PDA

View Full Version : Troy Percival

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Since he wants to attempt a comeback, what is everyone's view towards the Sox signing him? My only worry is that he would turn into another Jeff Nelson.

jabrch
05-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Since he wants to attempt a comeback, what is everyone's view towards the Sox signing him? My only worry is that he would turn into another Jeff Nelson.

No thanks - he looked done when we last saw him.

rowand33
05-23-2007, 07:29 PM

He says his elbow is healthy; I'd have absolutely no problem signing him to a minor league deal and seeing what happens. It's a low risk, high reward deal.

If he sucks, then he sucks and has to call it a career. But maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and have another solid bullpen arm, it's not like we'd be expecting him to close.

IndianWhiteSox
05-24-2007, 10:17 AM

He didn't retire on his own terms remember?

I'll say pass unless his arm is healthy and he can recover his velocity from a long time ago.

Although that would be pretty funny, if two former Angels farmhands are leading the bullpen to another world series.

That said, Percival is done, so I'll pass.

eriqjaffe
05-24-2007, 10:28 AM
He says his elbow is healthy; I'd have absolutely no problem signing him to a minor league deal and seeing what happens. It's a low risk, high reward deal."

There's no real harm in having him pitch for Charlotte. Maybe he can help Gavin Floyd improve, if nothing else.

soxfan13
05-24-2007, 11:09 AM
He says his elbow is healthy; I'd have absolutely no problem signing him to a minor league deal and seeing what happens. It's a low risk, high reward deal.

If he sucks, then he sucks and has to call it a career. But maybe you catch lightning in a bottle and have another solid bullpen arm, it's not like we'd be expecting him to close.

Exactly!!! No harm in taking a shot on him. It would be cheap and if it doesnt work out have a nice retirement!

TDog
05-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Although that would be pretty funny, if two former Angels farmhands are leading the bullpen to another world series. ...

Not as funny as two former Yankees starters pitching for a non-Yankees American League team in the 2005 World Series. Also not as funny as two former Yankees starters pitching for the National League team that lost the 2005 World Series to a team with two former Yankees starters.

thomas35forever
05-25-2007, 04:19 PM
My only worry is that he would turn into another Jeff Nelson.
Which is why we won't sign him.

Foulke You
05-26-2007, 06:41 PM
I always liked Troy Percival. When you think of a prototype flame throwing closer, Percy in his prime certainly fit the bill. Percy didn't look like he had anything left in that arm his last two years in the bigs. His fastball was topping out in the high 80s (this from a guy who used to throw 99mph). If his velocity is back, I'd certainly sign him to a minor league deal and see what happens. He couldn't be any worse than Boone Logan.

Lip Man 1
05-26-2007, 06:42 PM
The Florida Sun Sentinal is reporting the Marlins are looking very hard at him and appear to have the most interest.

Lip

IndianWhiteSox
05-27-2007, 08:08 AM
The Florida Sun Sentinal is reporting the Marlins are looking very hard at him and appear to have the most interest.

Lip

Seems like your typical Marlin move, catch lightning in a bottle.

Dan1972
05-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Since no one else said it, I guess I'll have to

"Take THAT Percival !!! "