PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley Field on Fridays?

Fenway
05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
It just occured to me that I can never recall the Flubs playing a night game at home on a Friday. Is that something the City of Chicago insisted on?

sox1970
05-18-2007, 04:06 PM
It just occured to me that I can never recall the Flubs playing a night game at home on a Friday. Is that something the City of Chicago insisted on?

yes.

Fenway
05-18-2007, 04:10 PM
yes.

Probably a good idea to keep Cubbie fans and the punkers going to the Metro apart.

Fenway is bad on Friday and Saturday nights as the biggest nightclubs in the city are right behind the bleachers. It isn't a good mix.

nug0hs
05-18-2007, 06:48 PM
fenway: this change was caused by the behavior of Cubs fans leaving the stadium. If a night game happened on Friday, people would start drinking when they get out of work until gametime (2-3 hrs) + the length of the game (2-3 hrs) then go to the bars after the game which would = complete disaster for the surrounding area (not that this doesnt happen during the weekanyway)

MarySwiss
05-18-2007, 08:22 PM
fenway: this change was caused by the behavior of Cubs fans leaving the stadium. If a night game happened on Friday, people would start drinking when they get out of work until gametime (2-3 hrs) + the length of the game (2-3 hrs) then go to the bars after the game which would = complete disaster for the surrounding area (not that this doesnt happen during the weekanyway)

Really? I always thought they did it so they could suck in the tourists.

ewokpelts
05-19-2007, 12:47 AM
part of the deal to have night games. and it was amended when the cubs got MORE night games. no friday game can start at 2:20 or later. and no saturday game to start past 3:05. sunday can only be a night game if espn wants it(and it has to be apporved by the city). no cubs/sox nights games AT ALL.

FedEx227
05-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Wait, Cubs fans drink?!

Nellie_Fox
05-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Probably a good idea to keep Cubbie fans and the punkers going to the Metro apart.I went to Cabaret Metro once. It was to see the closed-circuit fight between Marvin Hagler and John "the Beast" Mugabi. Seriously. This was before cable TV pay-per-view.
:hijacked: Sorry.

WhiteSox5187
05-19-2007, 01:50 AM
part of the deal to have night games. and it was amended when the cubs got MORE night games. no friday game can start at 2:20 or later. and no saturday game to start past 3:05. sunday can only be a night game if espn wants it(and it has to be apporved by the city). no cubs/sox nights games AT ALL.
Is that new? Wasn't the infamous July 4th game at night?

whitesoxfan
05-19-2007, 02:08 AM

Yes.

ewokpelts
05-19-2007, 03:19 AM

Yes.
yes. the deal was part of bleacher expansion/increased night games. the city took great exception to espn and mlb pulling a fast one.

PKalltheway
05-19-2007, 03:33 AM
I swear I remember Game 3 of the 2003 NLDS being a night game at Wrigley, and it was on a Friday.

EDIT: I was correct. This is possibly the only Friday night game in Wrigley Field history.
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2003/B10030CHN2003.htm

I suppose that if the Cubs are in the postseason, most, if not, all of their games will be at night.

ewokpelts
05-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I swear I remember Game 3 of the 2003 NLDS being a night game at Wrigley, and it was on a Friday.

EDIT: I was correct. This is possibly the only Friday night game in Wrigley Field history.
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2003/B10030CHN2003.htm

I suppose that if the Cubs are in the postseason, most, if not, all of their games will be at night.The Cubs are the ONLY team Fox preempts yankees playoff games at night.

Fenway
05-19-2007, 01:11 PM
no cubs/sox nights games AT ALL.

I assume the City of Chicago told the White Sox the same applies to them?

downstairs
05-19-2007, 01:23 PM

I believe the old Cubs/Sox night games just caused too many problems with people getting rowdy (or is that r-o-w-d-i-e?) so the city just said no. It has nothing to do with the issues Wrigley itself has in terms of normal night games.

chisoxfanatic
05-19-2007, 01:58 PM
After the Bill Simonson fiasco, yes.

areilly
05-19-2007, 02:02 PM
I believe the old Cubs/Sox night games just caused too many problems with people getting rowdy (or is that r-o-w-d-i-e?) so the city just said no. It has nothing to do with the issues Wrigley itself has in terms of normal night games.

That this city's greatest menace is a clash of its two baseball followings still makes me smile.

Fenway
05-19-2007, 02:03 PM
After the Bill Simonson fiasco, yes.

I see his career is going well as he is now a radio star in Grand Rapids :tongue:

Brian26
05-19-2007, 05:45 PM
I see his career is going well as he is now a radio star in Grand Rapids :tongue:

I hear he's huge there.

:duck:

chisoxfanatic
05-19-2007, 06:44 PM
I hear he's huge there.

:duck:

*throws a tomato*

chisoxfan79
05-20-2007, 01:52 AM
I think it was because of the Carlos lee walkoff HR game back in 2001 I was there that night there were fights everywhere you looked security was overwelmed that night, I saw a guy get tossed down the stairs, but besides the GAME in 04 that was the last night game betwen the 2

ewokpelts
05-20-2007, 03:20 AM
I assume the City of Chicago told the White Sox the same applies to them?the sunday game time is still TBA, so who knows. i know no friday night game for cubs/sox at the cell anymore.