PDA

View Full Version : Question about Upper Deck Seats.

asboog
05-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Several of my buddies from college and I are going to be at the game on Saturday and we have upper deck seats. We are in Sec 522 row 20 seats 11-16. I know there are some obstructed views up there now with the new roof. Will this be affecting us? I don't usually sit in the upper deck so I don't know. Thanks for you help.

MUsoxfan
05-24-2007, 12:34 AM
At row 20, I believe you'll probably have some obstruction.

chisoxmike
05-24-2007, 12:37 AM
There are 21 rows in the Upper Deck I believe. You probably will have obstruction.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Well, on opening day I was in the 2nd to last row and had great seats. I could see the whole field.

The Dude
05-24-2007, 01:13 AM
You will be obstructed. You might as well not go and just give your tickets to a bum or itsnotrequired.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2007, 08:03 AM
Several of my buddies from college and I are going to be at the game on Saturday and we have upper deck seats. We are in Sec 522 row 20 seats 11-16. I know there are some obstructed views up there now with the new roof. Will this be affecting us? I don't usually sit in the upper deck so I don't know. Thanks for you help.

I believe Row 16 is where the support columns are for the roof (column in each aisle). Seat 1 of a given row is on the "far" side of the section when viewed from home plate. Seats 11-16 will be closer to the 522-524 aisle than the 522-520 aisle and as such, you may have some obstruction when looking toward home plate, especially the area behind home plate. You will be able to see the entire outfield with the possible exception of the extreme right field corner and should be able to see the entire infield. With rain forecast for Saturday, you may not mind the seats under the roof!

You will be obstructed. You might as well not go and just give your tickets to a bum or itsnotrequired.

itsnotrequired-sessed

asboog
05-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I believe Row 16 is where the support columns are for the roof (column in each aisle). Seat 1 of a given row is on the "far" side of the section when viewed from home plate. Seats 11-16 will be closer to the 522-524 aisle than the 522-520 aisle and as such, you may have some obstruction when looking toward home plate, especially the area behind home plate. You will be able to see the entire outfield with the possible exception of the extreme right field corner and should be able to see the entire infield. With rain forecast for Saturday, you may not mind the seats under the roof!

Thanks. Im not too concerned about the obstruction unless i was sitting directly behind the pole. And the idea of being under the roof does sound good if it is going to rain. Thanks for all the help.

Mr.1Dog
05-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks. Im not too concerned about the obstruction unless i was sitting directly behind the pole. And the idea of being under the roof does sound good if it is going to rain. Thanks for all the help.

There are no seats directly behind the support beams. They are in the middle of the aisle.

gobears1987
05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
There are 21 rows in the Upper Deck I believe. You probably will have obstruction.I sat in row 21 of section 536 on Monday and had no obstructions.

tebman
05-24-2007, 12:35 PM
There are no seats directly behind the support beams. They are in the middle of the aisle.
That was one of the architectural quirks of Old Comiskey Park. Because of construction technology in 1910, there were many, many beams in the park and seats were installed in continuous rows with some seats directly behind posts. I could never figure out if that feature was Charles Comiskey's idea of a joke or if the builders were just too lame to notice when they bolted down the seats.

As for the current upper deck though, any obstruction up there is minimal. I've been up there too and it's no big deal. You'll get more obstructions from people gawking in the aisles.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2007, 01:54 PM
As for the current upper deck though, any obstruction up there is minimal. I've been up there too and it's no big deal. You'll get more obstructions from people gawking in the aisles.

An advantage of sitting way up top is that there are less people walking in the aisles. Also, the upper rows tend to have wider seats.

kevingrt
05-24-2007, 07:30 PM
An advantage of sitting way up top is that there are less people walking in the aisles. Also, the upper rows tend to have wider seats.

If you are in the last row you can stand up whenever you want to with anyone whining.

DumpJerry
05-24-2007, 11:45 PM
That was one of the architectural quirks of Old Comiskey Park. Because of construction technology in 1910, there were many, many beams in the park and seats were installed in continuous rows with some seats directly behind posts.
That was no quirk. That was Charles Comiskey being a cheap bastard who would not spend another $5,000 to do away with the posts for a different design to support the roof.

Brian26
05-25-2007, 09:45 AM
That was no quirk. That was Charles Comiskey being a cheap bastard who would not spend another $5,000 to do away with the posts for a different design to support the roof.

The other option would have been a cantilever design, which didn't become prevalent in sports stadii until the 1960's. The design and construction methods of 1910 didn't allow for any other options.

I won't debate with you about Chuck Comiskey's frugality. However, on this particular issue, I can't find fault with him. Every other stadium built during this time period had the same issues with support columns.