PDA

View Full Version : *official* 5-23-07 We forgot our brooms again Postgame thread vs. Oakland

PeoriaSoxFan
05-23-2007, 09:51 PM
As my pappy once told me a long time ago...."Son, you will never win a baseball game, if you can't score at least one run......." These words ring true even today.

:angry::raincloud:

Scoring 10 sure is a lot more fun. So much for my earlier optimism. I am sure it will ring true this weekend though. Note to WCIU, please broadcast games like these and leave the good games for Comcast or WGN for me to watch. Thank you.

:cuss::club::cuss:

Patrick134
05-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Another nice series win. Now let's do the same to Tampa.

Joe
05-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Gaudin is a damn good pitcher?:rolleyes:

whitesoxfan
Yeah, that was pretty bad.

With the hapless X-Rays coming into town, we need to sweep them. A 5-1 homestand would be nice.

PeoriaSoxFan

Agreed, I still have a dream of .600 baseball on the South Side.

delben91

Please remove your good feelings from this thread.

Thanks.

:wink:

JB98
Ran into a hot pitcher tonight.

Disappointed that we could not finish the sweep.

LongLiveFisk
05-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I didn't get to see this game, but apparently I didn't miss much.

Were the Sox just dominated by an outstanding pitching performance or did the offense look like it fell asleep again?

JB98
05-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah, that was pretty bad.

With the hapless X-Rays coming into town, we need to sweep them. A 5-1 homestand would be nice.

We will win the first two, and then lose on Sunday. And everyone will rejoice about another two out of three. :D:

whitesoxfan
05-23-2007, 09:55 PM
I didn't get to see this game, but apparently I didn't miss much.

Were the Sox just dominated by an outstanding pitching performance or did the offense look like it fell asleep again?

I'd say it was a combination of both.

MCHSoxFan
05-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Very very disapointed. I thought Garland woud be good and then, we would have another great offenseive win. 2 good things though. One, my brother was there. He bought the tickets on Monday for today. He got todays tickets, but was charged the Monday's 1/2 price night price. $20 to sit in 537 row 4. Lastly, I think, but I am not sure, but the Indians either lost or are losing.

Now, let's get the Ray's!!! I am going to the WHOLE series.

whitesoxfan
05-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Lastly, I think, but I am not sure, but the Indians either lost or are losing.

Indians are down 9-5 in the bottom of the 8th.

southsideirish71
05-23-2007, 10:01 PM
We will win the first two, and then lose on Sunday. And everyone will rejoice about another two out of three. :D:

Well the guy we face on Friday isnt too shaby. he is 3-0 with a 2.94 ERA and a microscopic WHIP of .92.

The next few pitching matchups are going to be hard for us. Shields on Friday, Kazmir on Sunday, Johan on Monday and Bonser on Tuesday doesnt say lets crush them.

MCHSoxFan
05-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Indians are down 9-5 in the bottom of the 8th.

Thanks. DET won. Not AS important.

JB98
05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Well the guy we face on Friday isnt too shaby. he is 3-0 with a 2.94 ERA and a microscopic WHIP of .92.

The next few pitching matchups are going to be hard for us. Shields on Friday, Kazmir on Sunday, Johan on Monday and Bonser on Tuesday doesnt say lets crush them.

Truthfully, I'm more worried about facing Jackson on Saturday. He's 0-6 with an ERA over 6.

Dan Mega
05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Ah well. Crap happens, nothing to worry about. Time to crush Tampa.

chisoxfanatic
05-23-2007, 10:06 PM
If that isn't low-balling there, I don't know what is! Sox fans should have so much more confidence than this! :wink:

Now the bats can reel off a huge chunk more of runs over the next three series. I expect no less than an 8-2 record over these next 10 games! 9 would be nice, 10 would be fantastic.

JB98
05-23-2007, 10:09 PM
If that isn't low-balling there, I don't know what is! Sox fans should have so much more confidence than this! :wink:

Now the bats can reel off a huge chunk more of runs over the next three series. I expect no less than an 8-2 record over these next 10 games! 9 would be nice, 10 would be fantastic.

Truthfully, I think we should beat the Devil Rays three straight. I'm just making light of the mentality around here that we are satisfied with two out of three.

I think we are capable of a long winning streak, not just winning series.

Rob190
05-23-2007, 10:16 PM

He actually has been pitching real well so far this year.

chisoxmike
05-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Not much you can do when Gaudin is that dominating.

Mackowiak hit the longest single I've ever seen.

The Devil Rays always worry me, they don't ditch you at the prom, they'll keep dancing with you. Hopefully the bullpen goes into Kenny's "lockdown" mode.

We need to go on a little streak here, winning 2 out of 3 every series isn't going to get it done.

Joe
05-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Sox offense make guys like Gaudin, look like Sandy Koufax.

ilsox7
05-23-2007, 10:25 PM

You may want to look at the guy's track record this year before making ignorant statements.

oeo
05-23-2007, 10:36 PM
Just got beat by a good pitcher tonight.

Would have been nice had Ozzie not pinch hit for Cintron in the 8th. We needed a clutch hit, not someone to start a rally; Pablo is the last guy I want up there when we're down by 4 with the bases loaded. Bad choice there Ozzman, especially since Cintron is a switch hitter.

The Sox have been swinging the bats well these past few games, so I'm pretty sure a good pitcher just beat us today. Just because you don't hear about him on ESPN, does not mean he's some mediocre piece of ****. He's 24 and having a great season; how exactly is he a bad pitcher? A guy like Chad Durbin is someone we should beat (and have not this year), Chad Gaudin is a young, and apparently, up-and-coming pitcher.

southsideirish71
05-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Just got beat by a good pitcher tonight.

Would have been nice had Ozzie not pinch hit for Cintron in the 8th. We needed a clutch hit, not someone to start a rally; Pablo is the last guy I want up there when we're down by 4 with the bases loaded. Bad choice there Ozzman, especially since Cintron is a switch hitter.

The Sox have been swinging the bats well these past few games, so I'm pretty sure a good pitcher just beat us today. Just because you don't hear about him on ESPN, does not mean he's some mediocre piece of ****. He's 24 and having a great season; how exactly is he a bad pitcher? A guy like Chad Durbin is someone we should beat (and have not this year), Chad Gaudin is a young, and apparently, up-and-coming pitcher.

So the last 7 weeks we have been running into hot pitching???

I love it how 3 games of hitting and the sox offense is ready to roll. Usually I would wait a bit more than 3 games to declare the team fixed from an offensive standpoint. If 98% of the time you see something, you dont declare that the 2 percent is the norm. Lets see the offense hit well over a week or so before we declare them fixed. I remember seeing a lot of times before 05 when we would score 10 runs 2 games in a row, and then would struggle to score a few runs on a few hits for the next week.

Pablo Ozuna should not of pinch hit. That mad little sense.
Garland out there after 107 pitches was a bit odd also.

DSpivack
05-23-2007, 10:46 PM

I love it how 3 games of hitting and the sox offense is ready to roll. Usually I would wait a bit more than 3 games to declare the team fixed from an offensive standpoint. If 98% of the time you see something, you dont declare that the 2 percent is the norm. Lets see the offense hit well over a week or so before we declare them fixed. I remember seeing a lot of times before 05 when we would score 10 runs 2 games in a row, and then would struggle to score a few runs on a few hits for the next week.

Pablo Ozuna should not of pinch hit. That mad little sense.
Garland out there after 107 pitches was a bit odd also.

Coming into tonight's game, he was 3-1 with a 2.58 ERA. That's no slouch.

FielderJones
05-23-2007, 10:46 PM
We need to go on a little streak here, winning 2 out of 3 every series isn't going to get it done.

By my calculations, winning 2 out of 3 the rest of the way will get us 102 wins. You don't think 102 will take the Central? :nuts:

chisoxmike
05-23-2007, 10:49 PM
By my calculations, winning 2 out of 3 the rest of the way will get us 102 wins. You don't think 102 will take the Central? :nuts:

I counted 96. So I underestimated the feat I guess...:redface:

oeo
05-23-2007, 10:51 PM

No, but you could argue that the pitching we ran into the last three games was not very good, and we tore them apart. So this theory that we cannot beat bad pitchers right now is wrong. We just killed a bad pitcher yesterday; today we ran into a good one.

I love it how 3 games of hitting and the sox offense is ready to roll. Usually I would wait a bit more than 3 games to declare the team fixed from an offensive standpoint. If 98% of the time you see something, you dont declare that the 2 percent is the norm. Lets see the offense hit well over a week or so before we declare them fixed. I remember seeing a lot of times before 05 when we would score 10 runs 2 games in a row, and then would struggle to score a few runs on a few hits for the next week. It could have been that they ran into bad pitching. Regardless, we ran into a good pitcher today and got beat. We're not going to win every night, get over it. No matter how hot or cold the bats are, when you run into a pitcher that is on, it's going to be hard to beat him unless your starter matches it. Jon couldn't do that tonight, we got shut down, so move on and go get the Rays on Friday.

Garland out there after 107 pitches was a bit odd also.No surprise here, Ozzie always tries to get his starter the victory.

southsideirish71
05-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Well Friday's pitcher should make you smile. He has a simliar ERA, a better WHIP and a 3-0 record. Oh and he is changeup - breaking ball pitcher.

Edit: I dont believe we have faced him either.

chisoxmike
05-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Oh and he is changeup - breaking ball pitcher.

Friday is a loss then. No teal.

Guys with change-ups and good curve balls school our hitters.

southsideirish71
05-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Friday is a loss then. No teal.

Guys with change-ups and good curve balls school our hitters.

He is also Aaron Rowands cousin.

FielderJones
05-23-2007, 11:02 PM
I counted 96. So I underestimated the feat I guess...:redface:

Now you're making me double-check ...

43 games in the books, 119 to go. 119 * 0.667 = 79(.373)
79 + 23 = 102; yep, I got it right. :tongue:

chisoxmike
05-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Now you're making me double-check ...

43 games in the books, 119 to go. 119 * 0.667 = 79(.373)
79 + 23 = 102; yep, I got it right. :tongue:

I didn't count every 2 out of 3, I counted 2 games per series with the exception of one. Regardless, I was wrong.

WhiteSox5187
05-23-2007, 11:05 PM
We ran into some good pitching today...AJ shoulda scored on that flyball from Mack (but I can see why he thought Swisher caught the ball) and maybe that could have lead to something. Nothing to be ashamed of though, some nights you just don't have it. If we play six hundred ball for the rest of the year, we'll be playing well into October.

Joe
05-23-2007, 11:06 PM
You may want to look at the guy's track record this year before making ignorant statements.

Wow, a combined 211 innings pitched. Damn, what a stud.:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
05-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I'll take 102 wins before October 1st any time.

We will win Friday because it will be Burl's 100th career win.

I was there tonight. Lackluster at the plate, Garland did not have good command. The leather (Gooch) kept us competative.

chisoxmike
05-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Wow, a combined 211 innings pitched. Damn, what a stud.:rolleyes:

:dtroll:

ilsox7
05-23-2007, 11:12 PM
:dtroll:

Yea, that sums it up pretty good.

Navarro's Talent
05-24-2007, 12:07 AM
Hopefully, this game isn't a setback for the offense. The lineup seems to finally have a good swing, and we don't need to see them fall back now.

Blueprint1
05-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Not much you can do when Gaudin is that dominating.

Mackowiak hit the longest single I've ever seen.

The Devil Rays always worry me, they don't ditch you at the prom, they'll keep dancing with you. Hopefully the bullpen goes into Kenny's "lockdown" mode.

Sorry, but were not going to win 2 out of 3 games every series for the rest of the year. To win the division you have to sweep some series.

TDog
05-24-2007, 12:28 AM
He actually has been pitching real well so far this year.

He's now 4-1 with an ERA of 2.58 as a starter for a team that hasn't been giving him any offensive support. He has been a better pitcher than Danks. Coming into this series, I thought this would be the toughtest game for the Sox to win.

I didn't see the game, but I've seen Gaudin pitch.

Meanwhile, the Indians lost in KC for the second straight night. In both games in KC, the Indians lost after going ahead 3-0. The White Sox have only lost to KC once. Detroit and now the Indians have lost to KC twice. Minnesota has lost three games to KC.

hi im skot
05-24-2007, 01:29 AM
There goes my dream of a perfect record for games I'm in attendance at this season.

Another home run thrown back; can we start kicking this idiots out for that behavior?

I waited too long to get tickets for WSI Fest on Saturday, but I'll be in attendance anyway...perhaps I can meet up with some of you fine folks post game?

ilsox7
05-24-2007, 01:34 AM
Another home run thrown back; can we start kicking this idiots out for that behavior?

They used to do it. But it appears no one cares anymore. They should really tape AJ or Mark doing a piece saying that when you catch a HR ball, throwing it back will result in ejection. Instead, give it to a kid. If they advertised this, I think we'd see a dramatic decrease in balls being thrown onto the field.

It's Dankerific
05-24-2007, 01:42 AM
They used to do it. But it appears no one cares anymore. They should really tape AJ or Mark doing a piece saying that when you catch a HR ball, throwing it back will result in ejection. Instead, give it to a kid. If they advertised this, I think we'd see a dramatic decrease in balls being thrown onto the field.

I would be very happy if they threw out the lame-o's throwing HR balls back. In any case, I think a PSA by one of the Sox players would probably have a positive effect regardless of a penalty.

goon
05-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Well Friday's pitcher should make you smile. He has a simliar ERA, a better WHIP and a 3-0 record. Oh and he is changeup - breaking ball pitcher.

Edit: I dont believe we have faced him either.

Jamie Shields, I picked him up for my fantasy team about six starts ago. Locates a 92-93 MPH fastball well, a devastating change up, great curve too, though he doesn't throw it a ton. He's one of the top 5 pitchers in the AL right now. I hope we get to him on Friday, but Buehrle pitching a gem wouldn't hurt.

I was at the game tonight, looked like the ump had a few bad calls, especially one on Paul. Oh well.

Grzegorz
05-24-2007, 04:50 AM

Garland is fine; the team seems to be coming out of its offensive slump. They took the A's series and now it is time to take the D-Rays series. Sweeps are nice but so are series wins.

All in all I am pleased. Do not look forward to the Twinkies; take care of business one day at a time. If the Chicago White Sox follow that philosophy all will be good at the end of the year.

gobears1987
05-24-2007, 04:58 AM
actually he is. Look at his statistics. His ERA was in the 2's coming into the game.

I'd rather be shutout by a good pitcher than by Cy Ponson.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Bah.

Sig update time...

Hitmen77
05-24-2007, 08:05 AM
The good news is that none of our rivals seem to be ready to run away with the division.

Sometimes, hot pitchers just shut you down. The problem is we're going to see two more great pitchers this weekend. At some point, you have got to stop tipping your cap and start finding ways to get some runs and run up pitch counts against these guys.

INSox56
05-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Should I stop going to games? Maybe. Last three games I"ve gone to have been the most boring, ****ty games I've been to in a long time....zero offense and garland pitching REAAAAAAAAAALLY slowly with a lot of balls isn't a fun combination to watch. Oh well, reading up on the probables before the series, I knew this would be a tough game.

One question, for those who went to the game.....*** was AJ doing in the 8th on Mac's hit. I know you need to possibly tag up, but GMAB. The guy was at the wall and still moving back, AJ was standing about 3 feet from 2nd; Juan was virtually standing on top of him. What happened to running halfway or 3/4 on a long fly ball. IMO he should have been mostly to third and then been able to score on that. Oh well, way we were hitting we may not have scored any more after that.

I'm fairly glad I'll be in NJ this weekend and won't be able to see the games, I'm not very optimistic about winning this Drays series, nor the Twinks series after that. This kid on Friday looks to be pretty damn good....combined with the fact that we've never seen him before makes him a cy young candidate. Sat we should win, but the only chance I see us having against Kazmir is getting his pitch count up (which has been a problem for him) and getting to the pen. Santana, Bonser to start the next series....ugh. Could be a long 6 days. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Jurr
05-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Should I stop going to games? Maybe. Last three games I"ve gone to have been the most boring, ****ty games I've been to in a long time....zero offense and garland pitching REAAAAAAAAAALLY slowly with a lot of balls isn't a fun combination to watch. Oh well, reading up on the probables before the series, I knew this would be a tough game.

One question, for those who went to the game.....*** was AJ doing in the 8th on Mac's hit. I know you need to possibly tag up, but GMAB. The guy was at the wall and still moving back, AJ was standing about 3 feet from 2nd; Juan was virtually standing on top of him. What happened to running halfway or 3/4 on a long fly ball. IMO he should have been mostly to third and then been able to score on that. Oh well, way we were hitting we may not have scored any more after that.

I'm fairly glad I'll be in NJ this weekend and won't be able to see the games, I'm not very optimistic about winning this Drays series, nor the Twinks series after that. This kid on Friday looks to be pretty damn good....combined with the fact that we've never seen him before makes him a cy young candidate. Sat we should win, but the only chance I see us having against Kazmir is getting his pitch count up (which has been a problem for him) and getting to the pen. Santana, Bonser to start the next series....ugh. Could be a long 6 days. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Love your enthusiasm.

jabrch
05-24-2007, 08:40 AM
I'm fairly glad I'll be in NJ this weekend and won't be able to see the games, I'm not very optimistic about winning this Drays series, nor the Twinks series after that.

Could be a long 6 days. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

:darkclouds:

The Immigrant
05-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Sorry, but were not going to win 2 out of 3 games every series for the rest of the year. To win the division you have to sweep some series.

< teal > :darkclouds: < teal >

The Immigrant
05-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Man, that game took forever given how few runs were scored. Garland was taking his sweet time to throw the ball and his pitch count was through the roof. Running him out there to start the 7th was a curious decision, even with the bottom of the order coming up.

I hope I never again witness Pablo Ozuna coming in as a pinch hitter with the bases loaded. :kukoo: Did Toby Hall run over Ozzie's dog? Ugh.

The Devil Rays are tied for the fewest road wins in the AL. Two out of three is a must.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Man, that game took forever given how few runs were scored. Garland was taking his sweet time to throw the ball and his pitch count was through the roof. Running him out there to start the 7th was a curious decision, even with the bottom of the order coming up.

I hope I never again witness Pablo Ozuna coming in as a pinch hitter with the bases loaded. :kukoo: Did Toby Hall run over Ozzie's dog? Ugh.

The Devil Rays are tied for the fewest road wins in the AL. Two out of three is a must.

:?:

Ozuna is a bench player and an excellent pinch hitter. He has struggled this year with runners in scoring position but hit .424 with RISP last season. Despite his struggles, he is hitting .333 in late innings this season.

INSox56
05-24-2007, 09:37 AM
*****. I didn't say we're gonna lose, we suck, we're horrible, the season is over. Jesus I just said things don't ****ing look great. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Looking at things objectively with matchups, you can say we might be in trouble here. It's called being ****ing realistic and analyzing, not oh well we're screwed, time to give up or mindlessly optimistic "just because". Just because the offense is hitting better doesn't mean a pitcher can't do his job and shut us down.

The Immigrant
05-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Ozuna is a bench player and an excellent pinch hitter. He has struggled this year with runners in scoring position but hit .424 with RISP last season. Despite his struggles, he is hitting .333 in late innings this season.

Pablo Ozuna has 3 RBI in 26 games this season. He only has two extra base hits in those 26 games. Based on these numbers, in addition to the highlighted part above, Toby Hall would have been a better choice to pinch hit with the bases loaded - especially since KW signed him to hit left-handed pitchers. But that's just my humble opinion.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Pablo Ozuna has 3 RBI in 26 games this season. He only has two extra base hits in those 26 games. Based on these numbers, in addition to the highlighted part above, Toby Hall would have been a better choice to pinch hit with the bases loaded - especially since KW signed him to hit left-handed pitchers. But that's just my humble opinion.

Ozuna also brings speed that Toby Hall couldn't possibly come close to duplicating. With the bases loaded and down by four, I would rather have a speedster batting than another Konerko turtle clogging the bases.

ilsox7
05-24-2007, 09:54 AM
*****. Looking at things objectively with matchups, you can say we might be in trouble here.

How so? There is 1 awful pitcher going in this series: he is a Devil Ray. In the other 2 games, the match-ups are close, with each team having an "advantage." How is that trouble? Who knows what will happen, but the match-ups certainly do not overwhelmingly favor Tampa Bay. In fact, I'd say the match-ups favor the Sox to take 2/3.

palehozenychicty
05-24-2007, 09:55 AM
I had a feeling that we weren't going to get this one with Gaudin on the mound. Let's get 'em on Friday!

JGarlandrules20
05-24-2007, 09:59 AM
You can blame that loss on me!
I'm so much bad luck now, I need to stay away from sox games. :(:

PorkChopExpress
05-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Ozuna also brings speed that Toby Hall couldn't possibly come close to duplicating. With the bases loaded and down by four, I would rather have a speedster batting than another Konerko turtle clogging the bases.

Then get him on base and pinch run for him.

DickAllen72
05-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Good point. I had no problem with Ozuna in that situation. If anything, you know he probably won't hit into a double play.

Sox again suffered from poor baserunning last night.

itsnotrequired
05-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Then get him on base and pinch run for him.

But then Hall gets burned up. What if the game goes to extras? Ozuna is just fine against lefties (highest average on the team for those with 30+ at-bats against lefties).

Had Ozuna gotten a hit, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Had Hall pinch hit and not gotten a hit, we would be talking about why Ozuna wasn't in there.

Joe
05-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Also, Toby Hall had the power to tie the game up. Take a chance. It may have worked or not. But, i'd would of like to seen a guy with some power, like Toby. Whatever.

FielderJones
05-24-2007, 10:48 AM

Mike made the assertion that winning two out of three the rest of the year would not get the job done. Mathematically I showed that winning two out of three would get the job done. I said nothing about the probability of actually accomplishing that feat.

Since there are a bunch of four-game series left in the schedule, but no two-game series, we would need some sweeps and some splits of the four-game series to accomplish this goal, which is essentially to play .667 ball the rest of the way.

jabrch
05-24-2007, 10:52 AM
*****. I didn't say we're gonna lose, we suck, we're horrible, the season is over. Jesus I just said things don't ****ing look great. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Looking at things objectively with matchups, you can say we might be in trouble here. It's called being ****ing realistic and analyzing, not oh well we're screwed, time to give up or mindlessly optimistic "just because". Just because the offense is hitting better doesn't mean a pitcher can't do his job and shut us down.

How the heck can you walk into it pessimistic being at home against one of the worst teams in baseball, and then on the road against a team that is scuffling (lost 5 of their last 7 serieses, only beating the pathetic Rangers and the Brewers), when we are coming off of winning 5 of our last 6 serieses.

Are we going to win both serieses? Who the heck knows - you wins some and lose some. We've lost serieses to worse teams than the 2007 Devil Rays (like the 2006 Devil Rays and the 2006 Royals), but there's just no reason to have negative thoughts going into these six games unless you are an overly negative person - in which case the graphic I posted - with no other text - still entirely applies.

There's nothing wrong with being negative - if that's what you are. But please don't get offended by being called out for it. It's an occupational hazzard. If you posted a picture of a leprauchan diddling on a rainbow of cotton candy and falling into a pillow of Silver and Black cotton candy, I'd accept that as a characterization of my outlook. I look at things as objectively as you do - and then find the good in them to focus on. You look at them objectively - and are obviously looking (at least in this case) at the most negative possible outcome. That's not bad - that's nature.

3 vs Tampa and 3 vs Minny

To me, the odds are good we go 4 of 6. I'd be shocked if we don't at least split. If we win 2/3 at home the rest of the year, and go .500 on the road, that gets us 93 wins which should get us into the post season, right?

Smile kiddo - everything will be OK. :-)

*jason turns his desk chair to his replica World Series Trophy, smiles, and goes back to work.*

INSox56
05-24-2007, 11:13 AM
How the heck can you walk into it pessimistic being at home against one of the worst teams in baseball, and then on the road against a team that is scuffling (lost 5 of their last 7 serieses, only beating the pathetic Rangers and the Brewers), when we are coming off of winning 5 of our last 6 serieses.

Are we going to win both serieses? Who the heck knows - you wins some and lose some. We've lost serieses to worse teams than the 2007 Devil Rays (like the 2006 Devil Rays and the 2006 Royals), but there's just no reason to have negative thoughts going into these six games unless you are an overly negative person - in which case the graphic I posted - with no other text - still entirely applies.

There's nothing wrong with being negative - if that's what you are. But please don't get offended by being called out for it. It's an occupational hazzard. If you posted a picture of a leprauchan diddling on a rainbow of cotton candy and falling into a pillow of Silver and Black cotton candy, I'd accept that as a characterization of my outlook. I look at things as objectively as you do - and then find the good in them to focus on. You look at them objectively - and are obviously looking (at least in this case) at the most negative possible outcome. That's not bad - that's nature.

3 vs Tampa and 3 vs Minny

To me, the odds are good we go 4 of 6. I'd be shocked if we don't at least split. If we win 2/3 at home the rest of the year, and go .500 on the road, that gets us 93 wins which should get us into the post season, right?

Smile kiddo - everything will be OK. :-)

*jason turns his desk chair to his replica World Series Trophy, smiles, and goes back to work.*Well I understand where you're coming from and appreciate that you have some insight and express some sort of....understanding(?)...instead of just saying "dark cloud, go screw off" like many others do. I'm not necessarily saying we are going to lose, nor was I being overtly negative. I was just saying, we cannot overlook the possibility of this being a tough 6 games. Everyone I've heard on the radio or a lot of people on WSI talk about it's just the Rays and Minnesota's struggling. Well, it's not as cut and dried as that. This could be tougher than it seems

JB98
05-24-2007, 12:08 PM
You can blame that loss on me!
I'm so much bad luck now, I need to stay away from sox games. :(:

The Sox are 2-6 with me in attendance this year. We've been outscored 19-2 in my last two trips to the ballpark. I'm like you: It's getting to the point where I'm questioning whether I should go anymore.The two wins I saw were Mark's no-no, and the ninth-inning comeback against the Royals. Those were good ones to see, but I've also witnessed some ugly, ugly losses.

champagne030
05-24-2007, 12:36 PM
actually he is. Look at his statistics. His ERA was in the 2's coming into the game.

I'd rather be shutout by a good pitcher than by Cy Ponson.

He's not brutal, but against the rest of the league his ERA is 3.71. We have made him look much better than he is. The book on the White Sox is offspeed away. We've been way too pull happy, as a team, for almost a year now.

Paulwny
05-24-2007, 01:00 PM
About Hall pinch hitting, Very few if any managers will use their only available catcher to ph. If Hall ph's and the next inning or if the game goes extra innings AJ gets injured , you're looking for the disaster catcher. I believe that Konerko is the back-up option.
I know it's a rarity, the catcher getting injured in this situation, but if it did occur the fans and reporters would have the manager on the hot seat for not anticipating this occurrance.

WhiteSox5187
05-24-2007, 01:41 PM
About Hall pinch hitting, Very few if any managers will use their only available catcher to ph. If Hall ph's and the next inning or if the game goes extra innings AJ gets injured , you're looking for the disaster catcher. I believe that Konerko is the back-up option.
I know it's a rarity, the catcher getting injured in this situation, but if it did occur the fans and reporters would have the manager on the hot seat for not anticipating this occurrance.
I agree...and ya know, Pablo coulda brought in two runs with a basehit and then we have the top of the order coming up and things look good. We just didn't get the job done last night against a good pitcher. This isn't the end of the world. Sometimes you just tip your hat and say "Oooh, he's good." Now let's go beat the brains out of Tampa tommorrow and take it from there. I wasn't disgusted with our performance last night.

oeo
05-24-2007, 02:06 PM

And Cintron was 6/12 last year with 18 RBIs when the bases were loaded. There's no need to take Cintron out of the game, as he is a switch hitter. Pablo should pinch hit to start an inning, to start a rally...not come up in his swing-happy ways with the bases loaded and we're down by 4.

The emergency catcher is actually Mackowiak. Anyway, I still think there was no need for a pinch hitter, but even if Ozzie were to bring Hall up there, there's nothing wrong with that. You're behind by 4, I think you take your chances with maybe having to use your emergency catcher. If you're leading, the game is tied, or within a run, no way IMO, but that's a chance that could be taken when you're down by 4.

jabrch
05-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Well I understand where you're coming from and appreciate that you have some insight and express some sort of....understanding(?)...instead of just saying "dark cloud, go screw off" like many others do. I'm not necessarily saying we are going to lose, nor was I being overtly negative. I was just saying, we cannot overlook the possibility of this being a tough 6 games. Everyone I've heard on the radio or a lot of people on WSI talk about it's just the Rays and Minnesota's struggling. Well, it's not as cut and dried as that. This could be tougher than it seems

I agree with you - It is NEVER easy. Not in baseball. The worst teams in baseball still win about 60 games. They have to beat someone. I agree that even with that Minny struggling and Tampa sucking it still won't be easy. You never just walk onto the field and win - you have to earn it.

That said, we have every reason to be believe that we should come out of these 6 games no worse than 3-3, and hopefully better.

Hitmen77
05-25-2007, 10:54 AM

I agree. And yet, Joe Cowley today says:
..That shaky Tampa Bay pitching staff would seem to be the perfect matchup for a Sox offense...
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/401389,CST-SPT-sdeck25.article

:?:Did he even look to see who Tampa has pitching this weekend? I would exactly call Shields and Kazmir "shaky".

FedEx227
05-25-2007, 11:08 AM
To be fair though, Edwin Jackson does enough shaking to bring everyone down.