PDA

View Full Version : Williams Tirade?

Lip Man 1
05-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Did anyone else notice this in a story from Mark Gonzales today?

First, they're all professionals," Williams said after the Sox responded to Sunday's six-minute Wrigley Field tunnel tirade with a three-game winning streak.

I knew of course that Kenny 'called out' the team to the media on the field Sunday but it looks like there was more to it.

Not that I'm complaining mind you, it was clearly called for.

Lip

The Immigrant
05-25-2007, 11:55 AM
KW should make that a pre-game tradition for the rest of the season.

Scottiehaswheels
05-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Wrigley Field Tunnel tirade? Well the place is a dump, I could see why he could yell about it for 6 minutes. :smile:

IlliniSox
05-25-2007, 01:18 PM
I just read that myself, everybody I asked hadn't heard anything about a tirade.

05-25-2007, 01:19 PM
I can't believe he only needed 6 minutes! :D:

billcissell
05-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Just read the article over lunch today, and I asked the same question. I know he ripped the club and said the performance to date was "unaccpetable", but what's this about a six minute tunnel tirade? How come it's the first we're hearing about this?

It's funny how Ozzie uses a few choice words during a radio interview last week and it gets all kinds of publicity. The knucklehead radio personality behind the questions blows up, promotes it all over the place and uses it to resurrect his career. He even manages to get kicked upstairs to WFAN in New York and attract praise from shock jock Howard Stern, who called it "real radio".

Go figure.

CLR01
05-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Just read the article over lunch today, and I asked the same question. I know he ripped the club and said the performance to date was "unaccpetable", but what's this about a six minute tunnel tirade? How come it's the first we're hearing about this?

It's funny how Ozzie uses a few choice words during a radio interview last week and it gets all kinds of publicity. The knucklehead radio personality behind the questions blows up, promotes it all over the place and uses it to resurrect his career. He even manages to get kicked upstairs to WFAN in New York and attract praise from shock jock Howard Stern, who called it "real radio".

Go figure.

And if Ozzie would have kept his tirade inside the clubhouse I'm sure it would have received just as much publicity. He couldn't do that though.

Good for KW, it was needed.

MRM
05-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Meaningless. This isn't a team full of rookies who are going to respond to the GM yelling at them. Save a couple of pitchers, nobody has to worry about losing their job. Konerko isn't going to be threatened with a trip to the minors if he doesn't start hitting better. Ditto Crede, AJ, or anyone else in the lineup. To make a big deal about the Sox winning 3 in a row against two sub-.500 teams after the "tirade" is hilarious. I think people are just ready to grasp at anything that might bring hope of a turnaround.

downstairs
05-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Meaningless. This isn't a team full of rookies who are going to respond to the GM yelling at them. Save a couple of pitchers, nobody has to worry about losing their job. Konerko isn't going to be threatened with a trip to the minors if he doesn't start hitting better. Ditto Crede, AJ, or anyone else in the lineup. To make a big deal about the Sox winning 3 in a row against two sub-.500 teams after the "tirade" is hilarious. I think people are just ready to grasp at anything that might bring hope of a turnaround.

I disagree. I'm sure a lot of players respect and consider themselves "on the side of" Kenny and Ozzie.

So to see them fly off the handle at your performance- that may hold some weight. Especially if the players were truly slacking and/or not putting forth the proper effort.

ondafarm
05-25-2007, 03:39 PM

Disagree totally. These guys are professionals and have a great deal of pride. While sending AJ to the minors isn't an option, splitting off more time for a back-up catcher is or even not resigning him at the end of his contract.

And the Sox beat the A's when they were above .500 and then at .500. The A's are never a lie down team, they are always a tough opponent, especially for the White Sox.

GoSox2K3
05-25-2007, 03:43 PM

the Sox record is 11-6 over the last 3 weeks. So, I don't agree with the notion that people are just grasping at hope of a turnaround.

...and it is possible to light a fire under people even if they know their job is secure.

MRM
05-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Disagree totally. These guys are professionals and have a great deal of pride.

That was my point. These are (mostly) veteran players who have a track record of success throughout their careers. Nobody is harder on them than they are on themselves. I don't think veterans are motivated or "inspired" by the GM or manager getting in their face yelling at them. The kids might need a kick in the pants sometimes, but the Konerkos and Thomes and Dyes and Credes and AJs and Iguchis of the world know what they need to do to turn it around without a verbal dressing down from papa Williams.

I don't have a problem with Kenny doing it, I just don't see it as the motivational factor others seem to. In fact, I can see something like that having the opposite effect if it becomes a regual occurance, causing players who are already struggling to press even more than they have been.

rocky biddle
05-25-2007, 04:05 PM
From what I recall, not only did KW say the team's recent play was "embarrassing," he also said he was going to evaluate if changes needed to be made. So while I agree that a little 6 minute tirade might not inspire a bunch of millionaire pro athletes to play better, the thought of a trade to a lesser squad might. Ya never know...

And job security or not, your boss calling your recent performance "embarrassing" is always gonna be a motivational factor.

chisox77
05-25-2007, 10:13 PM
KW rocks. He takes the old school approach. He would have been a good football coach.

:cool: