PDA

View Full Version : FOX and ESPN admit they love New York

Fenway
05-18-2007, 08:30 AM
what a shock

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/18/sports/baseball/18sandomir.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

Bill Wanger, the senior vice president for research and programming at Fox Sports, said that the map of the United States favored Mets-Yankees, bringing those games to more viewers. Tomorrow, 76 percent of the country will see Mets-Yankees at 3:30 p.m. Eastern time, and 23 percent will get the White Sox-Cubs. (This year, Fox moved to one broadcast exposure, cutting to two or three regionalized games, which will squeeze out some matchups.)

“With Yankees-Mets, you get the whole Eastern Seaboard,” Wanger said in a telephone interview.

“With the Cubs-White Sox, you can make a circle around the Midwest, and then it’s a tossup out west, although we feel at this time that the Yankee-Mets has a little more appeal there.”

sox1970
05-18-2007, 08:34 AM
*******s

palehozenychicty
05-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Does a bear **** in the woods?:rolleyes:

kobo
05-18-2007, 08:44 AM
They think 76% of the country gives a **** about 2 NY teams? What a ****ing joke.

sox1970
05-18-2007, 08:45 AM
They think 76% of the country gives a **** about 2 NY teams? What a ****ing joke.

The ratings for the 2000 World Series are proof nobody cares.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-18-2007, 09:02 AM
And, in other news -

The sun rose again in the east today - right over the God Blessed ESPN campus in Connecticut.....its glorious light also shone into those venerable baseball stadiums, pristine and untouched by time....Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park.

Iwritecode
05-18-2007, 10:08 AM
“With the Cubs-White Sox, you can make a circle around the Midwest, and then it’s a tossup out west, although we feel at this time that the Yankee-Mets has a little more appeal there.”

Did they forget that both the Sox and Cubs have spring training out west? :?:

gosiu
05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
But do they actually give two ****s about two Chicago teams? That remains to be seen.

ondafarm
05-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm shocked that 23% of the country gets the Sox-Cubs game.

Uncle_Patrick
05-18-2007, 10:54 AM

Are you forgetting that New York is the center of the known universe? Everyone cares.

BanditJimmy
05-18-2007, 10:58 AM
what a shock

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/18/sports/baseball/18sandomir.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

Where the hell is Bud Selig on this?

This is not good for baseball if a television network you have exclusive contracts with can only market two of your teams. What does this do for the rest of the league?

tebman
05-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm shocked that 23% of the country gets the Sox-Cubs game.

http://www.movieactors.com/photos/casablanca145.jpeg

"I'm shocked -- shocked that there's a Yankee-Red Sox preference!"

Paulwny
05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
It's all about the ratings.

From Sports Media Watch:
FOX and ESPN would love to see the Yankees and Red Sox play every week for the rest of time. The 3.3 overnight is once again higher than the overnight for an NBA Playoff game (Bulls/Heat)

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2007/04/weekend-ratings_30.html

Fenway
05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
It's all about the ratings.

From Sports Media Watch:
FOX and ESPN would love to see the Yankees and Red Sox play every week for the rest of time. The 3.3 overnight is once again higher than the overnight for an NBA Playoff game (Bulls/Heat)

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2007/04/weekend-ratings_30.html

Maybe the Red Sox and Yankees should just play 162 games with each other and then have a playoff to see who plays the winner of the other 28 teams. :tongue:

Steelrod
05-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Where the hell is Bud Selig on this?

This is not good for baseball if a television network you have exclusive contracts with can only market two of your teams. What does this do for the rest of the league?
It is not baseball's call, it's totally up to the networks.

areilly
05-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm really surprised there isn't more of a spotlight on the Dodgers/Angels series.

palehozenychicty
05-18-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm really surprised there isn't more of a spotlight on the Dodgers/Angels series.

Me too. Those games are usually good ones.

MarySwiss
05-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Did they forget that both the Sox and Cubs have spring training out west? :?:

And that people from Chicago tend to retire to Arizona and California while people from New York tend to retire to Florida?

What kills me is that even if New York-fest were to be rained out, I'd bet that we still wouldn't get Sox/Cubs. We'd get either an infomercial or some old--pardon me, "historic," Red Sox/Yankees game.

SoxFan78
05-19-2007, 08:21 AM
I love how in the article they mention that Yankees/Mets brings in the most viewers. THATS BECAUSE YOU SHOW IT TO MORE PEOPLE!!!

Why doesnt MLB just put one game nationally and let every other game be shown on EI? It makes no sense that over 70% of the country will not be able to see the White Sox game today.

The Racehorse
05-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Today the sun rose in the East. Later this evening, it'll set in the West.

Fenway
05-19-2007, 08:29 AM

We told we may see the Sun next on Monday ( maybe )

Boston supposed to play 2 today, they will be lucky to get one in.

TommyJohn
05-19-2007, 09:02 AM

I thought it rose and set on New York. Am I missing something?

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2007, 09:11 AM
And that people from Chicago tend to retire to Arizona and California while people from New York tend to retire to Florida?

It's the same thing here. There are far more "transplants" from the Midwest than from the Northeast living in Texas. Yet we consistently get Yankees and Red Sox games in Dallas-Fort Worth.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-19-2007, 08:23 PM
I thought it rose and set on New York. Am I missing something?

The sun never sets on the Yankee empire.

gosiu
05-19-2007, 08:36 PM

What kills me is that even if New York-fest were to be rained out, I'd bet that we still wouldn't get Sox/Cubs. We'd get either an infomercial or some old--pardon me, "historic," Red Sox/Yankees game.
Seriously, think about what you're saying. Why would they either a) give up control of the airtime to their affiliates or b) dig up an old game (something they probably have zero access to) when they have a better (and easier) option of airing another live baseball game?

Don't forget, it's the Cubs in the other game. Why show an infomercial when they could show a live game with a team that has a "large national fanbase"?

lumpyspun
05-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Hopefully their ratings were really low today with the Yanks/Mets game. They had some competition with the Preakness and golf. I know I didn't watch a pitch of the game.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2007, 01:16 AM
Maybe the Red Sox and Yankees should just play 162 games with each other and then have a playoff to see who plays the winner of the other 28 teams. :tongue:
http://www.profbob.com/images/Bud%20Selig%202.jpgHmmm. Let me think about that. That's not bad!

MarySwiss
05-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Seriously, think about what you're saying. Why would they either a) give up control of the airtime to their affiliates or b) dig up an old game (something they probably have zero access to) when they have a better (and easier) option of airing another live baseball game?

Don't forget, it's the Cubs in the other game. Why show an infomercial when they could show a live game with a team that has a "large national fanbase"?

(Sigh.) Once again, I figured the comment was sarcastic enough that no teal was needed. When will I learn?

gosiu
05-20-2007, 01:15 PM
With the extreme hated we all have for FOX, I figured that's what you really thought would happen.

Sorry.

MarySwiss
05-20-2007, 01:30 PM
With the extreme hated we all have for FOX, I figured that's what you really thought would happen.

Sorry.

No apology needed. We fine! :wink:

Fenway
05-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Y'all may find this amusing

Yankees fans are complaining about ESPN :tongue:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?p=4143372#post4143372