PDA

View Full Version : Frank is no fan of interleague play

Fenway
05-21-2007, 10:18 AM
of course being a DH he sits but he offers this viewpoint

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Columnists/Elliott_Bob/2007/05/19/4192443.html

"Those games were crazy. Our fans were tougher on their players. Fans cared more about beating the other Chicago team rather than how we did on the year. After those games we'd have a week let down."
Thomas said careers were made by doing well against cross-town rivals, citing Magglio Ordonez as one who established his popularity against the Cubs.

sox1970
05-21-2007, 10:30 AM
of course being a DH he sits but he offers this viewpoint

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Columnists/Elliott_Bob/2007/05/19/4192443.html

So Frank said there was a week letdown? Maybe that's why the roster is different, and they have Ozzie as a manager now--he won't let that **** happen. No time for a letdown.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-21-2007, 10:33 AM
I am with him, but there is too much money in it for the league to remove those games from the schedule. When the Sox can have a whole separate ticket class called "Cubs" and charge more for those dates than any other, it is not moving off of the schedule any time soon.

As to the disparity in "fairness" of who plays who that was mentioned in the column, the same can be said for playing a weighted divisional schedule. The Sox have to play 19 against Cleveland, Minnesota and Detroit while Boston and NYY get the weighted number of games against Baltimore, Toronto and Tampa Bay.

ND_Sox_Fan
05-21-2007, 10:35 AM
So Frank said there was a week letdown? Maybe that's why the roster is different, and they have Ozzie as a manager now--he won't let that **** happen. No time for a letdown.

Frank played under Lemont, Bevington and Manuel - there were a lot of "let down weeks", not just after Cubs games.

MUsoxfan
05-21-2007, 10:37 AM
As to the disparity in "fairness" of who plays who that was mentioned in the column, the same can be said for playing a weighted divisional schedule. The Sox have to play 19 against Cleveland, Minnesota and Detroit while Boston and NYY get the weighted number of games against Baltimore, Toronto and Tampa Bay.

If you cite their TB, you have to cite our Royals.

mantis1212
05-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Frank played under Lemont, Bevington and Manuel - there were a lot of "let down weeks", not just after Cubs games.

I remember Manual even admitting as much - changing the rotation to beat the Cubs when we were playing AL teams right after.

sox1970
05-21-2007, 11:05 AM
I remember Manual even admitting as much - changing the rotation to beat the Cubs when we were playing AL teams right after.

That guy was a boob.

CHISOXFAN13
05-21-2007, 11:17 AM

I do, however, remember the finale at home in 2000 when Manuel used the back end of the pen while protecting a lead instead of going with Howry and Foulke, rather saving them for the week ahead.

We lost that game, but then went 7-0 on the historic run through Cleveland and NY.

That was basically the crowning moment of Manuel's career in my mind.

eriqjaffe
05-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Frank played under Lemont, Bevington and Manuel - there were a lot of "let down weeks", not just after Cubs games.Hell, there were a lot of "let down years" in that span.

Foulke You
05-21-2007, 12:06 PM
I do, however, remember the finale at home in 2000 when Manuel used the back end of the pen while protecting a lead instead of going with Howry and Foulke, rather saving them for the week ahead.

We lost that game, but then went 7-0 on the historic run through Cleveland and NY.

That was basically the crowning moment of Manuel's career in my mind.
Who could forget good ol' Jesus Pena and Kevin Beirne?:D: Those are the two "back end" bullpen guys you refer to back in '00. We still almost swept the Cubs that year too even with those guys.

CHISOXFAN13
05-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Who could forget good ol' Jesus Pena and Kevin Beirne?:D: Those are the two "back end" bullpen guys you refer to back in '00. We still almost swept the Cubs that year too even with those guys.

LOL. You nailed it. That was certainly a fun stretch of games even with that loss.

WizardsofOzzie
05-21-2007, 12:19 PM
If you cite their TB, you have to cite our Royals.

AL East winning % minus the Red Sox and Yankees- .438
AL Central winning % minus the White Sox- .523

If you add the Yankees into the equation, the AL East's winning % creeps up to .441 I think the point is the Red Sox have a much easier division to beat up on than the White Sox do

ondafarm
05-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I am with him, but there is too much money in it for the league to remove those games from the schedule. When the Sox can have a whole separate ticket class called "Cubs" and charge more for those dates than any other, it is not moving off of the schedule any time soon.

My idea still sounds the fairest to me. Play everybody in both leagues three games and then an extra set against all AL teams and then and extra set against all ALCD teams. But do this only once every three years.

Then have two years of balanced schedule with no interleague play. That would give 12 or 13 games against everybody in your league including a bonus game or two against intradivisional opponents.

Fenway
05-21-2007, 12:24 PM
AL East winning % minus the Red Sox and Yankees- .438
AL Central winning % minus the White Sox- .523

If you add the Yankees into the equation, the AL East's winning % creeps up to .441 I think the point is the Red Sox have a much easier division to beat up on than the White Sox do

Nobody thought Toronto would tank this year.

Red Sox don't even play Tampa Bay for the first time until July 3rd

HotelWhiteSox
05-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Actually I remember Manuel using his guns against the division rivals and saying '**** the cubs'.

Maybe it was more important back then, but I could still care less if it meant going to the playoffs. And I think Magglio did it all the time to get the fanfare, I don't even remember a specific moment he had against the Cubs

HotelWhiteSox
05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Nobody thought Toronto would tank this year.

I did :D: I had Texas tanking too. My next team is Philly, but they are slightly better than I expected

DumpJerry
05-21-2007, 12:35 PM
I did :D: I had Texas tanking too. My next team is Philly, but they are slightly better than I expected
Ok, Mr. Allpowerful, how about letting the world know that the Tigers and Indians will crash and burn?

Foulke You
05-21-2007, 01:05 PM
LOL. You nailed it. That was certainly a fun stretch of games even with that loss.
I was at that whole series which is why I remember it well for some reason. The first game of that series was the 14th inning double down the line from Ray Durham to win the game. The second game was the infamous Sean Lowe fake to 3rd throw to 1st pickoff of Mark Grace. (one of the few times I've seen that play work) Of course, the finale was the Jesus Pena/Kevin Beirne game where the Sox hit 5 HRs (all solo of course) to take a 5-0 lead and then ended up losing the game 6-5 on some broken bat infield hit by a backup Cubs infielder. They went on to sweep the Yankees and Indians on the road on their way to a 95 win season and a division title. 2000 was definitely a fun year because the team wasn't expected to go anywhere.

TomBradley72
05-21-2007, 01:38 PM
I love the Cubs/White Sox series...yes the whole thing goes a little overboard...but they are very memorable baseball games with lots of dramatic moments...I'd be open to them reducing it to a single 3 games series a year...vs. the current 6 games.

Only Frank could find a was to "grouse" about the fans being TOO into the games.

Foulke You
05-21-2007, 01:46 PM
then ended up losing the game 6-5 on some broken bat infield hit by a backup Cubs infielder.
Chad Meyers was the backup Cubs infielder that I couldn't remember. Just looked it up on baseball reference.com. He went on to suck as many Cub prospects before him and was out of baseball by 2003.

minastirith67
05-21-2007, 08:14 PM

After losing 2 of 3 to the Cubs, I'd hate to see what a 'letdown' entails this week...

:o:

waldo_the_wolf
05-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Chad Meyers was the backup Cubs infielder that I couldn't remember. Just looked it up on baseball reference.com. He went on to suck as many Cub prospects before him and was out of baseball by 2003.

I remember that, it was a groundball to the shortstop and it was JUST hit slowly enough so they couldn't turn two and the winning run scored. Then after the game, Meyers was practically beating his chest which was hilarious.

Also, as far as the article, I can understand just about everything said in it, except I think it's somewhat of a stretch(pun intended) to say that careers were made based on just the games against the Cubs.

ondafarm
05-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Ok, Mr. Allpowerful, how about letting the world know that the Tigers and Indians will crash and burn?

About Sept and late July -early August respectively.

PKalltheway
05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
The first game of that series was the 14th inning double down the line from Ray Durham to win the game.
One of the most exciting Sox games I have ever seen. I remember watching it on WGN, and I remember Sammy Sosa tying the game on a homer in the top of the 9th off of Keith Foulke. I was so irate when that happened, but all was well when Ray Durham won the game. What a game!:D: :cool:

ewokpelts
05-22-2007, 01:37 PM
So Frank said there was a week letdown? Maybe that's why the roster is different, and they have Ozzie as a manager now--he won't let that **** happen. No time for a letdown.now with ozzie, they just suck during the cubs series and give up 6 runs on friday, 11 runs on saturday, and another 6 on sunday. AT WRIGLEY.

SpartanSoxFan
05-22-2007, 11:18 PM
What? Frank isn't a fan of interleague play? Perhaps thats because half of the games his a$$ will be firmly parked on the bench...:rolleyes:

HomeFish
05-22-2007, 11:43 PM
The only Magglio moment I remember from the crosstown series was him losing a ball in the vines.

Now if you wanna talk about a guy who made a career out of beating the Cubs, you talk about Carlos Lee.

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2007, 11:50 PM
What? Frank isn't a fan of interleague play? Perhaps thats because half of the games his a$$ will be firmly parked on the bench...:rolleyes:While I'm pretty sure that ass will not trigger the language filters, you obviously thought it would and made an effort to evade them. Take two.

Just type the word you mean. If it's not allowed, the filter will take it out. If it's allowed, it won't. Don't try to evade the filters.