PDA

View Full Version : Owning One's Sox Fandom: a Dad's Tale

Procol Harum
05-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes, it was a sort of coming-of-age experience for my 2nd and 3rd sons, 9th and 7th-graders, respectively. On Saturday we sojourned to the Urinal for the Sox-Cubs game, their first-ever visits to Wrigley. Admittedly, they're not the biggest sports fanatics in terms of watching games on TV or actively following the game (although the 9th-grader is a member of his h.s. freshman baseball team). Still, they certainly always have identified as Sox fans and that has been the rooting interest they've always projected.

So, it was with some trepidation that as we went to the game I wondered if their impressionable young minds might be swayed by Wrigley and whatever it is that creates Cub fans. However, I am happy to report that the evil mojo had no impact, whatsoever. After the game they complained about everything from the narrow aisles, to the crummy bathrooms, the lousy hot dog they had, to the postgame singing of "Go, Cubs, Go." Afterwards, as we sat on the bus waiting to head back to the western 'burbs they were "treated" to the age-old Cub fan custom of seeing grown men relieve themselves against the side of a building in broad daylight as people trod right behind them on the sidewalk.

On Sunday afternoon as I had the Sox game on therefore it was particularly gratifying that when A.J. hit his grand slam (ironically at almost the exact same spot where D. Lee had hit his the day before) my cheering was echoed by two young voices with shouts of "Woo-Hoo!" and "In your face!"

No, Rodney King, we all can't just get along. :wink:

Madvora
05-21-2007, 11:03 AM
huh?

Scottiehaswheels
05-21-2007, 11:05 AM
proceed

Procol Harum
05-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Accidentally hit the "enter" key before I had finished my post. :redface:

In fact, the full title should be "Owning One's Sox Fandom: a Dad's Tale."

Nellie_Fox