PDA

View Full Version : Grobber's Picks for this weekend.

Grobber33
05-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Plus more than you want(or need)to know about this rivalry.
www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com)

I will miss only my third Cross-Town game Sunday since I'll be in NYC for the first Sky broadcast in the afternoon,but...I'll go to Mets-Yanks Sunday night at Shea. Not the same to se sure!

MarySwiss
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Plus more than you want(or need)to know about this rivalry.
www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com)

I will miss only my third Cross-Town game Sunday since I'll be in NYC for the first Sky broadcast in the afternoon,but...I'll go to Mets-Yanks Sunday night at Shea. Not the same to se sure!

Well, I hope you're wrong about Sunday. I'm getting sick and tired of writing those losing TBGRs! :(:

ondafarm
05-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Starting pitching is an advantage to the Cubs?

Yeah right?!

Grobber33
05-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Starting pitching is an advantage to the Cubs?

Yeah right?!

Remember,,this is not for the season,,it's based on what's available for the weekend,,and it takes into account that Contreras is on 3 days rest and coming off a bad outing. Buehrle has had his problems against the Cubs and Vazquez is,well Vazquez.
Right now the Cubs appear to have a slight advantage in that department.
Of course you aren't looking at this objectively are you? You want me to just give the Sox the edge in every dept! Sorry,,,,NOT HAPPENING! I'm being honest here.

MarySwiss
05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Remember,,this is not for the season,,it's based on what's available for the weekend,,and it takes into account that Contreras is on 3 days rest and coming off a bad outing. Buehrle has had his problems against the Cubs and Vazquez is,well Vazquez.
Of course you aren't looking at this objectively are you? You want me to just give the Sox the edge in every dept! Sorry,,,,NOT HAPPENING! I'm being honest here.
He's not supposed to. "Completely Unobjective," remember? :D:

Grobber33
05-18-2007, 08:55 AM
He's not supposed to. "Completely Unobjective," remember? :D:

True,and RESPECTED on my part---but that dosen't apply to me(right?).

ondafarm
05-18-2007, 09:29 AM

To be honest, "Of course you aren't looking at this objectively are you?" applies more to you than to me. You have Cub fans who read your column.

Contreras, the former golden arm of Cuba has pitched as close as back to back days, he'll be fine on three days rest.

And unless you haven't noticed it in the past, the news for you is this: major league pitchers tend to experience hog cycles as far as good outings/ bad outings. They do have a general trend upward or downward, but saying "So-n-so had a good outing last times means he'll have a good outing this time" is counterpredictive.

Here's an objective analysis:
Friday: Best shot for a Cubs victory in the series. Lily has seen almost all of the Sox hitters before and is a soft-tossing lefty, the kind that has been giving the Sox fits this year. Buehrle has been throwing too many gopher balls and in Wrigley, that's not good news. Still, he'll keep the Sox in the game and if the Sox can figure Lilly out, that'll decide the game.

Sat: Marquis has beaten SD, Pit, twice and STL twice and got roughed up by the Mets and Houston. The Sox offense is more like the latter group than the former. JV has beaten Min and Cle while Sea and KC have gotten him. Marquis is a journeyman, JV a head-case thoroughbred. If JV gets up for mowing down the Cubs, and it is a big series for the Sox, then game 2 goes to the Sox easily.

Sun: Two up and down guys face off, one expecting a down, one expecting an up. Zambrano has given up 11 HR in 54.1 IP, Contreras 4 HR in 47 IP. Expect one or two long balls from the Sox, who love fastballs just like Z throws.

SP advantage here: White Sox, by plenty.

Grobber33
05-18-2007, 09:42 AM
[quote=ondafarm;1576403]To be honest, "Of course you aren't looking at this objectively are you?" applies more to you than to me. You have Cub fans who read your column.

It does not matter a bit if it's Cubs or Sox Fans that read it. It's not designed to make either set of biased Fans happy. I get plenty of emails from Cub Fans who want me to 'suck up' to the Cubs,,,,and oh,by the way,,from Sox Fans who want me to do the same thing about the Southsiders.
Not my intention,not my plan,and since it's a web site I have total control over,not my requirement.

But I do respect you breakdown and oppinion! We'll have to AGREE to DISAGREE on the starting pitching. I dont see you arguing about my BULLPENS breakdown! Not even Cub Fans would do that,

ondafarm
05-18-2007, 09:47 AM
[quote=ondafarm;1576403]To be honest, "Of course you aren't looking at this objectively are you?" applies more to you than to me. You have Cub fans who read your column.

I could not care a bit if Cubs or Sox Fans read it. It's not designed to make either set of biased Fans happy. I get plenty of emails from Cub Fans who want me to 'suck up' to the Cubs,,,,and oh,by the way,,from Sox Fans who want me to do the same thing about the Southsiders.
Not my intention,not my plan,and since it's a web site I have total control over,not my requirement.

But I do respect you breakdown and oppinion! We'll have to AGREE to DISAGREE on the starting pitching. I dont see you arguing about my BULLPENS breakdown! Not even Cub Fans would do that,

As a former minor league catcher (3 years Dragons organization) I can well relate to how the Cubs catcher's must feel. Doing my analysis, I saw that the Cubs SP was better than I expected, a lot of quality starts out there. You work and work the SP to get it into the 7th with a lead and then you bring in a relief guy who underhands a ball in which gets deposited with a hot dog vendor working the bleachers or the souvenir guy across the street. You go out and just want to club the guy. At least Sweet Lou is yanking his SPs at the end of innings giving the loss to the bullpen as opposed to inherited runners scoring and losing games for SPs. NL rules with pinch hitters may make for some of that.

Iwritecode
05-18-2007, 09:52 AM
I dont see you arguing about my BULLPENS breakdown! Not even Cub Fans would do that,

That's probably because the Cubs bullpen = broken down. :D:

Grobber33
05-18-2007, 09:54 AM
That's probably because the Cubs bullpen = broken down. :D:

TOUCHEE!!

It's not even THAT good!

soxfan13
05-18-2007, 09:59 AM
[quote=Grobber33;1576424]

As a former minor league catcher (3 years Dragons organization) I can well relate to how the Cubs catcher's must feel. Doing my analysis, I saw that the Cubs SP was better than I expected, a lot of quality starts out there. You work and work the SP to get it into the 7th with a lead and then you bring in a relief guy who underhands a ball in which gets deposited with a hot dog vendor working the bleachers or the souvenir guy across the street. You go out and just want to club the guy. At least Sweet Lou is yanking his SPs at the end of innings giving the loss to the bullpen as opposed to inherited runners scoring and losing games for SPs. NL rules with pinch hitters may make for some of that.

You played minor league ball?:tongue:

DrCrawdad
05-18-2007, 10:41 AM
''But the last couple of years, there's been more Sox fans there than Cubs fans, so they've kind of taken it over. It's been interesting to see the dynamics of the crowd. That's a good sign. It means there are a lot of Sox fans and we've converted some people.'' - AJ

And at the news of that Grobber's ...

http://www.dac-editions.com/artes%201/vaielusiv1.jpg

I like Grobber. While Grobber may not be the usual Cubbie fan pollanna, he is nonetheless a Cubbie fan and anything but fair and balanced when it comes to reporting on Cubs vs. Sox matters.

DrCrawdad
05-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Remember,,this is not for the season,,it's based on what's available for the weekend,,and it takes into account that Contreras is on 3 days rest and coming off a bad outing.

6.2 IP
2 ER

itsnotrequired
05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
6.2 IP
2 ER

100 pitches.

SBSoxFan
05-18-2007, 11:04 AM
6.2 IP
2 ER

Not a bad outing.

Dick Allen
05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Nice Yorkies, Les. We only have one, she wouldn't want to share attention with any others.

DrCrawdad
05-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Cubs Fans want to win these games, but Sox Fans always considered it a 'Life & Death'(sic)situation, and many in the Sox Front Office feel the same way, but with a 'Ring' and Trophy,, even if the Cubs were to stun the World and win 5 or 6 of these games,, Sox Fans would still have final bragging rights,,, and besides, the Cubs are losing series to bad teams right now, much less a club like the Sox.....

Les, do you still honestly believe that these games mean MORE to Sox fans NOW than they do to Cubbie fans? That's simply not true anymore, at least not in my experience. Of course Cubbie fans still cling to what they cherish, the attendance championship. We Sox fans have the ultimate bragging right, a World Championship!

DrCrawdad
05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Not a bad outing.

I didn't say it but I agree. I wonder if Les has called similar outings by Cubbie pitchers "bad outings."

voodoochile
05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Les, do you still honestly believe that these games mean MORE to Sox fans NOW than they do to Cubbie fans? That's simply not true anymore, at least not in my experience. Of course Cubbie fans still cling to what they cherish, the attendance championship. We Sox fans have the ultimate bragging right, a World Championship!

I think that was his point...

jdm2662
05-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Um, I think he was implying that.

DrCrawdad
05-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Um, I think he was implying that.

I can see where you'd say that. However, knowing Les, it's my impression that he believes that these game still mean more to Sox fans than Cubbie fans. Cubbies win 2 of 3 or somehow manage a sweep and Cubbie fans will be celebrating like it's a World Championship.

voodoochile
05-18-2007, 11:59 AM
I can see where you'd say that. However, knowing Les, it's my impression that he believes that these game still mean more to Sox fans than Cubbie fans. Cubbies win 2 of 3 or somehow manage a sweep and Cubbie fans will be celebrating like it's a World Championship.

Put the shades down and step away from the keyboard. Your bias is showing, Mrs. Freud...:tongue:

daveeym
05-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Put the shades down and step away from the keyboard. Your bias is showing, Mrs. Freud...:tongue:
Nah, grobber's tenses are all over the place on the quoted passage. It's hard to tell what he's saying. Is he saying Cubs fans want it more now but could never match the life or death view sox fans USED to have? Or Sox fans still want it more but it's just not the life or death situation since winning the WS?

hawkjt
05-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Jose had a solid outing that would have been spotless with better defensive play the other day... erstad misplayed the one that resulted in earned runs..

I like the sox starters over cub starters for this series.. wind blowing in today.. advantage burls.. wind blowing out tomorrow and sunday.. advantage javvy and jose... sox will hit homers on sat and sunday.. no homers for either side today.

DrCrawdad
05-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Nah, grobber's tenses are all over the place on the quoted passage. It's hard to tell what he's saying. Is he saying Cubs fans want it more now but could never match the life or death view sox fans USED to have? Or Sox fans still want it more but it's just not the life or death situation since winning the WS?

I'm with you. With due respect to Grobber, it's a difficult read. I am simply asking Grobber to clarify.

Grobber, do you believe that this series means more to Sox fans than Cub fans?

wdelaney72
05-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Ondafarm's analysis is right on the money. Sox take games 2 & 3.

DrCrawdad
05-20-2007, 10:40 PM
I was out of town and just saw a replay of the Saturday game and then Grobber's recap:

Then it was Crede's turn to 'use' the jet stream, only his drive was to LF and also just cleared into the basket for his 4th homer. - Les Grobstein

The ball landed in the chain-link fan restraint system after it hit off the chest of a Cubbie fan sitting in the front row of the bleachers.

Grobber continuing a long tradition of degrading Sox HR at The Shrine.

According to Grobber, if a Sox player hits a HR at The Shrine it's wind aided and (an implied) cheap/lucky shot into chain-link fan restraint system.

Grobber33
05-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I was out of town and just saw a replay of the Saturday game and then Grobber's recap:

The ball landed in the chain-link fan restraint system after it hit off the chest of a Cubbie fan sitting in the front row of the bleachers.

Grobber continuing a long tradition of degrading Sox HR at The Shrine.

According to Grobber, if a Sox player hits a HR at The Shrine it's wind aided and (an implied) cheap/lucky shot into chain-link fan restraint system.

Oh,,,I get it. Its OK with you for me to write this:
"The Cubs tied it in the 5th when Barrett went the other way and used the jet stream which took his drive into the RF Bleachers."

But not if a Sox player does the same thing? Gimme a friggin break and grow up Doc. I picked your team to win two of three.
It's not my fault that A)Pablo & Toby GAVE the Friday game to the Cubs,, or B)The Sox Bullpen imitated the Cubs Pen on Saturday!

One last thing,,,,what is the web site called? I thought it was GROBBERNET(meaning it's mine)not CRAWDADNET!! I am the one who is writing on the site,,but you can always submit something that I would be willing to post on the home page! Think about it!

Still love you tho Doc!!!

DrCrawdad
05-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Oh,,,I get it. Its OK with you for me to write this:

"The Cubs tied it in the 5th when Barrett went the other way and used the jet stream which took his drive into the RF Bleachers."

But not if a Sox player does the same thing? Gimme a friggin break and grow up Doc. I picked your team to win two of three.

3 Yes/No Questions:

1. Did you state that Crede's HR was a "basket" shot? (yes or no)
2. Was it a "basket" shot? (yes or no)
3. Do you, like a certain ST columnist, believe that the Crosstown series means more at the present time to Sox fans than to Cubbie fans? (yes or no)

One last thing,,,,what is the web site called? I thought it was GROBBERNET(meaning it's mine)not CRAWDADNET!! I am the one who is writing on the site,,but you can always submit something that I would be willing to post on the home page! Think about it!

It's your website, obviously, but I am allowed to criticize your comments regardless of where they appear.

Regarding posting something on your site, I'm open to it. Email me and let me know what the subject should be.

Still love you tho Doc!!!

No, you're the man!

:)