PDA

View Full Version : Magglio

jshanahanjr
05-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Is Maggs having a year or what????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy is a player and I still think he's great even if he's no longer a White Sox. What does everbody else think?

CHISOXFAN13
05-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Is Maggs having a year or what????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The guy is a player and I still think he's great even if he's no longer a White Sox. What does everbody else think?

Hard to argue with those numbers. Unfortunately, his hot streak is killing the White Sox.

balke
05-24-2007, 04:59 PM
He's trying to make up for all the money he cost the tigers his first season.

sox1970
05-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Good luck to Maggs. Dye has a World Series MVP.

Foulke You
05-24-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm thinking that knee is probably finally back to being close to 100% which is why he suddenly has starting hitting like the Maggs of old. Look how long it took him to get to this point though. He had to suffer through an injury riddled 2005, a solid but not all-star year in '06, and is just now finally getting to the level of production the Tigers thought they were getting when they laid out the huge contract for him.

I'm still pretty happy with Jermaine Dye and that little old World Series trophy in '05.:cool:

lostfan
05-24-2007, 06:06 PM
I've never been mad at Mags, I don't know why some Sox fans hate on him so much.

DickAllen72
05-24-2007, 06:12 PM
I've never been mad at Mags, I don't know why some Sox fans hate on him so much.
Probably because he turned down a huge contract offer, refused to let the White Sox see his medical records, and then blasted the organization as "not wanting to win" after he left. That, and he looks ridiculous with that hair.

lostfan
05-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Probably because he turned down a huge contract offer, refused to let the White Sox see his medical records, and then blasted the organization as "not wanting to win" after he left. That, and he looks ridiculous with that hair.
I was overseas when most of that happened, now that I think about it.

I think the way Lance Briggs is acting is much much worse FWIW...

Dan the Man
05-24-2007, 06:33 PM
As stated, tought to argue with the numbers. He's got the most doubles and this afternoon he took the lead in RBIs. As much as I hated the way he bashed the Sox after he left, I still like him as a player. Glad he's on my fantasy team, after this afternoon he took the lead for most individual points of any player.

soxinem1
05-24-2007, 06:42 PM
I was going to start the same type of post. Yes, he is raking. He is without question the early MVP favorite, especially if DET wins the Central or WC. Sheffield wasn't hitting squat for a month, and now that Sheff is heating up a bit he is killing the ball even more.

This tandem is sort of reminding me of Franco/Thomas in 1994. Pick your poison, if you are the opposing pitcher.

I want him to hit like this against MIN (if they contend) and CLE the rest of the year.

WhiteSox5187
05-24-2007, 06:43 PM
That's exactly why I booed him when he first came back here. I don't mind him so much now.

lostfan
05-24-2007, 06:46 PM
That's exactly why I booed him when he first came back here. I don't mind him so much now.
What I don't get is why Indians fans haven't gotten over the whole Thome deal yet.

oeo
05-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Losing Maggs was one of the best things that could have happened to this organization, so I thank him for that. Thank you for being a total douche, without that, we'd be still waiting for a title.

dickallen15
05-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Magglio did the Sox a huge favor turning down the contract offer. Chances are 2005 would not have turned out as well with Maggs in the fold. It worked out for everybody. Magglio got his money. The Sox won a championship and Magglio has at least played in a WS and is with a contender. I still don't understand all the hate with Magglio ripping the White Sox. Its pretty much been standard procedure around here for a while. What Maggs said was no worse than what the current beloved foul-mouthed manager had to say when he departed as a player. Frank Thomas had a few departing shots. Carl Everett. Jack McDowell had some things to say. Of course he said a lot of those things while he was still a White Sox. And if you keep your mouth shut when they deal you, like Carlos Lee, the White Sox take a couple of shots at you.

Foulke You
05-24-2007, 07:15 PM
What I don't get is why Indians fans haven't gotten over the whole Thome deal yet.
An Indians fan I am friends with claims it is because of the "way he left". As if signing for far more money elsewhere is something that Cleveland players shouldn't do. He says that Tribe fans were upset that Thome quickly signed the deal with Philly without really giving the Indians a chance to match or beat the offer after saying he would.

Of course, anyone outside Cleveland who followed the situation knows that the Tribe was rebuilding with young cheaper talent and had no intention of bringing back Thome at the price the Phillies were offering. It would have made no sense. It was a classic '90s Reinsdorfian "we tried to bring him back but he left for more money" situation and the Tribe fans obviously bought it hook, line, and sinker as evidenced to the showers of boos he receives at the Jake. Honestly, I don't know how you boo such a likeable guy like Jim Thome who did so much for that team for so long.:?:

balke
05-24-2007, 07:34 PM
It'll be interesting to see if the Indians will cough up some dough or make a move for either a top starter, or bullpen help. To be that close to winning, and still be a bottom 5 payroll team is just mind boggling.

AJ Hellraiser
05-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Magglio was one of my favorite players ever to wear a White Sox uniform.... I was sad to see him go, but I completely understood why it happened...

I was angry about some things he said when he left, but after we won the Series in 2005 I remember reading a story about how sad Maggs was that he was watching all his ex-mates making the unbelievable run and he wasn't doing it with them... somewhere in the article Maggs even went onto say that he regrets not being on the Sox and winning the world series..

That made me forgive and forget... the article showed the pain and anguish he was going through during the 2005 playoffs as he watched his friends and former team make history.. not many professional athletes admit to feeling that way after they leave an organization

WSox597
05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
I always liked him as a player, and I still like him as a player. The back-biting between him and Guillen I could do without. Glad that's over.

He is in dire need of a Flobee, though. That hair looks plain stupid, it's like he's lost in a time warp from 1968.

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2007, 10:19 PM

I don't hate him, but he was hurtful in his departure from us. I understand the business aspects of it, and his departure definitely helped us get the pieces we needed to win the World Series. Having said that, he must seek forgiveness from us IMHO.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-24-2007, 10:49 PM

Yep.

DickAllen72
05-24-2007, 11:28 PM
One more thing--early in the 2004 season, he allegedly made comments to some reporters on how "awesome" it would be to play for the Cubs the next season.

soxfan13
05-24-2007, 11:34 PM
One more thing--early in the 2004 season, he allegedly made comments to some reporters on how "awesome" it would be to play for the Cubs the next season.

I think you are really reaching now for reasons to hate him. I personally never heard that and if someone has an article where he says that can you find it. Or did you hear that from your uncle who has a friend who has a cousin that dates a girl whose best friends father was that reporter.

DickAllen72
05-25-2007, 01:58 AM
I think you are really reaching now for reasons to hate him. I personally never heard that and if someone has an article where he says that can you find it. Or did you hear that from your uncle who has a friend who has a cousin that dates a girl whose best friends father was that reporter.
I don't make things up and I don't post sixth-hand rumors or gossip.

What I heard was by a reporter on a sportstalk show. Now I can't remember with 100% certainty, but I believe the show was probably Chicago Tribune Live and I'm pretty sure it was Phil Rogers.

On the show that I saw, they were discussing the possibility of Magglio playing for the Cubs the next season. The reporter, who I think was Phil Rogers said that one day on a flight back from a road trip Maggs was having an informal conversation with a group of reporters and asked them, "So where do you guys think I'll wind up playing next year?" One of the reporters suggested the Cubs may be interested in signing him and allegedly his eyes lit up and he said, "That would be awesome." I remember this because it really pissed me off at the time. Again, I don't know if what was stated really happened, but I definitely remember hearing it. Sorry I can't definitely confirm the show or the reporter since it's been a few years.

There was a thread here at WSI commenting on a Sun Times article from November of 04: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41713&page=2

Check out post #43, where a poster quotes this from the article: The New York Mets have been one of the most aggressive teams at the GM meetings inquiring about Ordonez, who last summer rated the Mets and Cubs among the top teams on his wish list.

Of course by December 04, after he officially ended his relationship with the Sox, he went on record saying: "Why not the Cubs?" Ordonez said from his Miami home. "I think it would be a good place for me. They have great fans. They're sold out every day. They have great pitching and they have a good chance to win it all. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42546

DickAllen72
05-25-2007, 02:11 AM
Losing Maggs was one of the best things that could have happened to this organization, so I thank him for that. Thank you for being a total douche, without that, we'd be still waiting for a title.
True that!

SoxandtheCityTee
05-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Hard to argue with those numbers. Unfortunately, his hot streak is killing the White Sox.

Oowow, I saw tonight that Maggs utterly owns the LAAA. No help there.

RadioheadRocks
05-25-2007, 04:00 AM
He is in dire need of a Flobee, though. That hair looks plain stupid, it's like he's lost in a time warp from 1968.

I would have loved seeing Magglio and Manny Ramirez (along with several others) get new 'dos on that Bravo show SHEAR GENIUS, especially if Evangelin would have hacked it all off with those hedge clippers! :rolling:

TommyJohn
05-25-2007, 08:39 AM

What I heard was by a reporter on a sportstalk show. Now I can't remember with 100% certainty, but I believe the show was probably Chicago Tribune Live and I'm pretty sure it was Phil Rogers.

On the show that I saw, they were discussing the possibility of Magglio playing for the Cubs the next season. The reporter, who I think was Phil Rogers said that one day on a flight back from a road trip Maggs was having an informal conversation with a group of reporters and asked them, "So where do you guys think I'll wind up playing next year?" One of the reporters suggested the Cubs may be interested in signing him and allegedly his eyes lit up and he said, "That would be awesome." I remember this because it really pissed me off at the time. Again, I don't know if what was stated really happened, but I definitely remember hearing it. Sorry I can't definitely confirm the show or the reporter since it's been a few years.

There was a thread here at WSI commenting on a Sun Times article from November of 04: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41713&page=2

Check out post #43, where a poster quotes this from the article:

Of course by December 04, after he officially ended his relationship with the Sox, he went on record saying:

There was a large Tribune headline during the 2004 season "Maggs: 'Why
not the Cubs?" The Trib was literally campaigning to get Ordonez to sign
with the Cubs. Everyone's favorite windsock then gleefully chimed in with
a column predicting that if Maggs went to the Cubs, it would kill the
White Sox as a franchise. They would be finished forever and ever. And
look! He was right!

Hitmen77
05-25-2007, 09:23 AM
There was a large Tribune headline during the 2004 season "Maggs: 'Why
not the Cubs?" The Trib was literally campaigning to get Ordonez to sign
with the Cubs. Everyone's favorite windsock then gleefully chimed in with
a column predicting that if Maggs went to the Cubs, it would kill the
White Sox as a franchise. They would be finished forever and ever. And
look! He was right!

That's how I remember it - that it was the Trib and the moron promoting the Maggs-to-the-Cubs scenario. It's the same as any other time there is an upcoming free agent. Remember Johnny Damon to the Cubs? Though not a free agent, the best was during offseason after '05 when Sully said the Cubs would be a great candidate for getting Tejada because "he wants to be traded to a winner".

As far as Magglio is concerned, like others have already said, his leaving the Sox led to the WS title for us. If we had paid him enough to stay, we'd be bitterly talking about a 90 year drought right now. For the Sox benefit this year, I hope he cools off in the 2nd half like he did last year.

soxfan13
05-25-2007, 09:26 AM

Check out post #43, where a poster quotes this from the article:

Of course by December 04, after he officially ended his relationship with the Sox, he went on record saying:

I do remember that but I still dont see him saying it would be "awesome". He said he wouldnt mind playing for the Cubs.

D. TODD
05-25-2007, 09:42 AM
I like Maggs, I just wish he was in a different division. I never had any animosity toward him on his departure he did exactly what he had to do to maximize his free agent year. It's business not personal people. It sucked that it put KW ans the Sox in a position where they could not compete for his services, but it is what it is as they say!

The Immigrant
05-25-2007, 09:57 AM
He needs a haircut.

http://www.vibrant.com/images/soul_glo.jpg

DickAllen72
05-25-2007, 12:11 PM
I do remember that but I still dont see him saying it would be "awesome". He said he wouldnt mind playing for the Cubs.
Again, I remember that story being told by a reporter on a talk show. I didn't hear it from someones uncle's brother's sister's friend's .....

TomBradley72
05-25-2007, 12:39 PM
I'm happy for Maggs...it's an example of really underestimating how long it can take to recover from a major injury.

I blame Willie Harris.

oeo
05-25-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm happy for Maggs...it's an example of really underestimating how long it can take to recover from a major injury.

I blame Willie Harris.

Or that, since the middle of April, he's just been hot? He'll cool down, with the rest of the Tigers and their amazing .310 team batting average in May. Then we'll see if their pitching can bounce back...and if doesn't, they don't stand a chance in this division. Unfortunately for the Tigers, they're taking the same approach we did in 2006, so unless they get their bullpen back, they're going to be in trouble down the stretch.

WhiteSox5187
05-25-2007, 03:29 PM
An Indians fan I am friends with claims it is because of the "way he left". As if signing for far more money elsewhere is something that Cleveland players shouldn't do. He says that Tribe fans were upset that Thome quickly signed the deal with Philly without really giving the Indians a chance to match or beat the offer after saying he would.

Of course, anyone outside Cleveland who followed the situation knows that the Tribe was rebuilding with young cheaper talent and had no intention of bringing back Thome at the price the Phillies were offering. It would have made no sense. It was a classic '90s Reinsdorfian "we tried to bring him back but he left for more money" situation and the Tribe fans obviously bought it hook, line, and sinker as evidenced to the showers of boos he receives at the Jake. Honestly, I don't know how you boo such a likeable guy like Jim Thome who did so much for that team for so long.:?:
I think had he come back to Cleveland with Philly, the reaction would have been different. But to come back in a White Sox uniform, their hated rivals, I think that was what made it different. It would be like if Buerhle leaves us and signs with the Twins or the Cubs. If he signed with the Cardinals, he'd get a standing ovation, but if he left us he Cubs or the Twins, he'd be booed.

The Immigrant
05-25-2007, 04:13 PM
It would be like if Buerhle leaves us and signs with the Twins or the Cubs.

Thome was traded to the White Sox.

He's booed in Cleveland because he left the Indians for more money. I think he'd get booed regardless of which team he was traded to.

MISoxfan
05-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Magglio was one of my favorite players ever to wear a White Sox uniform.... I was sad to see him go, but I completely understood why it happened...

I was angry about some things he said when he left, but after we won the Series in 2005 I remember reading a story about how sad Maggs was that he was watching all his ex-mates making the unbelievable run and he wasn't doing it with them... somewhere in the article Maggs even went onto say that he regrets not being on the Sox and winning the world series..

That made me forgive and forget... the article showed the pain and anguish he was going through during the 2005 playoffs as he watched his friends and former team make history.. not many professional athletes admit to feeling that way after they leave an organization

I'd really like to read this article.