PDA

View Full Version : Marist Baseball Wins the Battle of Pulaski

Viva Medias B's
05-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Tonight at Hawkinson Ford Field in Crestwood, several hundred fans (huge for a regular season high school baseball game) were on hand to see the now No. 1 (Southtown)/now No. 1 (Sun-Times)/still No. 5 (Tribune) Marist Red Hawks (29-5, 16-2 ESCC) defeat the archrival Brother Rice Crusaders 10-3. Coach Joel Jonas' East Suburban Catholic Conference champion squad dominated the game from start to finish to put Rice away. The RedHawks were coming off their win this past Friday over then-No. 1 (all three papers) Mount Carmel.

Mitchell Merman started for the RedHawks and pitched three solid innings giving up a run in the third. Mario Nuņez pitched the next two innings. He was a little shaky with two walks and two HBP's, but Nuņez kept the damage minimal giving up only two runs behind the find defensive play of the RedHawks behind him. Andrew Kirkel and Tyler Newsome finished off Rice in the latter two innings respectively.

On offense, the RedHawks ran wild on the bases taking advantage of Rice's poor defense that netted four huge errors. I failed to record the game on a scorecard, so I lack key details who who did what offensively. The Daily Southtown should have the particulars tomorrow. It was a great night to be a Marist fan in this rivalry, and it's sort of payback for the football drubbing Marist took at the hands of the Crusaders at the beginning of the year.

The RedHawks are next in action this coming Wednesday at Alan B. Shepard High School in Palos Heights. In the IHSA Class AA Regional game, Marist will take on the winner of the T.F. North/Morgan Park game. Unfortunately, I will not be on hand for that game because I'll be in St. Louis that part of the week.

jshanahanjr
05-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Go Joel Jonas & the Redskins!

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Yesterday, when I was in St. Louis from where I just got back, the RedHawks smashed T.F. North 17-2 in a five inning affair.

CHISOXFAN13
05-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Yesterday, when I was in St. Louis from where I just got back, the RedHawks smashed T.F. North 17-2 in a five inning affair.

Their reward is a date with Stagg ace T.J. McFarland on Saturday. That's going to be one hell of a game. I think the RedHawks win on the strength of their ability to run and play small ball.

I'll say 4-2 Marist.

CHISOXFAN13
05-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Their reward is a date with Stagg ace T.J. McFarland on Saturday. That's going to be one hell of a game. I think the RedHawks win on the strength of their ability to run and play small ball.

I'll say 4-2 Marist.

I was wrong, and Marist is the first top seed eliminated.

McFarland goes all eight and cracks a two-run bomb in the top of the eighth to lead the Chargers to a 3-1 win.

ilsox7
05-26-2007, 04:19 PM
I was wrong, and Marist is the first top seed eliminated.

McFarland goes all eight and cracks a two-run bomb in the top of the eighth to lead the Chargers to a 3-1 win.

They gone!

Viva Medias B's
05-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Today's loss is a sad season ending of the season for the RedHawks of Marist. Not only were the RedHawks a No. 1 seed, there were ranked No. 1 in the Sun-Times and Daily Southtown. They also won the East Suburban Catholic Conference championship.

I was there for the first six innings but had to leave then because of work. The RedHawks seemed sluggish offensively all game. Even more disturbing, the RedHawks seemed to get down on themselves after the top of the sixth when Stagg tied the game at 1. Two errors did Marist in during that inning: one got the runner on base, the other allowed him to cross home plate. When the RedHawk bench looked listless, an assistant coach was overheard yelling at his players that they're acting like they're down 10-0 instead of being tied at 1.

The seniors already graduated from Marist High School this past May 17 meaning Jon Bober, Greg Gieselmenn, Andrew Kirkel, Dennis Marshall, Ryan Neumann, Tyler Newsome, Mario Nuņez, Bryan Pyznarski, James Reed, Mike Vucsko, and Josh Zenawick's respective eras at Marist are now over. Bart Giamatti wrote that baseball is a game designed to break your heart and that when you need baseball most, it stops. Those solemn words rung true for these 11 young men today.

Despite the disappointing outcome, the RedHawks had a fine season and achieved more than most people expected.

On the bright side, the Marist girls' softball team did win today over Shepard.

jshanahanjr
05-29-2007, 11:51 AM
This is similar to an early 80's Redskin team that lost in the first round after being the #1 team in the Sun-Times. Good pitching usually wins, so what can you say. The 1991 Redskins knocked off a couple of heavy weights in their playoff run, so it all evens out in the end unless you are the Yankees or Cubs.

Viva Medias B's
05-31-2007, 08:41 PM
The Marist girls' softball team won again, beating Oak Forest 3-1. I believe the No. 2-seed RedHawks will face the No. 1-seed Sandburg Eagles this Saturday.