PDA

View Full Version : Which starter is throwing the best?

lostfan
05-23-2007, 11:49 AM
I haven't been on this site very long, I'm curious to see you guys' opinions here. Which regular Sox starter has been the best so far this year? My choice is Jon Garland. He's been lights out all year (except at the beginning) and should be on the All-Star team with the way he's playing. Going back to last year he's been the most consistent pitcher for a while now. Here's my take on the rest of the guys, in no particular order:

Mark Buehrle: Back to vintage Buehrle that we all know and love. The no-hitter is hard to ignore and makes a good case, but Garland has just been consistently better.

Jose Contreras: I'm not sure what to think of Contreras sometimes. Most of the time he is dominant and tears through hitters but he has some short but terrible periods mixed in there. Like that game against the Tigers where he let the first 3 hitters get on and promptly gave up a grand slam in the first inning. But once he gets that out of the way he's unhittable (I think the Sox won that game I'm talking about).

Javier Vasquez: Still shaky at times but he seems to be finally turning a corner and is pitching with more consistency than last year. He probably has the nastiest stuff on the staff to be quite honest. Very underrated guy.

John Danks: My favorite... how can you not like this guy? Soon we will have to stop calling him the "rookie #5 starter" because he's pitching so much better than one. He got his ERA into the 3's finally with his last start. That's actually pretty impressive when you consider the laughably pathetic defense the team seems to save for his starts, and even more impressive is the fact that it doesn't faze him. And the 10 runs of support were a nice departure from the norm, too. After Garland, you can actually make a good case that he's throwing the best of all the starters.

Chez
05-23-2007, 12:14 PM
I agree. Other than his first start against Cleveland, Garland has been great. The bullpen gave away two wins for him (Oakland and Detroit). Hopefully this thread won't jinx him tonight. If he gets bombed, look for a "Fire Garland" thread.

Murphy10
05-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I've gotta go with John Danks for being our most valuable. I mean comon for the first four games he only got four runs of run support. Thats just terrible for a rookie starting pitcher. But still he always made sure there was a chance for them to win the game. Also He is getting his ERA down past the 4.00. So I say he is our most valuable basically based on his age. To be a rookie and still keeping us in the game every time he takes the hill means a lot to the team. Jon Garland would be a close second for most valuable.

nsdjoe
05-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Verrrry impressed with all five starters (6 if you include Masset). Especially Danks, being a rookie.

If Javy hadn't given up 5 runs in his last start, they'd all have sub-4 ERAs! Hopefully after Javy's next start they will.

The Immigrant
05-23-2007, 12:29 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&baseballScope=CHA&teamPosCode=all&statType=2&timeSubFrame=2007&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

The numbers certainly are interesting. Garland, Buehrle and Danks are tied for fewest ER allowed at 20 apiece (although Jose has pitched an extra game). Vazquez has the worst ERA of our starters but has by far the most strikeouts. For someone who is supposedly HR-prone, Danks has given up only more longball than Buehrle.

IMHO, Garland and Danks have been our most impressive and most consistent starters to date.

oeo
05-23-2007, 12:40 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&baseballScope=CHA&teamPosCode=all&statType=2&timeSubFrame=2007&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1

The numbers certainly are interesting. Garland, Buehrle and Danks are tied for fewest ER allowed at 20 apiece (although Jose has pitched an extra game). Vazquez has the worst ERA of our starters but has by far the most strikeouts. For someone who is supposedly HR-prone, Danks has given up only more longball than Buehrle.

IMHO, Garland and Danks have been our most impressive and most consistent starters to date.

I don't know how to check this, but I think all 8 have been solo homeruns.

Back to the rest of the starters...the only guy I've had a problem with is Vazquez. His last start was back to being total frustration. Maybe Buehrle too, as he was stronger at the beginning than he is now (judging from his last few starts).

Frontman
05-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I agree. Other than his first start against Cleveland, Garland has been great. The bullpen gave away two wins for him (Oakland and Detroit). Hopefully this thread won't jinx him tonight. If he gets bombed, look for a "Fire Garland" thread.

He better not bomb tonight. I got tickets.

I just realized. Jon's doomed. :wink:

Honestly, all of them have been pretty good, save Javy returning to 2006 form his past two outings.

lostfan
05-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Haha. I won't jinx Garland, I've noted this in other message boards before coming to this site and it hasn't happened yet. :crossesfingers:

pythons007
05-23-2007, 01:39 PM
If it wasn't for our pitching staff we would be sniffing K.C.'s butt. Finally the offense is starting to come alive, but I believe everyone of our starts has been solid.

I love how Danks has pitched in all of his starts...he doesn't seem to be bothered by anything and just goes out and pitches. It seems like he has a good head on his shoulders.

Garland has been great, doing what he normally has been doing the last couple of years. He should have a couple more wins than he does right now though.

Buerhle is nothing short of awesome. By far my favorite pitcher/player on our team. His no-no was awesome!! WE better sign him again after this year.

Contreras seems to be all over the place, he was downright awful during opening day! He is starting to come around and pitch like he did in 05.

Javy has shown that he can get past the 5th inning, but has had a couple games where he reverts back to last year.

All in all I think we have a great staff.

sox1970
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
The beginning of the end of the rotation's success happened around June 1 last year. I'll reserve judgement until the All Star Break. With the next 49 games against teams that are currently under .500, they need to keep it going.

....but they have been good so far.

nsdjoe
05-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Danks is the Buehrle of the future. Gives me a happy feeling inside.

nsdjoe
05-23-2007, 02:51 PM
With the next 49 games against teams that are currently under .500,

Somehow I didn't realize this until now. AWESOME.

WhiteSox5187
05-23-2007, 03:21 PM
As Sox1970 pointed out, the rotation looked pretty good at this time last year too...All of them have pitched extremely well and all of them have pitched good enough to win us games, that last outting by Javy it is important to remember, the wind was blowing out. Just about every pitcher in the history of the game would have a hard time throwing at Wrigley with the wind blowing out. But there have only been one or two outtings where we've gotten blown out of the water. The most impressive to me is Buerhle who really has come out firing and looking like he did in '05. But I'm a huge Buerhle fan, so maybe I'm just biased.

lostfan
05-23-2007, 03:27 PM
The rotation did in fact look good in '06 until just before the All-Star break, I remember. Contreras had his winning streak going along with a little luck when the offense would bail him out or score just enough runs to get him a no decision instead of a loss, and Buehrle looked like the ace of a World Series staff. Then right after Ozzie picked him, Buehrle took a dive and never really recovered which made Ozzie look really stupid. Contreras started sucking badly and Garcia started falling off but recovered later in the year. Javy was about the same all year and couldn't get much of a grade because he was new and the #5 guy. The only pitcher that really carried his weight consistently was Garland, and I thought it was odd that Garland became the ace and Buehrle became unreliable and inconsistent.

SBSoxFan
05-23-2007, 03:50 PM
The rotation did in fact look good in '06 until just before the All-Star break, I remember. Contreras had his winning streak going along with a little luck when the offense would bail him out or score just enough runs to get him a no decision instead of a loss, and Buehrle looked like the ace of a World Series staff. Then right after Ozzie picked him, Buehrle took a dive and never really recovered which made Ozzie look really stupid. Contreras started sucking badly and Garcia started falling off but recovered later in the year. Javy was about the same all year and couldn't get much of a grade because he was new and the #5 guy. The only pitcher that really carried his weight consistently was Garland, and I thought it was odd that Garland became the ace and Buehrle became unreliable and inconsistent.

Garcia won a lot of games early, in fact I think he was 7 - 1, based on a tremendous amount of run support. None of that can be said of any of the starters this year. IIRC, both Garcia and Garland spent much of the year getting their ERA's down from 5+.

lostfan
05-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Garcia won a lot of games early, in fact I think he was 7 - 1, based on a tremendous amount of run support. None of that can be said of any of the starters this year. IIRC, both Garcia and Garland spent much of the year getting their ERA's down from 5+.
Yeah, which is why their numbers don't show how well they were pitching the second half of the season. Especially Garland, he didn't start off hot at all, but once he got over his shaky period he was money for most of the rest of the year. He pitched some absolute gems down the stretch.

Hitmen77
05-24-2007, 11:49 AM
I think Garland has been throwing the best.

Last year wasn't as simple as all the pitchers pitching well up to July and then tanking in the 2nd half. The only one who really did that was Buehrle.

Contreras really wasn't the same after he came back from the DL in May. I'm not sure if that was lasting, nagging effects of his injury throwing off his pitching, but the key for him is to stay healthy this year.

Vazquez was good for the first 6 weeks or so and then went through his "6th inning meltdown" phase and then actually bounced back beginning in August and pitched well through the end of the season.

Garland started off poorly at first. IIRC, some of the dark clouds here were crying "Judy" about this time last year. Then, he turned it around and pitched well for the rest of the season.

Of course, the other thing last year was that we had bullpen problems all season long. The bullpen, aside from its recent struggles, has been very good this year. If they can continue to perform well, that will really help our starters out.