PDA

View Full Version : Strange stat on Sox' inability to sweep

kittle42
05-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Before the game, Josh Mora commented that, dating back one year, the Sox were 3-11 when going for a series sweep.

I was wondering whether this was a common number (law of averages type thing) or whether the Sox just can't put anyone away.

chisoxfanatic
05-23-2007, 11:14 PM
The Sox sure did a great sweeping job in October 2005. :D:

JB98
05-23-2007, 11:15 PM
1-9 in Game 3 after winning the first two games of a series since last June 23.

Only exception: The sweep of Detroit in August at the Cell.

UserNameBlank
05-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Before the game, Josh Mora commented that, dating back one year, the Sox were 3-11 when going for a series sweep.

I was wondering whether this was a common number (law of averages type thing) or whether the Sox just can't put anyone away.
It depends on if a fifth starter/spot starter/rookie/junkballer is on the mound. In that case the Sox don't have a chance. Especially if he is a lefty.

Blueprint1
05-24-2007, 01:11 AM
1-9 in Game 3 after winning the first two games of a series since last June 23.

Only exception: The sweep of Detroit in August at the Cell.

I was going to say this is the last sweep that I remember. To win the division you have to sweep some teams. You know that on the road or against hot teams your going to lose 2 out of 3 sometimes. This is why taking all three is very important.

kittle42
05-24-2007, 01:19 AM
I was going to say this is the last sweep that I remember. To win the division you have to sweep some teams. You know that on the road or against hot teams your going to lose 2 out of 3 sometimes. This is why taking all three is very important.

This is very true, especially against crap teams like the Royals a little while ago.

TDog
05-24-2007, 01:48 AM
This is very true, especially against crap teams like the Royals a little while ago.

Would that be the same crap team Royals that came from behind to beat the Indians in Cleveland's first two visits to Kansas City this year?

kittle42
05-24-2007, 03:37 AM
Would that be the same crap team Royals that came from behind to beat the Indians in Cleveland's first two visits to Kansas City this year?

Yes, the very same. Also the same ones who were swept by the Orioles and Tigers (and in 2 by the Sox). They're also one of the worst teams in baseball.

Unblyleven Bread
05-24-2007, 04:24 AM
It's because of Ozzy Guillen's crazy lineups.

voodoochile
05-24-2007, 06:54 AM
I seem to remember a similar thread after the first few months in 2005. That season turned out okay as I recall...:D:

daveeym
05-24-2007, 08:50 AM
I seem to remember a similar thread after the first few months in 2005. That season turned out okay as I recall...:D:Yeah, but that team did start sweeping some teams and putting 7-10 game win streaks together.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah, but that team did start sweeping some teams and putting 7-10 game win streaks together.

The Sox never won more than 8 games in a row in 2005. Point taken though, you need sweeps for streaks.

jabrch
05-24-2007, 09:29 AM

Manuel did this also. His "Sunday Lineups" were memorable.

Jurr
05-24-2007, 09:33 AM
I think it's safe to say that this team isn't "right" yet, but it's getting there. Taking 2 of 3 is a good goal until they really start to put all three phases together. They should be commended for being above .500 for all of the inconsistency the offense has gone through, especially with Thome out.

I feel that the streaks are coming soon.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2007, 09:36 AM

The crazy lineups are a result of injuries and bereavement lists. Book it.

Dan Mega
05-24-2007, 09:47 AM
The crazy lineups are a result of injuries and bereavement lists. Book it.

This is true. Its not like Ozzie is resorting to the dreaded *tinker tinker* days of the early 2000's.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Didn't they win eight in a row mutiple times in 2005?

Man, I"d love me just one of those Sox streaks right now.

daveeym
05-24-2007, 10:00 AM
The Sox never won more than 8 games in a row in 2005. Point taken though, you need sweeps for streaks.
You sure there were no 9 game streaks? I thought they had multiple and the running joke here against the dark clouds was that we could never finish off that 10 game win streak.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2007, 10:06 AM
You sure there were no 9 game streaks? I thought they had multiple and the running joke here against the dark clouds was that we could never finish off that 10 game win streak.

The Sox won 8 in a row three times in 2005 (four if you count the postseason). Never had a longer streak.

Hitmen77
05-24-2007, 11:40 AM
The Sox won 8 in a row three times in 2005 (four if you count the postseason). Never had a longer streak.

Five if you count the post-season. The last 5 regular season games plus the ALDS sweep was one streak. Then the last 4 ALCS games plus the World Series sweep was another 8 game streak. :)

TDog
05-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Yes, the very same. Also the same ones who were swept by the Orioles and Tigers (and in 2 by the Sox). They're also one of the worst teams in baseball.

The Tigers are 7-2 (.778) against KC. The Twins are 2-3 (.400). The Indians are 0-2 (.000). The White Sox are 4-1 (.800) and hold the best winning percentage against the Royals of any Central Division team. The Royals are 7-9 (.438) against Central Division teams other than the White Sox. They are playing .404 baseball overall. The Royals have a better success rate against the Tigers, Indians and Twins than they do the rest of the teams on their schedule. I wouldn't infer that they play in an easy division.

In Major League Baseball, even bad teams win sometimes. Even seemingly overmatched teams win sometimes. The White Sox seemed overmatched against the Cubs on Sunday, starting a reliever against the ace of the Cubs' staff in Wrigley Field. The White Sox won the game, but not because the Cubs lacked the character to sweep them.

People will be upset if the Sox don't sweep Tampa Bay. Forget the fact that Kazmir is tough and pitching Sunday or that Friday's starter has an ERA under 3. Or that the Devil Rays have a winning record against the Twins. Or that everyone at WSI fawns over the Devil Rays' centerfielder. They're a bad team, and obviously if the Sox don't sweep them, the coaches and players don't care.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Five if you count the post-season. The last 5 regular season games plus the ALDS sweep was one streak. Then the last 4 ALCS games plus the World Series sweep was another 8 game streak. :)

Ah, I forgot the regular/post split streak.:cool:

The Dude
05-24-2007, 02:16 PM
The Sox sure did a great sweeping job in October 2005. :D:

Who did they sweep back then?:?:

The Dude
05-24-2007, 02:17 PM

Well he does like to have the strangest lineups on the third game of a series. And forget it when it's a four game series! The lineups on those games make you want to :o::o::o::o:!

kevin57
05-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I would prefer a steady-as-you-go type ballclub to a streaky one. Take 2/3, 3/4, of each series and you'll be sitting pretty in October.

kittle42
05-24-2007, 05:24 PM
I would prefer a steady-as-you-go type ballclub to a streaky one. Take 2/3, 3/4, of each series and you'll be sitting pretty in October.

Yeah, IF YOU DO THAT EVERY SERIES, but you are gonna lose series, and even get swept occasionally. That's why a championship-level team can run off a few winning streaks in a season. You need 'em to more than make up for the down times. Then, if you 2/3 the rest of 'em, you're fine.

Brian26
05-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah, IF YOU DO THAT EVERY SERIES, but you are gonna lose series, and even get swept occasionally. That's why a championship-level team can run off a few winning streaks in a season. You need 'em to more than make up for the down times. Then, if you 2/3 the rest of 'em, you're fine.

Which is precisely what the '05 Sox did. If you go back and look at a couple of the runs that team went on, it was an amazing and phenomenal year that may never be matched. They book-ended a three-game losing streak with two eight-game winning streaks between the end of April and beginning of May. From April 18 to May 8, they went 16-3. In addition to their three regular season eight-game streaks, they also had a seven-game winning streak at the beginning of September. Add in their 16-1 run to finish the season, including 19 out of their 22, and it's just incredible season right up there with the '84 Tigers and '75 Reds.

When the Sox win their next World Series, I expect them to do it by sneaking in the backdoor with a Wild Card berth and 87 wins.