PDA

View Full Version : Harold the coach

delben91
03-29-2002, 10:26 AM
Found this in the southtown, here's the link (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/292sd3.htm), but the part about baines is
Forty-three-year-old Harold Baines, who has not officially retired as a player, will open the
season as a special roving instructor for Sox minor league teams.

"He's been a little more vocal than I thought he would be,'' Williams said of the soft-spoken
Baines. "But he's the consummate professional. The younger players have a lot of respect for him.''

I think this is a good role for Harold, he didn't have it last year, but the man still knows how to hit, just couldn't keep up with the guys physically. I think he'll be an awesome roving instructor.

cheeses_h_rice
03-29-2002, 10:33 AM
I like the fact that he never officially retired.

Stubbornmuch?

voodoochile
03-29-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Stubbornmuch?

He said he was waiting to see if anyone called him needing a LH bat off the bench. Doesn't look like it is going to happen, but I respect Haaarold's decision to only retire once and not have to explain why he is un-retiring later. Hopefully he remains with the Sox as an instructor/coach for as long as he is active in baseball. Haaarold is an all class guy. Always has been, always will be...

Iwritecode
03-29-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Stubbornmuch?

Well, if you're from Chicago and you retire, you can always un-retire sometime later. I think it has something to do with wearing #23 though...

Although Magic Johnson did it too...

foulkesfan11
03-29-2002, 02:31 PM
Good for Harold! I'd rather see him doing something than sitting on the bench. I felt so bad for him last year when he got hit in the mouth by a line drive.

Kilroy
03-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
... I felt so bad for him last year when he got hit in the mouth by a line drive.

I thought that was a throw coming into 2nd as he was about to slide in for a double...

Pete_SSAC
03-29-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I thought that was a throw coming into 2nd as he was about to slide in for a double...

It was.

- Pete