PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 5-26

Lip Man 1
05-25-2007, 11:50 AM
May 26, 1959 - Bill Veeck was always good for a crazy stunt but this one topped the cake. Before a game against the Indians, midgets dressed up as Martians "landed" and captured Nellie Fox and Luis Aparicio. One of the midgets was Eddie Gaedel. "Terms" were discussed for releasing the two Sox players when the Martian leader, (Gaedel) said "don’t bother taking me to your leader (Veeck), I’ve already met him."

May 26, 1968 - In an effort to jump start a stagnant offense, Sox manager Eddie Stanky bats pitcher Gary Peters in the #6 slot in a game in New York. Peters who had 19 career home runs is listed in the order ahead of Luis Aparicio, Duane Josephson and Tim Cullen. The move doesn’t help as the Sox lose 5 - 1. (Peters discusses this day in White Sox history and more in his White Sox Interactive interview.)

May 26, 1976 - Newly acquired pitcher Ken Brett nearly throws a perfect game and then a no hitter, only to lose it on a controversial ruling by the official scorer. In a game in Anaheim, Brett had a perfect game for 7 2/3 rd’s innings before walking Leroy Stanton. Then with two out in the 9th inning of a scoreless game, Jerry Remy hit a ground ball that Sox 3rd baseman George Orta butchered, with the ball going under his glove. Official scorer Don Merry of the Long Beach Independent Telegram ruled it a hit. Other writers disagreed with the decision, the Sox players were incensed and announcer Harry Caray went crazy on air but the decision stood. Former Sox player Bill Melton would get a ‘clean’ single with one gone in the 10th inning ending the controversy. The Sox would finally win it 1 - 0 in eleven innings on a single by Bucky Dent. It was their 10th straight victory!

May 26, 1996 - For the first time in franchise history the Sox hit four home runs in an inning. It happened in a 12 - 1 rout over the Brewers at Comiskey Park. In the 8th inning Frank Thomas, Harold Baines, Robin Ventura and Chad Kreuter all found the seats.

http://i9.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/a0/30/2d21_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1961-TOPPS-303-GARY-PETERS-WHITE-SOX-EX_W0QQitemZ190115146015QQihZ009QQcategoryZ60489QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng) http://i17.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/80/5a/66d9_2.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-OPC-Baseball-Ken-Brett-21-Chicago-White-Sox-NM-MT_W0QQitemZ280063317319QQihZ018QQcategoryZ60506QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng)

Lip

jackbrohamer
05-25-2007, 11:54 AM
May 26, 1976 - Newly acquired pitcher Ken Brett nearly throws a perfect game and then a no hitter, only to lose it on a controversial ruling by the official scorer. In a game in Anaheim, Brett had a perfect game for 7 2/3 rd’s innings before walking Leroy Stanton. Then with two out in the 9th inning of a scoreless game, Jerry Remy hit a ground ball that Sox 3rd baseman George Orta butchered, with the ball going under his glove. Official scorer Don Merry of the Long Beach Independent Telegram ruled it a hit. Other writers disagreed with the decision, the Sox players were incensed and announcer Harry Caray went crazy on air but the decision stood. Former Sox player Bill Melton would get a ‘clean’ single with one gone in the 10th inning ending the controversy. The Sox would finally win it 1 - 0 in eleven innings on a single by Bucky Dent. It was their 10th straight victory!

Lip

That season sure went down the drain in a hurry after that point. I remember Caray going nuts about that call throughout the rest of the game; IIRC the game was not televised here, so I have never actually seen the play.

Lip Man 1
05-25-2007, 11:56 AM
I have about ten minutes of audio from that game including the play itself in my library, Harry went absolutely ballistic on the air when it happened.

Lip

TDog
05-25-2007, 01:19 PM
I have about ten minutes of audio from that game including the play itself in my library, Harry went absolutely ballistic on the air when it happened.

Lip

I remember a writer coming into the booth in the 10th inning saying the ruling couldn't stand. But of course, it did. There was some belief that the commissioner might overturn it. I had forgotten that it was Bill Melton got the clean single in the 10th for the Angels. In those days, Brett would have gotten credit for a no-hitter, but it would have been relegated to a different status by the commissioner some years later.

I was surprised a year after that game when the Sox traded Brett to the Angels for the Don Kirkwood, the tough-luck loser that night who gave up just one run in his 11-inning complete game. Kirkwood never even started a game for the Sox. He was bad enough in relief.

WhiteSox5187
05-25-2007, 02:19 PM
That season sure went down the drain in a hurry after that point. I remember Caray going nuts about that call throughout the rest of the game; IIRC the game was not televised here, so I have never actually seen the play.
I wasn't around in '76 but from what I've heard and read about that team, I'm shocked that they won ten games in a row.

FielderJones
05-25-2007, 02:39 PM
[/URL]George [URL="http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/O/Portaj001.htm"]Orta (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/O/Portaj001.htm)?

The Racehorse
05-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Lip

I wonder if Caray exclaimed that Orta lost that grounder in the sun... :sunshine:

chisox77
05-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Ken Brett:

Decent pitcher
Good hitter
Hated to see him get traded (especially during the '77 season)
Very good man
RIP

:cool: