PDA

View Full Version : Cotts to Iowa?

thomas35forever
05-21-2007, 05:31 PM
I don't know if this is true, but I just got a text message from my friend saying Cotts just got sent down to Iowa. Can anyone confirm this?

sox1970
05-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I don't know if this is true, but I just got a text message from my friend saying Cotts just got sent down to Iowa. Can anyone confirm this?

Score is reporting it. Should be official tomorrow.

JB98
05-21-2007, 05:36 PM

What was KW thinking when he traded Cotts? He tore apart the core of the 2005 World Champions. :whiner:

chisoxfan79
05-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Before yesterday wasn't he doing good?

Scottiehaswheels
05-21-2007, 05:40 PM
This is all prolly related to that Dempster to the starting rotation hocus pocus.... I'll bet Cotts is going down to get stretched out...

oeo
05-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Before yesterday wasn't he doing good?

No, he started out well, but three appearances ago he gave up 2 runs to the Phillies, had a good outing following that, then gave up 3 runs to the Mets, and topped it all off with yesterday.

gosiu
05-21-2007, 05:47 PM
This is all prolly related to that Dempster to the starting rotation hocus pocus.... I'll bet Cotts is going down to get stretched out...
I heard it on the score too. They said Sean Marshall would be coming up and becoming the 5th starter.

Nonetheless, KW does it again!

Dick Allen
05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Unfortunately, Aardsma "outdid" him this weekend.

WizardsofOzzie
05-21-2007, 07:37 PM
And yet :gascan Howry and Ryan Dempster, the boy wonder of blown saves remain? :dunno:

eriqjaffe
05-21-2007, 10:59 PM
And yet :gascan Howry and Ryan Dempster, the boy wonder of blown saves remain? :dunno:I would assume that Eyre, Howry and Dempster are either out of option years or have accumulated enough service time to refuse assignment to the minors.

TDog
05-22-2007, 02:42 AM
And yet :gascan Howry and Ryan Dempster, the boy wonder of blown saves remain? :dunno:

Who is the boy wonder of blown saves?

Ryan Depmster is 9 for 10 in save opportunities. He has given up 13 hits and 8 walks in 20.1 innings. He has struck out 21

Joe Nathan is 8 for 9 in save opportunities. He has given up 21 hits and 5 walks in 18.1 innings. He has struck out 20. And Nathan's blown save came against the Devil Rays.

Aadsma and Thornton each have three blown saves, as does Howry and Eyre.

WizardsofOzzie
05-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Who is the boy wonder of blown saves?

Ryan Depmster is 9 for 10 in save opportunities. He has given up 13 hits and 8 walks in 20.1 innings. He has struck out 21

Joe Nathan is 8 for 9 in save opportunities. He has given up 21 hits and 5 walks in 18.1 innings. He has struck out 20. And Nathan's blown save came against the Devil Rays.

Aadsma and Thornton each have three blown saves, as does Howry and Eyre.
And you Honestly think he will keep that up? The last year or 2 has shown that Dempster can't close games. Didn't he blow a 6 run lead in the 9th last week? Given it wasn't a save, but the job is the same. You need 3 outs and you have a bigger lead than usual. He's just not a good pitcher

Iwritecode
05-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Didn't he blow a 6 run lead in the 9th last week?

Yep. That was one of his 2 losses. Neither counted as a blown save.

Joe Nathan has one loss and one blown save. They are seperate games but both came against TB.

Jenks got a blown save and took the loss in a game against Oakland.

TDog
05-22-2007, 10:36 AM
And you Honestly think he will keep that up? The last year or 2 has shown that Dempster can't close games. Didn't he blow a 6 run lead in the 9th last week? Given it wasn't a save, but the job is the same. You need 3 outs and you have a bigger lead than usual. He's just not a good pitcher

Technically he didn't even blow that lead, which wasn't 6 but sill wasn't a save opportunity because it was 4. It counted as a blown save for the Cubs' staff, though, because the last three runs -- charged to Dempster -- came in while Eyre was on the mound. He got he blown save.

Would I want Dempster as my team's closer? No. I think my team can and has done better. But in most of his outings, he has been unscathed. I don't think Todd Jones is a good closer, but he was tied with Jenks with 13 saves in 14 opportunities going into Monday's action. Even Joe Borowski has only blown 2 saves.

And some people here believe Jenks had a bad April because he had a blown save in Oakland.

When people were talking about Cotts being solid for the Cubs, I scoffed because I knew his stats wouldn't continue to make him look like a good pitcher. I knew that they were exaggerated because of the way he was used. But Dempster typically finishes games, and he is as successful as many closers on teams in contention.

dickallen15
05-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Howry and Eyre had been pretty good. I wonder how much Dusty using them 80+ times last year for no particular reason is effecting them now.

goon
05-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Howry and Eyre had been pretty good. I wonder how much Dusty using them 80+ times last year for no particular reason is effecting them now.

:?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3708
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3875

...doesn't look like their workloads in 2006 were all that different from what they did in 05.

soxfan13
05-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Yeah the ONE time Dusty used Howry 80+ for 76 innings or maybe its the ONE time the White Sox used him for 69 games for 78 innings (The most in his career). Dusty never used Eyre for 80+ games actually the Giants would be the ones you want to blame for him since he pitched 80+ games 2 years in row prior to the Cubs(86 and 83):rolleyes:

gosiu
05-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Looking at his stats in 05 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=dempsry01&year=2005), he was 33/35 in saves, and the team still won both games he blew. 1.85 ERA as a reliever too.

However, 06 certinally evened things out.

WizardsofOzzie
05-22-2007, 07:25 PM
Looking at his stats in 05 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=dempsry01&year=2005), he was 33/35 in saves, and the team still won both games he blew. 1.85 ERA as a reliever too.

However, 06 certinally evened things out.
One and done's seem to be the most prevalent with closers. Remember Shingo?

ilsox7
05-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Too bad for Neal. From all accounts, he is a great guy. Hopefully he is back in the big leagues somewhere soon.

eriqjaffe
05-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Too bad for Neal. From all accounts, he is a great guy. Hopefully he is back in the big leagues somewhere soon.I agree that Neal seems like a stand-up guy, and I certainly hope he's back up in the big leagues June 22-24. :wink:

mccoydp
05-23-2007, 09:09 AM
One and done's seem to be the most prevalent with closers. Remember Shingo?

Who? :redneck

JB98
05-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Too bad for Neal. From all accounts, he is a great guy. Hopefully he is back in the big leagues somewhere soon.

It's been a long way down for Neal - Quickly too. In October 2005, he's getting key outs in the eighth inning of Game 1 of the World Series for the White Sox. In May 2007, he's in ****ing Des Moines, pitching for the Iowa Cubs. That's pretty bad.

Hopefully, Neal gets it together and pitches well for someone other than the Cubs in the future.

rowand33
05-23-2007, 06:31 PM
From rotoworld:

Neal Cotts will work on becoming a starter while he is at Triple-A Iowa.

"It wasn't that we were disappointed [in Cotts]," manager Lou Piniella said. "It's just that we needed a roster spot for Marshall. We haven't been getting all that much production from our left-handed relievers." There is no timeline for how long the Cubs expect it will take Cotts to convert from reliever to starter.
Source: Chicago Tribune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070522cubsbits,1,4871807.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)