PDA

View Full Version : Something Farmer and Singelton did on Saturday Made Me Very Upset!!!

Soxfanspcu11
05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
This is not really the biggest of deals, but it is something that has been bothering me since Saturday, and I really feel the need to get it off my chest.

I was on my way to my friend's house on Saturday during the game and listening to Farmer and Singelton.

In the 6th or 7th or 8th inning, I can not remember exactly, Iguchi hits a double down the left-field line. Now, at this time, the game was still very much up in the air. They were tied or either the Sox had a 6-5 lead.

Anyway, after the double, the Sox fans in the urinal start doing the traditional "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH" call out. I could not believe what I hear next from Farmer!

He goes, "Man! These Cub fans are obviously not happy with Iguchi's double, listen to all those Boo's!!! And then Chris chimes in, "Yeah, are they booing the pitcher or Soriano for not getting to the ball quick enough? Or are they booing Iguchi?" Farmer responds, "I have no idea. Seems kind of silly".

Now, I thought for a second, maybe they are just joking around and we clarify that, but NOPE!!! Not a word, they were DEAD SERIOUS!!!

I was like, ***?!?!?! The "GOOOOOOOOCH" thing has been going on since about mid 2005 or so. How in the hell could they not know that?? Did they have a brain cramp?? Both of them??? I dunno, like I said, it's not really that big of a deal, but it sort of is!!!

I mean, how could they not know?!?!?! I started screaming at the radio while I was at a redlight, the lady next to me looked at me like I was insane.

Did anyone else hear this??? Do Farmer or Singelton have an email addy or something where I can write them and ask them what the hell they were talking about??

Okay, rant over. Have a nice day!

UserNameBlank
05-21-2007, 08:26 PM
You should be glad they stopped talking about golf or food long enough to call a play.

rocky biddle
05-21-2007, 08:36 PM
I was watching the replay today and the Cubs announcers kept calling him Taguchi. He is So not Taguchi.

Soxfanspcu11
05-21-2007, 10:29 PM
You should be glad they stopped talking about golf or food long enough to call a play.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That's TOOOO FUNNY!!!!!

I remember listening to a game on the radio about 2 weeks or so ago and I had no idea what the score was. Farmer said that it was in the 5th inning and that the Sox had been struggling to get runners in all night. He mentioned 3 DIFFERENT TIMES that the Sox had left something like 7 or 8 runners on base. Yet throughout ALL OF THIS, he not ONCE mentioned the score!!!:angry:

I was like, "*** MAN!?!?!"

And not only did neither of them mention the score, they started talking about some PGA event a few days prior.

Farmer kept asking Singelton questions like, "So, did anything surprise you about the rounds yesterday?" "Were you surprised at how fast the greens were?", "Did you think that anyone was going to hit for par with the way the wind was blowing???", "Did you notice how Tom Billshotan laughed after he accidently used his wedge instead of his 3-iron??"

And ON AND ON AND ON AND ON like that!

I was getting so pissed man! I was like, "don't these guys realize that people are tunning into them to hear about the Sox???" "Do they not know that 99.9% of the people listening could give a rat's ass about Golf?!?!

I mean, they do this ALL THE TIME!!!

I don't mind if they casually mention Gold, no biggie. But they do it CONSTANTLY!!!

Someone really needs to tell them that if people are listening to them on the radio, that chances are, they do not have access to a TV at the moment and that they don't know what the score is. How hard is it to say, "5-3 Sox here in the 5th"? It takes about 1 second!!!!

UGH!!! Things like that make me really miss Rooney! When he was there, they always gave the score. You always knew the situation. Nothing against Singelton, but with him and Farmer, it's like Farmer knows he is the main man now and he can talk about whatever. It's getting to the point where I loathe listening to them!:angry:

DickAllen72
05-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Now that you mention it, whatever did become of that pulled pork sandwich?

UserNameBlank
05-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Now that you mention it, whatever did become of that pulled pork sandwich?
I think it's rotting somewhere near the suggestion box.

On another note, I bet when Farmio and Singleton go golfing they can't shut up about baseball.

UserNameBlank
05-21-2007, 11:31 PM
How hard is it to say, "5-3 Sox here in the 5th"? It takes about 1 second!!!!

UGH!!! Things like that make me really miss Rooney! When he was there, they always gave the score. You always knew the situation. Nothing against Singelton, but with him and Farmer, it's like Farmer knows he is the main man now and he can talk about whatever. It's getting to the point where I loathe listening to them!:angry:
The radio announcers were pretty bad at noting the score when Rooney was here, and they are at least ten times worse now. At least Rooney was able to concentrate on the game enough to avoid being sucked into Farmio's looney babble. Singleton OTOH jumps in head first at every opportunity.

UserNameBlank
05-21-2007, 11:34 PM
I was watching the replay today and the Cubs announcers kept calling him Taguchi. He is So not Taguchi.
Bill Melton screws up all the time too. Apparently he thinks our backup CF is Luis Theriot.

Whoops.

Soxfanspcu11
05-22-2007, 12:01 AM
The radio announcers were pretty bad at noting the score when Rooney was here, and they are at least ten times worse now. At least Rooney was able to concentrate on the game enough to avoid being sucked into Farmio's looney babble. Singleton OTOH jumps in head first at every opportunity.

Come to think of it, you are correct.

When I said that Rooney/Farmer were much better, I guess that I meant that they were much better than Farmer/Singelton. But that's not really saying much.

It is just very annoying to be driving somewhere and they don't mention the score.

I can't even count how many times I have been listening and you can tell that it is a very important situation in the game. You can hear the crowd going nuts, you can hear the nervousness and intensity in their voices and yet, no score update!!!

I'll be sitting there driving, SCREAMING at the radio, "JUST TELL ME THE ****ING SCORE!!!!"

Like I said, it takes about 1 second to say the score, just say it already!!!:angry:

WhiteSox5187
05-22-2007, 12:28 AM
I like Singleton but I detest Farmer...I think Rooney and Singleton would be pretty good. Damn you WSCR for letting Rooney go!

roadrunner
05-22-2007, 12:36 AM
On another note, I bet when Farmio and Singleton go golfing they can't shut up about baseball.

hahahahahahaha

HomeFish
05-22-2007, 01:59 AM
It really does sound like booing, though.

waldo_the_wolf
05-22-2007, 03:19 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! That's TOOOO FUNNY!!!!!

And not only did neither of them mention the score, they started talking about some PGA event a few days prior.

Farmer kept asking Singelton questions like, "So, did anything surprise you about the rounds yesterday?" "Were you surprised at how fast the greens were?", "Did you think that anyone was going to hit for par with the way the wind was blowing???", "Did you notice how Tom Billshotan laughed after he accidently used his wedge instead of his 3-iron??"

And ON AND ON AND ON AND ON like that!

I was getting so pissed man! I was like, "don't these guys realize that people are tunning into them to hear about the Sox???" "Do they not know that 99.9% of the people listening could give a rat's ass about Golf?!?!

I mean, they do this ALL THE TIME!!!

I know what you're saying. Another thing it seems like they do a lot is something, any little thing will remind Ed of something he saw in a movie, then he'll ask Chris "did you ever see so and so?" and then that eventually leads to one weird tangent after another.

waldo_the_wolf
05-22-2007, 03:21 AM

That's true, when that gooch chant first started, I wondered if Tad wondered why they were booing him since he doesn't know english. I'm certain that he's figured it out by now, or at least I hope for his sake.

RadioheadRocks
05-22-2007, 03:33 AM

That's nothing new, years ago I used to think they were booing when they did that Looooooooou chant for Lou Whittaker.

harwar
05-22-2007, 07:38 AM
or LUUUUUUUUUU Angotti,my favorite right-winger at the time.

Justagirl
05-22-2007, 09:01 AM
That's true, when that gooch chant first started, I wondered if Tad wondered why they were booing him since he doesn't know english. I'm certain that he's figured it out by now, or at least I hope for his sake.
Yes. He did an interview once and commented that- for the longest time- he couldnt figure out why he was the only one getting boo'ed. :D:

dakuda
05-22-2007, 10:12 AM
There have been times where I have listened for a good couple innings without knowing the score. Drives me nuts.

They should, at the very least, update before or after EVERY commercial break.

twentywontowin
05-22-2007, 10:53 AM
That's nothing new, years ago I used to think they were booing when they did that Looooooooou chant for Lou Whittaker.

Same thing with Luc Longley.

Justagirl
05-22-2007, 11:04 AM
..and Don Cooper.

05-22-2007, 11:23 AM

Or the fact that Farmer now lives LA.

nlentz88
05-22-2007, 12:33 PM
..and Don Cooper.

...and Muhsin Muhammad.

russ99
05-22-2007, 12:38 PM
That's not their worst call of the weekend. I was listening and there was dead silence for about 30 seconds when Lee hit the grand slam, then maybe 1-2 more minutes before someone said he hit a home run.

I thought it was a 3-run shot, until I found out later it was a slam.

I thought the first rule of radio sports broadcasting is to inform the listeners as to what's going on!

HotelWhiteSox
05-22-2007, 01:01 PM

Same here, I feel bad though, since opposing Japanese players or out of town Japanese fans probably don't know about it

ws05champs
05-22-2007, 01:05 PM
I used to bring my radio to the game and listen in case I needed more insight into what really happened on a close play. I stopped bringing my radio because listening to those two were actually a major distraction to what was happening in front of my eyes. I still find that hard to believe even though I personally experienced it. Here I am immersed in a physical experience and I cannot concentrate on it because the voice in my earphone which is supposed to be adding to the my understanding of what I am physically present for, is actually describing something not even remotely related to what is going on in front of my eyes! :angry: :?:

jabrch
05-22-2007, 02:43 PM
It seems to me there are a lot of miserable people out there who need to find something to complain about.

johnr1note
05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Come to think of it, you are correct.

When I said that Rooney/Farmer were much better, I guess that I meant that they were much better than Farmer/Singelton. But that's not really saying much.

It is just very annoying to be driving somewhere and they don't mention the score.

I can't even count how many times I have been listening and you can tell that it is a very important situation in the game. You can hear the crowd going nuts, you can hear the nervousness and intensity in their voices and yet, no score update!!!

I'll be sitting there driving, SCREAMING at the radio, "JUST TELL ME THE ****ING SCORE!!!!"

Like I said, it takes about 1 second to say the score, just say it already!!!:angry:

This has been, and will continue to be, my biggest problem with our current radio team. There are times when they even come back after a commercial break and don't tell you what the score is. Rooney was bad at this, yes -- and he also was a cliche' ridden Ted Knight sound alike -- but he at least called the game. We're lucky we ever know what's going on with Farmer and Singleton.

I have argued this on these boards before -- Farmer and Singleton are the worst announcers we have ever had. It is simple, basic professional courtesly for a radio announcer to keep the listeners informed of the progress of a game, and then to allow for those who tune in and tune out to stay informed when they do tune in. Farmer doesn't have a clue. I recall times when they don't even give the score when there is a pitching change or at the end of an inning sometimes. Its ridiculous. On the other hand, Harry Caray, in his prime, regular paused for 10 seconds every minute or so to give an update on the status of the game.

credefan24
05-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Was the crowd chanting "Boooo" or "Boo-urns?"

DickAllen72
05-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Was the crowd chanting "Boooo" or "Boo-urns?"
I was saying "Boo-urns."

jenn2080
05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
This is not really the biggest of deals, but it is something that has been bothering me since Saturday, and I really feel the need to get it off my chest.

I was on my way to my friend's house on Saturday during the game and listening to Farmer and Singelton.

In the 6th or 7th or 8th inning, I can not remember exactly, Iguchi hits a double down the left-field line. Now, at this time, the game was still very much up in the air. They were tied or either the Sox had a 6-5 lead.

Anyway, after the double, the Sox fans in the urinal start doing the traditional "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCH" call out. I could not believe what I hear next from Farmer!

He goes, "Man! These Cub fans are obviously not happy with Iguchi's double, listen to all those Boo's!!! And then Chris chimes in, "Yeah, are they booing the pitcher or Soriano for not getting to the ball quick enough? Or are they booing Iguchi?" Farmer responds, "I have no idea. Seems kind of silly".

Now, I thought for a second, maybe they are just joking around and we clarify that, but NOPE!!! Not a word, they were DEAD SERIOUS!!!

I was like, ***?!?!?! The "GOOOOOOOOCH" thing has been going on since about mid 2005 or so. How in the hell could they not know that?? Did they have a brain cramp?? Both of them??? I dunno, like I said, it's not really that big of a deal, but it sort of is!!!

I mean, how could they not know?!?!?! I started screaming at the radio while I was at a redlight, the lady next to me looked at me like I was insane.

Did anyone else hear this??? Do Farmer or Singelton have an email addy or something where I can write them and ask them what the hell they were talking about??

Okay, rant over. Have a nice day!

Yes I heard it also. I thought it was kind of odd.

ewokpelts
05-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Okay, rant over. Have a nice day!they share one brain. EVERYTHING out of thier mouths is idiotic sounding

waldo_the_wolf
05-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes. He did an interview once and commented that- for the longest time- he couldnt figure out why he was the only one getting boo'ed. :D:

poor guy, that is kinda funny, though

minutia
05-22-2007, 06:40 PM
I was more upset that on both Friday and Saturday, just before the train went off the tracks for the Sox that Farmer said something like "no game is over at Wrigley until the final out, the Cubs still have a chance" or something like that and sure enough no sooner was that uttered then the ****storm started.

Now I am not saying it was some kind of curse or anything, I don't believe in that but it is a very strange coincdence. Seriously, Friday I was sitting on the Kennedy by like Irving and I was so mad I thought I would climb out of my skin. Maybe I just needed someone to blame because I was having a tough time swallowing the bull pen blowing it both days but man.

Baseball Guru
05-23-2007, 04:09 PM
yeah, that really is not a new thing at all...For MANY years, any player with a name like Lou or Duke etc... Would get the "booo" sound cheer from their fans. I can't believe Farmer and Singleton didn't identify that correctly though, since it's not like it's something they are not familiar with. Regardless of the fact that the game was at Wrigley, its common knowledge that at least a third or more of the crowd are White Sox fans.

HotelWhiteSox
05-23-2007, 04:17 PM
What's Farmer like in a Denny's? I have this image of him screaming 'Slam! Slam!'

BainesHOF
05-24-2007, 01:26 AM
Come on, Farmer is the star of the show. The ballgame is just his vehicle to shine.

ewokpelts
05-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Something Farmer and Singelton did on Saturday Made Me Very Upset!!!

What else is new.

daveeym
05-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Come on, Farmer is the star of the show. The ballgame is just his vehicle to shine.
I mean, yesterday his fight with Chris about bringing cicadas to the booth was fricking AWESOME.

Phil Bradley
05-24-2007, 11:07 AM
I mean, yesterday his fight with Chris about bringing cicadas to the booth was fricking AWESOME.

Who cares about cicadas when listening to a ballgame? Lord knows I don't. That's why I can't stand listening on the radio. The Sox have by far the worst announcers in baseball, and that's pathetic.

fusillirob1983
05-25-2007, 09:17 PM
A couple weeks back a player on the other team was from Moorsville, North Carolina. This reminded Farmer of the Bubble Boy episode of Seinfeld. He spent the next two minutes explaining the connection.

DickAllen72
05-25-2007, 11:22 PM
After 2005 the Sox should have fired Hawk and Farmer, added both of their salaries to Rooney to get him to stay, then let Rooney and DJ team up to do a simulcast on Radio and TV.

Nellie_Fox
05-26-2007, 12:08 AM
After 2005 the Sox should have fired Hawk and Farmer, added both of their salaries to Rooney to get him to stay, then let Rooney and DJ team up to do a simulcast on Radio and TV.Farmer yes; Hawk, no.

But I really don't think Rooney wanted to stay. He wanted to go to his beloved Cardinals.

ewokpelts
05-26-2007, 12:11 AM
Farmer yes; Hawk, no.

But I really don't think Rooney wanted to stay. He wanted to go to his beloved Cardinals.unless he got a raise here.

MrRoboto83
05-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Am I the only one that thinks calling Iguchi ,Gooch is stupid?

HotelWhiteSox
05-26-2007, 12:17 AM
A couple weeks back a player on the other team was from Moorsville, North Carolina. This reminded Farmer of the Bubble Boy episode of Seinfeld. He spent the next two minutes explaining the connection.

:rolling:

Nellie_Fox
05-26-2007, 12:24 AM
unless he got a raise here.I don't buy it. He may have wanted to use the Sox to get the Cards to up the offer, but his first love is/was the Cardinals.

johnr1note
05-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't buy it. He may have wanted to use the Sox to get the Cards to up the offer, but his first love is/was the Cardinals.

I also think the move to WSCR meant a pay cut for all concerned -- I don't recall the numbers, but WSCR paid significantly less dough to obtain the rights to the Sox than WMVP did 10 years ago (or however long ago the contract was). There was no way Rooney (who was probably already handsomely paid) was getting a significant bump in salary. I am sure the Cards' offer was better, hands down, in every way, and Big John never had to even think about it. Farmer may have gotten a pay raise, but his contract renewal was then a change in role as well, so it made sense -- but I'll bet dollars to donuts Farmer isn't making anything near what Rooney was being paid as a Sox announcer. I believe the only reason we have Singleton, rather than an established announcing veteran, is so they wouldn't have to pay as much. The whole move to the Score was a cost cutting measure.