PDA

View Full Version : How does Kenny Fix this team?

RockJock07
05-18-2007, 08:00 PM
I for one don't think it is to early to start tinkering with this team in order to get them to hit.

I would trade Crede and a couple of AAA pitchers to Seattle for Ichiro. I know the M's have a 3b in Beltre but they want to get rid of him and would probably need to eat alot of that huge contract they gave him.

Even though Erstad is doing a very solid job in the leadoff spot, batting him second behind Ichiro or one of the tampa bay outfielders would help this team out.

Thoughts?

sox1970
05-18-2007, 08:03 PM
I for one don't think it is to early to start tinkering with this team in order to get them to hit.

I would trade Crede and a couple of AAA pitchers to Seattle for Ichiro. I know the M's have a 3b in Beltre but they want to get rid of him and would probably need to eat alot of that huge contract they gave him.

Even though Erstad is doing a very solid job in the leadoff spot, batting him second behind Ichiro or one of the tampa bay outfielders would help this team out.

Thoughts?

Why would Seattle want Crede for 2007 and 2008 for Ichiro Suzuki? If they trade Ichiro, it will be for 3 or 4 great prospects, and a couple major league ready pitchers.

thomas35forever
05-18-2007, 08:03 PM
:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

UserNameBlank
05-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Why would Seattle want Crede for 2007 and 2008 for Ichiro Suzuki? If they trade Ichiro, it will be for 3 or 4 great prospects, and a couple major league ready pitchers.
Exactly. If they wanted I think Blanton for Jeremy Reed that is exactly what they will ask. And they won't get anywhere near close to that, because that is the type of package Ichiro would be worth if he was 27 years old and under contract for the next three years. Ichiro will finish out the year in Seattle, partly because they want to convince him to stick around, and partly because Bavasi tremendously overvalues his players.

BTW, I would love Ichiro and he would certainly help the **** out of this team, but he wouldn't put us over the top. There's also no chance in hell of KW dealing valuable pieces for a rental during a season that will certainly slip away fast if the Sox do not start hitting and/or experience more injury issues with key players.

JB98
05-18-2007, 08:13 PM

Thoughts?

My thoughts are we need a healthy JT and a healthy Pods.

lumpyspun
05-18-2007, 08:45 PM
The Mariners are at .500 and have a really weak schedule coming up the next 3 weeks basically.
They really believe they have a shot at winning the AL West this year b/c of how poorly balanced it is.
Bill Bavasi and Hargrove are down to their last strikes and there is no way in hell they are trading Ichiro right now.

ondafarm
05-18-2007, 08:51 PM
How to fix this team?

Fire Ozzie and Walker.

Raxor Shines and ??

Blueprint1
05-18-2007, 08:55 PM
How to fix this team?

Fire Ozzie and Walker.

Raxor Shines and ??

We might be going a little overboard. Yet another reason to hate this series.

JB98
05-18-2007, 08:57 PM
We might be going a little overboard. Yet another reason to hate this series.

I hate this series too. There are a million reasons to hate it. Even after wins, I hate it. I hate having to deal with the Cubbie circus for three days. I like to ignore the Cubs. For these three days, I have no choice but to pay attention to them.

A. Cavatica
05-18-2007, 09:04 PM
My thoughts are we need a healthy JT and a healthy Pods.

And a healthy Frank Thomas, a healthy Luke Appling, and a healthy Joe Jackson.

JB98
05-18-2007, 09:06 PM
And a healthy Frank Thomas, a healthy Luke Appling, and a healthy Joe Jackson.

Well, yeah, that would be nice. But I think we have enough to win if we just get healthy and have guys start performing to their capabilities.

The calvary isn't coming. The players who are on the roster now need to step up.

downstairs
05-18-2007, 09:08 PM
How to fix this team?

Fire Ozzie and Walker.

Raxor Shines and ??

How many errors and blown saves did those dudes have this afternoon, exactly?

I must have missed something...

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I think we just need to relax and get Thome and Pods back in this lineup. While they alone can't do it, it will allow for non-regulars (especially Makowiak) to not have to keep on playing as much. I, however, really think they're all gonna get it together and clicking.

And, no, I did not drink any Kool Aid tonight...

Frontman
05-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Thome is back on Monday. I think when we get him, we have to see how the rest perform. If they stay on the same pace, then we can talk about changes. But I think this team went into "autopilot" when we had 3 guys out from the original plan for the 2007 team. We got Hall back. Granted, he's not at 100%, or at least seems that way. We'll get Thome back. Then, let's see how the team starts to work together. I think JD has come out of his slump, Paulie is not too far behind. I'm concerned about Crede.

Let's take the next two and not worry about the Flubbies.

Soxfest
05-18-2007, 09:12 PM
Mr. "I know more than you" has put together a very mediocre team and the bench may be the worst in years.:angry:

JB98
05-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I think we just need to relax and get Thome and Pods back in this lineup. While they alone can't do it, it will allow for non-regulars (especially Makowiak) to not have to keep on playing as much. I, however, really think they're all gonna get it together and clicking.

I agree. We just aren't going to win consistently when Mackowiak, Ozuna and Sweeney are all playing 4-5 times a week. We can get by with one of them in the lineup, but not two of them, or all of them.

Things are going to look much better come Monday when JT is in that No. 3 hole. We just have too many easy outs in our lineup right now.

MarySwiss
05-18-2007, 09:18 PM

:yup:

oeo
05-18-2007, 09:26 PM

Just having Thome's presence in the lineup can change things. No one is going to make trades this early in the season, anyway. Trading Crede and bringing up Fields (which I'm guessing is this guy's solution) is not going to make things any better.

RockJock07
05-18-2007, 09:28 PM
This isn't just because this is the Cubs series, this is because this team needs a kick in the pants. A healthy Pods would be nice, but over the past 2 seasons, he's been hurt, all the time. Thome is wearing down too.

I just think that Ichiro would he had for the right price. If kenny packaged some young talent together the M's would bite. I doubt that Ichiro is going to stay in Seattle after this season and would be stupid to let him walk after this season without getting some talent in return.

Seattle isn't going to win the west, because the Angels and A's will fight it out and the WC is coming from the Central so Seattle is keeping Ichrio around for.....?

Maybe trade Brian Andersen and a couple of pitchers. What about Carl Crawford? Word is from everyone around baseball that he and Rocco are to be had.

Unlike most of you, I think that this group is good, but isn't able to win a WS without some tinkering.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Maybe trade Brian Andersen and a couple of pitchers. What about Carl Crawford? Word is from everyone around baseball that he and Rocco are to be had.
They're probably gonna ask for either Garland or Danks (or maybe even BOTH) for Crawford. My thinking is that they already have Kazmir on that pitching staff, who would probably be a Cy Young candidate with any other team, and I'm sure they'd be looking to shape up their rotation.

JB98
05-18-2007, 09:32 PM
This isn't just because this is the Cubs series, this is because this team needs a kick in the pants. A healthy Pods would be nice, but over the past 2 seasons, he's been hurt, all the time. Thome is wearing down too.

I just think that Ichiro would he had for the right price. If kenny packaged some young talent together the M's would bite. I doubt that Ichiro is going to stay in Seattle after this season and would be stupid to let him walk after this season without getting some talent in return.

Seattle isn't going to win the west, because the Angels and A's will fight it out and the WC is coming from the Central so Seattle is keeping Ichrio around for.....?

Unlike most of you, I think that this group is good, but isn't able to win a WS without some tinkering.

Well, just maybe the Cubs are getting ready to give us the kick in the pants we need.

As far as Tampa Bay, the price for Crawford and Baldelli is likely to be ridiculous.

gobears1987
05-18-2007, 09:34 PM
The bullpen can be fixed internally. I think Haegar can be brought up. He looked really good out of the pen late last year. I know he sucked in Spring, but Arizona isn't the best place to evaluate a knuckleballer.

As for our offensive struggles, I think getting Thome back will improve things. Dye is looking to get hot and Thome should get hot. These guys feed off eachother. Things should work out.

If things are still looking bad in June, then we can go and made a deal. As of right now, I'm not too worried.

It's much easier to fill holes in a lineup through a trade than it is to get more pitching through a trade in the middle of the season.

oeo
05-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Well, just maybe the Cubs are getting ready to give us the kick in the pants we need.

As far as Tampa Bay, the price for Crawford and Baldelli is likely to be ridiculous.

Why would we want Baldelli anyway:
-He's having just as bad as season as every other guy in our lineup
-He's always hurt...as a matter of fact he's on the 15-day DL right now.
-He's basically a younger Pods with some power, who doesn't steal as many bases.

Baldelli is Rowand around here, except he did nothing to get respect from Sox fans.

CLR01
05-18-2007, 09:37 PM
The bullpen can be fixed internally. I think Haegar can be brought up. He looked really good out of the pen late last year. I know he sucked in Spring, but Arizona isn't the best place to evaluate a knuckleballer.

He's getting rocked in Charlotte too.

CLR01
05-18-2007, 09:38 PM
They're probably gonna ask for either Garland or Danks (or maybe even BOTH) for Crawford. My thinking is that they already have Kazmir on that pitching staff, who would probably be a Cy Young candidate with any other team, and I'm sure they'd be looking to shape up their rotation.

Luckily KW is smart enough to laugh and hang up.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Luckily KW is smart enough to laugh and hang up.
Definitely! We are lucky to have one of the smartest baseball minds running the show up there.

gobears1987
05-18-2007, 09:45 PM
He's getting rocked in Charlotte too. The park our AAA affiliate plays in is a joke. It's pretty much the Wrigley Field (in terms of dimensions) of the International League.

We've seen Haegar pitch in the majors and I was really impressed by what I saw.

Brian26
05-18-2007, 09:50 PM

Take this quote, replace any references to Ichiro with Griffey, replace any references to Seattle with Cincinnati, and what you will have is a perfect example of the knee-jerk reactions of many people around here in August 2005.

Ichiro is a hell of a player, don't get me wrong. I'd love to see him in a Sox uniform. However, anyone who has watched baseball for any length of time knows that one guy in the lineup can't win a championship.

Ichiro would be great, but, ultimately, Dye, PK, Crede, and Iguchi have to start hitting. Ichiro doesn't get to bat every inning.

goon
05-18-2007, 09:51 PM
the bullpen seems okay to me besides thornton's struggles earlier this season and macdougal getting killed lately. seems like a non-issue to me....

what this team has lacked is offense, no doubt about it, though this is a good offensive team, even though they are not showing it right now.

this team doesn't need to be "fixed" and this thread sucks.

Brian26
05-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Why would we want Baldelli anyway:
-He's having just as bad as season as every other guy in our lineup
-He's always hurt...as a matter of fact he's on the 15-day DL right now.
-He's basically a younger Pods with some power, who doesn't steal as many bases.

Baldelli's just awful so far this year, and he's already banged up again. He's not the answer at all.

CLR01
05-18-2007, 09:55 PM
The park our AAA affiliate plays in is a joke. It's pretty much the Wrigley Field (in terms of dimensions) of the International League.

And he has a 7.78 ERA on the road.

gobears1987
05-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Right now I can't advocate a trade. Improvement for our offense will come from the law of averages. We all know that Crede, Paulie, and JD can't suck forever. JD seems to be heating up. Thome coming back will hopefully help everyone else. Hall being in the lineup should help. It will also likely lead to AJ improving his average.

Our pen has been fairly strong, but the solution for their issues is most likely internal. We have enough young arms in the organization. We have Gio, Floyd, Broadway, and some other arms. Only two of them are likely to break in as starters. Perhaps one of them will succeed in a bullpen role. Afterall, most great relievers are failed starters.

oeo
05-18-2007, 09:56 PM
The park our AAA affiliate plays in is a joke. It's pretty much the Wrigley Field (in terms of dimensions) of the International League.

There's no need to test this unless someone gets hurt. The bullpen doesn't worry me. Individual guys have had their struggles, but for the most part they've been solid.

Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Aardsma are all fine. Masset has hit a rough spot, but this guy is like Danks...nothing phases him. The one guy I've been kind of worried about is Sisco, but I still think he will be a key down the stretch.

The offense is starting to come around. We've been getting guys on base, now we just need to knock them in. Dye is coming around, now if only PK and Crede could, with Thome coming back, I think we could be hitting well within the next week.

I think we'll be fine, the only thing is I wish this offense would start heating up soon (as in now). We can only tread water for so long before we're going to have to go on a hot streak.

gobears1987
05-18-2007, 10:01 PM
There's no need to test this unless someone gets hurt. The bullpen doesn't worry me. Individual guys have had their struggles, but for the most part they've been solid.
I'll agree with you. Sisco and MacDougal have looked bad, but hopefully you are right that these are temporary struggles.

Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Aardsma are all fine. Masset has hit a rough spot, but this guy is like Danks...nothing phases him. The one guy I've been kind of worried about is Sisco, but I still think he will be a key down the stretch.
I'd disagree with you on MacDougal looking fine, but he was fine last year so hopefully he will improve. I really like Masset and think he'd pitch better if he had more regular work. Unfortunately, middle relief seems to be a job based on failure. You are usually just used to eat up innings in a game that is already a lost cause.

The offense is starting to come around. We've been getting guys on base, now we just need to knock them in. Dye is coming around, now if only PK and Crede could, with Thome coming back, I think we could be hitting well within the next week.Agreed on all accounts. Our hitting woes will be solved without outside help when our guys start to do what they've each done their entire careers.

oeo
05-18-2007, 10:12 PM
I'd disagree with you on MacDougal looking fine, but he was fine last year so hopefully he will improve. I really like Masset and think he'd pitch better if he had more regular work. Unfortunately, middle relief seems to be a job based on failure. You are usually just used to eat up innings in a game that is already a lost cause.

I wasn't saying that MacDougal has looked fine, I said that they are all fine...we don't need to make changes. MacDougal is a vet, I'm not worried about him, he's fine. Thornton went through the same thing earlier in the season and people were freaking out about him, too. Now he's back to hitting the upper-90's and effective again.

gobears1987
05-18-2007, 11:15 PM
I wasn't saying that MacDougal has looked fine, I said that they are all fine...we don't need to make changes. MacDougal is a vet, I'm not worried about him, he's fine. Thornton went through the same thing earlier in the season and people were freaking out about him, too. Now he's back to hitting the upper-90's and effective again.
I agree that MacDougal will probably pull through with some help from Coop. If he doesn't, well we have options within the organization. We are just stacked with pitching. (Thank you Kenny!)

roadrunner
05-19-2007, 12:33 AM
I don't think that the Sox are going to be buyers in the trade market. If anything the team will look to deal for younger players this season and then look to sign some free agents next year (Andruw Jones?). Obviously, the hope is that the lineup turns it around and dealing players won't be necessary.

DSpivack
05-19-2007, 01:04 AM
20-18 hitting .220 doesn't seem that terrible to me, because they won't hit that low the whole season long. The offense will come around. Heck, at this time in 2005, I think Konerko and Dye were batting roughly the same they are now.

HawkDJ
05-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Mr. "I know more than you" has put together a very mediocre team and the bench may be the worst in years.:angry:

Perhaps because the bench is in the starting lineup. I would say Ozuna, Cintron, Hall, Sweeney, Mackowiak make for one of the best benches in years (in theory).

WhiteSox5187
05-19-2007, 01:40 AM
Jesus Christ, we just took two out of three from the Yankees and lost one game to the Cubs and now we're talking about "fixing" the team? Look, guys, the team isn't really THAT bad. Our starting pitching has been amazing, we've taken series from Minnesota, New York, KC, and Anahiem without Thome and essentially a B line up every day. Once we get Thome back, we're in good shape. The only thing that is unnerving about this is that MacDougal has looked shakey of late (but in Minnesota he was giving up seeing eye singles, today was just a bad outting) and Sisco just sucks. But this is not a team taht needs radical changes to it. The offense is going to come around. I think tommorrow we are going to see a very productive day offensively.

Frontman
05-19-2007, 07:06 AM
I think tommorrow we are going to see a very productive day offensively.

I sure hope so. This is a nationally televised broadcast. The Sox better not wet the bed today, and just crush the snot out of the Cubs like they should.

veeter
05-19-2007, 07:29 AM
The Sox are coming off four series wins in a row. They worked their way to only 3.5 games back, and haven't hit at all yet. I actually feel good about where we're at. Now, yesterday's loss was disturbing, but the Sox can still win this, God awful, publicity stunt series, and move on.

Bucky F. Dent
05-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Jesus Christ, we just took two out of three from the Yankees and lost one game to the Cubs and now we're talking about "fixing" the team? Look, guys, the team isn't really THAT bad. Our starting pitching has been amazing, we've taken series from Minnesota, New York, KC, and Anahiem without Thome and essentially a B line up every day. Once we get Thome back, we're in good shape. The only thing that is unnerving about this is that MacDougal has looked shakey of late (but in Minnesota he was giving up seeing eye singles, today was just a bad outting) and Sisco just sucks. But this is not a team taht needs radical changes to it. The offense is going to come around. I think tommorrow we are going to see a very productive day offensively.

I second that in its entirety.

We're winning series after series, and with the exception of MacDougall, our pitching has been strong.

Give the bats a chance to come back before you decide to blow up the team.

California Sox
05-19-2007, 11:59 AM
The one caution I'd give with MacDougal is he's had an entire year where he has sucked before and had to be sent to the minors. There's a reason KC stinks every year. Their players aren't very good. Taking two guys from one of the worst bullpens in recent memory and counting on Coop to fix them is risky. Hopefully they'll turn it around.

Now as far as the offense is concerned, you'd imagine they'll start scoring more once Thome is in the lineup. I'm not holding my breath for Pods. He's supposed to be out another month. The way Cleveland and Detroit are playing, we can't hit .220 for another month and expect to hang around. The key as far as I'm concerned is Paulie. He's such an emotional leader on the team. If he heats up, I bet you others like Crede will follow suit.

RockJock07
05-19-2007, 12:41 PM
All I'm saying by starting this thread is that this team by most standards is very solid, but in terms of winning this division and having a relaistic shot at the WS, some things need to be done in my opinion because of the play of Cleveland and Detroit. If KW waits to long, we are going to be to far out of it. we are 3.5 out now, but one bad week, and we could be 7-8 out.

2005 was a great year, but the major part of that was a very solid leadoff man. I think if you bring an estabilished one in, results would trickle down the lineup.

I agree that the bullpen can be fixed internally. I'm willing to give the line-up a bit more time, but i still feel that we need some sort of help.

jabrch
05-19-2007, 01:09 PM
I don't think KW is going to do anything soon. You don't overreact in May. Either you way overpay for anything, or you are only acquiring mediocre talent. Neither will benefit this team over the long term.

DickAllen72
05-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Miguel Tejada would look good playing 2B for the Sox about now. Too bad it isn't going to happen...just saying.

JermaineDye05
05-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Kenny doesn't need to fix the team, it's fine. Starters have been doing great, the bullpen has been good with a few hiccups every now and then which will end eventually. The offense has gotten on a slow start and we all know they'll show up, with their career numbers they will. I swear way too many people on this board are paranoid and pessimistic, it's almost annoying.

downstairs
05-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Fix what team? The one he runs has the 5th best record in the AL, is 3.5 games out of a playoff spot (and in 2nd place), all while dealing with its star hitter and leadoff man being out, all while being in the toughest division in baseball?

The only real "problem" we have is slumps. You don't replace someone in a slump. They'll snap out of it, you'll back off the ledge.

MarySwiss
05-19-2007, 01:57 PM
I sure hope so. This is a nationally televised broadcast. The Sox better not wet the bed today, and just crush the snot out of the Cubs like they should.

Well, it's only nationally televised to 23% of the nation, but that's another thread. :wink:

And as for the original question, as Oscar Madison said to Felix Unger (forgot the context), "Don't tinker!" :cool:

roadrunner
05-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Fix what team? The one he runs has the 5th best record in the AL, is 3.5 games out of a playoff spot (and in 2nd place), all while dealing with its star hitter and leadoff man being out, all while being in the toughest division in baseball?

The only real "problem" we have is slumps. You don't replace someone in a slump. They'll snap out of it, you'll back off the ledge.

I think the discussion is about fixing the team that is dead last in the major leagues in BA, SLG, OBP and runs scored (even behind NL teams). The one that has a 3.84 ERA and yet still has given up more runs than it has scored. The one that's in third place - for the second year in a row. The team that is only two games over .500. The team that is chasing playoff spots currently occupied by teams with .600 winning percentages. The team that is one losing streak from getting buried by the all star break.

I agree that there's still plenty of time but it's not like this is a great team right now and that there's nothing to worry about. I do, however, feel that it would not be prudent to trade away young talent for free agent to be type of players in order to help this year. If the team can't turn it around KW should focus on the long term.

jabrch
05-19-2007, 06:20 PM

Agreed. I think a big problem is that our fans have become a bunch of douchebags too - but that's a different story. Expecting the team to win is one thing - but criticizing absolutely everything about a team that really is pretty good overall, and is right in the thick of the division race and the wild card race is ridiculous.

Bottom line - IMHO, our fans have gotten worse since 2005.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Fix the team? Just need a doctor to cure the rectal-cranial inversion.

05-19-2007, 06:32 PM
DFA Boone Logan

chisoxmike
05-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Bullpen blows, blow it up.

SOXandILLINI
05-19-2007, 06:41 PM
you won't like my answer.

JB98
05-19-2007, 06:47 PM
DFA Boone Logan

It's hard to blame Boone. He's not a very good pitcher, we all know that. It's borderline insanity that he was placed in that situation.

TheQuestion
05-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Ozzie's only fault is being TOO loyal to his players. He leaves guys out there too long. Sometimes guys just don't have it on certain days, and thats ok. Pull him and try someone else. Not everyone has the mental toughness to "fight" through a bad outing.

And Boone Logan shouldn't be on this roster...he's a minor league talent at best. He was terrible last year, he'll continue to be terrible this year.

slowlearner
05-19-2007, 06:49 PM
This team fixes itself or it gets traded away. Kenny is not going to spend to make this team better. He'll see how they are at the AS break. If they're out of it, he starts stockpiling prospects. If they're still in it he leaves things alone. I just seriously doubt that he's going to go out and get any major pieces.

southsideirish71
05-19-2007, 06:59 PM
This team fixes itself or it gets traded away. Kenny is not going to spend to make this team better. He'll see how they are at the AS break. If they're out of it, he starts stockpiling prospects. If they're still in it he leaves things alone. I just seriously doubt that he's going to go out and get any major pieces.

This is an interesting few weeks ahead of us. If we bury yourself, then we start selling off talent. it will hurt us for a long time. The item that "I shall not speak of" that generates revenue will drop some if we white flag it. Less money for FA for next year.

Playoffs+good team= good revenue and you can keep it going.

Bad team+fire sale=KC Royals for a few years.

Unblyleven Bread
05-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Fire. And lots of it.

Chips
05-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Fire Ozzie, Hire Sweet Lou. :bandance:

Brian26
05-19-2007, 07:21 PM

KW has always said at Soxfest and in various interviews that he doesn't have the patience or the heart to go through a full-fledged rebuilding process. Ozzie's not the type of manager to deal with that situation either.

However, this is the only time in the past seven or eight years that I can remember such a large group of guys coming up on free agency within a year or two of each other.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately I don't think anything can be done at this point of the season and keep in mind something that Kenny himself said about a week ago in the papers.

It may be an indication of what takes place come July...that's the fact that in his opinion he doesn't think a lot of deals will get done because of the 'parity' in MLB.

Kenny feels that so many clubs will be thinking they have a shot that no one is going to want to make deals.

We'll see.

Lip

MySoxAreClean
05-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Let all be reasonable, Fire Ozzie and Hire Mike North right? This guy once told me," You win some and you lose some, But you live to see another day".FRiday The Movie
If people abandon ship in May let them, Those are the ones that probably jumped on late in 05.

chisoxfanatic
05-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Let all be reasonable, Fire Ozzie and Hire Mike North right? This guy once told me," You win some and you lose some, But you live to see another day".FRiday The Movie
If people abandon ship in May let them, Those are the ones that probably jumped on late in 05.
Screw Mike North! We need a REAL winner here...

I vote for Jay Mariotti as our next manager!!!

I don't need teal for something so clearly sarcastic. :tongue:

Jerko
05-19-2007, 08:39 PM
I still think the Sox have the players on the team now that can win now. How they are used, well, that's another story.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Kenny feels that so many clubs will be thinking they have a shot that no one is going to want to make deals.

You'd probably have a stroke if this happened, Lip, but such a market could allow KW to fetch a kings ransom for a player like Dye.

I think Buehrle must be re-signed; he's a cornerstone around whom the team should be built/re-loaded.

Early Win!
05-19-2007, 09:40 PM
How about digging a tunnel over to the Flubs dugout so they could pinch hit in Sox uniforms? Apparently those fools know how to hit a baseball.

Unblyleven Bread
05-19-2007, 10:35 PM
Why don't Sox pitchers dig a trench...and then the apple will be as low as they seem to wish it to be.

dickallen15
05-19-2007, 10:54 PM
How does KW fix this team? Take about half of them and try to convince other GMs the players are half as good as KW thought, get $.50 on the $ return for that, and he will improve the team.

spiffie
05-19-2007, 11:20 PM
How does Kenny fix this team? By pouring himself a drink and taking the phone off the hook. Then watch Thome come back. Then watch Pods come back. Then watch the rest of them start to heat up (6 runs today was a nice start to that). Then watch the Sox start to roll as the hitting catches up to the starting pitching. Then maybe at the deadline pick up one more solid bullpen arm. After that, wait to print World Series tickets. There, problem solved.

Now the question is what sort of drink should Kenny fix himself?

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Why don't Sox pitchers dig a trench...and then the apple will be as low as they seem to wish it to be.

Trench apples are illegal in this country.

WhiteSox5187
05-20-2007, 01:21 AM
I was just thinking about this, really the only spots that need improvement are the setup men in the bullpen and the outfield and the outfield is more or less a long term solution. I'm as pissed as anyone over these losses to the Cubs, but I don't think that they will break the season (unless we get swept, in which case I'm afraid this team could just roll over and die, but with our pitching, it would be hard to do)...it's hard to judge this team right now because you look at this team's hitting and think "there's just no way they can keep hitting like this." At some point, they will start hitting. Konerko isn't going to wind up .227 again like he did '03. Someone said this earlier, but really this team needs to fix itself. Who can you get that is an improvement? May is really going to seperate the contenders from the pretenders, and we're only half way through it and this really the first bad series we've had in May (I forget if Seattle was in May though) and we're only five back in the loss the column (5 1/2 all together)...there is still a lot of time to turn this thing around and if this team starts hitting, it CAN turn it around and if it starts hitting like it can and keeps pitching like this it WILL turn it around, guarentee. But it's hard to evaluate what we need to do based on one series. But so far the only thing I can say is that Sisco needs to go and I'm losing confidence in MacDougal and Logan.

Grzegorz
05-20-2007, 06:03 AM
How does Kenny fix this team? By pouring himself a drink and taking the phone off the hook. Then watch Thome come back. Then watch Pods come back. Then watch the rest of them start to heat up (6 runs today was a nice start to that). Then watch the Sox start to roll as the hitting catches up to the starting pitching. Then maybe at the deadline pick up one more solid bullpen arm. After that, wait to print World Series tickets. There, problem solved.

Why is Thome the magic bullet? Will just his presence in the lineup create the baseball equivalent of the Lazarus Effect on the rest of the team?

No, this is really wishful thinking.

spiffie
05-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Why is Thome the magic bullet? Will just his presence in the lineup create the baseball equivalent of the Lazarus Effect on the rest of the team?

No, this is really wishful thinking.
Notice I also said when Podsednik returns. Right now the two most crucial guys in the lineup are missing, our high-OBP guy and our leadoff guy who sets the table. When both of them return, and suddenly we stop playing Sweeney and Mackowiak and Ozuna on a daily basis, the lineup suddenly looks a lot healthier.

Lillian
05-20-2007, 08:13 AM
With all of the outstanding pitching the organization is getting at the minor league level, shouldn't we be able to find someone to take Sisco's place?
He seems to me like the weakest link in the bullpen.

Should they bring up another lefty, in that Sisco is a lefty, or just go with the best pitcher they have in the minors? It might be Gonzales, who happens to be a lefty.

Wouldn't it be advantageous to bring up someone who features more offspeed stuff? I love all of the power arms in our bullpen, but the staff might benefit from a little more variety. Everyone throwing in the mid 90's tends to minimize the effectiveness of that velocity.

How about Broadway, with his new two seem fastball?
A lot of us had big hopes for Haeger, but he hasn't done anything to merit a promotion.
Who else?

FedEx227
05-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Notice I also said when Podsednik returns. Right now the two most crucial guys in the lineup are missing, our high-OBP guy and our leadoff guy who sets the table. When both of them return, and suddenly we stop playing Sweeney and Mackowiak and Ozuna on a daily basis, the lineup suddenly looks a lot healthier.

Guys, if and when Pods comes back, he is not going to be anywhere near as effective as he had previously been. This is now two severe groin injuries in the past two years to a guy whose primary game relies on nothing but speed.

lumpyspun
05-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Guys, if and when Pods comes back, he is not going to be anywhere near as effective as he had previously been. This is now two severe groin injuries in the past two years to a guy whose primary game relies on nothing but speed.

Unfortunately, you are probably right. As a runner, I have seen running careers cut short by injuries like his. They just usually never heal right. You could be fine for 2 months running as good as ever and then just like that it goes out again.

Madvora
05-20-2007, 12:10 PM
You're probably right, which is why Ozzie already stated that he like Erstad in that lead off spot. I just hope he would come back and hit about .300 again. If he can just get on base consistently in the #2 spot or even later in the order, that would help a ton. We just need someone who can hit, hopefully it can be him.

roadrunner
05-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Wouldn't it be advantageous to bring up someone who features more offspeed stuff? I love all of the power arms in our bullpen, but the staff might benefit from a little more variety. Everyone throwing in the mid 90's tends to minimize the effectiveness of that velocity.

An absolutely excellent point. This would be a great question to ask Steve Stone on one of his shows on the Score.

MRM
05-20-2007, 08:55 PM

Thoughts?

First of all Seattle isn't going to take Crede and "a couple of AAA pitchers"
for Ichiro. As you stated, they already have Beltre at HUGE $$$. What do you propose they do with him? Bench him for a guy hitting .200 with a bad back in a contract year? Also, why do you want Ichiro without a contract extention?

"One of the Tampa Bay outfielders", to me, means Crawford or nobody. I have no use for Baldelli on this team. Now, if you can manage a deal to get Crawford, I'm all for it at virtually any cost.

MRM
05-20-2007, 09:05 PM
With all of the outstanding pitching the organization is getting at the minor league level, shouldn't we be able to find someone to take Sisco's place?

Should they bring up another lefty, in that Sisco is a lefty, or just go with the best pitcher they have in the minors? It might be Gonzales, who happens to be a lefty.

A lot of us had big hopes for Haeger, but he hasn't done anything to merit a promotion.
Who else?

I never advocate bringing up a starter to throw in the bullpen unless the guy is just ready and you have nowhere else to put him. And Sisco isn't a problem, he's just scuffling right now. We've seen the same complaints about Aardsma, Thornton, and Macdougal at various points this year. Power pitchers are going to struggle at times, fact of life.

As for the pitchers velocity, it doesn't minimize anything that they all throw mid-90s because they all throw with a different movement on the ball. Movement matters FAR more than velocity. On Haegar, IMO I NEVER want to see a knuckleballer doing ANYTHING other than start. They are far too risky to trust as relievers. Hoyt Wilhelm notwithstanding.

The pen is just fine, or will be. They are mostly young guys who need some time to gel.

Bucky F. Dent
05-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Not necessarily a Kenny fix, but someone needs to sit down with Konerko and get his head together. He had two horrible ABs today. His first AB he was bailing out of the box on inside strikes, His second or third AB he started walking to the dugout assuming that the pitch was a called third strike, and it was called a ball.

The guy just appears to be coming into every AB with zero confidence, and if that keeps up, we are in a world of hurt. Maybe having Thome behind him again will improve his outlook at the plate. I sure hope so.

MRM
05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Not necessarily a Kenny fix, but someone needs to sit down with Konerko and get his head together. He had two horrible ABs today. His first AB he was bailing out of the box on inside strikes, His second or third AB he started walking to the dugout assuming that the pitch was a called third strike, and it was called a ball.

The guy just appears to be coming into every AB with zero confidence, and if that keeps up, we are in a world of hurt. Maybe having Thome behind him again will improve his outlook at the plate. I sure hope so.

Behind him? Is Paulie moving up to 2nd in the order? :D:

Bucky F. Dent
05-20-2007, 09:42 PM
my bad. Regardless, Paulie's a mess, and I hope having Thome in the lineup does something to help.

UserNameBlank
05-20-2007, 09:44 PM

Who else?

If anyone will replace Sisco now it will be Logan. The Sox don't need 7 guys in the pen with the way the starters are pitching.

IMO, Sisco should be in Charlotte starting. I really want to see him work on that new arm angle he came up with and I think he could still become a very good SP with some more work. He was dominating before getting grabbed by the Royals.

We have Ehren Wassermann in Charlotte who is having a good year, and if Ozzie wants 3 lefties he'd be my choice. Otherwise Day is putting together a good year and Bukvich in Charlotte has a chance to be a solid reliever as well. He's another towering hard throwing right handed dude.

UserNameBlank
05-20-2007, 09:53 PM
I never advocate bringing up a starter to throw in the bullpen unless the guy is just ready and you have nowhere else to put him. And Sisco isn't a problem, he's just scuffling right now. We've seen the same complaints about Aardsma, Thornton, and Macdougal at various points this year. Power pitchers are going to struggle at times, fact of life.

As for the pitchers velocity, it doesn't minimize anything that they all throw mid-90s because they all throw with a different movement on the ball. Movement matters FAR more than velocity. On Haegar, IMO I NEVER want to see a knuckleballer doing ANYTHING other than start. They are far too risky to trust as relievers. Hoyt Wilhelm notwithstanding.

The pen is just fine, or will be. They are mostly young guys who need some time to gel.

I agree on Gio. He isn't coming up.

I super agree on Heager. A knuckleballer coming in as a reliever is a total nightmare for Sox fans. Walks, walks, walks, and more walks. Then turn those walks into doubles and triples from SB's, and then into runs from wild pitches and passed balls. No thank you, sir.

MRM
05-20-2007, 10:02 PM
my bad. Regardless, Paulie's a mess, and I hope having Thome in the lineup does something to help.

I knew what you meant, I was just messing around. What Thome does is get on base. THAT forces pitchers to pitch to Konerko. As it's been they could junk ball him and Paulie scuffling and trying to make something happen has been chasing pitches he normally won't chase, making the pitchers job easier, of course. I don't worry about Konerko at all. AJ and Dye are coming around quite well recently. Just a matter of time for Paulie.

robinohio2
05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Not to late to join the Cleveland fanbase.

JB98
05-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Not to late to join the Cleveland fanbase.

:dtroll:

soxwon
05-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Just let them play the games.
The talent is there and i see no reason to make any moves now.
I still anticipate them getting very hot and winning the Division.

jabrch
05-22-2007, 09:33 AM
Hey - lookie here - we have averaged 6 runs per game the past 6 games.

Looks like KW fixed this team?

Nothing needed fixing, as nothing is/was broken. Players just needed to play.