PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Where's MCH? Sox beat A's 5/21/07 Postgame Thread

delben91
05-21-2007, 11:20 PM
:winner

Enough said.

I expect no posts from INR as I was careful with my spelling.

ilsox7
05-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Good job, bats.

I have a feeling we won't be seeing AJ for a few days.

thomas35forever
05-21-2007, 11:21 PM
And our bats wake up. Hopefully, it stays that way.

hi im skot
05-21-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm begging for a laugher, but I'll take the wins any way we can get them.

Some awesome clutch hitting tonight...and the bullpen...um...er...uh, Sox win! :cool:

ND_Sox_Fan
05-21-2007, 11:23 PM
14 hits !!!!!

That's one we would have lost 5-3 before now. Keep it up guys!

Glad to have Thome back.

Let's hope AJ's hand is just fine. The last thing we need is Molina back in the back-up role and Mr. "Torn Labrum" Hall as the starter.

chisoxfanatic
It's great to finally see our bats getting in the swing of things the past couple of games...even Mackowiak! I really think the ump squeezed Jose quite a few times there, as well as our hitters. I'm surprised Dye didn't go after him any more than he did (and that wasn't very much either...he should not have been tossed). I guess it was good for Tererro to get more experience, and he looks like a mini-speedster out there.

Thank you, Sox. Now continue it tomorrow!

Navarro's Talent
Offense. It's a beautiful thing. :cool:

delben91

I hope he's all right. It would be terrible to get Thome back and then lose Uribe, Crede and AJ in a two day span.

JB98
05-21-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm very pleased with the offense. Some good clutch hitting, some good situational hitting. Contreras, pretty solid. Deserving of the win.

Bullpen, not happy at all. Walks are just ridiculous. Four walks from three relief pitchers tonight. Inexcusable when you're trying to protect a lead.

DrewSox56
McDougal sucks. Time to go.

The Immigrant
Big props on the thread title. :cheers:

Looks like the offense is starting to wake from its slumber. Solid contributions from Mack, Ozuna and Cintron, and great clutch hitting by The Grinder. Good effort by Jose.

Frater Perdurabo
05-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm so glad the bats are coming around. It's really encouaring to see them score without the home run. (There's nothing wrong with hitting homers, but it's better when they can score in multiple ways.)

Now, as for the bullpen... :rolleyes:

LongLiveFisk
05-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Offense. It's a beautiful thing. :cool:

:hawk
"I love offense."

infohawk
05-21-2007, 11:26 PM
That did not need to be so stressful!:(: Wow! Well, I guess there are two ways of looking at it. The bullpen still has the yips or the two runs the bullpen yielded resulted from a blown call at third. I'm not saying MacDougal looked great, but if that call was made he gets out of that inning without any runs crossing the plate. Still, the walks are just killing him (and us) right now. Bobby allowed the one walk. The single didn't bother me, other than the fact that it came after his walk. Bobby left them right there, but the fact that two were on with nobody out and that Bobby went deep into the count against these guys was absolutely nerve-racking!

ND_Sox_Fan
05-21-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm surprised Dye didn't go after him any more than he did (and that wasn't very much either...he should not have been tossed).

He got tossed for leaving his bat at the plate.
Big props on the thread title. :cheers:

Yeah, it's even spelled correctly.

Tragg
05-21-2007, 11:28 PM
I love beating the As. Nice to see their $10 mill dollar man hitting .189...great use of that "small market" budget.

hi im skot

You mean Logan, right?

oeo

You've got to be kidding me. MacDougal has always had problems with walking guys, he's just going through a little slump. You can go through slumps as a pitcher, believe it or not...Thornton did it earlier this season. And if Pablo could play some 3B, he would have gotten out of that inning and we wouldn't have had to take our heart medicine when Boone came in.

Ozzie should...
1)Move Boone to garbage time (or the better option...send him down).
2)Have Cintron play third, not Pablo. He's had enough **** ups in the last few days.

infohawk
05-21-2007, 11:29 PM
I think he's just going to fade in and out throughout the year. There will be times when he will be close to unhittable without granting walks. There will also be times like right now.

Dan Mega
05-21-2007, 11:29 PM

I knew it would only be on the first page before someone craps on it. Mac may just need some rest. I feel like I see him almost every damn game. Is Ozzie overusing him? Dunno. Rest him for a few days if possible and we'll see what happens. He has too good of a track record to just give up on him now.

Otherwise a pretty solid game all around. I'll take the W versus Chokeland.

infohawk
05-21-2007, 11:31 PM
And if Pablo could play some 3B, he would have gotten out of that inning and we wouldn't have had to take our heart medicine when Boone came in.
Needless to say, if Joe ends up on the DL, I want to see Fields brought up. I don't want Pablo plugged in at third for two weeks.

Tragg
05-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Ozzie should...
1)Move Boone to garbage time (or the better option...send him down).

Logan seems to get a lot of important appearances. Was the single he gave up hard hit tonight? I noticed he struck out the next guy.

oeo
05-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Needless to say, if Joe ends up on the DL, I want to see Fields brought up. I don't want Pablo plugged in at third for two weeks.

I think Cintron is the best option if Joe were to go on the DL, IMO. Juan should be playing, and Cintron should be moved over; I'd rather Pablo only play second base.

ilsox7
05-21-2007, 11:32 PM

Well, Pablo technically made the 3rd out there. His mistake was not selling it to the umpire.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2007, 11:33 PM
2)Have Cintron play third, not Pablo. He's had enough **** ups in the last few days.
True; but, you've gotta give him credit for his play tonight. He looked pretty good out there.

infohawk
05-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Logan seems to get a lot of important appearances. Was the single he gave up hard hit tonight? I noticed he struck out the next guy.
I was beside myself when he was left in to pitch to the final lefty. I think it was Johnson. I was fearful Ozzie was pushing his luck.

champagne030
05-21-2007, 11:34 PM

Ozzie and God only know why that's true.

oeo
Logan seems to get a lot of important appearances.

You're telling me.

Was the single he gave up hard hit tonight? I noticed he struck out the next guy.

Yes, and he did strike out the next guy. He's come up with some big strikeouts, but he also gives up huge hits.

ilsox7
I was beside myself when he was left in to pitch to the final lefty. I think it was Johnson. I was fearful Ozzie was pushing his luck.

Boone has actually been pretty good against lefties this year, so I wouldn't call it luck.

Frankfan4life
05-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Loved the outcome :D:, but not the bullpen :(:.

infohawk
05-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Well, Pablo technically made the 3rd out there. His mistake was not selling it to the umpire.
I agree. I don't have any problems with starting Pablo there from time to time. I think an extended stay at third would expose his lack of familiarity with the position, though. I will also say that, at normal speed, it was very difficult to tell if he secured the ball while on the bag. It definitely looked like he did in slow motion, but that may have been somewhat of a tough call for the umpire, even considering he was near the bag. I guess I didn't see it as a blatantly bad call at normal speed. He was on the bag, though. Still, I wasn't that impressed with the overall job the men in blue did tonight, to say the least.

DrewSox56
05-21-2007, 11:38 PM
You mean Logan, right?

No. But maybe they can share the same bus.

I think he's just going to fade in and out throughout the year. There will be times when he will be close to unhittable without granting walks. There will also be times like right now.

I hope you're right. He looks like complete **** right now.

Rob190
05-21-2007, 11:38 PM

To be fair, when Ozuna steps on 3rd, if he just stands their sox are out of that inning without any damage.

oeo
05-21-2007, 11:39 PM

He needs to slow down (he always looks like he's hyped up on caffeine or something), and just put his foot on the bag, instead of trying to throw out the speedy Shannon Stewart. I don't think the umpire could make that call from behind, all he had to do was stop and put his foot back on the bag.

infohawk
05-21-2007, 11:39 PM
You got that right.

ilsox7
05-21-2007, 11:40 PM
I agree. I don't have any problems with starting Pablo there from time to time. I think an extended stay at third would expose his lack of familiarity with the position, though. I will also say that, at normal speed, it was very difficult to tell if he secured the ball while on the bag. It definitely looked like he did in slow motion, but that may have been somewhat of a tough call for the umpire, even considering he was near the bag. I guess I didn't see it as a blatantly bad call at normal speed. He was on the bag, though. Still, I wasn't that impressed with the overall job the men in blue did tonight, to say the least.

I don't think anyone wants Pablo at 3rd for a long period of time. But here or there, or filling in for a short injury, he is OK. I agree it was a tough call at 3rd tonight, but those guys are paid to make those calls. Overall, lots of fines should be handed out to tonight's umpires in their Kangaroo Court (too bad they don't have one).

IlliniSox4Life
05-21-2007, 11:41 PM
Hitting....yes
Starting Pitching.....yes

In the last to games, we've had 2 of our 3 highest scoring games on offense this year. Hopefully that trend continues.

whitesoxfan
05-21-2007, 11:41 PM
That was a good win. Bullpen struggled a little bit, but the offense and Jose were good enough to get the W.

Thome didn't have a great game at the plate, but his presence alone makes the lineup better IMO. You drop AJ down in the order and you already have more depth in the lineup. Once we get Crede back, this lineup is going to look a lot better, as long as you ignore the averages (for now).

oeo
05-21-2007, 11:42 PM

No, he didn't. He was his normal self, throwing the ball all over the place. The A's looked like they didn't intend to swing until he had two strikes. He needs to get his release point back, and he'll be fine.

He's never going to be a control guy, but his stuff is nasty enough that when he can get strikes over, they'll swing at his balls. Just have to live through his slump like we did with Thornton and he'll turn it around.

infohawk
05-21-2007, 11:44 PM
He's never going to be a control guy, but his stuff is nasty enough that when he can get strikes over, they'll swing at his balls.
Man, that sounds like it would hurt...and bad!:o:

Soxfanspcu11
05-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Great win!

However, I don't understand all the bullpen hate!:?:

Prior to the Cubs series, the bullpen had been doing a fine job!

Infact, prior to the last week or so, they have been EXCELLENT!!!

And then, all of a sudden, with the flubs series, everyone starts freakin out!!!

I seriously do not get it!!!

What it seems like is that the Chicago media is going crazy about the bullpen and EVERYONE is now freaking out about it!!!

The bullpen has been solid all season long so far, like I said, except for the past week or so, and most certainly highlighted by the flubs series.

I really don't believe it to be an area of concern. So they are struggling a bit right now! So what??

If the Chicago media wants to get all down on a team's bullpen. Then why don't they get down on the flubs bullpen?? They have been a trainwreck all year long!!!

IMHO, there is no need to cause controversy and problems where they do not exist. Talk about making mountains out of molehills, geez.

I think that the bullpen is just fine, people are incredibly overreacting. However, I am not surprised by that, but I think it's pretty lame.:rolleyes:

oeo
05-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Man, that sounds like it would hurt...and bad!:o:

Someone has the wrong balls on the mind. :wink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I did just see this on Reifert's blog...
Juan Uribe is out of the lineup tonight as his mom's health has taken a turn for the worse. Ozzie and Joey were waiting to get a call from Juan to have a sense of how things were going. Joe Crede is feeling better, according to Guillen, but is getting tonight off as well.Prayers go out to Uribe and his family. And Joe will probably be back in a day or two.

champagne030
05-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Good job, bats.

I missed the 8th and 9th innings. What happened to AJ?

ilsox7
05-21-2007, 11:49 PM
I missed the 8th and 9th innings. What happened to AJ?

Foul tip off his hand.

FloridaSox
05-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Great to see the timely hitting...not all runs can score on HR's. Good start by Jose.

If I never see MacDougal again, I am fine with that.

I am sick of Pablo Ozuna.

It is time for bullpen moves..,good bye to MacDougal, Aardsma and Sisco.

JB98
05-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Great to see the timely hitting...not all runs can score on HR's. Good start by Jose.

You're overreacting.

oeo
05-21-2007, 11:53 PM

I'm glad you're not Kenny Williams. Thornton would be gone by now, too, with your logic. Who's going to replace MacDougal? Gavin Floyd? Think about things for second, because he's irreplaceable inside our organization, so we'd have to pay up the ass to find a replacement (all this for a guy that's just hit a rough patch).

TDog
05-21-2007, 11:53 PM
I heard the first inning on A's radio on my way to class tonight. I heard the Sox eighth and A's ninth on the radio on my way home. So I missed everything. It looks like I missed a great game with some scoring against a good pitcher and staff.

Tomorrow night, Colby Lewis will face Danks in a battle of Rangers' cast-offs. It isn't like Lewis is rookie stud like Gaudin, Wednesday's pitcher. Lewis beat the Sox in August 2003, a week before the Sox beat him. Last year he found his way into the Tigers' pen for a couple of unsuccessful outings, pitching against the Sox, striking out Konerko and getting AJ to fly out, but walking Uribe and giving up a single to Dye, a double to Mackowiak and a home run to Crede.

I hope Danks is on and the offense keeps up the good work.

ilsox7
05-21-2007, 11:54 PM
You're overreacting.

And we won tonight! Ah, the good old WSI show.

<insert smiley guy eating popcorn that I could not find>

Soxfanspcu11
05-21-2007, 11:58 PM
You're overreacting.

Damn straight!!!

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about in my post a few posts ago.

All of those players must GO!!!! Are you ****ing kidding me?!?!

Talk about short memories. Does this guy not remember when Aardsma was damn near LIGHTS OUT!?!?! Striking out batter after batter???

No, NO ONE needs to go as of yet.

The bullpen has been very solid all year, except for Sisco. But even he doesn't need to go just yet.

I am very confident with the bullpen, just a temporary glitch.

According to this poster's "logic", the whole entire Sox team should go!

I mean, they do have the worst offense in all of MLB don't they??

I guess that it is time to show Konerko, Thome, Dye, AJ, Iguchi, etc, etc, etc. the door correct?? Can't have this HORRIBLE offense!!!

Also, MB hasn't thrown another no-hitter since last month! Better ship his worthless ass off to St. Louis while we can still get something for him!!!:rolleyes:

Fuller_Schettman
05-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Depending on the outcome of tomorrow's Sox Hitfest, it is possible that we will not see another team above .500 until after the All-Star break!

Weird...

ilsox7
05-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Depending on the outcome of tomorrow's Sox Hitfest, it is possible that we will not see another team above .500 until after the All-Star break!

Weird...

Yep. This would be a really, really, really good time for the bats to heat up. Minnesota is probably the toughest team we'll see over the next 6 weeks and even their pitching pretty much sucks.

JB98
05-22-2007, 12:08 AM
And we won tonight! Ah, the good old WSI show.

<insert smiley guy eating popcorn that I could not find>

People have to understand that even if we wanted to cut three relievers, there aren't necessarily three guys waiting in the wings in Charlotte who will be better.

DickAllen72
05-22-2007, 12:09 AM
X Rays on AJ's hand negative. He's day to day according to Rongey.

ilsox7
05-22-2007, 12:10 AM
X Rays on AJ's hand negative. He's day to day according to Rongey.

Very, very good news. My guess is he gets at least tomorrow off, if not Wednesday, too.

oeo
05-22-2007, 12:12 AM
People have to understand that even if we wanted to cut three relievers, there aren't necessarily three guys waiting in the wings in Charlotte who will be better.

There's definitely not one better or with the track record of Mr. Mike MacDougal. Can't say I'd take anyone down there over Aardsma, either. Maybe they missed it last year, that good relievers are hard to find in the middle of the season (or in general)...we had to settle with David Riske. I'm sure he can be had if you really want him back, though.

HotelWhiteSox
05-22-2007, 12:19 AM
MacDougal needs to stop being used in back to back games, there's a trend there.

Boone is fine, as long as he's used the right way. It's weird when he's had some 2-3 inning games this year, while Thornton has had the 1 batter treatment.

Maybe send Sisco down and I think this bullpen is okay.

I'm just glad Thome is back, it's coincided well with JD getting hot, and it looks like it's starting to help PK. Erstad was nice today as well. This offense is definately getting better

JB98
05-22-2007, 12:20 AM
There's definitely not one better or with the track record of Mr. Mike MacDougal. Can't say I'd take anyone down there over Aardsma, either. Maybe they missed it last year, that good relievers are hard to find in the middle of the season (or in general)...we had to settle with David Riske. I'm sure he can be had if you really want him back, though.

Montero is probably available as well. Truthfully, I think we have a few too many young guys in the bullpen. Another seasoned vet would help. I'm frustrated with the number of walks I'm seeing, but I don't think a major overhaul is necessary. Just maybe one more piece to solidify it.

kevingrt
05-22-2007, 12:22 AM
Nice winner. Holds off those dark clouds for a few days. Jose pitched decent too.

And Pablo Ozuna, great game all around from him.

itsnotrequired
05-22-2007, 12:37 AM
100 home games in a row for yours truly. I like it when they win.

Sig update time...

ilsox7
05-22-2007, 12:39 AM
100 home games in a row for yours truly. I like it when they win.

Sig update time...

One day, you'll graduate to a waffle cone all for yourself. :D:

Soxfanspcu11
05-22-2007, 12:44 AM
MacDougal needs to stop being used in back to back games, there's a trend there.

Boone is fine, as long as he's used the right way. It's weird when he's had some 2-3 inning games this year, while Thornton has had the 1 batter treatment.

Maybe send Sisco down and I think this bullpen is okay.

I'm just glad Thome is back, it's coincided well with JD getting hot, and it looks like it's starting to help PK. Erstad was nice today as well. This offense is definately getting better

I agree with everything that you say here. Although, I would add a little bit to it.

First of all, I believe that Logan is much better than people give him credit for. I really think that he doesn't get enough work though. I firmly believe that if he got to throw some more innings, that he would be even better.

That sequence he had when the Sox were playing the Twins, where he struck on Morneau or Mauer (can't remember who, I always get them confused!:tongue: ) on 3 straight pitches was VERY IMPRESSIVE!

I think that Logan has some incredibly nasty stuff. But I think that Ozzie is reluctant to use him because he is so young. Plus, Ozzie probably has a bad taste in his mouth in regards to Logan because of the year he had in 2006.

But in regards to the bullpen overall, I am surprised that no one has mentioned the possibility of bringing up Haegar.

I mean, after all, during Spring Trainning, especially the beginning of Spring Trainning, it seemed like Charlie was a lock to either be the 5th starter or our middle relief guy.

I have not really kept up on his stats at Charlotte so far, does anyone have his numbers?

But if there is something wrong with Aardsma or MacDougal, meaning, if they are being overused. Perhaps it would be possible to either put one of them on the 15 day DL or send one of them down for a week or two and bring up Haegar.

I don't want to see MacDougal or Aardsma sent down for good or traded, I really think that they are great for the Sox. But right now, MacDougal for sure is struggling. However, he has such raw talent that his recent slump can not last, IMHO. So perhaps he just needs a little bit of rest.

I would love to see Haegar come up and see what he can do and what he can do to help the team.

I always thought that having Haegar come in for the 6th and 7th inning would be awesome! I mean sure, he can start. But having a knuckle-ball pitcher come in as middle relief would be great, IMHO.

I mean think about it, the Sox opponent would be just getting used to our starter, and then all of a sudden, Charlie comes in with his knuckleball and the opposing teams batters look completely lost! The past shows that it usually takes an opponent a few innings to get used to a knuckleball, unless the knuckleballer is completly off. So, a few middle to late innings pitched by Haegar would take us right to the 8th/9th inning!!! At least, that's my dream!

I really wish they would give that a try though, I think that it could be a GREAT situation!:bandance:

fram40
05-22-2007, 12:46 AM
The bullpen sucks ... and has all year. 9 (nine) blown saves on the season - only 41 games played so far; two in the first week, 2 over the weekend to the Flubs, and the other 5 spread out evenly. The bullpen ERA is high - over 5.00.

Just look at the stats - this bullpen is bad and has been bad.

Without major improvement in the bullpen, this is a .500 team - at best. If the bullpen becomes average, they can contend. If it becomes outstanding, they win the division.

DrewSox56
05-22-2007, 12:58 AM
The bullpen sucks ... and has all year. 9 (nine) blown saves on the season - only 41 games played so far; two in the first week, 2 over the weekend to the Flubs, and the other 5 spread out evenly. The bullpen ERA is high - over 5.00.

Without major improvement in the bullpen, this is a .500 team - at best. If the bullpen becomes average, they can contend. If it becomes outstanding, they win the division.

^^^

What he said. I didn't look it up, but the bullpen must've given up like 14+ runs in 6 innings of work over the last 4 games.

Horrendous. McDougal right in the damn middle - not cleaning up, then putting on more of a mess.

ilsox7
05-22-2007, 01:05 AM
The bullpen sucks ... and has all year.

It's apparent you did not look at the stats. The bullpen was quite good in April. They have struggled the last 2 weeks or so. But certainly not all year.

itsnotrequired
05-22-2007, 01:07 AM
It's apparent you did not look at the stats. The bullpen was quite good in April. They have struggled the last 2 weeks or so. But certainly not all year.

The season can only be viewed in one week windows at all times.

:happybday

DrewSox56
05-22-2007, 01:15 AM

Put up what you're looking at.

ilsox7
05-22-2007, 01:18 AM

:happybday

It's the WSI rule. Only today counts, unless today was good.

GlassSox
05-22-2007, 01:19 AM

I agree, I almost had a heart attack when he came out of the bull pen but all in all a good game to be at.

WhiteSox5187
05-22-2007, 01:20 AM
I think, I hope, the bats are starting to come alive! Hopefully AJ will be fine (he stayed in the game, didn't he? I thought he did but I was only half listening to the game at work on the radio) and we'll keep hitting. Our starting pitching doesn't need to change but boy I'd like to see the bullpen look better.

itsnotrequired
05-22-2007, 01:20 AM

April stats for relivers:

72 IP, 60 H, 28 ER, 32 BB, 68 K, 4 HR

ilsox7
05-22-2007, 01:21 AM

Go to any website that displays stats. In April, Thornton had a rough time of it and Jenks was a little slow out of the gate. The rest of the bullpen was pretty darn good. No one will dispute they have struggled as of late, but it's overreaction and hype that they have been bad all year.

ilsox7
05-22-2007, 01:23 AM

The one area they've consistently struggled with is walks. Which is very frustrating, but was expected with this group of pitchers.

cburns
05-22-2007, 02:13 AM
If I remember my stats correctly, I believe the bullpen has the least amount of innings of any club so far this year. So the numbers are going to look terrible just as they looked fantastic. I'm not going to get too caught up in the bullpen numbers as long as we keep winning games. Except for Sisco, I really don't like it when he pitches.

Grzegorz
05-22-2007, 05:47 AM

No, the trend is that he tends to walk people. That's the trend and hopefully he and Cooper straighten out his issues.

Pablo Ozuna is not a long term solution anywhere; he'll end up killing the Chicago White Sox defensively in the long run.

Question: Why not play Mackowiac at third base and Ozuna in left field?

Again, Ozuna is a spot starter at best. If Crede goes on the DL why not bring up Josh Fields?

BeviBall!
05-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Yea! Winning baseball! 14 hits with a lineup including Cintron, Pablo and half of Terrero is just fine by me.

Erstad is our offensive MVP so far this year.

MCHSoxFan
05-22-2007, 08:21 AM
The reason why I did NOT do the postgame thread is because I was actually at the game. However, I will do it the rest of this series. I will not do the all during the TB series. I will be there for the whole series.

Great win. OFFENSE!!!! :D: Bullpen is still a little scary. Bases loaded with Boone pitching, I was scared. :(:

BeviBall!
05-22-2007, 08:24 AM
The reason why I did NOT do the postgame thread is because I was actually at the game. However, I will do it the rest of this series.

I think I speak for everyone when I say: "We can't wiat!"

Jurr
05-22-2007, 08:27 AM
I think I speak for everyone when I say: "We can't wiat!"
:supernana: Post of the week material.

fram40
05-22-2007, 08:46 AM

IMHO - the most important stat - 6 blown saves in 23 games. Granted, they still won three of those games - but that is three tough losses and three that put pressure on an underachiveing offense.

So far in May - 3 more blown save, all of them tough losses (Two to the Flubs one to Minn) all in 18 games.

They are on a pace for 36 or 37 blown saves - and that ain't gonna get it done.

Jurr
05-22-2007, 09:21 AM
IMHO - the most important stat - 6 blown saves in 23 games. Granted, they still won three of those games - but that is three tough losses and three that put pressure on an underachiveing offense.

So far in May - 3 more blown save, all of them tough losses (Two to the Flubs one to Minn) all in 18 games.

They are on a pace for 36 or 37 blown saves - and that ain't gonna get it done.
Well, hopefully the offense takes off and finally takes a little pressure off of that bullpen. Most teams don't get stuck in a situation where EVERY DAMN GAME is a nail biter.

If our offense steps up, it takes pressure off of the starters and the bullpen, and I forsee better outings as a result.

Give it time.

Chicken Dinner
05-22-2007, 12:05 PM
The one area they've consistently struggled with is walks. Which is very frustrating, but was expected with this group of pitchers.

The amount of walks is very disturbing. It seems like most of them score also. They also need to stay ahead in the count because after you walk 1 or 2 batters then get behind in the count again, here comes the meatball and we all know what happens then.

DickAllen72
05-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Question: Why not play Mackowiac at third base and Ozuna in left field?

Because Ozuna plays 3B better than Mackowiak and Mack plays LF better than Pablo.
Again, Ozuna is a spot starter at best. If Crede goes on the DL why not bring up Josh Fields?
Because Josh Fields isn't ready yet.

sox1970
05-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Because Ozuna plays 3B better than Mackowiak and Mack plays LF better than Pablo.

I think Fields is ready. He just starts slow every year it seems like. I like his glove, and he seems to have a good short stroke at the plate. He also gets a lot of big hits in clutch situations I've noticed.

I think that is something Sweeney has to work on. He's a very good athlete, but he's got a long, loopy swing.

The Immigrant
05-22-2007, 03:09 PM

I'll also add that Ozuna appears to be heating up at the plate. He's looked a lot more comfortable the last few days, and my guess is that's because of regular playing time.

Let's see what he can do.

DickAllen72
05-22-2007, 04:08 PM
I'll also add that Ozuna appears to be heating up at the plate. He's looked a lot more comfortable the last few days, and my guess is that's because of regular playing time.

Let's see what he can do.
We already know what Pablo can do at the plate. This man has hit well at every level he has played. He brings speed and a spark to the team.

Defensively he's the type of guy who can make an outstanding play and then turn a routine play into an adventure. On balance, I'd say he's adequate in the field.

hawkjt
05-22-2007, 06:57 PM
I think Fields is ready. He just starts slow every year it seems like. I like his glove, and he seems to have a good short stroke at the plate. He also gets a lot of big hits in clutch situations I've noticed.

I think that is something Sweeney has to work on. He's a very good athlete, but he's got a long, loopy swing.

I do not agree that sweeney had a long loopy swing, like BA certainly did.. ryan made contact - he rarely struck out which is the case when you have the long loopy swing.. ryans problem was elevating the ball.. he almost always made contact but hit mainly ground balls.. not sure how you get him to hit more line drives.. practice , I guess.

FarWestChicago
05-22-2007, 07:06 PM

It's the WSI rule. Only today counts, unless today was good.You are two very insightful gentlemen. :thumbsup: