PDA

View Full Version : Which club will have the biggest improvement from last year?

HawkDJ
03-28-2002, 07:32 PM
On mlb.com.. The choices are the Sox, Expos, Marlins, Mets and Rangers.

link! (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/opening_day_2002/mlb_opening_day.jsp)

So far the results are:
39% Mets
33% Rangers
10% White Sox
09% Marlins
09% Expos

Soxheads
03-28-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
On mlb.com.. The choices are the Sox, Expos, Marlins, Mets and Rangers.

link! (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/opening_day_2002/mlb_opening_day.jsp)

So far the results are:
39% Mets
33% Rangers
10% Marlins
09% White Sox
09% Expos

I've found it's usually better to be the underdog.

Nellie_Fox
03-28-2002, 08:27 PM
More folks in New York, for one. People can't believe the Rangers spend that much money and are that bad, for another.

Dadawg_77
03-28-2002, 09:22 PM
Honestly, I think it will be the Mets. They made some great pick ups in the off season.

czalgosz
03-28-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Honestly, I think it will be the Mets. They made some great pick ups in the off season.

They certainly made a lot of sound and fury this offseason, but what does it signify? They went from having very good pitching and a terrible offense to the other way around. We'll see if that really effects things. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish third again. Same with the Rangers.

doublem23
03-28-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Same with the Rangers.

Well, when you're in the same division as the M's and A's, finishing third is actually an accomplishment.

Mathew
03-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Are the Rangers really better or just more expensive? I think any improvement Texas makes will be linked to the people they already had there.

Dadawg_77
03-29-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

They certainly made a lot of sound and fury this offseason, but what does it signify? They went from having very good pitching and a terrible offense to the other way around. We'll see if that really effects things. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish third again. Same with the Rangers.

The Mets staff is heads and shoulder above the Rangers. Lieter is the decent ace, Astacio should imporve now out of Coors, D'Amico has a very good shot at throwing like he did in 2000 , and Trachsel is stable vet for the fifth spot.
If the staff stays healthy they will win the NL East.

FarmerAndy
03-29-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77

The Mets staff is heads and shoulder above the Rangers. Lieter is the decent ace, Astacio should imporve now out of Coors, D'Amico has a very good shot at throwing like he did in 2000 , and Trachsel is stable vet for the fifth spot.
If the staff stays healthy they will win the NL East.

I'd have to say that the Marlins staff is alot more impressive. They also have some good young hitters too. They might suprise alot of people.

czalgosz
03-29-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

I'd have to say that the Marlins staff is alot more impressive. They also have some good young hitters too. They might suprise alot of people.

The Expos will finish last, that's about all I'm willing to say on the NL East. The Mets are rolling the dice on Astacio - it's a good gamble, because he's dominant if healthy, but his shoulder is an issue.

The Braves are still a very good team, and adding Sheffield improved them tremendously. And if the Marlins' young pitchers come through, they'll be very good, as well.

Mathew
03-29-2002, 02:34 PM
I must come to the rescue of my beloved Expos. How about that pitching staff? Armas will strike out 190 batters,Vasquez, and lest not forget the man who got traded for Pedro Martinez, Carl Pavano will come back strong. Unlike our organization theirs also teaches hitting very well. Gold glove Cabrera came to the team unable to hit and has improved vastly, also Vidro and Guerrero. If Tatis comes back healthy then the team can hit and pitch. Not a threat but I don't give them last place.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-29-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
I must come to the rescue of my beloved Expos. How about that pitching staff? Armas will strike out 190 batters,Vasquez, and lest not forget the man who got traded for Pedro Martinez, Carl Pavano will come back strong. Unlike our organization theirs also teaches hitting very well. Gold glove Cabrera came to the team unable to hit and has improved vastly, also Vidro and Guerrero. If Tatis comes back healthy then the team can hit and pitch. Not a threat but I don't give them last place.

I agree with you Mathew! The Expos shouldn't be overlooked! I think Frank Robinson and Co. will turn a few heads! Vladimir Guerrero is one of the best if not the best pure hitter in the game.

Daver
03-29-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

I agree with you Mathew! The Expos shouldn't be overlooked! I think Frank Robinson and Co. will turn a few heads! Vladimir Guerrero is one of the best if not the best pure hitter in the game.

Ever heard of a guy by the name of Frank Thomas?

He can swing a bat a little.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-29-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by daver

Ever heard of a guy by the name of Frank Thomas?

He can swing a bat a little.

Yeah he sounds familiar!! :D:
Let's hope he shows up this year!
If he does, you and I can share in celebrating a WS title! :gulp:

:walnuts
"I'm a good hitter too!

Daver
03-29-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

Yeah he sounds familiar!! :D:
Let's hope he shows up this year!
If he does, you and I can share in celebrating a WS title! :gulp:

:walnuts
"I'm a good hitter too!

This tells me he will. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=1&id=334)