PDA

View Full Version : Thome off DL today?

gosiu
05-20-2007, 01:07 PM
That's what was said a minute ago on the CSN broadcast. Can anyone confirm this, and if so, who was sent out?

pmck003
05-20-2007, 01:13 PM
There's and article on chicagosports.com that says he'll be around to pinch hit.

CHISOXFAN13
05-20-2007, 01:16 PM
It was reported on the pregame show earlier.

Sweeney was sent back to Charlotte.

gosiu
05-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Hmm. I would have sent Terreo, but at least Sweeney can play every day now.

The Dude
05-20-2007, 01:28 PM
I really thought Sweeney would stay up here. Disappointing, but glad to have Thome back. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

TDog
05-20-2007, 01:30 PM
It was reported on the pregame show earlier.

Sweeney was sent back to Charlotte.

I'm surprised Sweeney was sent down instead of Tererro. But I can't see the big picture management is looking at. When Podsednik comes back, the Sox can't very well send Tererro down because they need a backup center fielder. Maybe a reliever was initially pegged to go down, but Sweeney got the call because the Sox need all the arms they can get in the pen right now. Sweeney's option situation is more flexible than Tererro's.

I wonder what the Charlotte outfield will look like with both Sweeney and Anderson needing regular work.

y2j2785
05-20-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm surprised Sweeney was sent down instead of Tererro. But I can't see the big picture management is looking at. When Podsednik comes back, the Sox can't very well send Tererro down because they need a backup center fielder. Maybe a reliever was initially pegged to go down, but Sweeney got the call because the Sox need all the arms they can get in the pen right now. Sweeney's option situation is more flexible than Tererro's.

I wonder what the Charlotte outfield will look like with both Sweeney and Anderson needing regular work.

I believe I read somewhere that Terrero is out of options and most likely would of been claimed before he made it down to AAA.

chisoxfanatic
05-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I believe I read somewhere that Terrero is out of options and most likely would of been claimed before he made it down to AAA.
How on earth could he be out of options? I can't recall him being brought up and sent back down very many times!

FedEx227
05-20-2007, 06:27 PM
How on earth could he be out of options? I can't recall him being brought up and sent back down very many times!

I think Arizona played around with him a ton. 2004 he played 62 games, 2005 he played 88, 2006 played 27 games with Baltimore.

oeo
05-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm surprised Sweeney was sent down instead of Tererro.

Because he needs AB's, and maybe you didn't notice, but he was struggling. He came up and had some big hits, but as of late, they've been busting him inside and he's been having trouble. He needs some more seasoning, as did Anderson.

When Podsednik comes back, the Sox can't very well send Tererro down because they need a backup center fielder.

Kenny Williams is quoted as saying he's not sure if Pods will be back by the All Star Break. I'm not expecting Pods to ever come back...if he does, great, but he just keeps getting pushed back further every week.

Brian26
05-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Hmm. I would have sent Terreo, but at least Sweeney can play every day now.

The whole in Sweeney's swing is larger than Terrero's.

oeo
05-20-2007, 06:31 PM
The whole in Sweeney's swing is larger than Terrero's.

I don't know, Terrero doesn't bring much of anything...but I'd rather have him sitting on the bench than Sweeney.

Frontman
05-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Glad to see Jim get into the game today. Hopefully, this is a good sign for things to come.

Glad to see that Sweeny will get play down in AAA. God only knows he can play, compared to Molina; who was just b-r-utal.

ondafarm
05-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Thome still appears to lead the team in base on balls. Of course, he walked today.

Frontman
05-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Thome still appears to lead the team in base on balls. Of course, he walked today.

Even with a walk, its closer to first base than some of the other players have been getting.

Brian26
05-20-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't know, Terrero doesn't bring much of anything...but I'd rather have him sitting on the bench than Sweeney.

I don't think either of them bring much of anything at this point. I like Sweeney's glove in left, but he looked completely and utterly overmatched yesterday in a critical at-bat. Terrero doesn't appear to have the kind of speed that everyone claims he does. He looked lethargic scoring on that hit from second base about a week ago. Neither guy needs to be in the starting lineup at this point.

I like Sweeney's potential, but he's not ready yet.

Brian26
05-20-2007, 06:36 PM

A HUGE walk, with two outs, that extended the inning and got AJ up there to hit the slam. Don't underestimate Thome's presence in the lineup.

oeo
05-20-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't think either of them bring much of anything at this point. I like Sweeney's glove in left, but he looked completely and utterly overmatched yesterday in a critical at-bat. Terrero doesn't appear to have the kind of speed that everyone claims he does. He looked lethargic scoring on that hit from second base about a week ago. Neither guy needs to be in the starting lineup at this point.

I like Sweeney's potential, but he's not ready yet.

Oh, I totally agree with you. I'm just saying, Sweeney might be a more valuable hitter right now than Terrero, even when he's not ready. But I already said it before, Sweeney isn't ready right now.

DickAllen72
05-20-2007, 06:37 PM
A week or 10 days ago I was all for Sweeney staying up when Thome came back, but after watching Sweeney over the past week I'm glad he's going back to AAA. He's still not ready to start in the Major Leagues, and sitting on the bench would be the worst thing for him.