PDA

View Full Version : Ken Williams embarrassed by Sox play

Frontman
05-20-2007, 04:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-whitesox-williams&prov=ap&type=lgns

Wow. With everyone talking about Ozzie's blowup, leave it to KW to light a fire under the team.

ondafarm
05-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Easiest shakeup is to fire the manager and probably the hitting coach to boot.

JermaineDye05
05-20-2007, 04:18 PM

Yes I'm sure that will fix the team.

05-20-2007, 04:20 PM

<Insert incredibly overused chunks tag>

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 04:25 PM

When was the last time firing a manager less than two months into the season brought about a positive change to a team?

dllrbll7
05-20-2007, 04:26 PM
When was the last time firing a manager less than two months into the season brought about a positive change to a team?

Didn't the Astros manager in 05 get fired after a horrible first couple months??

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Didn't the Astros manager in 05 get fired after a horrible first couple months??

Nope, Garner all season. Williams got fired halfway through 2004 and Garner replaced him. The team was 44-44 at the time and finished 92-70

FedEx227
05-20-2007, 04:30 PM

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGI185%7EJack-McKeon-2004-Studio-Plus-Photofile-Posters.jpg
"You called?"

Came in after 38 games, promptly went 75-49 and won a World Series.

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 04:32 PM
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGI185%7EJack-McKeon-2004-Studio-Plus-Photofile-Posters.jpg
"You called?"

Touche.:cool:

Is he available? I hear lots of "Fire Ozzie" talk but no real options to replace him.

JermaineDye05
05-20-2007, 04:32 PM
doesn't everyone love the famdom's confidence in our team?

dllrbll7
05-20-2007, 04:33 PM
"You called?"

I think thats what I was thinking...

FarWestChicago
05-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Came in after 38 games, promptly went 75-49 and won a World Series.That's impressive, dude. You have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt KW can guarantee the Sox will win the Series this year by firing Ozzie.

FedEx227
05-20-2007, 04:34 PM
That's impressive, dude. You have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt KW can guarantee the Sox will win the Series this year by firing Ozzie.

That's funny because all I did was answer INR's question and made no reference whatsoever to firing Ozzie. But I do enjoy those words you put in my mouth.

FarWestChicago
05-20-2007, 04:36 PM
That's funny because all I did was answer INR's question and made no reference whatsoever to firing Ozzie. But I do enjoy those words you put in my mouth.And now you have faked everybody out by convincing us you weren't aware of the context of the thread. You are on a serious roll.

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 04:38 PM
That's impressive, dude. You have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt KW can guarantee the Sox will win the Series this year by firing Ozzie.

Not to slam FedEx227 but that where I was going. For every success story like McKeon, there are plenty of mid-season manager changes that flop.

FedEx227
05-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I don't think it would be a good move at all. We don't have a team that will react well with such a huge shakeup. I think for a young team like the Marlins in 2003, they could rally around a big shakeup, etc. We have a bunch of guys who have been around before and just need to find their groove.

Frontman
05-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Wow. We are all ready to turn on each other. I just thought it great that the Sox came to play after KW dropped the "E" (embarrassed) Bomb on 'em. I didn't mean to start a flame war, gang. Remember, we all root for the same team here.

Front

JB98
05-20-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm glad somebody else is embarrassed by our play this year. We should be much better than 20-19.

TDog
05-20-2007, 04:57 PM
The question raised by some in this thread reminded me of a lost season from Sox history.

At the end of June in 1978, the White Sox fired a manager who was sleeping (literally, I kid you not) in the dugout during games. The Yankees fired Billy Martin, who may never have slept, at the end of July. The White Sox were underachieving and were six games below .500. Billy Martin wasn't available when the Sox hired Larry Doby, who won three more games than Lemon, but lost 10 more in what turned out to be a lost season.

Bob Lemon went on to take the Yankees to the World Series. I don't know if he stayed awake for all of those October night games. Larry Doby never managed again.

Very rarely does changing managers help. Usually it doesn't.

jabrch
05-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Wow. We are all ready to turn on each other. I just thought it great that the Sox came to play after KW dropped the "E" (embarrassed) Bomb on 'em. I didn't mean to start a flame war, gang. Remember, we all root for the same team here.

Front

I don't think anyone is turning on anyone. I think some of the mods rightfully are tired of the same old people who waste bandwidth criticizing everything after every bad outing. And frankly, I don't blame them. This place was much more fun before everyone became a genius.

FedEx227
05-20-2007, 05:10 PM

Front

Yeah I'm not sure why my comment was so targeted. I've never once said we should fire Ozzie that would be ridiculous at this point in the season with this type of team. And I'm just as sick of people thinking that the team would magically win 120 games if we fire a manager that helped us win a World Series no less than 2 years ago.

chisoxmike
05-20-2007, 05:10 PM

Give it up.

TornLabrum
05-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I don't think anyone is turning on anyone. I think some of the mods rightfully are tired of the same old people who waste bandwidth criticizing everything after every bad outing. And frankly, I don't blame them. This place was much more fun before everyone became a genius.

And when exactly was that? I can never remember when there weren't people ready to fire the manager, except for a few days in late October of 2005.

GlassSox
05-20-2007, 05:51 PM
I wonder if the players are as embarassed as Ken Williams says he is.

Fire the management and keep paying the high dollar players who are not earning their keep, sounds like re-engineering to me! :angry:

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 05:54 PM
And when exactly was that? I can never remember when there weren't people ready to fire the manager, except for a few days in late October of 2005.

Eh, I'm willing to bet that some people wanted him fired around that time as well.:D:

Lip Man 1
05-20-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm glad Kenny spoke out...it's about time.

Lip

PaulDrake
05-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I wonder if he'll get called an idiot or a dark cloud.

Daver
05-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Eh, I'm willing to bet that some people wanted him fired around that time as well.:D:

I wanted him fired the day they hired him.

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I wanted him fired the day they hired him.

Daver = SOXandILLINI

:redneck

The Immigrant
05-20-2007, 05:59 PM
I wonder if he'll get called an idiot or a dark cloud.

How about a pantspisser? :tongue:

oeo
05-20-2007, 06:15 PM

He's a funny one, that he is.

Brian26
05-20-2007, 06:27 PM

I agree!

:fireward

Madscout
05-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I'll tell you what will shake this team up, Thome being back in the line-up. It wasn't Uribe's AB that was the turning point in today's game. It was Thome's. First at bat and he draws a walk, and then we got em'. If we have Thome, our boys in the bullpen don't have to hit the mound thinking that if the blow it that is the game (unless your Jenks, but he has been money).

Frontman
05-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I think firing the coaching staff wouldn't change a thing. This team needs the shakeup, and maybe a bit of sabre rattling by KW got a fire lit under them.

We might of lost this 3 game series, but we roared back strong.

Chrisaway
05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Why dont we just trade Ozzie for Joe Torre?:redneck

delben91
05-20-2007, 09:46 PM
We might of lost this 3 game series, but we roared back strong.

It's only roaring back if they keep on a roll. If they go out and lose 2 of 3 to Oakland...

Frontman
05-20-2007, 10:14 PM
It's only roaring back if they keep on a roll. If they go out and lose 2 of 3 to Oakland...

They won't do it. They can't do it. If they do, its over.

"Over? OVER? Nothing is over unless WE decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" AJ Blutarzki

"Germans?" Uribe

"Forget it, he's on a roll." Crede

A. Cavatica
05-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Why dont we just trade Ozzie for Joe Torre?:redneck

I know it was teal, but if Torre should become available, he would be an instant upgrade over the incumbent.

FarWestChicago
05-20-2007, 10:56 PM
I know it was teal, but if Torre should become available, he would be an instant upgrade over the incumbent.Please tell us how the manager with twice the payroll of any team in the majors who hasn't won **** in half a decade is such an upgrade. I know you are brilliant, so please share.

jabrch
05-20-2007, 11:00 PM

Wanting to fire the manager is a longtime baseball pasttime. But believing, with conviction, that you know more than the manager, all the coaches, and the front office is a new one.

Everyone wanted JM fired - for good reason. Bevington was a fool. Everyone could have done a better job than Gallas. But I don't recall too many people saying they'd be better GMs than Schu. I don't recall people saying they'd be better managers than Tony LaRussa. Today people have more information at their fingertips than ever before. That doesn't make them smarter - only more informed. THere's a difference.

jabrch
05-20-2007, 11:03 PM

Firing a manager who all the players love to play for is not likely to make any of the players play better - unless you have reason to believe that the players aren't putting out their best effort.

palehozenychicty
05-21-2007, 10:27 AM
I know it was teal, but if Torre should become available, he would be an instant upgrade over the incumbent.

Keep the teal. In terms of strategy, Ozzie is light years ahead of Torre. Torre's strength is his reserved nature in the media hotbed of NY, and manages egos well. He rarely extends his starters, thus taxing his pen by the postseason, and takes little risks on the field with stealing, bunting, etc. I've seen enough yankee games over the last five years to feel confident with this statement. Since 01, Torre has had the energy of a tree.

russ99
05-21-2007, 10:33 AM

Gee, I didn't know Moronatti was posting on this board...

Hmm, teal or no-teal... He's a "church elder" so teal.

kitekrazy
05-21-2007, 10:41 AM
We are beginning to sound like Yankee fans. Fire everyone since the team is not 38-1.

Paulwny
05-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Keep the teal. In terms of strategy, Ozzie is light years ahead of Torre. Torre's strength is his reserved nature in the media hotbed of NY, and manages egos well. He rarely extends his starters, thus taxing his pen by the postseason, and takes little risks on the field with stealing, bunting, etc. I've seen enough yankee games over the last five years to feel confident with this statement. Since 01, Torre has had the energy of a tree.

Completely agree, Torre can handle giant egos, other than that he's overated. Anyone can fill out a line-up card when you have $10 million players at every position and an owner who'll spend the $$$ to tweak the team when other teams have their fire sales. He must be considered a genius by some because of his ability to point to the bull pen to bring in Rivera.

Law11
05-21-2007, 11:49 AM

Front

I agree we all all a bit chirpy right now.. Remember folks we're all fighting for the same cause. Nothing wrong with disagreeing but remember why we all dig this board.. SOX BABY!!

soxfan13
05-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Completely agree, Torre can handle giant egos, other than that he's overated. Anyone can fill out a line-up card when you have $10 million players at every position and an owner who'll spend the $$$ to tweak the team when other teams have their fire sales. He must be considered a genius by some because of his ability to point to the bull pen to bring in Rivera.

Exactly just check his record before he got to the Yankees. 894-1003 a .471 winning percentage bg (before george) and 1098-721 for a .604 winning percentage wg ( with george)