PDA

View Full Version : Are the Red Sox that good?

Fenway
05-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Boston just took 3 of 4 from the Kitties and now have a 9 1/2 game lead in the East. Are they for real? I have my doubts but the Tiger series ends the soft schedule remarks.

Iwritecode
05-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Boston just took 3 of 4 from the Kitties and now have a 9 1/2 game lead in the East. Are they for real? I have my doubts but the Tiger series ends the soft schedule remarks.

Who have the Tigers really played? I'm seeing a lot of Baltimore, KC and Seattle. Plus Minnesota who hasn't been real good so far this year.

balke
05-18-2007, 12:23 AM
The best 1-2 punch in baseball, with JD Drew not injured, a decent CF with a little speed, Mike Lowell loving Fenway, Lugo adding speed, and some great pitching.

Looks good. I don't know if Lowell and JD's backs will hold up all season, how Long Beckett is out, and if defense will be an issue. They look about where they should be though.

PeteWard
05-18-2007, 12:27 AM
They are good and will almost certainly win their division but I don't think their pitching will stay so hot.
I'd have to call them the AL favorites now so I guess they are pretty damn good. I think the AL Central champ might be better but the comp is tougher, which will lead to fewer wins... so I think Boston will get home field. In which case they will be hard to beat.

I think I will go vomit now.

StillMissOzzie
05-18-2007, 01:55 AM

Soft schedule? How about a soft division? As I type this, there is but ONE team over .500 in the AL East, that being the Red Sox. IF (and that might be a big IF) the Yankees don't continue to stink up the joint, they might yet make it a two horse race, but I don't see much competition from the Blue Jays and their decimated roatation, the inconsistent Orioles, and the perenially bad Devel Rays. The AL Central, on the other hand, has 3 of 5 over .500, (and I wouldn't count out the Twins just yet) and the AL West has 3 of 4 at or above .500. The Red Sox should thank Bud and the unbalanced schedule.

SMO
:gulp:

WhiteSox5187
05-18-2007, 03:08 AM
I think the Red Sox are a good team but as SMO pointed out, they play in a bad division and are hardly the best team in baseball...but I have a hard time seeing the Yankees play this bad all year, so I think that at some point the Red Sox will cool off and the Yankees will make in interesting. I don't think the Red Sox are going to run away with it.

DumpJerry
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Soft schedule? How about a soft division?
Amen to that. The Yanks have a little-league pitching crew backing up a stellar line up, Toronto and Tampa are non-entities.

The Kitties have injury problems right now, I'm sure that contributed to the outcomes this week.

soxfanatlanta
05-18-2007, 08:57 AM

They are playing pretty good ball right now in a soft division. They just lost Beckett for 15 days, let's see how they respond.

Fenway
05-18-2007, 09:25 AM
I think the Red Sox are a good team but as SMO pointed out, they play in a bad division and are hardly the best team in baseball...but I have a hard time seeing the Yankees play this bad all year, so I think that at some point the Red Sox will cool off and the Yankees will make in interesting. I don't think the Red Sox are going to run away with it.

Nobody thought the Yankees would take this long to get untracked and that Toronto would implode.

Obviously Boston should be better than most because of what they spend in payroll. Boston spends because NYY spends but even Red Sox fans questioned the Drew contract.

Funny thing is Boston really has not been hitting that well. Only Lowell is batting above .300 ( and Cora when he plays ) If the weather ever warms up the offense should get better.
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=bos

Bottom line is Boston has been getting a lot of quality starts and thus not having to go to middle relief. Hideki Okajima has been outstanding. Since he first ever MLB pitch was belted out of Kaufman Stadium on Opening Day he hasn't given up anything and has been the perfect setup man for Papelbon.

Okajima cleans up in spotless fashion (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/05/18/okajima_cleans_up_in_spotless_fashion)

Boston and the Yankees play 6 times in the next couple of weeks and the Red Sox really have the chance to knock out the Yankees.

Iwritecode
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Obviously Boston should be better than most because of what they spend in payroll.

You didn't just type that did you? Come on now, you're smarter than that. You've seen the Cubs payroll right?

PKalltheway
05-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Are they for real?
Yes. If they play .500 ball the rest of the way, they'll finish with 89 wins. That being said, I think that they will play well above .500 the rest of the way. That is, if JD Drew and Josh Beckett can both stay healthy, which is saying a lot.

At this point, I would say that it would be more of a suprise if they DIDN'T win the division. For what it's worth, the Red Sox are off to the same start that our 2005 White Sox got off to (28-12).

SBSoxFan
05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Yes. If they play .500 ball the rest of the way, they'll finish with 89 wins. That being said, I think that they will play well above .500 the rest of the way. That is, if JD Drew and Josh Beckett can both stay healthy, which is saying a lot.

At this point, I would say that it would be more of a suprise if they DIDN'T win the division.

Isn't Drew on the DL now, or just hurt?

PKalltheway
05-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Isn't Drew on the DL now, or just hurt?
From what I saw on their website, he's still on their active roster.

Fenway
05-18-2007, 11:50 AM
From what I saw on their website, he's still on their active roster.

he is day to day

He banged himself pretty good the other night when he hit the bullpen wall

Right now we may get 2 days off as we have one of those rain fronts the North Atlantic is infamous for

SBSoxFan
05-18-2007, 11:58 AM
he is day to day

:farmer
"Just like the rest of us."

INSox56
05-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah right now I'd say that they're really good (though I agree with the Tigers' soft schedule being an absolute joke). I also agree that I don't think that pitching will hold up as it is now.

Fenway
05-29-2007, 11:21 PM
I am stunned at what has happened. Boston now 21 games over 500 after 51. NYY is 14 1/2 back. They are now 5-1 with the Tribe and Kitties. Yet they have major flaws...I am at a loss to explain it except to say pitching has been the key.

MUsoxfan
05-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Well Fens, when you're the dog with the least fleas in a division..good things will happen:tongue:

I'm actually starting to think the Red Sox really are that good.

Fenway
05-29-2007, 11:44 PM
Well Fens, when you're the dog with the least fleas in a division..good things will happen:tongue:

I'm actually starting to think the Red Sox really are that good.

We have played everybody except Tampa and the White Sox. Cleveland was red hot coming into Fenway and Boston takes first 2. 4 months to the playoffs but Boston looks like a lock to be in. Seriously fans do not know how to deal with this.

Patrick134
05-29-2007, 11:49 PM
We have played everybody except Tampa and the White Sox. Cleveland was red hot coming into Fenway and Boston takes first 2. 4 months to the playoffs but Boston looks like a lock to be in. Seriously fans do not know how to deal with this.

The red sox could win 110 games in that division, but could still be meat in the playoffs. Beckett is great, but schilling and the japanese pitcher could be rocked in the postseason.

Fenway
05-30-2007, 12:05 AM
The red sox could win 110 games in that division, but could still be meat in the playoffs. Beckett is great, but schilling and the japanese pitcher could be rocked in the postseason.

Give Boston home field in playoffs they will be tough. It is insane to talk this way in May but they appear to be home free.

PKalltheway
05-30-2007, 02:11 AM
The red sox could win 110 games in that division, but could still be meat in the playoffs.
Exactly. After seeing what the Cardinals did last year, you could say that about any heavily-favored playoff team. It doesn't matter how good you were in the regular season once the playoffs start. The 2001 Mariners can attest to that.

It's still early though. Boston hasn't won anything yet. They could at least go for the kill against the Yankees this weekend by either taking two of three or sweeping them.

Fenway
05-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Exactly. After seeing what the Cardinals did last year, you could say that about any heavily-favored playoff team. It doesn't matter how good you were in the regular season once the playoffs start. The 2001 Mariners can attest to that.

It's still early though. Boston hasn't won anything yet. They could at least go for the kill against the Yankees this weekend by either taking two of three or sweeping them.

The Yankees almost have to sweep now which makes Roger skipping Fenway a curious move.

A. Cavatica
05-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Beckett is great, but schilling and the japanese pitcher could be rocked in the postseason.

What, you didn't see his name in print enough times?

downstairs
05-30-2007, 09:45 AM

They're 36-15. Playing .706 ball. That's damn good, case closed. No soft schedule or soft division gives any team that sort of performance.

Yes, they are very for real.

downstairs
05-30-2007, 09:47 AM
The Yankees almost have to sweep now which makes Roger skipping Fenway a curious move.

Curious what?

Lemme help remove some of that curiousity:

$$$$$$$$$

soxfan13
05-30-2007, 10:36 AM
I am eating crow on this, I honestly thought that they would be decent but their pitching would be questionable. Boy I was wrong..........so far:D:

Scottiehaswheels
05-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Eh last year we were 57-31 at one point... and that was in a tough division... I have a feeling we'll see the other Sox hit a nice 8-10 game skid here this year...

Sportscaster17
05-30-2007, 10:45 AM

Cleveland wasn't red hot coming into Fenway. Both Grady Sizemore and Travis Hafner hadn't hit consistently in weeks and Boston was seeing the Indians' two most inconsistent starting pitchers in the first two games. I realize the Indians were coming off a sweep in Detroit but before that we'd dropped two of three in Kansas City.

Fenway
05-30-2007, 04:01 PM
As I said earlier Red Sox fans don't know how to handle this...we are so used to either looking right behind us or looking up that this kind of lead is beyond our comprehension.

and the team has problems

leadoff man Lugo batting .230
Crisp .234
Drew .232

Pena is clogging up a roster spot

but you can have hitting problems when you get good pitching and that is one thing Boston has plenty of