PDA

View Full Version : Did Ozzie just swear on the Score?

Pages : [1] 2

IlliniSox
05-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Anybody listening, was that a bit? I think ozzie said '****' (poo)three times?

*my mistake.

CashMan
05-18-2007, 09:35 AM
3 times, he just hung up on Mike North.

sox1970
05-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Mike North and Ozzie just went at it.

Ozzie swore 3 times, North went off on him, and Ozzie hung up.

IlliniSox
This ain't good.

Mickster
Yes he did and it certainly was not a bit. Ozzie was pissed for being ripped on by North for starting Hall and AJ (who was on the score 1/2 hour earlier) being upset that he wasn't playing.

CLR01
05-18-2007, 09:39 AM
This ain't good.

If **** is all that he said then this is nothing. Don't evade the language filters.

TomBradley72
It must be Cubs/Sox weekend...let the games begin. :cool:

Palehose Pete
Wow. Just, wow. Was that all Ozzie was upset about? What did North say?

Mickster
Typical North, stirring up crap. Reminds me of Gunner Joe.

Mickster
05-18-2007, 09:40 AM

They will talk about it after the break. www.670thescore.com

Palehose Pete
05-18-2007, 09:41 AM
I can't get streaming audio at work. :mad:

jdm2662
05-18-2007, 09:42 AM
Yes he did and it certainly was not a bit. Ozzie was pissed for being ripped on by North for starting Hall and AJ (who was on the score 1/2 hour earlier) being upset that he wasn't playing.

Wasn't the whole point of signing Hall was to face lefties?

IlliniSox
05-18-2007, 09:43 AM

AJ flat out said he wanted to play today. North agreed, kept talking about it 5 minutes after AJ hung up with Bob Brenley, Ozzie called in, didn't know he was on the air (i guess), things escalated to say the least.

lumpyspun
05-18-2007, 09:46 AM
It appears their streaming is down right now.

I'm gonna write the FCC. :smile:

Palehose Pete
05-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Hopefully this somehow plays to the advantage of the White Sox and fires them up for the weekend? Still, it seems like the clubhouse dirty laundry is getting a public airing and that can't be good.

Jerko
05-18-2007, 09:47 AM
C'mon Ozzie let's not lower ourselves to fighting with the ****in media. Stone-gate anyone? Who cares what these people say? Quit being a baby.

SBSoxFan
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM
AJ wants to play. Good. He'll play the next two days. Ozzie's starting a righty against a LH pitcher. Good. Nothing to see here.

champagne030
05-18-2007, 09:52 AM
It appears their streaming is down right now.

I'm gonna write the FCC. :smile:

It's been working for me.

sox1970
05-18-2007, 09:57 AM
North is going to play this up bigtime, unfortunately.

Ozzie needs to chill when he's on live radio. Dummy.

Mickster
05-18-2007, 10:00 AM
AJ needs to stop whining. He has started in 29 of the first 37 games and has played in all but 1 game this year. I guess he expected to play in 161 games this year. :rolleyes:

mrfourni
:moron
Observes quietly

MCHSoxFan
That was crazy!!! I could not belive what I just heard. One of the worst things about it was that it was live at a bar by Wrigley, so, all of the Cubs fans were laughing. :angry:

LET'S GET EM BACK BY A SWEEEP!!!

Palehose Pete
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I bet that AJ is really looking forward to coming to the park today.

roadrunner
05-18-2007, 10:03 AM
1. Hall should be in the lineup. Good move by Ozzie getting him in the lineup to face a tough lefty and to see what he's got.

2. AJ was wrong to question Ozzie's lineup in public.

3. Ozzie sounded like a fool for swearing on the radio.

4. That's what they get for dealing with Mike North in the first place.

IlliniSox
05-18-2007, 10:08 AM
1. Hall should be in the lineup. Good move by Ozzie getting him in the lineup to face a tough lefty and to see what he's got.

2. AJ was wrong to question Ozzie's lineup in public.

3. Ozzie sounded like a fool for swearing on the radio.

4. That's what they get for dealing with Mike North in the first place.

Agreed on all points.

Dan Mega
05-18-2007, 10:23 AM
So basically AJ said he wanted to play, and then Ozzie and North got into an argument.

Where is the news here?

jenn2080
05-18-2007, 10:30 AM
So basically AJ said he wanted to play, and then Ozzie and North got into an argument.

Where is the news here?

Agreed. If all AJ said was that he wanted to play well big deal. I am sure everyone on the team wants to play today.

IlliniSox
05-18-2007, 10:35 AM

Where is the news here?

The F-bomb on the air by the manager on the shortest of leashes, that's news.

Mickster
05-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Agreed. If all AJ said was that he wanted to play well big deal. I am sure everyone on the team wants to play today.

AJ said "nobody came to me and asked me if I needed a day off"

Maybe Ozzie had a problem with AJ's comments and took it out on North.

Mickster
05-18-2007, 10:36 AM

Ozzie is on the shortest of leashes? :?:

Grobber33
05-18-2007, 10:39 AM
The first time Ozzie cussed on the air was in 1985 when I was in Ft.Lauderdale with Dahl & Meier for Spring Training.The Sox were about to play the Yankees. About 2 hours before the game,Steve and Garry were upstairs in a booth and I was on the field with a new technology,known as a 'wireless mic'. Steve asked me to get a hispanic player to come on and I mentioned that 'Rookie' Ozzie Guillen was close by. He said to get him. I cautioned him that Ozzie spoke no english(which back then he DIDN'T). Steve's response was 'perfect!'. So I walked over to Ozzie with a live mic and said "Ozzie,,, el radio en el ciudad de Chicago". He laughed and took the mic,not knowing what it was. He thought it was a toy,and uttered 'Si,F--- YOU, F--- YOU, F--- YOU!' Of course Steve got a kick out of that. Ozzie walked away. Oh, and we were NOT in delay during that segment for some reason! I was then chatting with Greg Walker a few minutes later and Luis Salazar(who speaks perfect english),dragged Ozzie over to me(by the shirt collar)and said 'He wants to apologize'. No doubt Salazar explained to Ozzie what the wireless was. And for mabey the only time in the 22 years I've known Ozzie,,he was red as a beet!
It was a riot,,and the rest is history!!!

palehozenychicty
05-18-2007, 10:40 AM

:?:

itsnotrequired
05-18-2007, 10:40 AM
AJ said "nobody came to me and asked me if I needed a day off"

Maybe Ozzie had a problem with AJ's comments and took it out on North.

Absolutely Ozzie has a problem with what AJ said. AJ is in the wrong for discussing playing time/lineup issues on the air.

Unless the whole thing is a setup...

Palehose Pete
05-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Imagine what life would be like if North took over play calling duties in the booth after Rooney went to the Cards.

Yikes.

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2007, 10:43 AM
I heard the latter half of the argument when Boers & Bernstein replayed it. After Ozzie swears on the radio, North sounds more like Ozzie's mother yelling at him to talk to him "respectfully." Meanwhile...

:KW
*:rolleyes:*

Pierzynski should have known better than to express misgivings on the air over not starting the game, even though he said Ozzie makes the lineup and has the right to do so. North is at fault for egging AJ on and for latter exaggerating on the air what Pierzynski said. And after working in the United States for 22 years now, Ozzie should know better than to use the FCC's seven dirty words on the air. North was actually right to urge Guillen to stop using that language.

SBSoxFan
05-18-2007, 10:49 AM
The first time Ozzie cussed on the air was in 1985 when I was in Ft.Lauderdale with Dahl & Meier for Spring Training.The Sox were about to play the Yankees. About 2 hours before the game,Steve and Garry were upstairs in a booth and I was on the field with a new technology,known as a 'wireless mic'. Steve asked me to get a hispanic player to come on and I mentioned that 'Rookie' Ozzie Guillen was close by. He said to get him. I cautioned him that Ozzie spoke no english(which back then he DIDN'T). Steve's response was 'perfect!'. So I walked over to Ozzie with a live mic and said "Ozzie,,, el radio en el ciudad de Chicago". He laughed and took the mic,not knowing what it was. He thought it was a toy,and uttered 'Si,F--- YOU, F--- YOU, F--- YOU!' Of course Steve got a kick out of that. Ozzie walked away. Oh, and we were NOT in delay during that segment for some reason! I was then chatting with Greg Walker a few minutes later and Luis Salazar(who speaks perfect english),dragged Ozzie over to me(by the shirt collar)and said 'He wants to apologize'. No doubt Salazar explained to Ozzie what the wireless was. And for mabey the only time in the 22 years I've known Ozzie,,he was red as a beet!
It was a riot,,and the rest is history!!!

Why weren't they in a delay today?

palehozenychicty
05-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I heard the latter half of the argument when Boers & Bernstein replayed it. After Ozzie swears on the radio, North sounds more like Ozzie's mother yelling at him to talk to him "respectfully." Meanwhile...

:KW
*:rolleyes:*

Pierzynski should have known better than to express misgivings on the air over not starting the game, even though he said Ozzie makes the lineup and has the right to do so. North is at fault for egging AJ on and for latter exaggerating on the air what Pierzynski said. And after working in the United States for 22 years now, Ozzie should know better than to use the FCC's seven dirty words on the air. North was actually right to urge Guillen to stop using that language.

Exactly. Keep it in the clubhouse, and AJ needs to relax, as he's doing nothing special at the plate and has played a lot of games.

Grobber33
05-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Why weren't they in a delay today?

GOOD QUESTION! But that's the Score & CBS's problem! Not a problem of mine(nor has it been for almost 6 years!).
Frankly,I hope the Suits at CBS are squirmming!!!

SBSoxFan
05-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Ozzie should know better than to use the FCC's seven dirty words on the air. North was actually right to urge Guillen to stop using that language.

Who's the FCC gonna come down on? Ozzie? No, I would think it would be the score and North.

North is a self-professed Sox fan, and I think he does this kind of stuff on purpose to avoid being labeled a White Sox apologist, or as ammo for rebuttle if he is. Whatever. He's lost a part time listener.

BanditJimmy
05-18-2007, 10:54 AM

North was in his right. It's his show and Ozzie was the one who called in. What would you do if someone younger than you blasted you w/ F-bombs on live radio?

It's about time someone puts Ozzie in his place, he is here to manage a baseball team and not talk to people as if he was a dictator of some Communist country.

Best thing Ozzie could've have done is keep his mouth shut and not call in. Take it up with AJ behind close doors.

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Who's the FCC gonna come down on? Ozzie? No, I would think it would be the score and North.

North is a self-professed Sox fan, and I think he does this kind of stuff on purpose to avoid being labeled a White Sox apologist, or as ammo for rebuttle if he is. Whatever. He's lost a part time listener.

Question for the WSI Legal Eagles: If the FCC fines CBS Radio for what Ozzie said, could CBS Radio seek restitution from Guillen as a result?

HotelWhiteSox
05-18-2007, 10:58 AM
This sounds more like AJ needing to stop being a whiny little bitch rather than anything Ozzie did wrong. He did it when we signed Hall, and now he's doing it again

HotelWhiteSox
05-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Question for the WSI Legal Eagles: If the FCC fines CBS Radio for what Ozzie said, could CBS Radio seek restitution from Guillen as a result?

Don't they have a delay button? I would guess it's on them

CHISOXFAN13
05-18-2007, 11:03 AM
North was in his right. It's his show and Ozzie was the one who called in. What would you do if someone younger than you blasted you w/ F-bombs on live radio?

It's about time someone puts Ozzie in his place, he is here to manage a baseball team and not talk to people as if he was a dictator of some Communist country.

Best thing Ozzie could've have done is keep his mouth shut and not call in. Take it up with AJ behind close doors.

Wrong. North made the AJ thing out to be more than it was after AJ hung up, which prompted the call.

North's a ****ing *******, and it's obvious why his ratings continue to plummet.

Jaffar
05-18-2007, 11:04 AM
How come after Ozzie swore the first time they didn't drop Ozzies call or put him on hold? I'm curious about why they were not on delay either, they were in a public place and take phone calls....how can that be live when it's Sox/cubs? This just seems like more Mike North crap to get publicity for himself, unfortunately for him this one may come back to bite him a bit.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Wrong. North made the AJ thing out to be more than it was after AJ hung up, which prompted the call.

North's a ****ing *******, and it's obvious why his ratings continue to plummet.

Plummet? I thought I saw a post here where MSNBC was looking at him to replace Imus. Surely you jest.

He started this bag of **** this morning when he said Ozzie doesn't know how to manage a lineup, and that Toby Hall will probably get hurt by playing today. He's a bona fide bandwagon jumping *******. I wouldn't be surprised that AJ has already talked to Ozzie and this matter is over and done with in the Sox clubhouse.

Chez
05-18-2007, 11:07 AM

In a word, nope. Did the network seek contribution or indemnity or restitution from Janet Jackson or Justin Timberlake for Janet's Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction? No. There's simply no legal basis which would support such an effort.

peeonwrigley

I haven't heard the incident, but I'd imagine they could have used the dump button, and hung up on Ozzie. They didn't because they decided it was compelling radio. Any trouble they get into is on them.

IlliniSox
Ozzie is on the shortest of leashes? :?:

Every time Ozzie, a smart individual by most accounts, opens his mouth and says something ridiculously moronic, its another day Kenny Williams has to spend defending the moron. Its adding up. Act like a 40-something Ozzie.

Viva Medias B's
Having just heard the beginning of the interview, I would discipline Guillen in some way if I were Williams. Regardless of how much North may have been in the wrong (and he was deeply), you don't say "Shut the [bleep] up!" when he introduces him on the air.

Lillian
05-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Isn't it more likely that all of this is a publicity stunt? Even that punch from Barrett last year looked suspiciously like a product of A.J.'s involvement with pro wrestling.

Maybe they are all just trying to hype this silly rivalry. Not that it needs anymore hype! I just heard parts of it replayed on the radio, and it just sounds a little contrived.
Why would Ozzie even be listening to the Score?
I'll bet A.J. put Ozzie up to it, and it's all staged. 'Gees', it might as well be pro wrestling.

BanditJimmy
05-18-2007, 11:08 AM

WRONG

Regardless of all of the above, and I'm no Mike North fan either, NO ONE has the right to call in on a radio show and act like a 5 year old as Ozzie did.

Ozzie is the manager of a profesional baseball team in the third largest market in this country, you just can't act that way in public.

As much as we want to be Ozzie fans and act like he can't do no wrong, he was way out line on this. Keep your mouth shut and manage the team Ozzie, stop listening to sports radio and stop reading the damn papers.

champagne030
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
This sounds more like AJ needing to stop being a whiny little bitch rather than anything Ozzie did wrong. He did it when we signed Hall, and now he's doing it again

:rolleyes:

Should AJ have aired his feelings in private to Ozzie? Yes.

Ozzie spewing expletives on live radio is most definitely wrong.

DeadMoney
05-18-2007, 11:12 AM
The weird thing is, this is from Reifert's blog (posted pre-game yesterday):
"Toby Hall is back with the club today (Gustavo Molina was sent down late last night after the second game) and Ozzie said he is likely to start tomorrow."

AJ, in all liklihood, knew when he left the ballpark yesterday that he would not be starting today. But when Mike North asked AJ about what seems a VERY touchy subject with AJ, AJ gave the answer that any 'gamer' would give. Then, North seems to have made this into more then it was UNTIL Ozzie called in with his yelling at North. Now, North has a MUCH BIGGER story to run with, but at the same time he made it into what it was. (At least Ozzie didn't call him a you-know-what; see Mariotti, June '06)

To me, it's 'same old' with Ozzie - I guess it's that time of year again. I just wish he would learn to be a little less protective [in the media] of himself and his team (At the same time though, it also isn't a bad thing to be protecting your players - as long as it's done in a civil, non-controversial way).

CHISOXFAN13
05-18-2007, 11:12 AM
WRONG

Regardless of all of the above, and I'm no Mike North fan either, NO ONE has the right to call in on a radio show and act like a 5 year old as Ozzie did.

Ozzie is the manager of a profesional baseball team in the third largest market in this country, you just can't act that way in public.

As much as we want to be Ozzie fans and act like he can't do no wrong, he was way out line on this. Keep your mouth shut and manage the team Ozzie, stop listening to sports radio and stop reading the damn papers.

I didn't say Ozzie wasn't in the wrong. But North started the whole bull**** call by turning the AJ stuff into more than it is. Every player wants to play, especially in a series like this, so I have no problem with AJ wanting to be out there.

North needed to let it go, but he loves to stir the pot. They are both in the wrong here.

itsnotrequired
05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Isn't it more likely that all of this is a publicity stunt? Even that punch from Barrett last year looked suspiciously like a product of A.J.'s involvement with pro wrestling.

Maybe they are all just trying to hype this silly rivalry. Not that it needs anymore hype! I just heard parts of it replayed on the radio, and it just sounds a little contrived.
Why would Ozzie even be listening to the Score?
I'll bet A.J. put Ozzie up to it, and it's all staged. 'Gees', it might as well be pro wrestling.

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Both the Ozzie-North exchange and the AJ interview are up on the Score website (http://www.670thescore.com/).

PaulDrake
05-18-2007, 11:25 AM
WRONG

As much as we want to be Ozzie fans and act like he can't do no wrong, he was way out line on this. Keep your mouth shut and manage the team Ozzie, stop listening to sports radio and stop reading the damn papers. I agree with everthing you said, except I think he was acting more like a 2 year old. That was very depressing. He's lucky I'm not his boss.

Lillian
05-18-2007, 11:29 AM

I understand that it might be a stretch to think that A.J. would cook up that whole fight scene with Barrett, but it all just seemed so staged.
Remember that the morning of that game, Barrett talked about the Cubs perhaps needing something like a fight to get them fired up, and back on track. Doesn't it seem odd that he talked about it before it happened?
Who knows? But it just seems so contrived.

maurice
05-18-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't think it's a set up, because exactly none of this is surprising:

North will do anything to draw attention to his show and up the ratings. His most successful device is the interview. For example, yesterday he got Farnsworth to criticize Clemens' sweetheart arrangement with the Yankees . . . then the Score promoted the interview for the following 24 hours. This is just typical North.

AJ has expressed concern about his playing time this year since Hall was signed, saying just about the same things that he said today. Now that Hall has been called up, it's in his mind again. AJ is a very frank person who often speaks his mind to the media. This is just typical AJ.

Ozzie always has been sensitive to criticism of his lineups. One of his best known catchphrases is "I make the ****ing lineup." He got into it a bit with AJ shortly after Hall was signed (see above) and recently was quoted as saying that AJ says stupid things all the time. Ozzie also is known for being frank and speaking his mind to the media. Included in this is a tendency to swear in front of or at members of the media. This is just typical Ozzie.

maurice
05-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Remember that the morning of that game, Barrett talked about the Cubs perhaps needing something like a fight to get them fired up, and back on track. Doesn't it seem odd that he talked about it before it happened?

That just means that Barrett is really stupid. I never thought that AJ was in on it. How would they know that they would be involved in a play at the plate? Why would they agree to something that got them both suspended?

HotelWhiteSox
Hearing it, it sounds like Ozzie didn't think it was on the air

I find it hilarious how all of a sudden Mike North is all about respect, I can get a 10 page list on incidents and quotes that contradicts that, **** him, I applaud Ozzie. Crying about 'I'm not going to lose my job for you', sorry, that's you and your producer's responsibility.

If I'm Kenny Williams this is a nonissue for me. Plus I don't see how Mr. 'come knock on my ****ing door' could talk

DeadMoney
Mike North probably deserves to be punished for that. The Score, in their replays (which is all I've heard so far), certainly didn't play the portion of North yelling at Ozzie. Ozzie didn't even say that much past, "Shut the **** up." That's not even bad! He didn't say anything else though, because North wouldn't let him say anything. Ozzie even went to the point of saying, "you're a good friend of mine." Wow, was North out of control though.

PaulDrake
05-18-2007, 11:34 AM
This is just typical Ozzie. I may be alone here, but typical Ozzie behavior has grown very tiresome. That reminded me of a little child throwing a hissy fit.

lumpyspun
05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Both the Ozzie-North exchange and the AJ interview are up on the Score website (http://www.670thescore.com/).

I find it funny that they have that up on the website. I also find it funny that North says at the end, "I'm not going to lose my job over him," referring to Ozzie cursing on the air.

The FCC makes it really easy to place a complaint online over indecency and I plan on doing at least 4 or 5 complaints today. I'm not offended or think it's indecent, I just think it's great that I can file a complaint in about two seconds and get North in trouble.

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
I agree with everthing you said, except I think he was acting more like a 2 year old. That was very depressing. He's lucky I'm not his boss.

If a 2 year old drops words like that, something is wrong with that child's parents.

Madvora
05-18-2007, 11:39 AM
What would an argument between the Sox annoucer and a radio host have to do with hyping a baseball series? Wouldn't there have to be an argument between someone on the Sox and someone on the Cubs or something?

I never heard the interview, but like you said, "Not that it needs anymore hype." So why would they bother to make something like this up?
This series is big enough, I don't see how arguing on the radio has anything to do with it.

Fenway
05-18-2007, 11:40 AM
geeze the guys at WEEI are praising Mike North for the way he blasted Ozzie

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2007, 11:41 AM
For those of you who heard it live as it happened, did Ozzie's swear words indeed make it on the air? I find it hard to believe a talk radio station, especially a sports talk radio station doing a remote from a bar, would fail to have its seven second delay system running. If that indeed was the case, heads (probably production ones behind the scenes) could and should roll at the Score.

jenn2080
05-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I dont think that what AJ was saying was really directed toward Ozzie as it was towards all the media saying he needs a rest. North was fueling the fire. Mike North didnt even give Ozzie a chance to say ok sorry I will clean my language up before he started going off on his rant. Mike North is a ****ing *******.

DumpJerry
05-18-2007, 11:50 AM
I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if this was already stated, but I heard the coverage on The Score about an hour after it went down.

I think the whole thing was contrived by AJ and Ozzie. AJ was recently complaining that he has a hard time finding a bar on the north side with Sox stuff in the windows despite 2005 and Ozzie always has an attitude about the Cub-centric media here. Both of these guys know that if Buehrle throws a perfect game and win 18-0, the media will still talk about the Cubs more than the Sox. This guarantees some Sox coverage.

Lillian
05-18-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry, but I am just skeptical about the whole thing. If you listen to the special coverage on the Score, they have been talking about it a lot, and it all sounds so phony. Who knows exactly who would have set this up, and how they worked it all out, but it just smacks of a stunt.

tebman
05-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I find it hard to believe a talk radio station, especially a sports talk radio station doing a remote from a bar, would fail to have its seven second delay system running. If that indeed was the case, heads (probably production ones behind the scenes) could and should roll at the Score.
That had to be screwup among the production staff. The station is looking at potentially huge fines if there are complaints and if the FCC follows through on them. After the Janet Jackson hoo-hah a couple of years ago, Congress passed a bill mandating enormous fines for these kinds of things. The wisdom of those rules can be debated, but for the moment radio and TV stations are stuck with them and they're fools to risk those kinds of fines by running without a delay or without somebody paying attention to the dump button.

Having said all that, Ozzie should focus on today's game. He was foolish to take North's bait and out of line for talking like that on the radio.

05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
How does Mike North get off talking to Ozzie like that? IMO Ozzie didn't overreact at all.

CLR01
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Mike North probably deserves to be punished for that. The Score, in their replays (which is all I've heard so far), certainly didn't play the portion of North yelling at Ozzie. Ozzie didn't even say that much past, "Shut the **** up." That's not even bad! He didn't say anything else though, because North wouldn't let him say anything. Ozzie even went to the point of saying, "you're a good friend of mine." Wow, was North out of control though.

North deserves to be punished for what? If the f-bombs, ****s, the goddamns and whatever other words came flying out of Ozzies mouth are considered "not that bad" then what did North say that he deserves to be punished for?

HotelWhiteSox
05-18-2007, 11:54 AM
I would put money on Ozzie asking to talk to North off the air, and then being put on the air. It just sounds like a personal conversation, I don't think Ozzie is dumb enough to take that tone on the air, and then his tone changes in the middle of the call, and that's when I think he realizes he was just on the radio

gosiu
05-18-2007, 11:55 AM
How does Mike North get off talking to Ozzie like that? IMO Ozzie didn't overreact at all.
North: Hey Ozzie, how are ya doing?
Ozzie: Shut the **** up.

No comment about the rest of the interview, but how can you say that wasn't overreacting?

WizardsofOzzie
In other news I heard there was a baseball game today or something :redneck

jenn2080

I partially agree only because Ozzie was trying to say ok when North told him the 2nd time to stop swearing. North went off like like look at me Im a tough guy. North had a right to tell Ozzie to shut up, but he overreacted quite a bit.

gosiu
05-18-2007, 11:56 AM
I would put money on Ozzie asking to talk to North off the air, and then being put on the air. It just sounds like a personal conversation, I don't think Ozzie is dumb enough to take that tone on the air, and then his tone changes in the middle of the call, and that's when I think he realizes he was just on the radio
When you're on hold for a radio station, don't you hear what's being said live on the air? North wouldn't be saying what he said ("We're here at whatever with Brenley", etc) if he was off the air.

DeadMoney
05-18-2007, 11:58 AM
North deserves to be punished for what? If the f-bombs, ****s, the goddamns and whatever other words came flying out of Ozzies mouth are considered "not that bad" then what did North say that he deserves to be punished for?

Alright, point taken. My only thought was that he lost control of himself essentially making himself sound like an idiot when he was yelling at Ozzie. For a well known radio host in a major city, I would think that the Score wouldn't want him to lose control like he did and start yelling at a caller/guest (because that IS what Ozzie was). That's all I was thinking.

TomBradley72
05-18-2007, 12:03 PM

CLR01
05-18-2007, 12:04 PM
My only thought was that he lost control of himself essentially making himself sound like an idiot when he was yelling at Ozzie. For a well known radio host in a major city, I would think that the Score wouldn't want him to lose control like he did and start yelling at a caller/guest (because that IS what Ozzie was). That's all I was thinking.

I agree. IMO they both were acting like idiots.*

*cue the Ozzie is a god who does no wrong crowd to tell me I am bad Sox fan for criticizing Ozzie.

champagne030
05-18-2007, 12:06 PM

:ozzie

No, no, you misunderstand me. Back in Venezuela, shut the **** up means how you doin'.

INSox56
05-18-2007, 12:06 PM
**** Mike North. Who the hell is he anyway. I like how he went from cordial to acting like he was offended and pissed off. Then chiding him like a little kid. IMHO, he's much worse than Windsock.

jdm2662
05-18-2007, 12:07 PM
I agree. IMO they both were acting like idiots.*

*cue the Ozzie is a god who does no wrong crowd to tell me I am bad Sox fan for criticizing Ozzie.

What, Ozzie is a god and can do no wrong. How can you rip on our beloved manager that brought us a World Series! :tongue:

North is a moron, but so is Ozzie for falling for North's bs. That's pretty much all I can add.

Jaffar
05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm still sticking with Ozzie calling North "personally" since they are "friends" and North put him on the air because after Ozzie gets going doesn't North say something about we are on the air here? I could be wrong but it sounded like that to me. I think Mike North took advantage of Ozzie calling in and it is biting him in the ass right now although he is getting a lot of attention.

daveeym
05-18-2007, 12:22 PM
North will do anything to draw attention to his show and up the ratings. His most successful device is the interview. For example, yesterday he got Farnsworth to criticize Clemens' sweetheart arrangement with the Yankees . . . then the Score promoted the interview for the following 24 hours. This is just typical North. And how. This morning he was going off how nobody local is making a big deal about this and how his gopher was faxing off the quote to about 60 news outlets nationwide. He basically went on to say how he's there to make news and the rest of the chicago media better get on board and when one of the radio shows breaks some "news" to run with it and push it. Pretty much he was saying the only way to make news was to be controversial.

donkeylips
05-18-2007, 12:24 PM
When you call in to a radio station and put on the air you hear a very audible "static" buzz for a second or two. He would have heard that and known for sure.

I'm still sticking with Ozzie calling North "personally" since they are "friends" and North put him on the air because after Ozzie gets going doesn't North say something about we are on the air here? I could be wrong but it sounded like that to me. I think Mike North took advantage of Ozzie calling in and it is biting him in the ass right now although he is getting a lot of attention.

Mickster
05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
KW on the air right now with B&B.

INSox56
05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
When you call in to a radio station and put on the air you hear a very audible "static" buzz for a second or two. He would have heard that and known for sure.Uhh...I've called into a couple different stations and I've never heard that.

hawkjt
05-18-2007, 12:32 PM
much ado about nothin.. same ole story, struggling ratings starved goof like north stirs the pot, gets ozzie to call in and make north famous for a day..

I hate this gotcha type of radio.. now it will be played on ESPN ect.. and be made into something it is not.. windsock is pulling his standard ''ozzie is a madman'' column out of the dustbin.. the Score is pumping the hell out of this non-story..

Kenny was very calm about it, rightfully so... just win sox..

gosiu
05-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Maybe it has something to do with this:
mj50-Iy2GCk

donkeylips
05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Were you actually on the air? Everytime i've called in to a live show I hear a short static pulse when they switch me on. It is a little jarring to the senses... i've know other people who have heard it too. Maybe it is not universal? I thought it was a feature of whatever system they use.

Uhh...I've called into a couple different stations and I've never heard that.

Jaffar
05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
It still doesn't excuse the Score for not being on a delay or dropping Ozzies call.

oeo
05-18-2007, 12:38 PM
This is funny. I love you Ozzman.

PKalltheway
05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
I find it hilarious how all of a sudden Mike North is all about respect, I can get a 10 page list on incidents and quotes that contradicts that, **** him, I applaud Ozzie. Crying about 'I'm not going to lose my job for you', sorry, that's you and your producer's responsibility.

If I'm Kenny Williams this is a nonissue for me. Plus I don't see how Mr. 'come knock on my ****ing door' could talk
Haha, I agree with you on that one. Geez, it isn't the end of mankind as we know it if Ozzie cusses over the air. Relax. He didn't say any sort of homophobic slurs like he did last summer, which was really stupid.

I haven't even heard the audio clip yet, but I can probably already tell you that this was probably much milder than when he went off on Mags during the '04-'05 offseason. Let's just chill out.

Hey Sox, let's kick the Cubs' ass today!

IowaSox1971
05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
North and the station are acting unprofessionally. To begin with, North was putting words into A.J.'s mouth. Is A.J. supposed to say that he doesn't want to play? A.J. said during the interview that Ozzie's the manager and nothing against Toby, but that he wants to play and doesn't need a day off. I don't see anything controversial in that. But North treats A.J.'s statement like there's mutiny in the clubhouse, etc.

When Ozzie called in, he probably didn't realize he was on the air. Once he was informed about it, he already was in mid-rant. Then North made a bad situation worse by using a few choice words of his own. I know da-n isn't considered a bad, bad word, but if you're a broadcaster taking a holier-than-thou attitude toward an angry guest, shouldn't you avoid using it?

The station is acting unprofessionally by hyping this incident in a desperate effort to get more ratings. The FCC should fine the station a huge amount and North should be suspended or fired.

The Sox should dump the Score as their radio station. Could you imagine WGN trying to goad Barrett into saying something bad about the manager and then having the show's host berate Piniella if he tried to call in? I can't imagine Piniella or some other managers avoiding swear words in this type of scenario.

jenn2080
05-18-2007, 12:46 PM
KW on the air right now with B&B.

and what did he say?

Kilroy
05-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow....

Some serious Ozzie-defending going on in this thread. I just can't see how anyone could defend him. What in the hell is he doing calling up North's show in the first place? Is he still too stupid to realize that he's supposed to be above that?

And I can forgive the first f-bomb since he might not have known he was on the air but North told him 3 separate times that they were live on the air and he kept swearing. And he has the nerve to say that AJ says some stupid things?

Ozzie's an ass sometimes who just needs to shut the **** up.

rdwj
05-18-2007, 12:47 PM
North's days are numbered. This is a perfect example of why I'm not going to shed a tear about his departure. I used to really like the guy back in the day when he had Jiggs to anchor him, but he's been brutal since going out on his own.

I can't fault Ozzie for being pissed. Ya, you can complain about his language, but that's the way the guy talks. He learned the language in a dugout; what do you expect?

INSox56
05-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Were you actually on the air? Everytime i've called in to a live show I hear a short static pulse when they switch me on. It is a little jarring to the senses... i've know other people who have heard it too. Maybe it is not universal? I thought it was a feature of whatever system they use. Yeah, I called a radio show at Purdue. Called the postgame on both the score and espn. Never heard it. :dunno:

bryPt
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Um, AJ is a big boy, and North was not putting words in his mouth. I am not a North fan, but I heard nothing wrong with anything he did in the AJ interview. I think he just acted like a fan. The first thing I did when I heard AJ was not playing was swear. I hate the Cub, so does AJ, and I think he should play. I could care less about lefty / righty crapola. Let him play, he dang near took what was a boring crosstown rivalry and spiced it up single handedly last year. AJ should have shown some restraint on the air, but he is just being AJ, so....

Overall, pretty funny, but I am sure this whole thing is going to cause some problems with the FCC and the Sox being on The Score in the future.

Dan Mega
05-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Anyone know what KW said on B&B?

maurice
05-18-2007, 01:00 PM
And how. This morning he was going off how nobody local is making a big deal about this and how his gopher was faxing off the quote to about 60 news outlets nationwide.

North regularly complains that the people in charge of the station don't do enough to promote his show, so he resorts to stuff like this. You could almost hear the gears grinding in his head during Ozzie's call, thinking "Hmmm, maybe if I start screaming at Ozzie here, I can use this to promote my show."

MUsoxfan
05-18-2007, 01:00 PM
I applaud Ozzie. I really do. North is an *******, he's always been an ******* and always been an *******. I love how he's screaming at Ozzie to not "talk down" to him, but that's all that prick does every day to everyone else under the sun.

Memo to Mike North: You're a radio troll that's 1/2 step up from a sewer rat that's constantly stirring the pot to get a reaction. You got the reaction and you couldn't handle it. Crawl back in your hole and never come out

TDog
05-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Wow....

Some serious Ozzie-defending going on in this thread. I just can't see how anyone could defend him. What in the hell is he doing calling up North's show in the first place? Is he still too stupid to realize that he's supposed to be above that?

And I can forgive the first f-bomb since he might not have known he was on the air but North told him 3 separate times that they were live on the air and he kept swearing. And he has the nerve to say that AJ says some stupid things?

Why should I care if Guillen used profanity during a heated discussion on the radio? Responding to North should be beneath him, but Guillen's a passionate man. I wouldn't hire him to host a radio show (unless it were satellite radio). I wouldn't hire him for a public relations job. Jerry Manuel wouldn't have used profanity on the radio. I know that much.

Frankly, I'm more offended by your filtered profanity in this context.

PaulDrake
05-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Wow....

Ozzie's an ass sometimes who just needs to shut the **** up. I totally agree with you, but doubt we'll have much company.

areilly
05-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I gotta say, North does a pretty good impression of a tough guy.

Kilroy
05-18-2007, 01:37 PM
Why should I care if Guillen used profanity during a heated discussion on the radio? Responding to North should be beneath him, but Guillen's a passionate man. I wouldn't hire him to host a radio show (unless it were satellite radio). I wouldn't hire him for a public relations job. Jerry Manuel wouldn't have used profanity on the radio. I know that much.

Frankly, I'm more offended by your filtered profanity in this context.

Why should you care? That's the guy who steps out front and represents your favorite baseball team. So as a fan, he represents you. And it doesn't bother you that in doing so, he doesn't have the smarts to stay above a pompous blowbag like Mike North?

As manager of the Sox, he HAS a public relations job. That's what he's doing in those regularly scheduled press conferences after each game. No one will fault him for being passionate, but he should have some class while he's doing it.

I totally agree with you, but doubt we'll have much company.

By the looks of things, probably not.

TheOldRoman
05-18-2007, 01:44 PM

No, no, you misunderstand me. Back in Venezuela, shut the **** up means how you doin'.As inappropriate as Ozzie's comment about Moronotti was, he was telling the truth about the meaning of that word in Venezuela, and it had no sexual connotation. And you couldn't find a better term for Mariotti than one meaning "spineless" and "not a real man". But don't let facts get in the way...

TheOldRoman
05-18-2007, 01:45 PM
I applaud Ozzie. I really do. North is an *******, he's always been an ******* and always been an *******. I love how he's screaming at Ozzie to not "talk down" to him, but that's all that prick does every day to everyone else under the sun.

Memo to Mike North: You're a radio troll that's 1/2 step up from a sewer rat that's constantly stirring the pot to get a reaction. You got the reaction and you couldn't handle it. Crawl back in your hole and never come out
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
He is a ****ing lowlife and a pice of ****. All he does is praise himself, talk about how much money he has, and talk about his legacy in Chicago.
Oh, and the 2 swears he said after North told him they were on air were the S-bomb (if you can call it that) and goddamn. It isn't like he berated him with F-bombs.

Thome25
05-18-2007, 02:25 PM
I totally agree with you, but doubt we'll have much company.--By PaulDrake

You and Kilroy are both clearly in the minority here. It's about time someone stood up to that arrogant ******* North.

North is a hypocrite and he finally got a taste of his own medicine. Everyone hammered Jerry Manuel for being too laid back and acting like a mannequin in the dugout and clubhouse.

Ozzie is a hard-nosed old school manager who doesn't take people's ****. I applaude him for that and he obviously fits Chicago perfectly.

I'll celebrate the day North isn't on the air anymore. Perhaps you, Kilroy and North should take the first bus outta town together.

HotelWhiteSox
05-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Out of the kitchen and in the visiting manager's office at Wrigley Field, North and Guillen made nice after the show. They hugged and North handed out chocolate candies to Sox players.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070518cubssoxozziemikenorth,1,5359412.story?coll=c s-home-headlines

TDog
05-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Why should you care? That's the guy who steps out front and represents your favorite baseball team. So as a fan, he represents you. And it doesn't bother you that in doing so, he doesn't have the smarts to stay above a pompous blowbag like Mike North?

As manager of the Sox, he HAS a public relations job. That's what he's doing in those regularly scheduled press conferences after each game. No one will fault him for being passionate, but he should have some class while he's doing it.

Judging from the number of asterisks I see on this board, and particularly in this thread, Guillen would seem to do an accurate job of representing White Sox fans.

By the way, I have never needed the language filter.

QCIASOXFAN
05-18-2007, 02:47 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070518cubssoxozziemikenorth,1,5359412.story?coll=c s-home-headlines

:redneck

PaulDrake
05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
You and Kilroy are both clearly in the minority here. It's about time someone stood up to that arrogant ******* North.

North is a hypocrite and he finally got a taste of his own medicine. Everyone hammered Jerry Manuel for being too laid back and acting like a mannequin in the dugout and clubhouse.

Ozzie is a hard-nosed old school manager who doesn't take people's ****. I applaude him for that and he obviously fits Chicago perfectly.

I'll celebrate the day North isn't on the air anymore. Perhaps you, Kilroy and North should take the first bus outta town together. I don't live in Chicago, but when I visit make it a point to avoid listening to Mike North, who I loathe. That being said, feel free to applaud Ozzie for this latest outburst. I'm done being an Ozzie enabler. His act has worn thin on me. I grew up in Chicago, and crossed paths with lots of real tough guys. None of them frothed at the mouth like a hurt child the way Ozzie does sometimes. If that's your definition of tough, then the bar has been lowered.

chaerulez
05-18-2007, 03:32 PM
AJ should not have griped about the lineup crap in public. But that doesn't give Ozzie the right to call in and start swearing on live radio. I find North to be a huge tool, but he really didn't do anything wrong here, no one told AJ or Ozzie to say or act the way they did.

HawkDJ
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Alright after listening to both interviews here is my (hopefully) rational and unbiased opinion (I have listened to Mike North for maybe 10 minutes total in my lifetime).

AJ's name should be cleared here. He did nothing wrong. He was disappointed he's not playing today. Ok good. As he should be. Mike North basically fed him lines by asking "I kept hearing you need a rest." and AJ responded by saying "Why would I need a rest? Why didn't anyone ask me if I need a rest?" He wasn't complaining, he was responding to North's fed line. He even stated a few times, he's not upset, just disappointed, it's nothing against Hall and he doesn't make the lineup card. Ok, nothing to see here.

Ozzie perhaps stepped out of bounds by opening with "shut the **** up" but I'm willing to accept the possibility that he didn't think he was on the air. After North told him he was on the radio it didn't sound like he said anything too earth shattering. What followed was North telling Ozzie "not to talk down to him." Actually it seemed just the opposite with North not letting Ozzie get a word in and going on a rant. In my opinion North took this opportunity and ran with it, making it a bigger deal than it was.

Just sayin.

oeo
05-18-2007, 03:58 PM

I disagree...we need more Ozzies.

QCIASOXFAN
05-18-2007, 04:03 PM
I disagree...we need more Ozzies.
I agree.

SOXandILLINI
05-18-2007, 04:05 PM
is mike north a utensil ? absolutely, but guess what, so is ozzie.... keep it up ozzie, and you will make my wishes come true.

thomas35forever
05-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I laughed at North's reaction. Ozzie calling out two douchebags in the Chicago media in less than a year. He wasn't right to swear like that on the air, but North needs to learn that fewer people are buying into his crap.

chisoxmike
05-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Interesting...

from the Trib...

Out of the kitchen and in the visiting manager's office at Wrigley Field, North and Guillen made nice after the show. They hugged and North handed out chocolate candies to Sox players.

Pierzynski met with his manager and GM Ken Williams after the dust-up. He told reporters he's been assured he's not in a platoon scenario with Hall and he has moved on. He's also reconsidering his weekly show with WSCR.

"I've got to talk to my agent and my family," Pierzynski said.

No word whether a piece of North's chocolate will be enough to sweeten the deal.

jenn2080
05-18-2007, 05:02 PM
AJ should not have griped about the lineup crap in public. But that doesn't give Ozzie the right to call in and start swearing on live radio. I find North to be a huge tool, but he really didn't do anything wrong here, no one told AJ or Ozzie to say or act the way they did.

I am confused as to why AJ is the ******* here. His interview was fine. The guy was disappointed he wasnt playing. I dont think he ever called out Ozzie or anything.

Did you listen to the interview? Mike North went off for no reason other to try to be a bad ass. Ozzie couldnt get a word in.

CLR01
05-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Did you listen to the interview? Mike North went off for no reason other to try to be a bad ass. Ozzie couldnt get a word in.

Did you?

DickAllen72
05-18-2007, 05:06 PM
AJ needs to stop whining. He has started in 29 of the first 37 games and has played in all but 1 game this year. I guess he expected to play in 161 games this year. :rolleyes:
A.J. was not whining. He answered a direct question with a direct answer. He said yes, he's disappointed at not being in the lineup and yes he wants to play. He also said he has nothing against Toby Hall or anyone else and he said that he understands that Ozzie makes the lineups and it's Ozzie's call.

A.J. said nothing wrong. Ozzie was wrong both for calling in and secondly for uneccessarily using profanity repeatedly.

Ozzie's act has gotten old.

SOXandILLINI
05-18-2007, 05:09 PM
A.J. was not whining. He answered a direct question with a direct answer. He said yes, he's disappointed at not being in the lineup and yes he wants to play. He also said he has nothing against Toby Hall or anyone else and he said that he understands that Ozzie makes the lineups and it's Ozzie's call.

A.J. said nothing wrong. Ozzie was wrong both for calling in and secondly for uneccessarily using profanity repeatedly.

Ozzie's act has gotten old.

very, very old.

Cellview22
05-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Just listened to it on the Score's website. Why did North flip out like that on Ozzie? He sounded like a guy who hates Ozzie, and this was the final straw. All Ozzie did was swear on the radio, he was upset, but then cooled down and said "you're my friend".. North let his true feelings out, and completely lost it. Mike North irritates the hell out of me.

UserNameBlank
05-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I understand that it might be a stretch to think that A.J. would cook up that whole fight scene with Barrett, but it all just seemed so staged.
Who knows? But it just seems so contrived.
Pro wrestlers hit harder than Michael Barrett. Even Michael Flatley could beat Barrett's ass.

FarWestChicago
05-18-2007, 05:31 PM
WRONG

Should AJ have aired his feelings in private to Ozzie? Yes.

Ozzie spewing expletives on live radio is most definitely wrong.

I agree with everthing you said, except I think he was acting more like a 2 year old. That was very depressing. He's lucky I'm not his boss.Why and I not shocked to find you three chronic depressives going insane about nothing?

CLR01
05-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Why and I not shocked to find you three chronic depressives going insane about nothing?

Probably the same reason I am not shocked the usual apologist are here defending Ozzie making an ass out of himself and by extension the White Sox again.

Jjav829
05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
I was fully expecting to come away from listening to that interview thinking Ozzie was the bad guy. He obviously started it, and should have watched his language on the radio, but damn did North do a good job of making Ozzie look like the better man.

And North bringing up the issue of talking to people with respect... :roflmao: Where's that black kettle image again?

southside rocks
05-18-2007, 06:01 PM
I was fully expecting to come away from listening to that interview thinking Ozzie was the bad guy. He obviously started it, and should have watched his language on the radio, but damn did North do a good job of making Ozzie look like the better man.

And North bringing up the issue of talking to people with respect... :roflmao: Where's that black kettle image again?

I just listened to the clip and I had the same reaction you did. I hate it that Ozzie behaved like an ass, but North -- wow, he really did sound the stupider of the two! And he sounded like he was enjoying the hell out of himself, too, shouting "respect!" over and over again. Uh, Mike, aren't you the guy who gets sloshed, hops into your car, and calls in to your radio station's postgame show while you drive around boozed up? Yeah, let's have you tell Ozzie Guillen how to behave ... that'll work.

I really wish Ozzie could ****, though. :(:

Madvora
05-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Just listened to the clip and it sounded like North was playing it up to the crowd. I think when a guy is getting yelled at and a bunch of people are watching (broadcasting in front of a live audience,) you kind of think you have to do something to save face. That's what North was doing.

Conclusion - they're both idiots.

IlliniSox4Life
05-18-2007, 06:15 PM

North just sounds like an idiot.

They said they were both friends. If they are both friends or at least friendly, I have no doubt that they curse at each other left and right in casual conversation. At the beginning after Ozzie cursed the first time, North even said something like "I understand you think we're talking by ourselves, but were on the air", and then he pulls a complete 180 and just starts yelling about respect.

Ozzie was wrong for swearing, especially after North told him he was on the air. But North comes off looking like a huge tool. It seems like he sort of baited Ozzie into it.

jenn2080
05-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Did you?

Yes I actually did. Sure Ozzie was an ass from the start, but Mike North was the bigger ass

russ99
05-18-2007, 06:40 PM
This is ridiculous.

If anyone's at fault it's North. I don't know about you guys, but the impression I have is this is the way Ozzie Guillen talks. He's famous for his expletive-laced conversations, be it happy, angry or indifferent.

North had all the control there. He didn't have to talk to Ozzie, He could have cut him off, beeped him, etc.

North first tries to trump up a non-existing clubhouse problem, and IMO: He's the one who flies off he handle with his B.S. about respect and talking down to someone. Ozzie's tone of voice didn't change at all throughout his conversation.

As far as respect, I sure as heck respect a guy who built a career as a player and an outstanding manager after arriving from another country without knowing a word of English a whole lot more than a schlocky radio sports anchor.

MarySwiss
05-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Probably the same reason I am not shocked the usual apologist are here defending Ozzie making an ass out of himself and by extension the White Sox again.

Maybe these guys who refuse to talk to the media have the right idea. At least their fans don't have to deal with the same ol', same ol' all the damn time.

AJ and Ozzie by now should be wise to the media in Chicago. So, much as I cannot stand North, you have to blame both of them as well. I didn't hear the exchange, but from what I've read here, IMO, AJ should not have commented on being out of the lineup and Ozzie CERTAINLY should not have called in.

PLEASE fellas, can we just get back to the business of winning another World Series?

CLR01
05-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Maybe these guys who refuse to talk to the media have the right idea. At least their fans don't have to deal with the same ol', same ol' all the damn time.

If they would just think a little before opening their mouth it wouldn't be a problem.

AJ and Ozzie by now should be wise to the media in Chicago. So, much as I cannot stand North, you have to blame both of them as well. I didn't hear the exchange, but from what I've read here, IMO, AJ should not have commented on being out of the lineup and Ozzie CERTAINLY should not have called in.

I agree with Ozzie and North both being at fault. Like I said earlier in the thread they both acted like idiots.

I have very little problem with what AJ said, if he had discussed it with Ozzie and KW before he said it then I have no problem with it.

southside rocks
05-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Mary's point is a good one.

I just finished reading "October Men", Roger Kahn's book about the 1978 Yankees. In the afterword to the book, which he wrote in 2003, he said this:

The media pretty much overwhelmed the Yankees in 1978 and today the Yankees have established systems to prevent that from happening again. This approach, managing the news, is old stuff in Hollywood and politics, but it is relatively new in baseball. 'We have to do these things,' a veteran baseball executive told me ... 'The way today's press looks for scandal and sex, even when there isn't any there, we're forced to close a lot of doors. I don't personally like it, but the media today gives us no choice.'

Not talking to the media, at least when that media is people like the Windsock and Mike North, is a smart idea.

UserNameBlank
05-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Not talking to the media, at least when that media is people like the Windsock and Mike North, is a smart idea.
It is, but talking to the media is a nice service to the fans IMO. I like hearing what actual members of a professional sports team have to say on the radio instead of listening to the same old banter between overreactive callers and hosts who never stop pushing the envelope.

North to me is one thing. I don't like the guy, but lets be honest. He is in no way was bad as the Windsock. Not even close. North has his moments but generally he is supportive of the Sox and will heavily complement players who are doing well. It is just that he does what he has to do to keep his job, and that is provoke discussion "by any means necessary." Sometimes, oftentimes actually, he comes off sounding like a total idiot, but with the media the way it is, if he didn't do that he wouldn't get a paycheck.

All in all, the Sox and Ozzie especially need to be more careful when speaking in public. I can imagine it would be very easy for someone like Ozzie who is around the team every day to get angered by something said about his players in the media, but that comes with the territory. Really Ozzie should thank his lucky stars he manages in Chicago and not New York or Boston where the media can be well beyond brutal.

champagne030
05-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Why and I not shocked to find you three chronic depressives going insane about nothing?

Yeah, my post was the height of insanity.

Wimpy
05-18-2007, 08:06 PM

No, no, you misunderstand me. Back in Venezuela, shut the **** up means how you doin'.

That is the funniest post I have ever read here.

Ozzie should not care about sportstalk radio. His act is getting old. He needs to settle down. Mike North had every right to yell at Ozzie.

gobears1987
05-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Every time Ozzie, a smart individual by most accounts, opens his mouth and says something ridiculously moronic, its another day Kenny Williams has to spend defending the moron. Its adding up. Act like a 40-something Ozzie.Excuse me but that "moron" won us a ****ing World Series.

Why don't you go leave us and listen to your buddy Mike North. If anyone is a moron, it is that douche.

He lied about what AJ said and that's what prompted the call.

TDog
05-18-2007, 08:18 PM
It is, but talking to the media is a nice service to the fans IMO. ...

I don't know that any good ever came from Frank Thomas talking to the media. But come to think of it, I don't know what good ever came from Frank Thomas not talking to the media.

CLR01
05-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Excuse me but that "moron" won us a ****ing World Series.

Why don't you go leave us and listen to your buddy Mike North. If anyone is a moron, it is that douche.

He lied about what AJ said and that's what prompted the call.

He can stay. If you don't like what he has to say you are free to leave.

southside rocks
05-18-2007, 08:23 PM
It is, but talking to the media is a nice service to the fans IMO. I like hearing what actual members of a professional sports team have to say on the radio instead of listening to the same old banter between overreactive callers and hosts who never stop pushing the envelope.

North to me is one thing. I don't like the guy, but lets be honest. He is in no way was bad as the Windsock. Not even close. North has his moments but generally he is supportive of the Sox and will heavily complement players who are doing well. It is just that he does what he has to do to keep his job, and that is provoke discussion "by any means necessary." Sometimes, oftentimes actually, he comes off sounding like a total idiot, but with the media the way it is, if he didn't do that he wouldn't get a paycheck.

All in all, the Sox and Ozzie especially need to be more careful when speaking in public. I can imagine it would be very easy for someone like Ozzie who is around the team every day to get angered by something said about his players in the media, but that comes with the territory. Really Ozzie should thank his lucky stars he manages in Chicago and not New York or Boston where the media can be well beyond brutal.

I completely agree that talking to the media is important to the fan base and that's why players and managers continue to do it. Look at the grief that Lou got when he avoided the postgame media session a couple of times.

I don't agree with you about Mike North. My opinion: he's every bit as much a waste of space as the Windsock is. North doesn't just provoke discussion, he outright makes up crap. If he had one-tenth the brain and baseball acumen of Steve Stone, he'd be a hundred times better than he (North, not Stone) is now. I find Mike North to be loud, boring and stupid, a deadly combination. I'm honestly surprised that AJ or Ozzie would waste their time with him, but I guess he's what there is on that station at that hour.

gobears1987
05-18-2007, 08:26 PM
I agree.I'll further agree.

I'd rather have a passionate manager who shoots his mouth off and shows emotion than another Jerry Manuel who is like Ghandi.

gobears1987
05-18-2007, 08:29 PM

Oh get off of it. I think 2005 gave Ozzie some leeway.

Let's not forget the fact that North started ripping Ozzie earlier on and pretty much exaggerated about what AJ said. AJ said nothing wrong, but North made it appear as if AJ was ripping Ozzie.

I'm glad to have Ozzie. He has passion and he will make sure that things are understood. If Ozzie said nothing, we would have threads about all the turmoil in the clubhouse because North would be continuing to spread lies about the situation.

CLR01
05-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Oh get off of it.

You get off it. You don't own the board or run it so quit telling people when they should leave it.

NSSoxFan
05-18-2007, 08:35 PM
The only story that I see here is why North insists that Ozzie not 'talk down' to him. What's the problem Mike? You don't like it when the shoe is on another foot? After all, using the phrase 'chinamen', amongst many other racist/sexist rants North has gone on, is not talking down to people.

UserNameBlank
05-18-2007, 08:58 PM
I completely agree that talking to the media is important to the fan base and that's why players and managers continue to do it. Look at the grief that Lou got when he avoided the postgame media session a couple of times.

I don't agree with you about Mike North. My opinion: he's every bit as much a waste of space as the Windsock is. North doesn't just provoke discussion, he outright makes up crap. If he had one-tenth the brain and baseball acumen of Steve Stone, he'd be a hundred times better than he (North, not Stone) is now. I find Mike North to be loud, boring and stupid, a deadly combination. I'm honestly surprised that AJ or Ozzie would waste their time with him, but I guess he's what there is on that station at that hour.

Look, you and I and probably just about everyone on this board would much rather listen to a baseball man like Steve Stone than a bumbling, babbling baffoon like Mike North. But look around. Mike North, Jay Mariotti, Jeff Brantley, Mac, Jerko, and Harry, Steve Phillips, Mike Murphy, that dumbass on ESPN radio whose name I'll never be able to spell correctly, Eric Asillius or something, just look at the trend. The parade that will occur once North is gone will promptly be not just rained on, but pissed on, by whatever equally idiotic individual that takes his place.

This is the way the sports media works. There is no changing it. If the Sox or any other team wants to speak to their fans in any way whatsoever they will have to deal with these people. Even in print media.

I wish things were different, but nothing is changing anytime soon, and until it does, the Sox are just going to have to bite their tongue a bit here and there.

goon
05-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Ozzie shouldn't have swore on the air, unless of course he didn't know he was on the air, but he probably did.

However, I don't like the way North handled Ozzie, all of a sudden he switches into this tough-guy, then turn Ozzie's mic down like a total *****, starts yelling at him about being disrespected. After it's clear that Ozzie has no chance to get a word in because North is spouting off, he hangs up the phone and North starts trashing him, then calling him "Jr." like Ozzie is some little bitch.

North needs to understand how irrelevant his "insight" on Chicago sports is and recognize how big of a presence Ozzie has in Chicago, North is nothing compared to him. What Ozzie did was uncalled for, but North's reaction was so ridiculous and exaggerated, he's lucky Ozzie didn't drive down to whatever bar he was at and embarrass him in front of all those flub fans he was hanging out with. What a joke... and he and Mariotti represent the voice of Chicago Sports, it's such a disgrace.

BanditJimmy
05-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Mike North went off for no reason other to try to be a bad ass. Ozzie couldnt get a word in.

You must have missed the 5 F-bombs Ozzie gave up before North snapped.

JB98
05-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Ozzie shouldn't have swore on the air, unless of course he didn't know he was on the air, but he probably did.

However, I don't like the way North handled Ozzie, all of a sudden he switches into this tough-guy, then turn Ozzie's mic down like a total *****, starts yelling at him about being disrespected. After it's clear that Ozzie has no chance to get a word in because North is spouting off, he hangs up the phone and North starts trashing him, then calling him "Jr." like Ozzie is some little bitch.

North needs to understand how irrelevant his "insight" on Chicago sports is and recognize how big of a presence Ozzie has in Chicago, North is nothing compared to him. What Ozzie did was uncalled for, but North's reaction was so ridiculous and exaggerated, he's lucky Ozzie didn't drive down to whatever bar he was at and embarrass him in front of all those flub fans he was hanging out with. What a joke... and he and Mariotti represent the voice of Chicago Sports, it's such a disgrace.

Well stated.

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2007, 10:24 PM
It should be stated that today at Wrigley Field, North and Guillen made nice after the morning confrontation. The ChicagoSports.com story said they hugged and "North handed out chocolate candies to Sox players."

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070518cubssoxozziemikenorth,1,5359412.story?coll=c s-home-headlines) for those of you Tribune-registered

FarWestChicago
05-18-2007, 10:54 PM

He can stay. If you don't like what he has to say you are free to leave.

You get off it. You don't own the board or run it so quit telling people when they should leave it.CLR, you have made me see the light. **** the Sox! **** KW! **** Ozzie! All that matters is BA. I don't know how I didn't see that before. What would BA do? Isn't that all that matters?

JB98
05-18-2007, 11:01 PM
CLR, you have made me see the light. **** the Sox! **** KW! **** Ozzie! All that matters is BA. I don't know how I didn't see that before. What would BA do? Isn't that all that matters?

West has been drinking his "OFFICAL" BA Haterade again. :D:

Actually, West, it's good to have you on my side in one of these debates for a change. :cool:

HotelWhiteSox
05-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Great, this already made SportsCenter

Viva Medias B's
05-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Great, this already made SportsCenter

Interesting that ESPN played the whole thing but didn't mention the "radio host's" name. They had a graphic indicating "The Score in Chicago," but I bet they did not want to promote their rival station.

chaerulez
05-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Interesting that ESPN played the whole thing but didn't mention the "radio host's" name. They had a graphic indicating "The Score in Chicago," but I bet they did not want to promote their rival station.

Exactly, they had to credit the source, but there is a really they put The Score and not either WSCR or 670.

But I just heard Chris Russell, the late night guy on Sporting News Radio. Here's someone that needs to get his facts straight. He was claiming that Ozzie dropped "six f-bombs". I've said what Ozzie did was stupid. However there is a difference from "six f-bombs" to what Ozzie actually said, which was to my count, once swear word that begins with the letter f and two times a swear word that begins with the letter s. It's sad that in this day and age people can't report the facts straight.

HotelWhiteSox
05-19-2007, 02:51 AM

Especially when he goes against their national radio show (Mike & Mike, which still beats by the way, I guess he's run out of excuses, I remember his last one was that he didn't have any billboards). I still wouldn't be surprised if it was all an act, Mike's reaping the benefits right now. We'll see if it outweighs what's going to happen with the FCC

oeo
05-19-2007, 03:00 AM
Especially when he goes against their national radio show (Mike & Mike, which still beats by the way, I guess he's run out of excuses, I remember his last one was that he didn't have any billboards). I still wouldn't be surprised if it was all an act, Mike's reaping the benefits right now. We'll see if it outweighs what's going to happen with the FCC

I just listened to it for the first time...and my did it sound like a complete hoax.

I still find it hilarious either way. People are pissed because he cursed a couple of times? *****, now we're just looking for anything to make a story about.

BTW, as Ozzie would say...**** the FCC.

Grzegorz
05-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Classlessness; exhibited all the way around by all parties involved. First, by the player that felt snubbed by his management by not being in the starting lineup and chose to air those comments, then by a public relations nightmare in the form of a major league manager, and last but not least by a confrontational talk show host that will do anything for ratings.

SOXandILLINI
05-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Classlessness; exhibited all the way around by all parties involved. First, by the player that felt snubbed by his management by not being in the starting lineup and chose to air those comments, then by a public relations nightmare in the form of a major league manager, and last but not least by a confrontational talk show host that will do anything for ratings.

grz... we have a bingo.

Fenway
05-19-2007, 08:28 AM
I am a member of a media mailing list and there is a suspicion that North and Ozzie staged the entire incident to give North some badly needed PR.

Until Thursday nobody east of South Bend had never heard of him...now he has been on SportsCenter 2 nights in a row.

People on the Red Sox and Yankees boards all seem to agree that North appears to be a moron. One poster on nyyfans.com said

Mike North sounds like the "Da Bears" guys from the SNL skit. I don't think I could last 2 minutes listening to this guy talk...

FarWestChicago
05-19-2007, 08:50 AM
I am a member of a media mailing list and there is a suspicion that North and Ozzie staged the entire incident to give North some badly needed PR.Meanwhile we have the panties in a knot crowd going crazy here. You gotta love it. :cool:

MarkPloch
05-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I just listened to the whole drama, and I think North is a buffoon.
Ozzie's language is part of who he is. If you put him on live with out a delay you're pretty stupid. But, strip away the swear words and what is Ozzie's message?
I'm the manager. I've got to play my players to see what I've got. Nobody in the media will or can tell me how to manage.

I always love how media guys get tough after their guests leave.
North (for the record I've only heard his show a few times to know he's a dumb ass kissing moron) made nice to Ozzie and AJ because he knows HE needs them, they do not need him.

goon
05-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I am a member of a media mailing list and there is a suspicion that North and Ozzie staged the entire incident to give North some badly needed PR.

Until Thursday nobody east of South Bend had never heard of him...now he has been on SportsCenter 2 nights in a row.

People on the Red Sox and Yankees boards all seem to agree that North appears to be a moron. One poster on nyyfans.com said

haha, well, that would certainly make sense. I wonder if he could get fired for his actions, considering how many times Ozzie cursed on the air. Oh man, I'm not saying I'd like to see anyone lose their job, but on the other hand...

flo-B-flo
05-19-2007, 11:22 AM
QUIT LISTENING TO ****IN "TALK" RADIO! :angry:

Fenway
05-19-2007, 11:27 AM
I wonder how much this will cost CBS Radio in fines with the FCC.

Every talk radio station has what is know as the "profanity switch" and most are on a 7 second delay. North's producer should have hit it.

SOXandILLINI
05-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Meanwhile we have the panties in a knot crowd going crazy here. You gotta love it. :cool:

yeah, it was staged :rolleyes: .... you people are unreal... this just in, the moon landing was fake.. get a grip.

JB98
05-19-2007, 12:19 PM

North's ratings have been slipping. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was a public relations ploy. Hopefully, Chicagoans won't take the bait. Ignore Mike North. Ignore sportsblab radio. This has nothing to do with what is happening on the field. Who cares?

SOXandILLINI
05-19-2007, 12:23 PM
North's ratings have been slipping. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was a public relations ploy. Hopefully, Chicagoans won't take the bait. Ignore Mike North. Ignore sportsblab radio. This has nothing to do with what is happening on the field. Who cares?

i wanna get something straight people, are any of you implying that it was staged and ozzie was in on it? if so, then i really believe ozzie should be fired. if that's not what you're implying then i guess it was just ozzie being ozzie, and mike north being mike north, both a pair of clownshoes.

oeo
05-19-2007, 12:48 PM
i wanna get something straight people, are any of you implying that it was staged and ozzie was in on it? if so, then i really believe ozzie should be fired. if that's not what you're implying then i guess it was just ozzie being ozzie, and mike north being mike north, both a pair of clownshoes.

Well, I guess you're stuck then, because Ozzie isn't going to be fired over this.

TheVulture
05-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Every player wants to play, especially in a series like this, so I have no problem with AJ wanting to be out there.

A series like this? You mean the least important series the sox have played all year? Of course Ozzie played Hall the first chance he got in a game of less than utmost importance.

CLR01
05-19-2007, 12:57 PM
I wonder how much this will cost CBS Radio in fines with the FCC.

Every talk radio station has what is know as the "profanity switch" and most are on a 7 second delay. North's producer should have hit it.

What is it, $325,000 per word (for the s and the f word)? That could end up being a nice little fine.

Fenway
05-19-2007, 01:07 PM
What is it, $325,000 per word (for the s and the f word)? That could end up being a nice little fine.

CBS could get surprised one day when the FCC simply revokes their license to operate. They could in theory decide after so many infractions to claim they are not suitable to operate a station.

Sooner or later it will happen. They have done it a couple of times with TV stations.

05-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Props to Kevin Kennedy on FOX for completely backing Ozzie up and saying North was baiting him and also AJ.

SOXandILLINI
05-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Well, I guess you're stuck then, because Ozzie isn't going to be fired over this.

i'm "stuck"? what is that supposed to mean? and of course you don't answer the question. as far as ozzie being baited by mike north, if anyone can be baited by that double digit I.Q goof, it doesn't say much for ozzie.

Frontman
05-19-2007, 04:49 PM
About time someone from the Sox told North off. His attitude is always lousy when it comes to Sox baseball. His attitude last year with KW amazed me about KW's patience, because if I was Kenny, I would of hung up on the hotdog vendor after his comment of "Is there any Alomar's left in the league for you to bring in, Kenny?"

Mike's commentary:
"You know, all I'm sayin' is, look, you know, like starters should start. That's all I'm sayin'."

Yeah Northy. Let's start all of our 9 starters for all 162 games. Nope, don't you dare change the lineup, there Ozzie. Don't move a single player.

Dufus. North is an idiot, and I for one am glad Ozzie told him to shut up. I just wish Ozzie remembered the whole FCC no-swearing thing.

gobears1987
05-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Dufus. North is an idiot, and I for one am glad Ozzie told him to shut up. I just wish Ozzie remembered the whole FCC no-swearing thing.
Why? The FCC thing isn't Ozzie's problem. It's North and the Score's problem. They don't fine callers. They fine the producers and hosts who don't have their show on delay.

Frontman
05-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Why? The FCC thing isn't Ozzie's problem. It's North and the Score's problem. They don't fine callers. They fine the producers and hosts who don't have their show on delay.

That's true. I just wish Ozzie didn't swear, that's all. Because in doing so, it weakens his point of telling North off. People go "Well, there goes that loose cannon Guillen again" instead of "Man, Ozzie ripped North a new one."

Instead, North baited AJ and baited Ozzie. Both Sox guys took the bait.

southside rocks
05-19-2007, 09:18 PM
What is it, $325,000 per word (for the s and the f word)? They could end up being a nice little fine.

Wouldn't it be great if some or all of that came out of North's salary?

I know it won't, I'm just looking for some cheerful thoughts after the latest atrocity at the ... confines.

lumpyspun
05-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Wouldn't it be great if some or all of that came out of North's salary?

I know it won't, I'm just looking for some cheerful thoughts after the latest atrocity at the ... confines.

All we can do is try. For anyone interested, here is the FCC link to file an online claim for indecency on the airwaves:

FCC COMPLAINTS (http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cib/fcc475B.cfm)

HotelWhiteSox
05-19-2007, 09:43 PM
i'm "stuck"? what is that supposed to mean? and of course you don't answer the question. as far as ozzie being baited by mike north, if anyone can be baited by that double digit I.Q goof, it doesn't say much for ozzie.

North is smarter than he comes off as. He got himself over a mill $$ a year salary and has helped the station out with getting sponsors

Frontman
05-19-2007, 10:09 PM
North is smarter than he comes off as. He got himself over a mill $$ a year salary and has helped the station out with getting sponsors

Now did he bring in the sponsors who are the ones whose commericals plug their own shows on a "sister" station for financial advice, or did he bring in the "Heavenly Bodies" sponsors?

Otherwise, what precisely does North bring to the Score anymore other than to get under the Sox players/staff skin? Sans AJ (who lives for that stuff) I don't think too many of the Sox staff appreciate North and his radio crew.

gobears1987
05-19-2007, 10:13 PM
All we can do is try. For anyone interested, here is the FCC link to file an online claim for indecency on the airwaves:

FCC COMPLAINTS (http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cib/fcc475B.cfm)
I filed my complaint. (thanks for the link)

**** you Mike North. You can take Ozzie's advice and ****.

MUsoxfan
05-20-2007, 01:43 AM

Your Ozzie hating agenda has grown tiresome. He will not be fired less than two years after a Championship, muchless for a dopey and meaningless radio stunt. Cite a body of his managerial miscues (earlier than 5/07) and maybe I'll reconsider how seriously I should take any of your opinions regarding our manager with a ring on his finger.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2007, 01:45 AM
You're Ozzie hating agenda has grown tiresome. He will not be fired less than two years after a Championship, muchless for a dopey and meaningless radio stunt. Cite a body of his managerial miscues (earlier than 5/07) and maybe I'll reconsider how seriously I should take any of your opinions regarding our manager with a ring on his finger.Not to mention a well-above-.500 record in his time as Sox manager.

Grzegorz
05-20-2007, 05:11 AM
Not to mention a well-above-.500 record in his time as Sox manager.

I see to some that Ozzie has unlimited capital from 2005. Sad, but I want more as a Chicago White Sox fan.

As for his record as skipper, I just have to ask which way this team is trending. Managers get the credit when they win and managers get the heat when they lose.

I am confident that this team will rebound and fight for a playoff spot. But, if this team does not get into the playoffs a closer look has to be given to the personnel associated with this team starting with the manager.

FarWestChicago
05-20-2007, 06:08 AM
I see to some that Ozzie has unlimited capital from 2005.I know this will come as a complete shock to one who lives in your monochromatic world; but, there is a big difference between not believing Ozzie should be fired at this point and thinking he has unlimited capital. If I hadn't already observed the consistent, absolutist nature of your thinking, I would be scratching my head wondering how you made such a staggeringly illogical leap.

southside rocks
05-20-2007, 06:44 AM
... there is a big difference between not believing Ozzie should be fired at this point and thinking he has unlimited capital.

Yes. I am a big fan of Ozzie Guillen, but I am disappointed by his behavior in this whole stupid Mike North incident. OTOH, I am not under any illusions about who or what Ozzie -- or any other pro athlete -- is. This is a game that is played by men who in general have the emotional maturity of 12-year-olds. However, their physical attributes and abilities make them very good at what they do, which is much more than anyone can say for cretins like North, who is only employed because there are so many stupid people around who will listen to him.

I hope that Ozzie's ill-advised reaction to North doesn't mean that he's starting to let the pressure of this frustrating season and last get to him, though. That would make a bad situation worse.

I wonder about relations between WSCR and the Sox, and if the club might move to another broadcast station next year. Just curious.

hawkjt
05-20-2007, 08:01 AM
I want to second that kudo to kevin kennedy who refused to just do the standard take on the ozzie/north interview and actually address the whole conversation...in context.. eric karros is clearly a cub sychofant who just took the jim rome easy way to rip ozzie without knowing the whole story approach..

it is always surprising to me how many of these national guys fail to really understand a situation before commenting.. it is pure laziness ,I guess.

heard a late nite radio guy on Sporting News radio ripping on AJ for whining about not playing.. and on ozzie -- guy did not even listen to the whole call.

Viva Medias B's
05-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Ozzie should not be fired for what he did Friday morning. Nor should he be fired for how we have been playing so far. Yes, going on the radio and swearing on the air (regardless of whether he knew he was on the air or not) is inexcusable. And, yes, he must be held accountable (within legitimate reason) for his role in how we have been playing.

I said last night that any kind of firing would maybe only be justified if:

We fail to make the playoffs.
That failure is not caused by impact players suffering season-ending injuries (i.e., Frank Thomas and Mágglio Ordóńez in 2004).
A preponderance of the evidence clearly shows that Guillen's decision making and/or conduct is the biggest reason for the playoff failure.Right now, that would be the only possible legitimate case to fire Ozzie. And it's not legitimate at all right now because this scenario obvioulsy has not played itself out yet. Moreover, it may never play itself out this way because we are very much alive in the playoff race despite our current problems. In the meantime, Ozzie's job is and should be safe.

harwar
05-20-2007, 09:25 AM
I think that Ozzie makes sound baseball moves most of the time but that lately they have all been blowing up in his face.
Now,picking up the phone and calling in to a talk show and letting loose that diatribe was unprofessional and just plain stupid.
North is a **** of the first water and may he rot in hell,but the ******** is just doing what that station pays him for.
Ozzie has to get better control of his emotions or maybe management can hire someone to follow him around and tackle and gag him when he starts to go off like that.

SOXandILLINI
05-20-2007, 09:32 AM

wrong, he's an idiot, and i know plenty of multi millionaires who are just as stupid.

viagracat
05-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Ozzie reminds me a lot of Ditka. They're both charismatic, hard-nosed guys who brought great changes--real or perceived--to their teams when they arrived, and of course both won championships.

The downside--for Ditka, anyway--was I think the shtick wore thin prematurely because he couldn't stop doing and saying things that alienate a lot of people, such as throwing gum at a fan, his rants and his incessant "in life..." comments. I can imagine some of his players rolling their eyes after awhile. When your players stop listening to you, you're finished as a coach, and Ditka could never recreate the magic of his early seasons again.

Hope the same things don't happen to Ozzie. A bulb that burns too bright doesn't last too long.

SOXandILLINI
05-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Your Ozzie hating agenda has grown tiresome. He will not be fired less than two years after a Championship, muchless for a dopey and meaningless radio stunt. Cite a body of his managerial miscues (earlier than 5/07) and maybe I'll reconsider how seriously I should take any of your opinions regarding our manager with a ring on his finger.

could not care less if it has become tiresome to you or not, and as far as having an agenda is concerned, i detest the man , plain and simple, both as a human being and as a manager, fortunately detesting someone does not cloud my objectivity, as unfortunately the fact that we won a world series in 2005 clouds most peoples on this board.... and as far as his winning percentage is concerned, with the talent on his white sox teams, if he wasn't a .500 + manager he would be coaching 1st base for someone right now.

SOXandILLINI
05-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Ozzie reminds me a lot of Ditka. They're both charismatic, hard-nosed guys who brought great changes--real or perceived--to their teams when they arrived, and of course both won championships.

The downside--for Ditka, anyway--was I think the shtick wore thin prematurely because he couldn't stop doing and saying things that alienate a lot of people, such as throwing gum at a fan, his rants and his incessant "in life..." comments. I can imagine some of his players rolling their eyes after awhile. When your players stop listening to you, you're finished as a coach, and Ditka could never recreate the magic of his early seasons again.

Hope the same things don't happen to Ozzie. A bulb that burns too bright doesn't last too long.

this is a very inciteful post, and the fact of the matter is, neither one is or was a great coach/manager. ditkas bears were head and shoulders, talent wise, above the rest of the n.f.l in 85, and ozzies 2005 white sox were an extremely talented team that had all the stars align for them in that given year. show me a guy that wins, not necessarily championships, with mediocre talent, or that wins thru alot of adversity , and i will show you a great coach/manager... neither one of these chicago "icons" fits that category.

goldglovesox
05-20-2007, 09:51 AM
show me a guy that wins, not necessarily championships, with mediocre talent, or that wins thru alot of adversity , and i will show you a great coach/manager... neither one of these chicago "icons" fits that category.[/quote]

Wrong. Go back to start of '05 and tell me who you thought was above mediocre talent? Podsednik hit .244 the year before. Iguchi was seen on a video tape. Konerko was very good. Everett was an average major leaguer. Dye coming off an injury. Pierzynski had an average year before. Crede was a mediocre hitter. Rowand average major leaguer. Uribe same way. The pitching staff for the exception of Buerhle and Garcia entering the '05 season were all average to below.

This '05 team ENTERING the season was a mediocre team judging by recent performance. Ozzie got the most out of this team and falls into the category of making a mediocre team better. We were predicted to finish 3rd and in some cases 4th in the division.

PaulDrake
05-20-2007, 09:58 AM

Hope the same things don't happen to Ozzie. A bulb that burns too bright doesn't last too long. Ozzie is Ditka on steroids.

SOXandILLINI
05-20-2007, 10:01 AM
show me a guy that wins, not necessarily championships, with mediocre talent, or that wins thru alot of adversity , and i will show you a great coach/manager... neither one of these chicago "icons" fits that category.

Wrong. Go back to start of '05 and tell me who you thought was above mediocre talent? Podsednik hit .244 the year before. Iguchi was seen on a video tape. Konerko was very good. Everett was an average major leaguer. Dye coming off an injury. Pierzynski had an average year before. Crede was a mediocre hitter. Rowand average major leaguer. Uribe same way. The pitching staff for the exception of Buerhle and Garcia entering the '05 season were all average to below.

This '05 team ENTERING the season was a mediocre team judging by recent performance. Ozzie got the most out of this team and falls into the category of making a mediocre team better. We were predicted to finish 3rd and in some cases 4th in the division.[/quote]

lol... yeah, and where were we predicted to finish last year? according to your way of thinking we should have won the world series in a cake walk last year, we were predicted to win our division and the pennant by most, and we were better on "paper" than we were in '05. paper means next to nothing, players have career years, you have next to no injuries, bad moves turn out to either work or not kill you. sorry no sale. the 2005 white sox were a talented team of destiny in 2005.

goldglovesox
05-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Nope you totally twisted that. I know paper means nothing. What I was saying was according to you Ozzie has never done anything special. And I am telling you he had a mediocre team when '05 started that he got the absolute most out of and led them to a World Series. Which is something you claim you need to do in order to be heralded as a good manager.

As for last year we still won 90 games. But we played in the best division in baseball. Last year was not a failure on Ozzie's part. The Sox ran into a tough circumstance and would hope you could recognize that. In my experience in the game there is no such thing as luck on the field. There are breaks which you create but in the end it falls on you. You cannot get
lucky and win the World Series chum. You have to be good for 162 games and then another 11 against the best in baseball. Luck and destiny have nothing to do with what happens between the lines. Maybe from the seats that makes a nice story line, but between the lines that cheap **** has no meaning.

So according to you a career year for a player has nothing to do with a manager or anything. It is one of those mysterious naturally occurring phenomena? Save it buddy. Team of Destiny but Ozzie had nothing to do with it? Please.

SOXandILLINI
05-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Nope you totally twisted that. I know paper means nothing. What I was saying was according to you Ozzie has never done anything special. And I am telling you he had a mediocre team when '05 started that he got the absolute most out of and led them to a World Series. Which is something you claim you need to do in order to be heralded as a good manager.

As for last year we still won 90 games. But we played in the best division in baseball. Last year was not a failure on Ozzie's part. The Sox ran into a tough circumstance and would hope you could recognize that. In my experience in the game there is no such thing as luck on the field. There are breaks which you create but in the end it falls on you. You cannot get
lucky and win the World Series chum. You have to be good for 162 games and then another 11 against the best in baseball. Luck and destiny have nothing to do with what happens between the lines. Maybe from the seats that makes a nice story line, but between the lines that cheap **** has no meaning.

So according to you a career year for a player has nothing to do with a manager or anything. It is one of those mysterious naturally occurring phenomena? Save it buddy. Team of Destiny but Ozzie had nothing to do with it? Please.
that team was not mediocre, and to say it was in an insult to that team, talent wise was it the best? in my opinion no, but it was far from mediocre, and for the record, we pitched our asses off in the playoffs and world series. neither you or i could have messed that up.... and as far as your career year statement, that is exactly what i'm saying, steve stone was a slightly above average pitcher over his career, and 1 magical summer he was almost unhittable, there are literally hundreds of such anomolies in baseball, that is one of the things that make it the greatest game in the world. unfortunately these days alot of those career years are in contract years , which leads you to believe some of these guys are going thru the motions until it's time to ink a new deal.

i laugh at your between the lines statement, i guarantee you i spent alot more time between the lines that you did, so save the lecture on between the lines, i lived the better part of my life between the lines before injury, chum..... is that you ozney?

lumpyspun
05-20-2007, 10:45 AM
and ozzies 2005 white sox were an extremely talented team that had all the stars align for them in that given year.

Maybe Ozzie should have brought David Blaine in to pitch instead of Boone Logan yesterday. We should rely on the paranormal.

SOXandILLINI
05-20-2007, 10:50 AM
So they won b/c some stars aligned? Do you also believe in Tarot cards and palm reading?

Maybe Ozzie should have brought David Blaine in to pitch instead of Boone Logan yesterday.
yeah, and villanova belonged in the same building as georgetown, and the reds were better than the a's, and the dodgers were better than the a's... etc.. etc... sometimes, you're just supposed to win... see the 80 u.s hockey team.... as far as your statement, of course not, but i do believe there are things that are just meant to be, and i think most other people do as well.

hawkjt
05-20-2007, 11:03 AM
well, for about 100 years.. the sox were not a team of destiny so the guy that is managing them when that number comes up gets a free pass for at least 5 years... besides the fact that oz has demonstrated he knows what he is doing..

what sox manager have you liked? just curious..

SOXandILLINI
05-20-2007, 11:07 AM
well, for about 100 years.. the sox were not a team of destiny so the guy that is managing them when that number comes up gets a free pass for at least 5 years... besides the fact that oz has demonstrated he knows what he is doing..

what sox manager have you liked? just curious..

managers in general.... sparky anderson... tommy lasorda.. jim leyland, i personally don't like tony larussa, but i think he's a fine manager.... as far as white sox managers, the list is very short... chuck tanner, gene lamont was ok, and i liked jerry manual as a human being.

Grzegorz
05-20-2007, 11:35 AM
I know this will come as a complete shock to one who lives in your monochromatic world; but, there is a big difference between not believing Ozzie should be fired at this point and thinking he has unlimited capital. If I hadn't already observed the consistent, absolutist nature of your thinking, I would be scratching my head wondering how you made such a staggeringly illogical leap.

West,

BTW, you're one to talk about illlogical leaps. How does any fan that backs BA equate BA's talent level to Mickey Mantle's talent level?

Please; people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

goldglovesox
05-20-2007, 11:39 AM
"i laugh at your between the lines statement, i guarantee you i spent alot more time between the lines that you did, so save the lecture on between the lines, i lived the better part of my life between the lines before injury, chum..... is that you ozney?"[/quote]

Yeah you sound like a real baseball guy since you believe a team's success is a matter of destiny and luck.

Aside from the argument, if you are telling the truth I honestly feel bad for you. It is a shame that any athletes career ends due to an injury. So if this really was the case and I believe it was I am sorry to hear that. I was lucky enough to get released while healthy. At least then I knew where I stood. An injury never allows you find out. So on a serious note aside from our pissing contest I feel for you.

Back to our argument: Again you are either deliberately ignoring what I am saying or you do not understand. I said GOING INTO the season it was a mediocre team talent wise. Mediocre as in middle of the road in the American league. I was not insulting that team as you claim. You are blinded by the fact that they won the Series that year. The constant story line all year was how their team chemistry was a main reason for their success. Which if someone were to ask you probably had nothing to do with Ozzie.

SOXandILLINI
05-20-2007, 11:43 AM
well, thank you for that, i appreciate it, but i just don't agree that going into that year we were mediocre, i just don't. i guess we can agree to disagree on that, i liked our chances in the division in '05, i didn't think we'd win the world series, but i really liked the club.... and no i would not say it had nothing to do with ozzie as far as the chemistry was concerned, i will tell you this, and i believe this to be the case, i think personalities such as ozzies and mike ditkas play well in the short term, but get very tiresome quickly, i have played for such guys, and the act gets old soon, and add a little not winning to the equation and it gets out of hand in a hurry.

roadrunner
05-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Maybe Ozzie should have brought David Blaine in to pitch instead of Boone Logan yesterday. We should rely on the paranormal.

any reference to that goon is inherently lame

As for Ozzie:

Obviously, he did a great job in 2005. He was also the recipient, however, of one of the greatest pitching performances in postseason history. Like a previous poster stated, it would have been difficult to screw that up.

I think that we have to consider the possibility that Ozzie has gotten worse as a manager and as a person due to his success in 2005. He was always arrogant but his arrogance has grown to such an extent that it clouds his judgment and makes him an unlikeable human being. He is no longer cute, his excuses (no speak english) are old and his act has grown tiresome. He has become a caricature of himself.

goldglovesox
05-20-2007, 12:20 PM
"i think personalities such as ozzies and mike ditkas play well in the short term, but get very tiresome quickly, i have played for such guys, and the act gets old soon, and add a little not winning to the equation and it gets out of hand in a hurry.[/quote]

I agree to this. Having just moved to work in another organization I can tell you that Ozzie's act is very hard to defend sometimes. For people outside of Chicago he is not a very likeable person. I agree that his act can get old quick if we continue to struggle. But nevertheless I think he did a tremendous job with a team that was not the most talented team. But I also believe his team got hot at the right time near the end of the season which could be or could not be due to anything within his power. We, from outside the clubhouse, will never know. But it may be Ozzie's time to go when you get players or anyone within organization speaking out against his managerial abilities. That has yet to happen, when it does I will thinking its time to move on.

SOXandILLINI
05-20-2007, 12:21 PM

As for Ozzie:

Obviously, he did a great job in 2005. He was also the recipient, however, of one of the greatest pitching performances in postseason history. Like a previous poster stated, it would have been difficult to screw that up.

I think that we have to consider the possibility that Ozzie has gotten worse as a manager and as a person due to his success in 2005. He was always arrogant but his arrogance has grown to such an extent that it clouds his judgment and makes him an unlikeable human being. He is no longer cute, his excuses (no speak english) are old and his act has grown tiresome. He has become a caricature of himself.
for all the people that feel i'm too harsh, here is a much calmer approach, well said roadrunner. i personally don't feel he has gotten worse as a manager, i never felt he was a good manager, but i can see your point. putting aside the managerial part for a second, it irks me to no end that he constantly plays the foreigner card whenever he's in a corner, as i have stated earlier he's been here for 30 years.

FarWestChicago
05-20-2007, 03:13 PM
could not care less if it has become tiresome to you or not, and as far as having an agenda is concerned, i detest the man , plain and simple, both as a human being and as a manager, fortunately detesting someone does not cloud my objectivity...You have no objectivity whatsoever on this subject. You are beyond off the deep end. Don't attempt to fool yourself into thinking you aren't completely irrational about Ozzie. Just give it a rest.

FarWestChicago
05-20-2007, 03:15 PM
West,

BTW, you're one to talk about illlogical leaps. How does any fan that backs BA equate BA's talent level to Mickey Mantle's talent level?

Please; people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.I never equated BA to Mickey Mantle. Some of you REH's claimed he was of that level of talent. What the heck are you talking about? :dunno:

kitekrazy
05-20-2007, 03:40 PM
You have no objectivity whatsoever on this subject. You are beyond off the deep end. Don't attempt to fool yourself into thinking you aren't completely irrational about Ozzie. Just give it a rest.

Some fail to see that this is his 4th season as a manager. They are still quite fallible. He hasn't developed that maturity yet to blow off the media. La Russa had this problem when he started out.

Scottiehaswheels
05-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Some fail to see that this is his 4th season as a manager. They are still quite fallible. He hasn't developed that maturity yet to blow off the media. La Russa had this problem when he started out.There's a difference between getting on the media and calling out a guy that is attempting to stir up trouble in the clubhouse... North was trying to incite problems within the Sox clubhouse... OG was well within his right to get on that moron and tell him off... Why anyone truly believes that blowhard is a Sox fan is beyond me... A true fan wouldn't try to stir up/cause problems in their favorite team's clubhouse.. I don't care what your job is...

champagne030
05-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Some fail to see that this is his 4th season as a manager. They are still quite fallible. He hasn't developed that maturity yet to blow off the media. La Russa had this problem when he started out.

Well, he's in his fourth season and he was completely depantzed by Uncle Lou in this series. Bring in a lefty to face someone, completely without thought that the other manager could make another move, not only once but twice in this series. His lame ass excuse that he didn't think Lee would bat doesn't prevent him from removing Boone once Lee is announced. His stubborn/dumbass mind makes the same mistake again and again....plus he gets baited into letting Sisco face Lee today.

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Well, he's in his fourth season and he was completely depantzed by Uncle Lou in this series. Bring in a lefty to face someone, completely without thought that the other manager could make another move, not only once but twice in this series. His lame ass excuse that he didn't think Lee would bat doesn't prevent him from removing Boone once Lee is announced. His stubborn/dumbass mind makes the same mistake again and again....plus he gets baited into letting Sisco face Lee today.

Are you insane? Ozzie gambled on Lee coming in. Do you really believe it hadn't crossed his mind that Lou would bring him in? Yeah, he could have pulled Logan but then he would have burned a pitcher having not even thrown a pitch.

And today? Lou is really rolling the dice with his best hitter. He reached and was promptly replaced with a pinch runner. Lou got outmanaged today in terms of Lee.

Get a grip.

PaulDrake
05-20-2007, 04:34 PM

As for Ozzie:

I think that we have to consider the possibility that Ozzie has gotten worse as a manager and as a person due to his success in 2005. He was always arrogant but his arrogance has grown to such an extent that it clouds his judgment and makes him an unlikeable human being. He is no longer cute, his excuses (no speak english) are old and his act has grown tiresome. He has become a caricature of himself. I wish I could claim this post as my own, but can't.

ilsox7
05-20-2007, 04:36 PM
His lame ass excuse that he didn't think Lee would bat doesn't prevent him from removing Boone once Lee is announced.

MLB rules do.

champagne030
05-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Are you insane? Ozzie gambled on Lee coming in. Do you really believe it hadn't crossed his mind that Lou would bring him in? Yeah, he could have pulled Logan but then he would have burned a pitcher having not even thrown a pitch.

Yes, I believe that it didn't cross the mind of Ozzie that Lee would come into the game. He admitted as much.

And today? Lou is really rolling the dice with his best hitter. He reached and was promptly replaced with a pinch runner. Lou got outmanaged today in terms of Lee.

Please, Ozzie didn't think Lee would get used that early in the game. And got caught with his pants down again.

FarWestChicago
05-20-2007, 04:37 PM
MLB rules do.Well, champagne isn't one to let facts get in the way of yet another of his patented rants. :smile:

champagne030
05-20-2007, 04:38 PM
MLB rules do.

No, Boone was announced. Then Lee. Ozzie had an option to make a move. You can, however, drink the Kool-Aid and live forever on 2005.

Scottiehaswheels
05-20-2007, 04:40 PM
No, Boone was announced. Then Lee. Ozzie had an option to make a move.MLB rules don't allow you to change a pitcher after he's been announced without at least making one pitch unless the pitcher called in injures himself... otherwise you could see matchups in the 9th innings of games where no one faces no one but you have 7+ pitchers/batters used up

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 04:41 PM

Please, Ozzie didn't think Lee would get used that early in the game. And got caught with his pants down again.

How was he caught with his pants down? Lee walked and was then removed. Best hitter now taken out of the game.

Lou got pantsed on this deal.

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 04:42 PM
No, Boone was announced. Then Lee. Ozzie had an option to make a move. You can, however, drink the Kool-Aid and live forever on 2005.

Or ignore the rules like you are choosing to do.

champagne030
05-20-2007, 04:45 PM
MLB rules don't allow you to change a pitcher after he's been announced without at least making one pitch unless the pitcher called in injures himself... otherwise you could see matchups in the 9th innings of games where no one faces no one but you have 7+ pitchers/batters used up

Yes, one pitch and Logan is gone. Had Ozzie thought a little he would've never brought Logan into the game.

How was he caught with his pants down? Lee walked and was then removed. Best hitter now taken out of the game.

Lou got pantsed on this deal.

Because the most potent hitter on the Flubs had a chance to put them ahead because Ozzie didn't think.

Or ignore the rules like you are choosing to do.

The rules of thinking must run deeper than Ozzie's mind.

Scottiehaswheels
05-20-2007, 04:48 PM
(a) The pitcher named in the batting order handed the umpire-inchief, as provided in Rules 4.01 (a) and 4.01 (b), shall pitch to the first batter or any substitute batter until such batter is put out or reaches first base, unless the pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the judgment of the umpire-in-chief, incapacitates him from pitching.
(b) If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire-in-chief’s judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher.
(c) If an improper substitution is made for the pitcher, the umpire shall direct the proper pitcher to return to the game until the provisions of this rule are fulfilled. If the improper pitcher is permitted to pitch, any play that results is legal. The improper pitcher becomes the proper pitcher as soon as he makes his first pitch to the batter, or as soon as any runner is put out.
Rule 3.05(c) Comment: If a manager attempts to remove a pitcher in violation of Rule 3.05(c) the umpire shall notify the manager of the offending club that it cannot be done. If, by chance, the umpire-in-chief has, through oversight, announced the incoming improper pitcher, he should still correct the situation before the improper pitcher pitches. Once the improper pitcher delivers a pitch he becomes the proper pitcher.

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Because the most potent hitter on the Flubs had a chance to put them ahead because Ozzie didn't think.

Lou was hoping for a Kirk Gibson. It didn't happen and now Lee is out for the rest of the game. And Ozzie is the fool here?

champagne030
05-20-2007, 04:53 PM
(a) The pitcher named in the batting order handed the umpire-inchief, as provided in Rules 4.01 (a) and 4.01 (b), shall pitch to the first batter or any substitute batter until such batter is put out or reaches first base, unless the pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the judgment of the umpire-in-chief, incapacitates him from pitching.
(b) If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire-in-chief’s judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher.
(c) If an improper substitution is made for the pitcher, the umpire shall direct the proper pitcher to return to the game until the provisions of this rule are fulfilled. If the improper pitcher is permitted to pitch, any play that results is legal. The improper pitcher becomes the proper pitcher as soon as he makes his first pitch to the batter, or as soon as any runner is put out.
Rule 3.05(c) Comment: If a manager attempts to remove a pitcher in violation of Rule 3.05(c) the umpire shall notify the manager of the offending club that it cannot be done. If, by chance, the umpire-in-chief has, through oversight, announced the incoming improper pitcher, he should still correct the situation before the improper pitcher pitches. Once the improper pitcher delivers a pitch he becomes the proper pitcher.

:redface: I am corrected that he couldn't replace Boone after one pitch. It still doesn't absolve Ozzie for not seeing the obvious move facing Lee. Would I rather face a sack of crap with one of our better relief pitchers of face Lee with our worst, TWICE???

itsnotrequired
05-20-2007, 04:55 PM
:redface: I am corrected that he couldn't replace Boone after one pitch. It still doesn't absolve Ozzie for not seeing the obvious move facing Lee. Would I rather face a sack of crap with one of our better relief pitchers of face Lee with our worst, TWICE???

Under you logic, Ozzie could never bring in a reliver with Lee on the bench.

Scottiehaswheels
05-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Champagne.. The only reason this is an issue is it ended up being a grand slam... If Boone had gotten the out no one would have cared... We still would have been down a run thanks to the runs that Aardsma allowed... We didn't do crap to get back into the game in the top of the ninth as it was... So does it matter if we lose by 1 or 5? A loss is a loss

champagne030
05-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Champange.. The only reason this is an issue is it ended up being a grand slam... If Boone had gotten the out no one would have cared... We still would have been down a run thanks to the runs that Aardsma allowed... We didn't do crap to get back into the game in the top of the ninth as it was... So does it matter if we lose by 1 or 5? A loss is a loss

It's an issue because it's a fairly obvious move. Would an opposing manager replace their effective LH to bring in a RH to face Pablo when we have Thome available on the bench?

It could have very well been an issue today. Sisco stayed away after the wild pitches and I was happy that he walked him rather than give him a chance to put their team ahead.

Scottiehaswheels
05-20-2007, 05:10 PM
It's an issue because it's a fairly obvious move. Would an opposing manager replace their effective LH to bring in a RH to face Pablo when we have Thome available on the bench?

It could have very well been an issue today. Sisco stayed away after the wild pitches and I was happy that he walked him rather than give him a chance to put their team ahead.True... But Lee has neck problems... Is it worth the risk to bring in one of your key players when you already have a lead? Against a team thats been struggling to score runs? Seems kinda silly to me for Lou to have brought Lee in in that situation with the possible risk of injury that is inherent in doing so... ESPECIALLY when you already hold a lead...

champagne030
05-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Under you logic, Ozzie could never bring in a reliver with Lee on the bench.

No, I just wouldn't bring a LH into the game to get a LH bum out when Lee is waiting in the weeds.

TDog
05-20-2007, 06:00 PM

I think I posted the rule about 100 posts ago. I'm not sure anyone should endure the pain of reading through these losing-to-the-Cubs threads, though.

Whether Guillen expected Lee to be used yesterday is irrelevant to today's game, where Guillen obviously did anticipate the possibility, especially if he brought in a southpaw. He not only got out of the inning with only 1 run scoring, but he challenged Piniella to burn two of his better hitters before the seventh inning. As I saw the play developing, I thought it was a great move, especially since Ward had already hit Masset who has been working in relief all year.

Grzegorz
05-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Lou was hoping for a Kirk Gibson. It didn't happen and now Lee is out for the rest of the game. And Ozzie is the fool here?

This is the second time I heard the Kirk Gibson comparison. One major difference: Gibson did it during the World Series on a bum knee.

That was a much bigger stage... except to the Cub faithful. To them this was the World Series.

MRM
05-20-2007, 07:03 PM

It could have very well been an issue today. Sisco stayed away after the wild pitches and I was happy that he walked him rather than give him a chance to put their team ahead.

Pinella said before the game yesterday that Lee wouldn't be used in this series at all. Said he just wasn't willing to take the chance for 1 AB. Not to mention that Lee had all of 2 HR all year prior to the granny yesterday. It's REAL easy to criticize a decision AFTER THE FACT.

roadrunner
05-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Pinella said before the game yesterday that Lee wouldn't be used in this series at all. Said he just wasn't willing to take the chance for 1 AB. Not to mention that Lee had all of 2 HR all year prior to the granny yesterday. It's REAL easy to criticize a decision AFTER THE FACT.

1. Pinella had both you and Ozzie fooled by that statement. If Ozzie did in fact believe him then that's just about as weak as failing to forsee the move. The fact that he was on the active roster is a pretty good indication that he's available.

2. The fact that he only had 2 HR is irrelevant. He's a plenty accomplished hitter and he was hitting .390.

I think that the posting of criticism came AFTER THE FACT. I'm sure plenty of fans were puzzled by that move as it was happening. (I know I was)

lumpyspun
05-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Let's get this thread back on track. For those of you that missed my link to the complaint website for indecency to the FCC, here it is again:

LINK (http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cib/fcc475B.cfm)

It only takes about a minute and it's kind of fun b/c you can describe what happened in the remarks section.

Let's get this clown (North) fined and fired.

MRM
05-20-2007, 08:52 PM
1. Pinella had both you and Ozzie fooled by that statement. If Ozzie did in fact believe him then that's just about as weak as failing to forsee the move. The fact that he was on the active roster is a pretty good indication that he's available.

2. The fact that he only had 2 HR is irrelevant. He's a plenty accomplished hitter and he was hitting .390.

I think that the posting of criticism came AFTER THE FACT. I'm sure plenty of fans were puzzled by that move as it was happening. (I know I was)

Fans being puzzled neither surprises nor concerns me. "The fact that he was on the active roster..." is silly. Lee didn't need a trip to the DL so OF COURSE he was still on the active roster, even if there was no intention to use him. To DL him over a couple of days would be beyond stupid. Pinch hitting him, in that situation (with the lead), was taking an unneccesary chance on the part of Pinella, IMO. I'd be questioning HIS move, not Guillens.

You might recall a couple of games where Thome was unavailable even though he was "on the active roster" earlier this year. If a guys injury is only going to keep him out for a few days you do NOT put him on the DL for two weeks when he is a critical part of your team. To think Guillen or I or anyone else should assume Lou was lying when he emphatically said Lee would not be playing in this series because it wasn't worth the risk is silly. You are now asking Ozzie to manage against all available information and guess.

Not that it mattered anyhow. THE CUBS ALREADY HAD THE LEAD, and the Sox didn't score in the 9th.

czer25
05-20-2007, 09:38 PM
no matter what your feeling on mike north is, filing an fcc complaint against the guy is pretty pathetic. ozzie was the one who broke the rules of swearing on the radio and this is not going to get north fired. if anything the score will be fined. i think you should redirect your anger to something more worthwhile than trying to get a radio host you hate fired.
Let's get this thread back on track. For those of you that missed my link to the complaint website for indecency to the FCC, here it is again:

LINK (http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cib/fcc475B.cfm)

It only takes about a minute and it's kind of fun b/c you can describe what happened in the remarks section.

Let's get this clown (North) fined and fired.

FarWestChicago
05-20-2007, 10:33 PM
no matter what your feeling on mike north is, filing an fcc complaint against the guy is pretty pathetic. ozzie was the one who broke the rules of swearing on the radio and this is not going to get north fired. if anything the score will be fined. i think you should redirect your anger to something more worthwhile than trying to get a radio host you hate fired.That's a great first post. It's obvious you have a lot to offer this site.

lumpyspun
05-20-2007, 10:39 PM
no matter what your feeling on mike north is, filing an fcc complaint against the guy is pretty pathetic. ozzie was the one who broke the rules of swearing on the radio and this is not going to get north fired. if anything the score will be fined. i think you should redirect your anger to something more worthwhile than trying to get a radio host you hate fired.

Mike North and The Score have what is called a "dump button." It is their responsibility to use it when a caller on their show curses.
Ozzie broke no rules by swearing over the phone, Mike North and the Score broke the rules for letting it get out over the public airwaves.

I do not make the rules, the FCC does. The FCC has deemed certain words not decent to say over the airwaves. It is up to the station and the host of the show to make sure those words don't make it out over the waves.

It is within my right to file a complaint online.

I will also admit that the words do not offend me, as I use most of them throughout the course of a normal day. I never said I hated Mike North, I called him a clown. I do hate the FCC and how they pick and choose who they want to fine. I moan to the FCC so that they either change their policies or be consistent with their policies. I'm sorry if I like to hold government agencies accountable.

czer25
05-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Mike North and The Score have what is called a "dump button." It is their responsibility to use it when a caller on their show curses.
Ozzie broke no rules by swearing over the phone, Mike North and the Score broke the rules for letting it get out over the public airwaves.

I do not make the rules, the FCC does. The FCC has deemed certain words not decent to say over the airwaves. It is up to the station and the host of the show to make sure those words don't make it out over the waves.

It is within my right to file a complaint online.

I will also admit that the words do not offend me, as I use most of them throughout the course of a normal day. I never said I hated Mike North, I called him a clown. I do hate the FCC and how they pick and choose who they want to fine. I moan to the FCC so that they either change their policies or be consistent with their policies. I'm sorry if I like to hold government agencies accountable.

I fully understand the concept of a dump button and I have no idea why it wasn't pressed. Since North was on a remote, he does not have a dump button with him so I assume it is the producers responsibility. I wasn't saying it wasn't your right to make a complaint. From reading through all these posts though, I felt this guy was saying tofile a complaint because North is an idiot and not because he was offended. I just felt it was more of people being malicious than people being offended and that's what I have issue with.

czer25
05-20-2007, 11:00 PM
That's a great first post. It's obvious you have a lot to offer this site.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic and I'm going to assume that you are. I've read and enjoyed this site for the last couple of years and I felt compelled to post because I disagreed with what was being said. I very rarely listen to North (mostly a satellite radio listener), but I strongly disagreed with someone soliciting FCC complaints.