PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik Injury Update

Lip Man 1
05-19-2007, 12:51 PM
From Saturday's Tribune. (and no this isn't the entire story...)

"The sight of Scott Podsednik performing agility drills in the Wrigley Field outfield might raise hopes for Sox fans seeking the return of the speedy leadoff hitter, but general manager Ken Williams raised doubt whether Podsednik would return by the All-Star break. "When he's ready, he'll be ready," Williams said. "And it certainly isn't anytime soon." Podsednik has been on the disabled list for more than a month because of a mild right adductor strain, opening a revolving door in left field for Rob Mackowiak (who has played 40 percent of the innings since Podsednik got hurt), Ryan Sweeney, Pablo Ozuna, Luis Terrero and even Brian Anderson."

Mark Gonzales

soxfanatlanta
05-19-2007, 01:18 PM
All star break? :o:

:whiner:

Ooof.

oeo
05-19-2007, 02:02 PM
All star break? :o:

:whiner:

Ooof.

Doubt by the All Star Break. I think Scotty's done in a Sox uniform (as our everyday LF, at least). By the time he gets back, either one of Sweeney or Anderson is playing well, or Kenny has already made a move to replace him.

WhiteSox5187
05-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Fact is, even when he comes back Scotty isn't going to be 100% so he might not be that effective. It's time to consider life without Scotty and looking outside the organization for help...I just don't who we could get and who we would be willing to give up.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-20-2007, 05:55 AM
The Sox have the need...the need for speed. Is Pablo an everyday second-sacker? If so, it opens up the possibility of moving Gooch, and acquiring a legitimate lead-off hitter. Pablo could bat 9th, creating speed at the top and bottom of the order.

Grzegorz
05-20-2007, 05:55 AM
The Sox have the need...the need for speed. Is Pablo an everyday second-sacker? If so, it opens up the possibility of moving Gooch, and acquiring a legitimate lead-off hitter. Pablo could bat 9th, creating speed at the top and bottom of the order.

I like what Pablo can bring from the offensive side, but defensively he's just not that good. Putting him in the pivot would be a disaster.

Trying to get help in left field or at any other position at this point and time is useless. The Chicago White Sox had better wake up to the fact that they're playing poorly. Each and every one of these guys should look in the mirror and starting today pledge to play better baseball.

roadrunner
05-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Doubt by the All Star Break. I think Scotty's done in a Sox uniform (as our everyday LF, at least). By the time he gets back, either one of Sweeney or Anderson is playing well, or Kenny has already made a move to replace him.

I tend to agree. Thanks for 2005 but it's time to move on. My hope is that they plug in Sweeney everyday and start getting him some experience on an everyday basis. He's been productive enough that it wouldn't be like the Sox were only playing for the future. They aren't getting an increase in marginal production when they don't play him so let's see what he's got. In addition, it will help this off season when evaluating our needs. Mack, Ozuna, Terrero and even Pods (if he's less than full speed) getting at bats in left don't do anything for me.

Thome25
05-20-2007, 02:01 PM

I'm hoping KW isn't reading this post. Ozuna is a butcher in the field and IMO the only place for him is as a DH.

Thome25
05-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I tend to agree. Thanks for 2005 but it's time to move on. My hope is that they plug in Sweeney everyday and start getting him some experience on an everyday basis. He's been productive enough that it wouldn't be like the Sox were only playing for the future. They aren't getting an increase in marginal production when they don't play him so let's see what he's got. In addition, it will help this off season when evaluating our needs. Mack, Ozuna, Terrero and even Pods (if he's less than full speed) getting at bats in left don't do anything for me.

There's no reason to play Mack or Ozuna in LF at this point. Give Sweeney all the ABs......Let Sweeney play every day!!!!

05-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Sweeney has been sent to AAA.

TDog
05-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm hoping KW isn't reading this post. Ozuna is a butcher in the field and IMO the only place for him is as a DH.

Some people say the same thing about Podsednik. Maybe not about DHing. But if you have a team with a strong DH, which the White Sox normally do because both Konerko and Thome are at the heart of the offense and they both play first base, you aren't going to DH Podsednik or Ozuna. There aren't any upper-tier teams that would.

Ozuma's playing time will be limited because you would rather have stronger defenders playing on a regular basis. I believe Podsednik could be replaced, although he was one of the few Sox hitting early in the season. With Anderson's tools, I was hoping he could develop the plate discipline to lead off. Anderson is still young enough that I don't yet believe I have been pr oven wrong.

In any case, I don't believe the Sox would need to trade a hitter like Carlos Lee to replace Podsednik.

Foulke You
05-20-2007, 05:38 PM
I think KW is waiting to see if Pods makes any strides in his recovery. If it looks like he isn't going to be ready for a while, I see him making a move for a LF.

MRM
05-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Fact is, even when he comes back Scotty isn't going to be 100% so he might not be that effective. It's time to consider life without Scotty and looking outside the organization for help...I just don't who we could get and who we would be willing to give up.

The answers are Carl Crawford and whatever it takes!

MRM
05-20-2007, 08:43 PM
There's no reason to play Mack or Ozuna in LF at this point. Give Sweeney all the ABs......Let Sweeney play every day!!!!

He's not ready to be an every day player on a championship caliber team.

WhiteSox5187
05-21-2007, 01:45 AM
The answers are Carl Crawford and whatever it takes!
That might mean departing with Danks...I'm not so sure I'm willing to do that. I'd give up Floyd and Gio in a heartbeat though.

HawkDJ
05-21-2007, 01:48 AM

Carl Everett?

MUsoxfan
05-21-2007, 01:49 AM
That might mean departing with Danks...I'm not so sure I'm willing to do that. I'd give up Floyd and Gio in a heartbeat though.

I don't think KW would trade any of those guys for what will be an extraordinarily expensive outfielder at this point because all of them have an extremely high ceiling and would be under Sox control for many years to come.

WhiteSox5187
05-21-2007, 02:21 AM
I don't think KW would trade any of those guys for what will be an extraordinarily expensive outfielder at this point because all of them have an extremely high ceiling and would be under Sox control for many years to come.
Yea...I mean obviously you'd have to give away some future to help ya out in the present...but I think Crawford would help us out so much and resigning Buerhle and keeping Garland locked up I think would be good enough for the years to come. But that's exactly why I'd never be a GM of a team.

balke
05-24-2007, 03:13 PM
This (http://www.kffl.com/player/7679/mlb) site has been keeping pretty good tabs on Pods Progress it seems.

lostfan
05-24-2007, 04:03 PM
He's not ready to be an every day player on a championship caliber team.
And he won't be if he doesn't play at the major-league level. Better to get the ball rolling now.

russ99
05-24-2007, 04:09 PM
I hope Kenny's flying a bit under the radar with Scott's rehab date. I kept expecting a beginning-mid June for a possible minor league assignment, but the Sox need to ensure he's 100% healthy before going that route, so I understand the caution.

As for Ozuna at 2B, as much as I disagree with the move, we should prepare cause most indications are that Ozzie's going to give him a shot starting there next season.

Despite his slump at the plate right now, we're really gonna miss Iguchi's outstanding glovework when he's gone.

upperdeckusc
05-24-2007, 07:27 PM

we are definitely not going to be a championship team with mack/ozuna in LF everyday. either give that position to sweeney and let him groom in with the team, gradually getting better, putting up decent numbers now and making him stronger for the future, or make a trade for a LF and sweeney will be back with us next yr in RF if dye doesnt come back. either way, mack and ozuna need to be on the bench: thats where they've been the most productive for this squad

upperdeckusc
05-24-2007, 07:28 PM
I hope Kenny's flying a bit under the radar with Scott's rehab date. I kept expecting a beginning-mid June for a possible minor league assignment, but the Sox need to ensure he's 100% healthy before going that route, so I understand the caution.

As for Ozuna at 2B, as much as I disagree with the move, we should prepare cause most indications are that Ozzie's going to give him a shot starting there next season.

Despite his slump at the plate right now, we're really gonna miss Iguchi's outstanding glovework when he's gone.

why will iguchi not be back? what are these "most indications" you speak of? iguchi is going to be relatively cheap. unless he never snaps out of this funk and bats .210 all yr (doubtful), i think he'll be back

delben91
05-24-2007, 07:34 PM

I have heard nothing of this at all. What "indications" are these?

JB98
05-24-2007, 07:36 PM
we are definitely not going to be a championship team with mack/ozuna in LF everyday. either give that position to sweeney and let him groom in with the team, gradually getting better, putting up decent numbers now and making him stronger for the future, or make a trade for a LF and sweeney will be back with us next yr in RF if dye doesnt come back. either way, mack and ozuna need to be on the bench: thats where they've been the most productive for this squad

If Pods isn't back in another month, I think KW will look outside the organization. We're OK with Mack/Ozuna for now, but I don't want to play that way for another four months. I can tolerate it for another four weeks.

JB98
05-24-2007, 07:37 PM
I have heard nothing of this at all. What "indications" are these?

I've never heard of such "indications" either. All I know is we don't have anybody in the minors who could possibly replace Tad.

05-24-2007, 08:03 PM
I've never heard of such "indications" either. All I know is we don't have anybody in the minors who could possibly replace Tad.

Chris Getz if he continues to develop.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71959

JB98
05-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Chris Getz if he continues to develop.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71959

That kid isn't likely to be ready next year.

05-24-2007, 08:13 PM
That kid isn't likely to be ready next year.

Maybe not. That article was from last year and he started this year in AA and has done well.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Christopher%20Getz&pos=IF&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=460051

If he sees AAA for the 2nd half and still hits .300 with a pretty good OBP while leading off than he might have his shot. I'd say he is a better option than Ozuna at least.

delben91
05-24-2007, 08:13 PM

Valido could most definitely replace his glove, not sure about the bat.

EDIT: Now that I've typed that, he's having a horrendous year at Birmingham. Ignore me.

JB98
05-24-2007, 08:15 PM

All I know is we can't go into 2008 with Sweeney, Anderson and Getz/Valido all in the everyday lineup and expect to win.

I fully expect one of the young outfielders to be in the mix next year. To me, Iguchi is a must-sign. There aren't a lot of good second basemen out there.

JB98
05-24-2007, 08:16 PM

EDIT: Now that I've typed that, he's having a horrendous year at Birmingham. Ignore me.

Yeah, I thought I had read that the organization was unhappy with Valido's progress. I have seen some good things from him with the glove, watching some spring training games. But those numbers this year are atrocious.

delben91
05-24-2007, 08:18 PM
All I know is we can't go into 2008 with Sweeney, Anderson and Getz/Valido all in the everyday lineup and expect to win.

I fully expect one of the young outfielders to be in the mix next year. To me, Iguchi is a must-sign. There aren't a lot of good second basemen out there.

I agree. Personally I think Tadahito will re-sign with the Sox. But that's just my opinion, I've heard nothing to either support or strike down that line of thinking.

It's possible the Sox will have new LF and RF next year, as unless Pods comes back like gangbusters and stays healthy the whole second half, I doubt the Sox re-sign him, and with Dye, it seems to me it's either re-sign him or Buehrle, but both probably isn't likely.

I could definitely see Sweeney sliding into RF pretty seamlessly with another year in the minors, and the Sox signing someone "solid" to play LF.

05-24-2007, 08:20 PM
To me, Iguchi is a must-sign. There aren't a lot of good second basemen out there.

I agree. He isn't exactly going to break the bank either.

I'd say that going outside of the organization to upgrade the outfield would be a good move as well. Pods/Ozuna/Mack/Anderson/Sweeney/Owens/whomever filling the holes doesn't exactly look very good. Especially if Dye is gone.

JB98
05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
I agree. He isn't exactly going to break the bank either.

I'd say that going outside of the organization to upgrade the outfield would be a good move as well. Pods/Ozuna/Mack/Anderson/Sweeney/Owens/whomever filling the holes doesn't exactly look very good. Especially if Dye is gone.

If we lose JD, we need somebody else. I can live with Sweeney/Anderson as a replacement for Pods next year. And I do think Pods is done with the Sox after this season: They can't trust him to stay healthy anymore.

An outfield of Sweeney/Erstad/Anderson for 2008? BLECH! No power production whatsoever.

EMachine10
05-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Anderson was always supposed to have decent power, regardless of whether or not he showed it last year. Don't forget, he only hit the ball 20% of the time. He had always been a #3 hitter, and before his disasterous year, there were still scounts thinking he could eventually be a big league 3 hitter. So, he could still develop nice power. He certainly has the body to.

JB98
05-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Anderson was always supposed to have decent power, regardless of whether or not he showed it last year. Don't forget, he only hit the ball 20% of the time. He had always been a #3 hitter, and before his disasterous year, there were still scounts thinking he could eventually be a big league 3 hitter. So, he could still develop nice power. He certainly has the body to.

It's possible, but we can't afford to let JD go thinking BA is going to step into that power spot. BA has yet to show he can hit big-league pitching, let alone hit for power in the big leagues.

Owens is another guy who might be in our outfield next year. He's got a .370 OBP and has swiped 20 bags down at Charlotte.

Red Barchetta
05-24-2007, 10:08 PM
It's a shame that none of the heralded minor league players have stuck. I believe one of the main reasons the SOX did not pursue resigning Magglio was because they felt Borchard was the replacement. Dye has been a great FA acquisition, however the same story is now unfolding for Brian Anderson. Sweeney next?

JB98
05-24-2007, 10:34 PM
It's a shame that none of the heralded minor league players have stuck. I believe one of the main reasons the SOX did not pursue resigning Magglio was because they felt Borchard was the replacement. Dye has been a great FA acquisition, however the same story is now unfolding for Brian Anderson. Sweeney next?

I hope not. Among Sweeney/Anderson/Fields/Owens, we need at least two of them to stick. We're an older team, and it's real hard to retool exclusively through free agency.

KW really hit the jackpot with his acquisitions during the offseason between 2004 and 2005. He got Dye, AJ, Iguchi, Hermanson and El Duque all in one offseason, and all of them turned out to be HUGE for the Sox. That proved that KW can retool through free agency, but in that instance, he was both lucky and good. Don't know if he could pull something like that off again. We need to supplement our free-agent moves with the development of some young talent.

delben91
05-24-2007, 10:50 PM
I hope not. Among Sweeney/Anderson/Fields/Owens, we need at least two of them to stick. We're an older team, and it's real hard to retool exclusively through free agency.

KW really hit the jackpot with his acquisitions during the offseason between 2004 and 2005. He got Dye, AJ, Iguchi, Hermanson and El Duque all in one offseason, and all of them turned out to be HUGE for the Sox. That proved that KW can retool through free agency, but in that instance, he was both lucky and good. Don't know if he could pull something like that off again. We need to supplement our free-agent moves with the development of some young talent.

He has poached a decent amount of young talent from other organizations, mainly in the pitching area though.

I'm thinking:

Danks
Masset (I realize the jury is still out on these two, but they potential they've shown so far is impressive)
Jenks
Aardsma

Also, there's the next tier that have the talent, it's just whether it'll translate at the major league level:

Sisco
G Gonzalez
Floyd (?)

He's done really well on the pitching side, hopefully either our own position prospects, or some KW can acquire, will pan out as well.

JB98
05-24-2007, 10:59 PM
He has poached a decent amount of young talent from other organizations, mainly in the pitching area though.

I'm thinking:

Danks
Masset (I realize the jury is still out on these two, but they potential they've shown so far is impressive)
Jenks
Aardsma

Also, there's the next tier that have the talent, it's just whether it'll translate at the major league level:

Sisco
G Gonzalez
Floyd (?)

He's done really well on the pitching side, hopefully either our own prospects, or some KW can acquire, will pan out as well.

He's done a good job of adding depth on the pitching side. We have enough quality in the system that the odds are in our favor now in terms of retooling the pitching staff from within. Don't forget Vasquez (sp?), that left-hander we have in Charlotte. That's another example of KW poaching a young pitching talent from another organization.

delben91
05-24-2007, 11:02 PM
He's done a good job of adding depth on the pitching side. We have enough quality in the system that the odds are in our favor now in terms of retooling the pitching staff from within. Don't forget Vasquez (sp?), that left-hander we have in Charlotte. That's another example of KW poaching a young pitching talent from another organization.

I really think that Owens, who he got from Washington for Escobar I believe...could be a solid leadoff man/leftfielder if (and a big if), he can get close to that same .370 OBP in the majors.

Also, just the things I've heard about Sweeney, and his veteran-like demeanor, even as a rookie, just give me a good feeling that he knows what his game lacks and what he needs to work on. I realize none of these are quantitative measures, but sometimes a gut feeling is all you can point to.

JB98
05-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I really think that Owens, who he got from Washington for Escobar I believe...could be a solid leadoff man/leftfielder if (and a big if), he can get close to that same .370 OBP in the majors.

Also, just the things I've heard about Sweeney, and his veteran-like demeanor, even as a rookie, just give me a good feeling that he knows what his game lacks and what he needs to work on. I realize none of these are quantitative measures, but sometimes a gut feeling is all you can point to.

Sweeney is the one I feel best about in the group. Fields is really coming on lately after a terrible start. It's all guesswork at this point. I've been right about our prospects at times, but I've also been horribly wrong on other occasions.

Madscout
05-25-2007, 02:27 AM

Madvora
05-25-2007, 09:12 AM
Check me on this, but we have 19 stolen bases with our whole team combined. The Twins have five guys that have more than that. Detroit has three. Clevland has eight. Boston has eight.
Where the hell are you getting these numbers from?
You really think these teams have 8 guys with more than 19 stolen bases!?

Twins - 39 total (Hunter has the most with 8)
Detroit - 20 total (Granderson has the most with 6)
Cleveland - 27 total (Sizemore has the most with 15)
Boston - 26 total (Lugo has the most with 12)

Lip Man 1
05-25-2007, 06:59 PM
From Scott Reifert's blog Friday:

"Scott Podsednik remains far away from a return ... likely sometime in July."

Lip

chisox77
05-25-2007, 11:16 PM
By then, a clear picture for our LF situation my emerge, and it could be within the organization.

:cool:

JB98
05-25-2007, 11:47 PM
By then, a clear picture for our LF situation my emerge, and it could be within the organization.

:cool:

Guillen's comment on the LF situation today:

"If we see Mackowiak struggle we arent going to find a guy like that out there," Guillen said of an open-market replacement. "Id rather go to the minor leagues."
The Sox have three options waiting in Triple-A Charlotte.
"Three guys we have in our eyes: We have B.A. (Brian Anderson), (Jerry) Owens and (Ryan) Sweeney," Guillen said. "Whichever of those guys are playing better or whatever we need at that particular time, well call up."

Hitmen77
05-26-2007, 12:14 AM
From Scott Reifert's blog Friday:

"Scott Podsednik remains far away from a return ... likely sometime in July."

Lip

...and yet on ABC7 news tonight, they reported that Pods is "80% better" at this point in time and that he may be ready for a minor league rehab assignment soon.:dunno:

At any rate, the Sox play their next 45 games against below .500 teams. The 2nd half will be alot tougher for us. If the scenario plays out that it takes until July for Pods to return - i'd gladly take that if he would then turn out to be healthy for the rest of the season.

...the "if" is the key to Pods, isn't it? It's not so much when he'll return that I'm worried about - it's whether he can stay healthy once he does return.

DickAllen72
05-26-2007, 12:17 AM
If the scenario plays out that it takes until July for Pods to return - i'd gladly take that if he would then turn out to be healthy for the rest of the season.

...the "if" is the key to Pods, isn't it? It's not so much when he'll return that I'm worried about - it's whether he can stay healthy once he does return.
It is inded a big "IF". I just hope when Pods comes back he is able to run better than getting thrown out stealing by Victor Martinez. First half 2005 Pods = great. Pods since then = not so good.

oeo
05-26-2007, 02:12 AM
At any rate, the Sox play their next 45 games against below .500 teams. The 2nd half will be alot tougher for us. If the scenario plays out that it takes until July for Pods to return - i'd gladly take that if he would then turn out to be healthy for the rest of the season.

This is quite deceiving. Not only will teams like the Twins and Yankees not stay under .500, but they are tough games, regardless. Throw in teams like Toronto, Philadelphia, and even the Flubs (play us tough); as well as bad teams we struggle against: Rays and Royals, and it's not quite the cakewalk it looks like.

Hitmen77
05-26-2007, 10:46 AM
This is quite deceiving. Not only will teams like the Twins and Yankees not stay under .500, but they are tough games, regardless. Throw in teams like Toronto, Philadelphia, and even the Flubs (play us tough); as well as bad teams we struggle against: Rays and Royals, and it's not quite the cakewalk it looks like.

Agreed. But, I think the 2nd half will be much tougher. If (and this is a big if, of course) Pods doesn't return til July, but then is healthy for the rest of the season - I'd be happy to have him back for those big games in July and August.

Like I said, my bigger concern is not that it might take another month for Pods to return (though I'd love to have him back now) - I'm more concerned about his ability to stay healthy for the duration once he returns.

balke
05-26-2007, 10:54 AM
It is inded a big "IF"First half 2005 Pods = great. Pods since then = not so good.

I don't agree with that. Even last season and the second half of 2005 he's been the speed on this team. 124 games, 27 doubles, 6 triples, then 40 stolen bags means a guy at the top of the order who's putting himself in scoring position a lot. Put Erstad behind him, and if Erstad lets him steal and can put him on third, the Sox run production goes up.

I'd like to see the guy get 150+ games in for the Sox sometime, but at least when he's on the team he gives 100% until he gets hurt.

ChiSoxGirl
05-30-2007, 10:19 AM
From this morning's Cubune: (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070529soxbits,1,1835323.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

The medical staff confirmed leadoff batter Scott Podsednik's minor-league rehab plan in a statement Tuesday. Podsednik, who has been sidelined since April 17 because of a right adductor strain, could start a rehab assignment next week.Interesting... and hopefully a positive sign- something this team needs desperately right now!

russ99
05-30-2007, 11:02 AM
From this morning's Cubune: (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070529soxbits,1,1835323.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Interesting... and hopefully a positive sign- something this team needs desperately right now!

That's great. Something tells me this rehab is going to be for a few weeks, since the Sox rushed him back this spring and the guys on the big club want to be sure he's healthy. Late June or early July is my guess.

Besides we're not as desperate for Pods as we think. If the Sox can get out of the TwinkyDome today with a win, they'll be fine.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Ozzie's comments on this is the newspaper's struck me as somewhat negative, that he doesn't believe what some are saying. I don't know...it may be frustration or it may simply be Oz is tired of Pods and his inability to stay healthy.

The comment was basically 'Pods is still a long way off, I don't know how long he'll have to spend in the minors but if you ask him 'can you steal a base for us?' he'll tell you 'no.'

Lip

HotelWhiteSox
06-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Podsednik is starting his rehab at AAA tonight (according to the Score)

roylestillman
06-06-2007, 05:49 PM
ESPN carrying that game by any chance?

Hitmen77
06-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Another Cubune article on Pods (and Erstad):
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070605soxside,1,6320469.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

with Podsednik starting a minor-league rehab assignment Wednesday and Erstad not too far behind in his recovery from a sprained left ankle, the White Sox could be in much better shape when they play host to Florida beginning June 18.

balke
06-06-2007, 08:44 PM
I'd like to even see his bat if he's not ready to steal.

oeo
06-07-2007, 12:10 AM
He went 1-3 with an RBI and a run tonight.

Hitmen77
06-14-2007, 11:52 AM
Not that this is going to save the season, but.....

Though neither is definite, it sounds like both Pods and Erstad may both be back as soon as this weekend:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/427449,CST-SPT-soxnt14.article

It'll be interesting to see if their return can at least stop this sickening death spiral. .500 mark here we come!

:gulp:

russ99
06-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Not that this is going to save the season, but.....

Though neither is definite, it sounds like both Pods and Erstad may both be back as soon as this weekend:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/427449,CST-SPT-soxnt14.article

It'll be interesting to see if their return can at least stop this sickening death spiral. .500 mark here we come!

:gulp:

Sounds to me like the Sox would really like to wait a few more days or a week, but due to the bad streak we're on, it probably would be sooner, especially with Erstad.

I'd kill to listen in on that conversation with Ozzie, Kenny and the coaches in Charlotte about Pods' progress, especially considering Ozzie's many negative statements about his recovery the last month or so.

salty99
06-14-2007, 12:21 PM
I would be shocked if Pods is back this weekend. He hasn't even attempted a stolen base yet.

balke
06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I would be shocked if Pods is back this weekend. He hasn't even attempted a stolen base yet.

What do we care about a stolen base right now? I'll take his bat over Mackowiak's right now.

salty99
06-14-2007, 02:37 PM
What do we care about a stolen base right now? I'll take his bat over Mackowiak's right now.

You obviously don't remember Ozzie's quote saying don't even think about coming back here if you can't steal a base.

dickallen15
06-14-2007, 03:20 PM
You obviously don't remember Ozzie's quote saying don't even think about coming back here if you can't steal a base.
Or the quote coming out of Pods himself that said he's pretty much useless if he can't steal bases.

balke
06-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Or the quote coming out of Pods himself that said he's pretty much useless if he can't steal bases.

Mackowiak is Pods without stolen bases.

JB98
06-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Ozzie is wrong. Pods, even without the steals, is a better leadoff hitter than anyone on the current 25-man roster.

Cellview22
06-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Regardless if he steals bases right away or not, just having the key leadoff guy back in the lineup, the guy who helped us win in '05, would be huge for the mentality of this team. The mindset from top to bottom right now is downright brutal.. with Erstad and Pods back in the lineup, we'll definitely turn this thing around and see some exciting baseball again.

JB98
06-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Regardless if he steals bases right away or not, just having the key leadoff guy back in the lineup, the guy who helped us win in '05, would be huge for the mentality of this team. The mindset from top to bottom right now is downright brutal.. with Erstad and Pods back in the lineup, we'll definitely turn this thing around and see some exciting baseball again.

Agree 100 percent.

Recall Pods this weekend.

russ99
06-14-2007, 05:52 PM
I disagree. Bring back Erstad and re-shuffle the pen (not sure about MacDougal yet) this weekend, and give Pods until next weekend to be fully ready to run riot over the Cubs.

We rushed him back the last 2 times he was injured, and look what happened.

JB98
06-14-2007, 05:58 PM
I disagree. Bring back Erstad and re-shuffle the pen (not sure about MacDougal yet) this weekend, and give Pods until next weekend to be fully ready to run riot over the Cubs.

We rushed him back the last 2 times he was injured, and look what happened.

Rushing him back? He's already playing games for Charlotte. If he's playing games for Charlotte, he can play games for the Sox. Is there some increased injury risk by playing for the Sox instead of Charlotte that I don't know about?

He's either able to play or he's not able to play. And if he's able to play, he should be on the big-league club.

ws05champs
06-14-2007, 06:31 PM
It would be nice if the Sox could time things so that Pods, Erstad and MacDougal all come back at the same time. I feel that might have more of an impact on this team than if they brought them back piecemeal. Of course they might have to delay the entry of one or two of them to coordinate this but it might be worth it if it is no more than a week's delay. It might be the big shot in the arm this team needs.

NoNeckEra
06-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Or the quote coming from me that says he can't steal first base.

oeo
06-14-2007, 06:35 PM

He couldn't steal them before he got hurt, how is he going to do it now? If he can get on base, I'll take it. For whatever reason, we win with Pods in the lineup.

JB98
06-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Or the quote coming from me that says he can't steal first base.

Pods is a better hitter than Mackowiak and Owens, no?

It can't get any worse than what we're featuring in the leadoff spot right now.
Yes, I know Pods isn't the long-term answer because of the mounting injuries. But IMO, that's all we got right now.

We need a spark from somewhere. Maybe the spark comes from Pods. It has happened before.

NoNeckEra
06-14-2007, 06:43 PM

Yes, I know Pods isn't the long-term answer because of the mounting injuries. But IMO, that's all we got right now.

We need a spark from somewhere. Maybe the spark comes from Pods. It has happened before.
Sad, but true.

DickAllen72
06-14-2007, 06:49 PM

Just a hypothetical question purely for discussion sake: What if Pods and Erstad come back next week, Dye and Konerko heat up, the bullpen settles down and the Sox go on a tear and are sitting a few games over .500 at the All-Star Break.

Do they then become buyers or sellers at the deadline?

JB98
06-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Just a hypothetical question purely for discussion sake: What if Pods and Erstad come back next week, Dye and Konerko heat up, the bullpen settles down and the Sox go on a tear and are sitting a few games over .500 at the All-Star Break.

It would depend on how much ground they make up in the standings.

UserNameBlank
06-14-2007, 06:59 PM

I think we become buyers just before we spot the meteor.

DickAllen72
06-14-2007, 07:03 PM
It would depend on how much ground they make up in the standings.
Let's say third place, 5.5 games back and 2 games behind Detroit.

I guess the point of my question is would the Sox going on a three to four week hot streak restore faith in the team as a legit contender deserving of trading away prospects and taking on contracts in an effort to put them over? Or has the start of this season indicated that the window has closed on this team and a return to mediocre play after the hot streak would be likely?

JB98
06-14-2007, 07:09 PM

I guess the point of my question is would the Sox going on a three to four week hot streak restore faith in the team as a legit contender deserving of trading away prospects and taking on contracts in an effort to put them over? Or has the start of this season indicated that the window has closed on this team and a return to mediocre play after the hot streak would be likely?

Under the scenario you outline, buyers.

We're a veteran team. I came into the season with the mindset that this would be our last run with this core group. Thus far, I've been sorely disappointed. But if we can somehow get back into position, I'd be all for rolling the dice and taking a shot to get to the postseason.

NoNeckEra
06-14-2007, 07:10 PM

We still haven't established for sure that KW would be a seller under any circumstances. 5.5 back and over .500 at the break would mean full speed ahead as a buyer. It would also mean making a 180 degree turn by a boulder falling off a mountain(Our current status). It's against the laws of physics.

MRM
06-14-2007, 07:27 PM

No question they'd be buyers at that point. Heavy buyers.

Making that kind of come back would validate all of Kennys decisions thus far (at least in his own mind) and the team would go for it. After the incredible flak (and drop in attendance) Reinsdorf got after the so-called white flag deal, I have no doubt he'd up the ante' to make a run this time around.

MushMouth
06-14-2007, 07:28 PM
I'll eat my computer monitor if we're only 2 behind Detroit at the break.

That said, we'd definitely be buyers if that were to miraculously happen.

MRM
06-14-2007, 07:30 PM
We still haven't established for sure that KW would be a seller under any circumstances.

True that he said repeatedly he wouldn't ever be a seller, but he softened that stance a bit last week when he said he "could" wake up one morning and have it slap him in the face that he'd have to go that direction. He also said he'd be the "last one to know" it was time for that, so don't expect a fire-sale anytime soon to be sure.

MRM
06-14-2007, 07:33 PM

In order to be a miracle, we'd have to be talking about something that was "impossible". This wouldn't be unprecedented in the least.

JB98
06-14-2007, 07:34 PM

Yeah, there are only 23 games until the break. It will be extremely hard for us to pick up seven games during that time span, even if the guys pull their heads out of their asses and start playing well.

Say they do get hot and pull within five games of the wild-card spot. Then what? At that point, you're in sort of a gray area where you might have to suspend the decision and see how the long road trip right after the break turns out.

DickAllen72
06-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Before the season if someone told me the Sox would be hovering around .500 at the break, I'd be disappointed. Now, I'd be ecstatic. :cool:

DickAllen72
06-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah, there are only 23 games until the break. It will be extremely hard for us to pick up seven games during that time span, even if the guys pull their heads out of their asses and start playing well.

Say they do get hot and pull within five games of the wild-card spot. Then what? At that point, you're in sort of a gray area where you might have to suspend the decision and see how the long road trip right after the break turns out.
The next twenty games are against some pretty weak teams. The way the Sox have been playing, I don't even expect them to win ten of them. But having said that, it's not entirely unthinkable that if they start playing up to the level they should they can win fifteen of them.

What that would do is put them right near .500 but it still would have been done without facing a team with a winning record. That makes it hard to judge if it were a one-off hot streak during a losing season, or the turning point to a contending season.

Anyway, it's all hypothetical, but at this point it's kind of fun to consider. :tongue:

JB98
06-14-2007, 07:48 PM
The next twenty games are against some pretty weak teams. The way the Sox have been playing, I don't even expect them to win ten of them. But having said that, it's not entirely unthinkable that if they start playing up to the level they should they can win fifteen of them.

What that would do is put them right near .500 but it still would have been done without facing a team with a winning record. That makes it hard to judge if it were a one-off hot streak during a losing season, or the turning point to a contending season.

Anyway, it's all hypothetical, but at this point it's kind of fun to consider. :tongue:

Well, sure, that's part of what message boards are for. We speculate and opine a lot here. We do have a weak schedule between now and the break, but our schedule has been pretty soft the last few weeks too. Toronto, New York, Houston, et al., have gotten well against us when I thought it would be the other way around.

I really don't understand what's going on with this team right now. They are playing bad and are also catching a lot of terrible breaks. Honestly, I don't have any idea what to expect for the next 23 games.