PDA

View Full Version : Masset looked more like a "Cy Young" today...=)

GregO23
05-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Zambrano went 6.2 with 7 ER, 4 Walks, and only 5 Strikeouts...while the reliever comes in for a spot start and pitches pretty good...5.2 Innings and only 3 Hits...ha why did Zambrano say they will win the World Series and he will win Cy Young...:D:

UserNameBlank
05-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Nick really did look great out there today. Man, did Kenny swindle Texas or what? We could very well end up with 2 starters who are better than Brandon for the price of Brandon.

MRM
05-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Nick really did look great out there today. Man, did Kenny swindle Texas or what? We could very well end up with 2 starters who are better than Brandon for the price of Brandon.

And at the time of the trade folks in here were ready to hang Kenny from the cross....

Daver
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
And at the time of the trade folks in here were ready to hang Kenny from the cross....

Not everyone.

I still think Jacob Rasner may be better than Danks and Masset.

IndianWhiteSox
05-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Not everyone.

Not to mention, if Lujan and Rasner both fill out their potential as well, then you have the White Sox dynasty.

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Not everyone.

I keep forgetting the Sox got a third pitcher out of that deal.

Unblyleven Bread
05-20-2007, 09:05 PM
I keep forgetting the Sox got a third pitcher out of that deal.

That wasn't part of the deal!!

gobears1987
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
And at the time of the trade folks in here were ready to hang Kenny from the cross....I'm man enough here to admit I was wrong in my initial judgement of the trade.

I guess that's why we wait years before evaluating trades.

gobears1987
05-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Not to mention, if Lujan and Rasner both fill out their potential as well, then you have the White Sox dynasty.
We also have Broadway and Haegar! We are stacked for pitching!

I have the feeling that we will be like the Twinkies in that sense. We have so much pitching that I feel the need to quote Dieter from "Sprockets" here. "I'm as happy as a little girl."

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm man enough here to admit I was wrong in my initial judgement of the trade.

I guess that's why we wait years before evaluating trades.

Or in this case, five months, three and a half which weren't even in the regular season.

:redneck

dickallen15
05-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Masset was great today, although pitching in 45 degree weather with the wind howling in is a nice time to take the mound, unless your name is Aarsdma or Cotts or Zambrano or Sisco. I wouldn't be too giddy on the McCarthy trade yet. It seems that boy is on a bit of a roll. 3-0 2.31 ERA in May.

gobears1987
05-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Or in this case, five months, three and a half which weren't even in the regular season.

:redneckyeah I know it's hypocritical to call the trade a success at this point. We never know what will happen. I just like posting something positive when too many people on the board are being so dark clouded that I want to throw up.

gobears1987
05-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Masset was great today, although pitching in 45 degree weather with the wind howling in is a nice time to take the mound, unless your name is Aarsdma or Cotts or Zambrano or Sisco. I wouldn't be too giddy on the McCarthy trade yet. It seems that boy is on a bit of a roll. 3-0 2.31 ERA in May.
Even if Fingernails is successful, we still got two pitchers out of the deal.

Daver
05-20-2007, 09:15 PM
We also have Broadway and Haegar! We are stacked for pitching!

Haegar will probably get traded unless Donny Lucy makes strides towards being MLB ready, AJ can't catch a knuckleballer.

UserNameBlank
05-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Brandon should have a good couple of months. I was actually surprised that he didn't do well in April as I figured he'd get off to a great start.

Just wait until it really heats up down there in Texas. Brandon is going to get shelled. I still think he'll be a good pitcher, but IMO Texas is the last place he should be pitching. My guess is that in July and August Brandon has a combo of tired arm issues + location issues + straight fastball + hitters ballpark + dry heat and puts up an ERA that is higher than the price of box seats.

HotelWhiteSox
05-20-2007, 09:56 PM
I was definately mad about the McCarthy trade, and have no problem admitting I was 200% wrong here. This was also helped by having no clue about Danks or Masset, seeing Freddy just get traded (not against that, except was hoping to get more in return) and hearing Garland rumors, and I figured these guys would definately start in the minors and we would have some rotation issues with plugging holes. A pleasant surprise so far.

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I am darn proud of what Masset accomplished today. Out-dueling Zambrano like that! I have to admit I wasn't feeling too keen on this game beforehand; but, Masset is truly out there proving something!

FarWestChicago
05-20-2007, 10:37 PM
And at the time of the trade folks in here were ready to hang Kenny from the cross....I never saw anybody intelligent hating the trade. Just the usual suspects. :smile:

FarWestChicago
05-20-2007, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't be too giddy on the McCarthy trade yet.Nobody can deny you have a unique ability to find something negative about any situation. :thumbsup:

pearso66
05-21-2007, 12:00 AM
I told my g/f that I was hoping Masset would give the Sox 5 scoreless innings, and he promptly gave one up in the 1st. But I'll take 5 2/3 and 1 run from a spot start every day of the week. I just hope the Sox bullpen can turn it back on. They have gotten shelled the last couple of days.

DeadMoney
05-21-2007, 12:56 AM
I really liked the idea behind the trade at the time of the trade (after about 10 minutes, when the shock wore off); but, without knowing more about Danks and Masset it was impossible to tell what the Sox were really getting. Now, after almost 2 months, it looks as if the Sox hold an advantage on this one (with only about 3-5 years of evaluating to go).

Oh, how long ago it seems:
December 23, 2006
149 Days Ago (150 on Tuesday)
BREAKING NEWS: Rangers Acquire McCarthy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82610)

Not to pick on anyone, but here's some quotables:
- "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Awful."
- "I'd rather they trade Garland than McCarthy"
- "This better be BS ... [Kenny Williams] HAS to get more than that!!!!"
- "this is ridiculous ... we appear to be straight up giving up on 2007 ... Is kenny crazy?!"
- "Kenny Williams stole Christmas"
- "It'll be like old times again. The dreaded nonexistant fifth starter."
- "What the hell."
- "I'm gonna hurl."

And then there WERE a small amount of these:
- "Love the trade you get 2 ML ready pitchers for a guy who when he couldn't get his fastball over they would just sit on his change or curve."
- "I kinda like this trade. I personally always thought McCarthy was over-rated ... Danks is a stud and will be in the starting rotation if not this year then next ... Masset looks legit too"

...and on, and on it goes.

It gives some perspective to the 'then vs. now' comparison. And even then, some people were quick to say that we will have no idea how this will turn out until after 2007, or even later. Point is, it's funny to look back JUST 5 months ago and see how the state of the Sox has changed, and by how much. These 3 guys (McCarthy, Danks and Masset) could all be terrible for the rest of the year, or one could run into arm trouble, etc., etc., etc. - and still, it would be too early to look at this trade. Right now though, I really like what I see.

Back to Masset's start today though...
I am incredibly surprised at how well he pitched (even if the wind was blowing in) because I honestly expected the worst. I mean, with Zambrano vs Masset, and the Sox 0ffense taking cuts at the Cubs 'ace', I thought we were in big trouble today. Thankfully, Masset has eased some of my concerns about our 2 double-headers this summer (in the middle of long streaks of games).

WhiteSox5187
05-21-2007, 01:17 AM
I really liked the idea behind the trade at the time of the trade (after about 10 minutes, when the shock wore off); but, without knowing more about Danks and Masset it was impossible to tell what the Sox were really getting. Now, after almost 2 months, it looks as if the Sox hold an advantage on this one (with only about 3-5 years of evaluating to go).

Oh, how long ago it seems:
December 23, 2006
149 Days Ago (150 on Tuesday)
BREAKING NEWS: Rangers Acquire McCarthy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82610)

Not to pick on anyone, but here's some quotables:
- "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Awful."
- "I'd rather they trade Garland than McCarthy"
- "This better be BS ... [Kenny Williams] HAS to get more than that!!!!"
- "this is ridiculous ... we appear to be straight up giving up on 2007 ... Is kenny crazy?!"
- "Kenny Williams stole Christmas"
- "It'll be like old times again. The dreaded nonexistant fifth starter."
- "What the hell."
- "I'm gonna hurl."

And then there WERE a small amount of these:
- "Love the trade you get 2 ML ready pitchers for a guy who when he couldn't get his fastball over they would just sit on his change or curve."
- "I kinda like this trade. I personally always thought McCarthy was over-rated ... Danks is a stud and will be in the starting rotation if not this year then next ... Masset looks legit too"

...and on, and on it goes.

It gives some perspective to the 'then vs. now' comparison. And even then, some people were quick to say that we will have no idea how this will turn out until after 2007, or even later. Point is, it's funny to look back JUST 5 months ago and see how the state of the Sox has changed, and by how much. These 3 guys (McCarthy, Danks and Masset) could all be terrible for the rest of the year, or one could run into arm trouble, etc., etc., etc. - and still, it would be too early to look at this trade. Right now though, I really like what I see.

Back to Masset's start today though...
I am incredibly surprised at how well he pitched (even if the wind was blowing in) because I honestly expected the worst. I mean, with Zambrano vs Masset, and the Sox 0ffense taking cuts at the Cubs 'ace', I thought we were in big trouble today. Thankfully, Masset has eased some of my concerns about our 2 double-headers this summer (in the middle of long streaks of games).
I like my quote from that thread "It appears Kenny has developed a drug problem." I'll admit that I couldn't have been more wrong about the McCarthy trade. But I think the fact that I was upset about the Freddie trade (I STILL think we coulda gotten more out of that) and the fact that Garland was almost traded (depending on who you read), I think the McCarthy thing pushed me over the edge. But I was dead wrong. Great trade by Kenny.

Grzegorz
05-21-2007, 04:45 AM
Masset has shown poise in situations where he was to start on short notice. I like this kid, I like the Texas deal, and I think kids like Danks and Masset are going to benefit this team for a long time.

ondafarm
05-21-2007, 08:17 AM

Not me. I thougt it was a steal.