PDA

View Full Version : Farnsworth doesn't agree with Clemens' contract

chaerulez
05-17-2007, 08:44 PM
I know a lot of people here don't like Farnsworth as he's an ex-Cub, but finally someone speaking the truth. I knew there was no way that all of the 24 other players on the Yankees would accept Clemens' contract. In fact if I were A-Rod I would be kind of ticked off at how this guy is treated like a hero when A-Rod himself gets the blunt of critism for the Yankees' failures.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/05/17/bc.bba.yankees.farnsworth.ap/index.html

getonbckthr
05-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I know a lot of people here don't like Farnsworth as he's an ex-Cub, but finally someone speaking the truth. I knew there was no way that all of the 24 other players on the Yankees would accept Clemens' contract. In fact if I were A-Rod I would be kind of ticked off at how this guy is treated like a hero when A-Rod himself gets the blunt of critism for the Yankees' failures.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/05/17/bc.bba.yankees.farnsworth.ap/index.html
I think Farns realizes this ship is sinking and if a problem were to come from this he would be the one moved not Clemens. I feel this is his way of asking for a trade without saying it.

PeteWard
05-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Brunt!

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm a believer in the sanctity of private contracts. I think that teams have to be insane to continue to give Clemens whatever crap he demands, but if they do, that's the way it is. Bad precedent? Nobody to blame but management. If I'm negotiating a contract, I can ask for whatever I want. If they give it to me, so be it.

FedEx227
05-18-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm a believer in the sanctity of private contracts. I think that teams have to be insane to continue to give Clemens whatever crap he demands, but if they do, that's the way it is. Bad precedent? Nobody to blame but management. If I'm negotiating a contract, I can ask for whatever I want. If they give it to me, so be it.

No doubt, but it's just pathetic how teams are afraid of Roger Clemens and will give him whatever he wants.

MUsoxfan
05-18-2007, 01:19 AM
No doubt, but it's just pathetic how teams are afraid of Roger Clemens and will give him whatever he wants.

I doubt that they're afraid of him so much as they're desperate for him. If they feel they can win a good portion of the 20% of the games he pitches, they'll sacrafice everything to get him. He's not a thief so much as these teams are desperate for a little contribution. The Yankees have started 5 or 6 rookies this year and they know that will not get them a ring.

IndianWhiteSox
05-18-2007, 03:48 AM

I guess he has a point, but the only reason why he's beloved over there was because of him being the Ace of those '99 and '00 seasons when they won the damn thing. Either way I agree with Farnsworth as Clemens is nothing but a greedy donut eating, HGH injecting pig.

But then again, maybe he was just pissed off at the fact that he blew the save in which Clemens won in relief in the 18th inning.

palehozenychicty
05-18-2007, 08:31 AM
I doubt that they're afraid of him so much as they're desperate for him. If they feel they can win a good portion of the 20% of the games he pitches, they'll sacrafice everything to get him. He's not a thief so much as these teams are desperate for a little contribution. The Yankees have started 5 or 6 rookies this year and they know that Roger will not get them a ring.

Fixed.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-18-2007, 09:04 AM

As much as I despise Clemens for his holier than thou attitude, I agree with you 100%. It's Georgie's fault for creating a division on this team by doing this. Clemens asked for and got what he wanted; they could have easily said no, but Georgie's "win at all costs" drives this ego train straight off the track.

SBSoxFan
05-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Mike and Mike nominated Farnsworth for the "just shut up" award for his comments regarding this.

Here's a thought: Mike and Mike, why don't you just shut up?

UserNameBlank
05-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Mike and Mike nominated Farnsworth for the "just shut up" award for his comments regarding this.

Here's a thought: Mike and Mike, why don't you just shut up?
I agree. Farnsworth has a legit point.

I heard on the radio I think yesterday that when the Yankees players were asked if they minded Roger not traveling with the team, Jeter said something to the effect of "I'll even carry his bags for him." Maybe it's just me, but that's kind of ****ty for a team leader to say. Everyone on that pitching staff, every injured player on the bench, and every part time player on that team would probably rather be at home with their family when they aren't going to be used. Why does Roger get to leave when everyone else has to stick together? If I was Farnsworth I'd be in the dugout kicking electric fans again.

SBSoxFan
05-18-2007, 09:44 AM

I heard on the radio I think yesterday that when the Yankees players were asked if they minded Roger not traveling with the team, Jeter said something to the effect of "I'll even carry his bags for him." Maybe it's just me, but that's kind of ****ty for a team leader to say. Everyone on that pitching staff, every injured player on the bench, and every part time player on that team would probably rather be at home with their family when they aren't going to be used. Why does Roger get to leave when everyone else has to stick together? If I was Farnsworth I'd be in the dugout kicking electric fans again.

And it's not like Farnsworth was ranting about out.

wdelaney72
05-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I think Farns realizes this ship is sinking and if a problem were to come from this he would be the one moved not Clemens. I feel this is his way of asking for a trade without saying it.

Could be, but man, you are giving Farnsworth A LOT of credit... he has historically proven to be the kind of guy that takes 2 hours to watch 60 minutes.

HotelWhiteSox
05-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Could be, but man, you are giving Farnsworth A LOT of credit... he has historically proven to be the kind of guy that takes 2 hours to watch 60 minutes.

:rolling:

chaerulez
05-18-2007, 01:31 PM

That's why Jeter being a leader is one of the biggest myths in sports history. Paul O'Neill, Tino Martinez, Scott Brosius, those guys were the true leaders. Jeter is a tool. Ever since A-Rod came to the team, the clubhouse has been divided between the two. Of course, most of the team goes to kiss Jeter's ass. Sheffield was one of the few players on A-Rod's side. Probably had a factor in him being dealt. A true leader would do anything to give their team the best chance to win. A-Rod was a better SS when he was acquired. Jeter should've moved to CF. Back to the Clemens thing, I agree with Nellie, it is the Yankees fault that they give this dochue bag a contract like that. I can't fault Clemens for taking that type of deal. However that doesn't change the fact that Clemens is a clown. And Farnsworth certainly has a point and has reason to be a little ticked off. I'm sure he's not the only one, the others for whatever reason just don't want to publicly voice their opinion.

soxinem1
05-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Honestly, whatever makes the $400 million team weaker is fine with me. For an over-paid veg head like Farnsworth to be the main one to complain is a joke.

Where are Torre, A-Rod, Cashman, and Steinbrenner in this? It starts with them, not Clemens. All they have to do is say no.

Despite his pompousness, I've always liked Clemens for his accomplishments on the field, but I have decided to take a different approach on what the Yankmees should give to him.

They should give Clemens his own private jet to shuttle him anywhere he wants, skyboxes for veryone who lives in his town, plus an entire hotel just for him and whoever he wants to stay there.

And the grand-daddy of them all:

His own ballpark in Texas to pitch any of his scheduled starts! Then he never has to leave home.

Result? A 68-94 season!

Hello, mutiny!

RockyMtnSoxFan
05-23-2007, 11:15 AM
I guess he has a point, but the only reason why he's beloved over there was because of him being the Ace of those '99 and '00 seasons when they won the damn thing. Either way I agree with Farnsworth as Clemens is nothing but a greedy donut eating, HGH injecting pig.

But then again, maybe he was just pissed off at the fact that he blew the save in which Clemens won in relief in the 18th inning.

I read in some ESPN article (I forget which) that Jason Grimsley said that the person who introduced him to HGH was Clemens and Pettite's personal trainer. Anybody have any more info on this? It would really tear apart the baseball world if Clemens was busted.

skottyj242
05-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Well it will mean more work for Farnsworth because Clemens won't give you more than six innings.

PennStater98r
05-23-2007, 04:34 PM
All they really want is Clemens to go into the HoF with a Yankee cap.