PDA

View Full Version : LF- Mackowiak vs Sweeney

HotelWhiteSox
05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Until Pods comes back, who do you want in left?

Please don't pick 'other' for Carl Crawford or Manny or something, In House only.

A. Cavatica
05-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Sweeney was sent down. :?:

EMachine10
05-21-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah, sweeney was sent down, but he should be out there instead of Mack. I know he had a big hit today, but he can't field and up until that hit, his bat hasn't been all that much better than Sweeney's. This is beside the point, but Pablo and Mack should have been switched the last 2 games...and yes, I know Pablo has looked good at 3b tonight. But overall, I'd rather see Mack at 3rd and Pablo in left, if those were the 2 players in the lineup. Dare I suggest recalling P.E. #1?:tongue:

*edit* - just saw the kid was hurt. my bad.

sox1970
05-21-2007, 09:17 PM
You don't want Mackowiak at 3rd.

oeo
05-21-2007, 11:08 PM

Please don't pick 'other' for Carl Crawford or Manny or something, In House only.

Maybe you missed it...but Sweeney isn't ready.

Rob190
05-21-2007, 11:37 PM
According to Sox homepage, the Yankee series exposed a flaw in his swing. He was sent down to work on hitting the inside pitch.

JB98
05-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Frankly, I'm stunned by the results of this poll. I like Sweeney. I think he has a bright future. But even a blind man can see he needs more time in the minors.

goon
05-21-2007, 11:47 PM

Carlos Lee.

rdwj
05-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Frankly, I'm stunned by the results of this poll. I like Sweeney. I think he has a bright future. But even a blind man can see he needs more time in the minors.

How blind to you have to be to not see that Mac is a BAD outfielder? I don't think this is so much a vote for Sweeney as much as it is a vote against Mackowiak.

soxfanatlanta
05-22-2007, 08:20 AM
This poll is moot; Sweeny is enjoying the summer heat of Charlotte.

IspepAloc
05-22-2007, 09:04 AM
I voted for other. I want Soriano in Left

soxfan13
05-22-2007, 09:13 AM
How blind to you have to be to not see that Mac is a BAD outfielder? I don't think this is so much a vote for Sweeney as much as it is a vote against Mackowiak.

No he is a horrible centerfielder and adequate left fielder. I would much rather not rush Sweeney. Let him work on his swing without the pressure of producing at the major league level.

mark2olson
05-22-2007, 09:28 AM
I voted for other. I want Soriano in Left

Defense wins ballgames, Soriano brings fans to the park.

WSox597
05-22-2007, 04:19 PM
You don't want Mackowiak at 3rd.

I thought he was an infielder by 'trade', if you will. I seem to remember reading somewhere he was a third baseman. To be honest, I had never heard of him before the Sox picked him up.

I was glad to hear about his Cub-busting while with the Pirates, and was looking forward to seeing more.

So, to make a long story short, what position does he play well? We can rule out center field, WAY out, and now he looks a wee bit shaky in left field. If he doesn't play third, he's running out of places to play.

What's that Hawk quote? "Where's he gonna play?"

What is Ozuna's natual position? It sure as hell isn't 3B. If Crede's back is a long term thing, we might be better off bringing up Fields to play third.

Tragg
05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
There is a third alternative...move Erstad to LF and call up _____ to play CF.

JB98
05-22-2007, 04:48 PM
There is a third alternative...move Erstad to LF and call up _____ to play CF.

Erstad is playing a great CF, and he's tied for third on the team in RBIs. I think we should leave him be.

JB98
05-22-2007, 04:50 PM
No he is a horrible centerfielder and adequate left fielder. I would much rather not rush Sweeney. Let him work on his swing without the pressure of producing at the major league level.

Absolutely correct. I don't know what people expect defensively from a left fielder. Mack is OK, but not great out there. That's how I would describe most LFs around the league. It's not a defensive position. And Mack is starting to swing the bat better. Four RBIs in the last two games.

WSox597
05-22-2007, 07:52 PM
What is Ozuna's natual position?

To answer my own question, it looks like he doesn't really have one. According to Baseball Reference he's played 56 games at 3B, and 54 games in LF, while playing 40 games at 2B.

Mackowiak has played 259 games in RF, and 173 each at 3B and <shudder> CF. He's also played 93 games in LF, and 59 games at 2B.

These two really get around. JOAT, both of them.

shoelessshaun27!
05-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Sweeney defiantly.

ilsox7
05-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Sweeney defiantly.

Why defiantly?

sox1970
05-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Sweeney defiantly.

:o:

champagne030
05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Absolutely correct. I don't know what people expect defensively from a left fielder. Mack is OK, but not great out there. That's how I would describe most LFs around the league. It's not a defensive position. And Mack is starting to swing the bat better. Four RBIs in the last two games.

Yes, there's a lot of weak defensive players playing LF. Almost all of them hit better than Mack. Mack is a defensive liability, anywhere, in the OF. His offense does not make up for this liability.

JB98
05-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, there's a lot of weak defensive players playing LF. Almost all of them hit better than Mack. Mack is a defensive liability, anywhere, in the OF. His offense does not make up for this liability.

Even if I agreed with you, and I don't, that wouldn't be a convincing argument for keeping Sweeney in the big leagues.

Mackowiak has contributed to the offense for three consecutive days. The guy hit .290 last year. He's a good hitter. People here hate him for no good reason.

champagne030
05-22-2007, 10:14 PM
Even if I agreed with you, and I don't, that wouldn't be a convincing argument for keeping Sweeney in the big leagues.

Mackowiak has contributed to the offense for three consecutive days. The guy hit .290 last year. He's a good hitter. People here hate him for no good reason.

It's nothing personal. I believe he's a great person and has been ****ed by Ozzie's use of him. He's a butcher in the field. Yes, I'd rather have Sweeney in LF or BA in CF (with GrindErstad in LF) on an everyday basis than Mack in LF. Mack hit an amazingly soft .290 last season. He should be playing the role of Gload last season....A late inning pinch hitter or a spot start every two weeks.

JB98
05-22-2007, 10:22 PM
It's nothing personal. I believe he's a great person and has been ****ed by Ozzie's use of him. He's a butcher in the field. Yes, I'd rather have Sweeney in LF or BA in CF (with GrindErstad in LF) on an everyday basis than Mack in LF. Mack hit an amazingly soft .290 last season. He should be playing the role of Gload last season....A late inning pinch hitter or a spot start every two weeks.

It would be ideal to have Mack in the Gload role, but unfortunately, Pods got hurt. Hence, Mack is pressed into LF duty. I'm confident he can handle it in the short-term. If we find out Pods is done, we need to go outside the organization for a LF. I don't think Mack is any worse defensively than Pods. Neither are any better than average, but I wouldn't describe either as a "butcher" either. Mack is a "butcher" in CF, but he can handle left reasonably.

Sweeney simply is not ready. Maybe next season, he'll be more of a factor. As I said earlier in the thread, I can't see any reason to take Erstad out of CF. Darin has been one of our most consistent players, both offensively and defensively. I just hope he stays healthy. If he goes down, BA will have to come up and produce for us to be successful. I simply don't have confidence in BA's offense at this time.

oeo
05-22-2007, 10:26 PM

If we were not bombarded by injury problems, and BA could hit last year, we would have Mackowiak being a great bench guy. Unfortunately, both of those things have happened and we've needed him to start. He's not supposed to our everyday starter and wouldn't be if Pods was healthy. So hopefully when (if) Pods comes back, or we pick someone up (or Anderson can come back up and hit), we can (finally) put him in the role he was brought here to play in.