PDA

View Full Version : Add this to the "I Don't Miss Freddy" file

PeteWard
05-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the memories. And glad you are gone.
Pretty selfish sentiments. He was at 117 pitches, in trouble and it's not as if he's been having a great year. Reminds me of that no run support whining last year,

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070517&content_id=1971218&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

MetroPD
05-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Sounds to me like he wants to pitch. You can't really fault the guy for wanting to continue to compete.

Brian26
05-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Pretty selfish sentiments. He was at 117 pitches, in trouble and it's not as if he's been having a great year. Reminds me of that no run support whining last year,

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070517&content_id=1971218&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I honestly can't find it in my heart to rip on Freddy Garcia. Think about the clincher in Detroit, the clincher in Boston, the complete game in Anaheim, and then World Series Game Four.

Kub_Killer_15
05-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Freddy is a gamer and thats all you can really ask for, if he wants to pitch let him pitch.

balke
05-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Confidence is a good thing. Look at Garland, after all the whining and "Let's trade this selfish loser" crap on this message board, his confidence ended up being a good thing. Pitchers gotta believe in themselves and I don't think its right to fault them for wanting to stay in the game if they think they can get the job done.

UserNameBlank
05-18-2007, 12:18 AM
This doesn't surprise me.

I was watching Freddy's start against the Cubs and Manuel did something similar, IIRC pulling Freddy and bringing in a reliever who promptly let Freddy's inherited runners score. I thought at the time "gee, the Phils don't know **** about Freddy Garcia." And I think that applies in this case as well.

I don't care if Freddy's arm is hanging by a thread. He is the guy when it comes to tight, low scoring games. Freddy's game is to pitch around the hitters that are dangerous to him and get the next guy. How many times has he done this in Chicago? Freddy has enough confidence in himself to go out and get the out he is looking for, and he needs to be given that opportunity. If not, then why did the Phils trade for him in the first place? Surely they have access to abbreviated games via MLB.com. Surely they've noticed his tendencies to pitch around hitters in tight games, load the bases, and then work out of it. While it may not be the most visually pleasing thing to see, it has worked for him his entire career.

PeteWard
05-18-2007, 12:32 AM
117 pitches in six innings guys. And he was in a jam. And he has been pretty lousy this year.

I could have handled one comment maybe, but this was a diatribe. Against a manager who was on the hot seat and seems to have maybe turned the team around.

Sounds pretty selfish to me. And mirrors his bitching last year about run support.

As I said, he was damned good in 05 and we have the memories.

MUsoxfan
05-18-2007, 02:24 AM
Why the need to rip on every downfall of every player that gets TRADED?! He didn't leave voluntarily and for a bigger contract. IMO, every person on this site should wish him the absolute best.

I hope he's a solid, worthwhile starter for the Phillies that wins games. I want the Phillies to know that they can deal with the Sox in the future without the fear of getting burned. Gavin Floyd is an unknown commodity with the Sox and my hope is that this trade works out for both teams.

WhiteSoxFan84
05-18-2007, 03:29 AM
One of the most pointless threads ever.

The guy WANTED the ball in a CLUTCH situation and you're telling me he's a tool for saying what he felt? *****.
Garcia for garbage trade is currently right up there w/ the Lowe/Fogg/others for Todd Ritchie trade. Unless Gio Gonzalez is in the rotation and a very good pitcher by next year, this trade is BAD.
Hell, Garcia for ANY bat at ANY position would've been awesome.
Although I must say that the McCarthy for Massett/Danks deal looks GOLDEN so far.

IndianWhiteSox
05-18-2007, 04:44 AM
Freddy is a gamer and thats all you can really ask for, if he wants to pitch let him pitch.

That's what I thought as well. I mean, it's not like he whined about run support or threw his manager under the bus?

ewokpelts
05-18-2007, 09:14 AM
I honestly can't find it in my heart to rip on Freddy Garcia. Think about the clincher in Detroit, the clincher in Boston, the complete game in Anaheim, and then World Series Game Four.and then think about puff puff pass pass. and berating iguchi on a bothched playe even though he gave up more than one gopher ball in a game.

gosiu
05-18-2007, 11:42 AM

And yet, if Danks was complaining about his early lack of run support, we'd be behind him 100%.

Although I agree that he's at 117 pitches, you can't complain that he wants to pitch in a clutch situation.

hi im skot
05-18-2007, 01:28 PM
And yet, if Danks was complaining about his early lack of run support, we'd be behind him 100%.

I doubt that. While he might have been making a valid point, you don't pull that crap---especially as a rookie.