PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Morrissey's view, as of today...

Hitmen77
05-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Since we like to point out all the anti-Sox articles - especially those from the Cubune - I thought it is only fair to point out a positive Sox article by Rick Morrissey today. Rick brings up some good points.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070520morrissey,1,6384906.column?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

By the way, has Sam Zell put a stop to the Trib's "re-education" camp for their writers yet? If not, I think Mr. Morrissey might be taking some time off shortly to take this internal "training".:tongue:

tebman
05-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Credit where credit's due. What Morrissey writes is the truth, even if it does go against the grain of the Sox/bad, Cubs/good narrative.

I'm no Pollyanna -- the bullpen screwed up the last few games and the hitting has been terrible. But that's not because Guillen spouted off to Mike North or because Brandon McCarthy was traded, it's simply because the players aren't playing up to their talent. Wisely, Ken Williams agrees with me. :tongue:

The columnists and radio bobbleheads annoy us with their pronouncements, but every so often one of them gets it right.

palehozenychicty
05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
So true. I guess Mr. Morrissey has another gig lined up. :D:

Fuller_Schettman
05-21-2007, 04:13 PM
He actually reads and responds to his email, so let him know you approve. I think Morrissey is the best Chicago sportswriting has to offer right now. Then again, I seldom read any of it, so what do I know (I did read that article though...)

JB98
05-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Of course, the other day Morrissey claimed that Saturday's Cubbie win was "the best that baseball has to offer." Right. A game in May. It doesn't get any better than that.

Lip Man 1
05-21-2007, 06:12 PM
And last year he picked the Cubs to win the division.

Lip

JB98
05-21-2007, 06:33 PM
And last year he picked the Cubs to win the division.

Lip

He called D-Lee's grand slam the other day "ridiculous and improbable." Right.

Let's consider this: D-Lee is a strong, right-handed hitter who routinely hits 30 HRs a year. The bases were loaded. The count was 3-1. The wind was blowing out. A left-handed pitcher who started the season in triple-A was on the mound. I'm stunned D-Lee would go deep in a situation like that. Ridiculous. Improbable. No one saw that coming.

SOXPHILE
05-22-2007, 11:56 AM
"The Viper" is the best sportswriting has to offer right now ? Lets review a few things he's said just in the last couple of years:

-A Cubs WS victory parade would make the White Sox parade on 10/28/05 look like an Oak Lawn 4th of July parade

-Even though they say there were 1.75 million people at the parade, there really isn't that many Sox fans, because alot of those people were Cubs fans

-Picked the Cubs to win the division in 2006, just because he had a feeling. Couldn't explain it. Because the Sox won the Series the year before, maybe it was the Cubs turn now.

-Self righteously took Sox fans to task for accusing him of towing the company line in the Tribune's obvious bias and conflict of interest in comparison of their coverage of the Cubs, and how they cover the Sox. Went on to say how he was always one of the ones who questioned Sosa's phony numbers he was putting up while with the Cubs, and didn't go along with everyone else's hero worship during this time. Funny thing is, you can't find an article of his anywhere, raising the issue of steroid /HGH use by Mr. Sosa, or his phoney baloney persona, and selfish attitude, dated anytime between 1998 and 2004.

I will give him credit where credit is due though, in his articles echoing what we've always said: That Wrigley is a dump.

nlentz88
05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
I think Morrissey is the best Chicago sportswriting has to offer right now.

I'm going to have to go with Greg Couch. I appreciate his knack for writing columns covering issues other sportswriters wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. He also seems quite honest and genuine.

rocky biddle
05-22-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm going to have to go with Greg Couch. I appreciate his knack for writing columns covering issues other sportswriters wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. He also seems quite honest and genuine.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Hitmen77
05-22-2007, 09:51 PM

:hawk
Your what hurts?

The Immigrant
05-22-2007, 11:04 PM

:bundy

FarWestChicago
05-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm going to have to go with Greg Couch. I appreciate his knack for writing columns covering issues other sportswriters wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. He also seems quite honest and genuine.<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

Dan Mega
05-22-2007, 11:24 PM

:tealpolice::bong:

IndianWhiteSox
05-23-2007, 04:49 AM
Underplay the Cubs-Sox series all you want, but it was no coincidence that Williams chose Wrigley Field as the place to send a message. The Sox don't like being handled by the Cubs.

I don't think that any team would like to lose to the sCrUBS, let alone the SOX.

DeuceUnit
05-23-2007, 10:30 AM

Wow..Just Wow!

thedudeabides
05-23-2007, 11:43 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070522morrissey,1,7695628.column?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

I really liked his column today. It's in regards to the Sox recent clubhouse "controversy".

SOXPHILE
05-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Greg Couch is the guy who, in April of 2005, the day after the Sox lost a Sunday game to the Mariners after taking the first two, "dropping" them to 8-4, wrote an article saying not to get excited about how well they were playing so far; that it was all a sham, Ozzie and Kenny don't know what the hell they're doing; basically that the whole team is a house of cards that's going to collapse at any minute. Hey Greg, I must have missed it, but, how did that 2005 season pan out for the White Sox ?

hawkjt
05-23-2007, 01:30 PM
in my book, morrisey has been the best of a bad lot of columnists in this town for some time.. today was another sensible,non-flaming,look at the recent stupidity.. he is not a bomb-thrower like moron, has a clue, unlike downey(retired on the job?), is not a effette psuedo-intellectual like telander; ect...

common sense should occasionally rear its head in a column and RM nailed it today.. meanwhile, north gets a plum assignment (Imus fill-in)for his rampant stupidity-- just makes you shake your head sometimes..

jenn2080
05-23-2007, 01:40 PM
in my book, morrisey has been the best of a bad lot of columnists in this town for some time.. today was another sensible,non-flaming,look at the recent stupidity.. he is not a bomb-thrower like moron, has a clue, unlike downey(retired on the job?), is not a effette psuedo-intellectual like telander; ect...

common sense should occasionally rear its head in a column and RM nailed it today.. meanwhile, north gets a plum assignment (Imus fill-in)for his rampant stupidity-- just makes you shake your head sometimes..

Def a pretty good article by him today.

Link (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-070522morrissey,1,7695628.column?coll=chi-sportstop-hed)

jdm2662
05-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Greg Couch is the guy who, in April of 2005, the day after the Sox lost a Sunday game to the Mariners after taking the first two, "dropping" them to 8-4, wrote an article saying not to get excited about how well they were playing so far; that it was all a sham, Ozzie and Kenny don't know what the hell they're doing; basically that the whole team is a house of cards that's going to collapse at any minute. Hey Greg, I must have missed it, but, how did that 2005 season pan out for the White Sox ?

Don't forget that he whinned to the Moron when Aaron Rowand called him out on some of his writings. Rowand was being "mean" to him. Yeah Greg, sorry that someone calls you out when you are inaccurate. At least you went into the locker room, though. The Moron hides behind his laptop...

gobears1987
05-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Morrissey nailed it again yesterday in a column bashing the Flubs and their off-season spending strategy.

rocky biddle
05-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Don't forget that he whinned to the Moron when Aaron Rowand called him out on some of his writings. Rowand was being "mean" to him. Yeah Greg, sorry that someone calls you out when you are inaccurate. At least you went into the locker room, though. The Moron hides behind his laptop...

Also, don't forget that Couch was the guy behind the quote that started the whole Ozzie-Windsock thing last year. Off the record or on doesn't even matter, why did he ask the question "What do you think of ...?" Because they planned the whole thing, that's why. Obviously they couldn't have ever dreamed that Ozzie would respond the way he did, and they also couldn't forsee the backlash that the Windsock would get from real journalists, but they were trying to create a controversy surrounding the Windsock in order to gain publicity.

Couch and the Windsock are two scumbag peas in a pod. To borrow a word from Phil Rogers, they're despicable.