Uh oh.

oeo
05-20-2007, 05:01 PM
DJ says Crede taken out of today's game due to "tightness in his lower back"

Uh oh.

It was cold; probably precautionary.

Jurr
05-20-2007, 05:04 PM
We talked about this in the gameday thread. Crede still has a bulging disc in his back. The only treatment there is for it is surgery or stretching/exercise. Even with the stretching, the disc is still injured.

So, when there are radical atmospheric changes, any joint space (including the discs) can really start to tighten up or ache, especially previously injured ones. You'll sometimes hear people say that they can tell when it's about to rain because their shoulders or knees hurt. It's the same thing.

Hopefully a little treatment will have him right.

champagne030
05-20-2007, 05:06 PM
It was cold; probably precautionary.

It was cold through a lot of April and he played. It became enough of an issue to be taken out of the game. Hopefully the pain and injury isn't too severe to keep him out of the lineup or force him to go under the knife than he refused this past offseason.

oeo
05-20-2007, 05:10 PM
It was cold through a lot of April and he played. It became enough of an issue to be taken out of the game. Hopefully the pain and injury isn't too severe to keep him out of the lineup or force him to go under the knife than he refused this past offseason.

I'm just saying, there's no reason to expect the worst when we have no idea why he was taken out, besides that it was his back. It might have stiffened up because it was cold, that's all I'm saying.

Jurr
05-20-2007, 05:11 PM
It was cold in April, but it wasn't 80 degrees one day then freezing the next.

Frontman
05-20-2007, 05:17 PM
We'll have to see what happens in the next few days. It could be the atmospheric changes.

kevingrt
05-20-2007, 06:11 PM
The weather sucks. I think that can explain it all.

Taliesinrk
05-20-2007, 06:12 PM
It was cold in April, but it wasn't 80 degrees one day then freezing the next.

that's exactly right.. the previous poster failed to realize that it wasn't the temperature, it was the CHANGE in temperature that can create the problem..

Frontman
05-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Trust me, anyone who's broken a bone or has a touch of arthritis can tell you, temp changes suck.

DickAllen72
05-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Guillen said that Crede's back has been bothering him for a few days now.

alohafri
05-20-2007, 07:56 PM
I had pretty severe lower back problems, to the point where I could hardly get out of bed. Started seeing a chiropractor a few years ago...no problems since.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I hope that Crede's back isn't now going to become an issue.

I wonder if Joe's having second thoughts about not having that microsurgery last off season. From what I understand that would have permanently fixed his problem and I wonder how much Scott Boras figured into Joe's decision.

Lip

INSox56
05-20-2007, 08:52 PM
While I don't disagree that the weather played a part in this, you have to look to Ozzie for a hint there. When asked about it postgame, he said that Crede's been walking funny, had a lot of pain lately, and problems just all around the last week. As I said, the weather exacerbates things, but I think the rehab wasn't such a magic cure that Crede had initially thought if he's wincing already and in a lot of pain. It's mid-May...

MRM
05-20-2007, 09:28 PM
We talked about this in the gameday thread. Crede still has a bulging disc in his back. The only treatment there is for it is surgery or stretching/exercise. Even with the stretching, the disc is still injured.

So, when there are radical atmospheric changes, any joint space (including the discs) can really start to tighten up or ache, especially previously injured ones. You'll sometimes hear people say that they can tell when it's about to rain because their shoulders or knees hurt. It's the same thing.

Hopefully a little treatment will have him right.

You are dead on right on this post. I have three of those buggers (bulging discs). The various exercises you can do to alleviate it are only temporary fixes. The ONLY cure is surgery, and I sure don't blame Joe for not wanting that option when I won't go that route myself...even though I don't have a baseball career riding on the outcome.

MRM
05-20-2007, 09:34 PM
While I don't disagree that the weather played a part in this, you have to look to Ozzie for a hint there. When asked about it postgame, he said that Crede's been walking funny, had a lot of pain lately, and problems just all around the last week. As I said, the weather exacerbates things, but I think the rehab wasn't such a magic cure that Crede had initially thought if he's wincing already and in a lot of pain. It's mid-May...

With this sort of thing you can be barely able to walk today and completely fine tomorrow. The "rehab" he's getting, I'm sure, consists of back strengthening exercises, re-setting the disk(s), and heat/cold treatment on the affected area followed by electrical impulses. As someone who sufferes from the same/similar injury (though without the immense amount of treatment I'm sure Joe gets) I can tell you it's hit or miss from day to day. It can be fine for weeks...or even months, then one wrong twist or turn starts it all over again.

Hitmen77
05-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Here's what they're saying on whitesox.com:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070520&content_id=1976006&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Guillen knew the pain had worsened for Crede by the way he was moving around the clubhouse Sunday morning, and Crede added it was more extreme than at any other time this season.

Neither individual believes the problem would require a trip to the disabled list. Guillen planned to rest Crede on Monday and possibly a little longer, while Crede believed Sunday's cortisone shot and anti-inflammatory medication would help quiet the pain.

"We'll see how it feels tomorrow and have a better feel for the situation," said Crede. "I played all day yesterday and it was there a little bit. But today it kind of locked up on me in the fourth, where I couldn't straighten out my back."

Madvora
05-21-2007, 09:22 AM
If this does lead to a DL trip, I wonder what the plan will be. Do you think they will bring Sweeney back up and just have Ozuna start at 3B or do you think they will look at a more full time 3B like Fields to come up and take the spot?

Dan Mega
05-21-2007, 09:26 AM
If this does lead to a DL trip, I wonder what the plan will be. Do you think they will bring Sweeney back up and just have Ozuna start at 3B or do you think they will look at a more full time 3B like Fields to come up and take the spot?

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing what Fields could do with a couple weeks up here.

Madvora
05-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing what Fields could do with a couple weeks up here.
I agree. We already know what it's like having Ozuna in the lineup almost everyday, so we might as well take a chance on Fields. Ozuna doesn't have his 2005/2006 stuff this year, at least not yet.
If Crede is out then this would be a perfect time to take a look. Seems pretty logical to me.

palehozenychicty
05-21-2007, 10:14 AM

Let's see what the kid can do. He already is a better fielder than Ozuna, and won't hit any worse than Crede has so far. Ozuna really shouldn't be out there, with those stone hands.

Madvora
05-21-2007, 10:18 AM
First we have to hear if Joe is going to be on the DL though. I have a feeling Ozuna will be starting there at least the next two games before any decision is made.
I don't know too much about the injury but some people keep saying that this isn't the type of injury that a DL stint would even help that much. Can someone explain that?

jabrch
05-21-2007, 11:39 AM
I had pretty severe lower back problems, to the point where I could hardly get out of bed. Started seeing a chiropractor a few years ago...no problems since.

I'm assuming your livelihood isn't dependent on creating incredible force to the swing of a stick - mostly the result of torque on your lower back?

No offense Aloha - but we Ham-and-Eggers can't compare ourselves to pro athletes on so many levels.

russ99
05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Let's see what the kid can do. He already is a better fielder than Ozuna, and won't hit any worse than Crede has so far. Ozuna really shouldn't be out there, with those stone hands.

Actually, Ozuna has really surprised me with his play at 3B this season.

Madvora
05-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Actually, Ozuna has really surprised me with his play at 3B this season.
Well Ozuna could have the Greg Norton role out there of the occasional spectacular play, but not so good at other times.
If Ozuna's was hitting like he was in 2005/2006 then I'd be all for it, but he's not really doing anything offensively this year. In a case like this I'd take Fields, the better defensive player and gamble that he'd have the better offense too. He doesn't have much to beat.

The other thing is that this is the year the Sox are going to have to make a decision on Crede. Fields is the guy who's going to replace him. What better time than now to find out a little about our future.

INSox56
05-21-2007, 12:38 PM
First we have to hear if Joe is going to be on the DL though. I have a feeling Ozuna will be starting there at least the next two games before any decision is made.
I don't know too much about the injury but some people keep saying that this isn't the type of injury that a DL stint would even help that much. Can someone explain that?As Hermie and other docs have stated with Joe, it's just a matter of reducing the pain. Until he gets surgery, he's only going to be able to reduce the amount of pain he has to deal with by strengthening his stomach and muscles around his back. A trip to the DL would only let him kind of reset the pain meter to zero so to speak. It'd just build up again from there I'd assume.

The other thing is that this is the year the Sox are going to have to make a decision on Crede. Fields is the guy who's going to replace him. What better time than now to find out a little about our future.I'd love to see what Fields can do, for a few reasons. First we get to see what he'd be capable of, offensively and defensively, were we to trade crede at the deadline (not likely) or in the offseason if we're not thinking able to re-sign him. Second, if we're going to keep him, it'd be a good thing to have some major league experience for Fields so we can showcase him for a trade.

The Immigrant
05-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Fields has been heating up offensively in Charlotte. He should get a chance to play 3B everyday if Crede goes on the DL.

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Doesn't Mack play third? As I understood, he was originally more of a backup for Crede and a corner outfielder after that, who got stuck in center too frequently last season. In his career, Mack has played the most innings in right, followed by center (:o:) and third. His career fielding percentage at third is .956, compared with Ozuna's .938. In RF and ZR they are comparable.

If this turns out to be a DL type of thing for Crede, I'd like to see Fields. We've been hearing so much about him, this would be his opportunity to actually play. But in the short term I'd rather see Mack than Ozuna at third.

ShoelessJoeS
05-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing what Fields could do with a couple weeks up here.I agree with this as well. At some point we're going to have to see what Fields can do at the Major League level sooner than later anyways.

Hokiesox
05-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Might they be holding Fields back to keep his trade value as high as it's going to get without an extended stay in the show?

Jurr
05-21-2007, 01:28 PM
I heard Crede's audio interview on the trib website. He said that the back had been acting up the previous day, as well. I think this can pretty much put the weather issue to rest. He has obviously stressed the discs a little, and an anti-inflammatory regimen was put in motion. I'd be surprised if he wasn't put on the shelf.

This reminds me of David Wells' book. He went into great detail about his disc issues, and stated how great he felt after his cortisone shots. Hopefully this helps Joe to the point that he can play. However, there comes a time where the inflammation just won't hold up to a shot anymore. Let's hope that doesn't happen with Joe.

Steelrod
05-21-2007, 01:42 PM
As Hermie and other docs have stated with Joe, it's just a matter of reducing the pain. Until he gets surgery, he's only going to be able to reduce the amount of pain he has to deal with by strengthening his stomach and muscles around his back. A trip to the DL would only let him kind of reset the pain meter to zero so to speak. It'd just build up again from there I'd assume.

This takes me back to the off season when Crede and his agent weren't willing to talk about surgery, followed by a multi year contract. They gambled and maybe we all lose.

Foulke You
05-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Doesn't Mack play third? As I understood, he was originally more of a backup for Crede and a corner outfielder after that, who got stuck in center too frequently last season. In his career, Mack has played the most innings in right, followed by center (:o:) and third. His career fielding percentage at third is .956, compared with Ozuna's .938. In RF and ZR they are comparable.

If this turns out to be a DL type of thing for Crede, I'd like to see Fields. We've been hearing so much about him, this would be his opportunity to actually play. But in the short term I'd rather see Mack than Ozuna at third.
You're correct that Mackowiak was originally brought in as a back up 3B to Crede however, he has only started a handful of games at 3B since coming to the Sox. I'm not exactly sure what the reason for that is but if we moved Mack to 3B that would leave us with a Terrero/Ozuna situation in LF. Not exactly an ideal situation either.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fields brought up. He can play some LF in addition to 3B and would probably provide more production than we'd get from Terrero. I've really been impressed with Josh Fields in the limited games I've seen him in. I'm willing to bet we haven't brought Fields up because they don't want to use up all his options on his contract.

05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
May 23 Updating previous items, The Northwest Herald's Nick Pietruszkiewicz reports Chicago White Sox 3B Joe Crede (back) will likely go on the 15-day disabled list if he is not back in the lineup by Friday, May 25.

Hopefully Joe will sit down and get things right and have the kind of resurgence he did in 2005 when he returned from his back problems.

gobears1987
05-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Hopefully Joe will sit down and get things right and have the kind of resurgence he did in 2005 when he returned from his back problems.If he goes on the DL, does Ozzie give Fields a chance?

my5thbench
05-23-2007, 02:46 PM
let's just hope he isn't gone long.....we need ya' Joe

WhiteSox5187
05-23-2007, 03:24 PM
If he goes on the DL, does Ozzie give Fields a chance?
We gave Sweeney a chance, I think that Fields oughta come up and show us what he can do against big league pitching...But I wouldn't mind moving Mack over to third and recalling Sweeney and have him play in Left.

alohafri
05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm assuming your livelihood isn't dependent on creating incredible force to the swing of a stick - mostly the result of torque on your lower back?

Have you ever taught 8th graders? :tongue:

No offense Aloha - but we Ham-and-Eggers can't compare ourselves to pro athletes on so many levels.

Would it have been different if both of us had broken arms? Is his break worse than mine because he is an athlete?

lostfan
05-23-2007, 03:48 PM
We gave Sweeney a chance, I think that Fields oughta come up and show us what he can do against big league pitching...But I wouldn't mind moving Mack over to third and recalling Sweeney and have him play in Left.
Arbitrarily using up Sweeney's options too soon is a bad idea IMO. I'd look elsewhere before calling Sweeney back up unless he's here to stay.

rocky biddle
05-23-2007, 04:34 PM
I had the surgery they recommended for Crede, and I've had 2 other surgeries since. Granted I'm not even close to being in the shape of a professional athlete, but I struggle to get out of bed every morning. And I'm on a decent dose of pain meds as well.

I don't blame Crede for not wanting to go under the knife. I'm a prime example that there are no guarantees. A simple outpatient procedure has turned into titanium rods holding my spinal column together and pretty much every disc I have being herniated in some form.

If Joe is able to get it under control to a degree that allows him to play, he'd probably be smart to hold out as long as he can without surgery. If that means sitting out a few games here and there, so be it. I'd much rather lose him for a few games early in the season and have him healthy in the later months than have him undergo offseason surgery and open up a can of worms.

Just my 2 cents.

Hitmen77
05-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Arbitrarily using up Sweeney's options too soon is a bad idea IMO. I'd look elsewhere before calling Sweeney back up unless he's here to stay.
Bringing him up and down from the minors more than once in a season isn't going to use up more options. The Sox used up one option - and only one option - on Sweeney for this year regardless of whether he returns to the majors this year or not.

However, if I'm not mistaken, a player that is sent down to the minors can't return for at least 10 days. If that is correct, then even if someone like Crede went on the DL now, Sweeney couldn't be recalled until May 30.

lostfan
05-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Bringing him up and down from the minors more than once in a season isn't going to use up more options. The Sox used up one option - and only one option - on Sweeney for this year regardless of whether he returns to the majors this year or not.

However, if I'm not mistaken, a player that is sent down to the minors can't return for at least 10 days. If that is correct, then even if someone like Crede went on the DL now, Sweeney couldn't be recalled until May 30.
Thanks, I didn't know that. You learn something new every day I guess. In that case then yeah, bring Sweeney back up. He's the best LF the team has right now.

RowanDye
05-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Crede's back?

It's Dankerific
05-24-2007, 12:19 AM

I believe you CAN bring someone back up to the majors when there is an injury on the big league club. (just not something like calling up a guy for a spot start.)

Hokiesox
05-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Crede's back?

is hurt.

gobears1987
05-24-2007, 10:37 AM
I heard Ozzie say yesterday that Crede will probably be in the lineup on Friday.