PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment by Hawk

Fenway
05-22-2007, 09:45 AM
There is a new book out published by SABR about the 1967 Red Sox and it includes a full chapter on Hawk
http://www.amazon.com/1967-Impossible-Dream-Red-Sox/dp/1579401414/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9158229-6208169?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179844932&sr=8-1

Harrelson says that since his return to Chicago he broadcasts as Kenny Harrelson from Savannah, not as The Hawk and that they are two different people.

Also tells the story about when he was a rookie at Kansas City he rushed out of the ballpark without signing autographs. He was suddenly grabbed from behind and saw himself facing his boyhood idol Rocky Colavito who told him NEVER refuse to sign an autograph.

SoxyStu
05-22-2007, 09:49 AM
There is a new book out published by SABR about the 1967 Red Sox and it includes a full chapter on Hawk
http://www.amazon.com/1967-Impossible-Dream-Red-Sox/dp/1579401414/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9158229-6208169?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179844932&sr=8-1

Harrelson says that since his return to Chicago he broadcasts as Kenny Harrelson from Savannah, not as The Hawk and that they are two different people.

Also tells the story about when he was a rookie at Kansas City he rushed out of the ballpark without signing autographs. He was suddenly grabbed from behind and saw himself facing his boyhood idol Rocky Colovito who told him NEVER refuse to sign an autograph.

christ, he is so full of himself...2 personas :rolleyes:

ewokpelts
05-22-2007, 10:20 AM
kenny harrelson? never hear dof him. i always hear dj saying "so hawk....."

roadrunner
05-22-2007, 10:33 AM
which one was the lousy GM - hawk or ken harrelson?

itsnotrequired
05-22-2007, 10:38 AM

Third persona, Falcon Harrelson

downstairs
05-22-2007, 12:53 PM

Huh? That makes no sense to me. He's never refered to himself as "Kenny"?

WSox597
05-22-2007, 04:12 PM

Nicely played.

I sure hated to see LaRussa get run off like that. That was chicken ****.

TDog
05-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Nicely played.

If WSI was around at the time, there would have been threads demanding LaRussa's firing, if only because Ron Karkovice was catching and Carlton Fisk played with his back to the Green Monster when the White Six visited Fenway. The fact that Fisk in left was Kenny "Hawk" Harrelson's idea, carried out by his manager, if not sold to his manager, was irrelevant.

Larissa was just a low-cost rookie manager when he came to the Six. many believed the Six excelled in 1983 in spite of him. And today there are still Six fans who believe Larissa should have been fired.

I don't think Harrelson is a bad announcer, but I do find him irritating to listen to. And it's been years since I've heard his voice.

seventyseven
05-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Third persona, Falcon Harrelson

Fourth, Buddy Harrelson? :?:

ShoelessJoeS
05-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Third persona, Falcon Harrelson:rolling:

ewokpelts
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
If WSI was around at the time, there would have been threads demanding LaRussa's firing, if only because Ron Karkovice was catching and Carlton Fisk played with his back to the Green Monster when the White Six visited Fenway. The fact that Fisk in left was Kenny "Hawk" Harrelson's idea, carried out by his manager, if not sold to his manager, was irrelevant.

Larissa was just a low-cost rookie manager when he came to the Six. many believed the Six excelled in 1983 in spite of him. And today there are still Six fans who believe Larissa should have been fired.

I don't think Harrelson is a bad announcer, but I do find him irritating to listen to. And it's been years since I've heard his voice.Dont you mean SOX?

Oh, and only 2 managers have won more games than Tony.

MRM
05-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Nicely played.

I was all for LaRussa being fired and still agree with the decision to this day. Tony was a crybaby who petitioned management to get rid of Jimmy Piersol because he didn't like the things Jim had to say about him. When that didn't work, he brought some thugs with him to the freakin radio station to physically threaten Jimmy after one of his radio broadcasts.

Management finally relented and let Piersol go at LaRussas insistence. I was listening to Jimmys post game radio show the day the Sox let him go as their TV announcer, it was something to behold. Harry Carey called in, drunk as a skunk, bad mouthing Sox management for relenting to that "weasel" LaRussa. (Harry was a Cubs announcer by then) Jimmy, repeatedly calling him "coach", attempted to calm Harry down then just said "I'll call you later at the apartment, OK coach?". That broadcast makes the Guillen-North thing the other day seem tame.

Nothing against Hawk, but Harry and Jimmy were the best announcing team I've ever heard. They called it like it happened (ultimately costing both their job). Harry turned into a characature of himself when he went to the North side and did exactly what he refused to do on the South side. Jimmy did his "talking baseball" radio show for another year or two, but I don't know what happened to him after that.

soxwon
05-22-2007, 05:55 PM
christ, he is so full of himself...2 personas :rolleyes:

Der is A Nuttina wrong with Two Persona'sAAA!!!!

MRM
05-22-2007, 06:02 PM

That may be true, but MOST managers didn't have the steroid...er...bash brothers anchoring many of those teams. And since Pete Rose (I believe he was the last player-manager) I can't think of a single game a manager "won". LaRussas longevity has been due to unscrupulous players to a large extent. McGuire, Canseco, Giambi...and those are just the ones we know about. It was obviously acceptable in the culture of the A's (and Cardinals) clubhouse, which LaRussa either did or SHOULD have had control of.

People want to put an asterisk next to Bonds HR record...if so you better put one next to LaRussas "wins" total, as well.

chisox77
05-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Let's see, my dad says that Ken Harrelson was a very good ball player.

I say Hawk Harrelson is an entertaining announcer.

:cool:

MRM
05-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Let's see, my dad says that Ken Harrelson was a very good ball player.

I say Hawk Harrelson is an entertaining announcer.

:cool:

A very good ballplayer? Does your Dad also think Dave Kingman was a hall of famer? :D:

TDog
05-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Dont you mean SOX?

You're right about the Sox. I pressed the wrong button while I was running spell check, "Sox" not being a word according to the WSI spell check.

oldcomiskey
05-23-2007, 12:59 PM
He was a .239 lifetime hitter who lead the league in RBI in 1968. So, in his words, He wasnt a good hitter, but a dangerous one. Kinda like a pre-steriod Jose Valentin

ewokpelts
05-23-2007, 01:10 PM
That may be true, but MOST managers didn't have the steroid...er...bash brothers anchoring many of those teams. And since Pete Rose (I believe he was the last player-manager) I can't think of a single game a manager "won". LaRussas longevity has been due to unscrupulous players to a large extent. McGuire, Canseco, Giambi...and those are just the ones we know about. It was obviously acceptable in the culture of the A's (and Cardinals) clubhouse, which LaRussa either did or SHOULD have had control of.

People want to put an asterisk next to Bonds HR record...if so you better put one next to LaRussas "wins" total, as well.giambi played for art howe for most of his a's tenure.

HITMEN OF 77
05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Before the opening pitch DJ always says its time for partner "Ken The Hawk Harrelson"........

grv1974
05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Post of the week!

Thomes Forearm
05-23-2007, 01:29 PM
And today there are still Six fans who believe Larissa should have been fired.

only six? poor Larissa.

:tongue:

fuzzy_patters
05-23-2007, 01:36 PM
A very good ballplayer? Does your Dad also think Dave Kingman was a hall of famer? :D:

In Hawk's defense, offensive numbers were lower then than they are now. Offensive numbers were so low in 1968 that they lowered the pitcher's mound. Carl Yastrzemski led the league in hitting at .301. Hawk finished ninth at .275, and he finished third in the MVP voting. That's a hell of a lot better than Dave Kingman.

I think the real question is why Hawk's numbers dropped off so much in 1969. While offense around the league was improving due to the lowered mound, Hawk dropped from .275 to .221, and he was out of baseball two years later. Those are some strange numbers. Perhaps some old timers can fill us in on the truth about Hawk Harrelson.

SBSoxFan
05-23-2007, 01:49 PM
In Hawk's defense, offensive numbers were lower then than they are now. Offensive numbers were so low in 1968 that they lowered the pitcher's mound. Carl Yastrzemski led the league in hitting at .301. Hawk finished ninth at .275, and he finished third in the MVP voting. That's a hell of a lot better than Dave Kingman.

I think the real question is why Hawk's numbers dropped off so much in 1969. While offense around the league was improving due to the lowered mound, Hawk dropped from .275 to .221, and he was out of baseball two years later. Those are some strange numbers. Perhaps some old timers can fill us in on the truth about Hawk Harrelson.

I thought he broke his leg (in '70 maybe), and that pretty much ended his career.

fuzzy_patters
05-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I thought he broke his leg (in '70 maybe), and that pretty much ended his career.

I knew that he broke his leg at some point, but I didn't know when. Thank you for pointing that out.

I would still like to know what happened in 1969. He hit .255 as a 25 year old when the league average was only .242, and he hit .275 as a 26 year old when the league average was only .245. Then, he dropped to .221 while the league improved to .258, and he was only 27 years old. He should have been in the prime of his career. What happened?

SBSoxFan
05-23-2007, 02:15 PM
I knew that he broke his leg at some point, but I didn't know when. Thank you for pointing that out.

I would still like to know what happened in 1969. He hit .255 as a 25 year old when the league average was only .242, and he hit .275 as a 26 year old when the league average was only .245. Then, he dropped to .221 while the league improved to .258, and he was only 27 years old. He should have been in the prime of his career. What happened?

You're Welcome. His power numbers were pretty similar. Maybe he just hated playing for the Indians.

From wikipedia:

On April 19 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_19), 1969 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_in_baseball), Harrelson was traded to the Indians, a move that shocked him and led him to briefly retire. Following conversations with commissioner Bowie Kuhn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie_Kuhn) and a contract adjustment by Cleveland, Harrelson reported to the team, finishing the year with 30 home runs.

During spring training the following year, Harrelson suffered a broken leg while sliding into second base during a March 19 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_19) exhibition game against the Oakland Athletics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Athletics). The injury kept him on the sidelines for much of the season. When Indian rookie Chris Chambliss (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Chambliss) took control of the first base position in 1971 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_in_baseball), Harrelson decided to retire to pursue a professional golf career.