PDA

View Full Version : Sox brass comment on The Worst Person In The Universe

maurice
05-17-2007, 06:27 PM
From the official site (http://whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070516&content_id=1968062&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws):
. . .
If Anderson ends up as part of a trade package, Guillen guarantees it's not because Sweeney's more laid-back demeanor is a better fit than Anderson's wildly gregarious nature. "Two different kids," Guillen explained. "Brian, he went to the game the right way. I'm not going to criticize Brian for who he was. I love him. Everyone should be like that, loosey-goosey. In the meanwhile, you can see the different type of players. Hopefully, they play together one day."
. . .
Williams said, "I told Brian when he left, it's not about us losing faith in him or losing confidence in his ability. Right now, just as [Paul] Konerko was tested when he had to go back to the Minors in his first trip around the big leagues, just as Aaron Rowand was tested, it's going to be a heck of a test to see what kind of makeup and character he has. To his credit, the reports I've gotten are that he's gone down there not just to better himself and play, but he has taken a leadership role as well. I'm proud of him."

"It wasn't fair to him," said Williams of Anderson's rare 2007 usage, covering only 17 at-bats. "It became obvious we weren't going to get him the at-bats he would need as an individual and we would need as a team for us to be effective. So, that's why we made the move."

veeter
05-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Ozzie's saying all the right things now. But last year Brian was set up to fail. It wasn't fair to him and might have damaged his career. To me, he's been a "maybe he'll make it guy", because he has some swing flaws. BUT, he's a great outfielder, has good speed and tons of power. So, he might end up being very good. I hope he does. If he doesn't, I hope it's not from 2006's mishandling by Guillen and Kenny.

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2007, 12:58 AM
You guys kill me. No matter what the Sox say about Anderson, it isn't good enough for you. Only Ozzie throwing himself on the altar of sacrifice, screaming "I ruined the career of a future Hall of Famer" would satisfy you, and then only for a minute or two.

Let it go. Let's all just hope that he and Sweeney are outfield partners in many pennant-contending Sox teams of the future.

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2007, 07:16 AM
You guys kill me. No matter what the Sox say about Anderson, it isn't good enough for you. Only Ozzie throwing himself on the altar of sacrifice, screaming "I ruined the career of a future Hall of Famer" would satisfy you, and then only for a minute or two.

Now you're the one caricaturing the situation far beyond hyperbole. Pot, meet kettle. Besides, I want Ozzie to do that while flogging himself with a cat of nine tails. :D:

Let's all just hope that he and Sweeney are outfield partners in many pennant-contending Sox teams of the future.

Now that's something on which we all should agree! :cool:

ondafarm
05-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I find this: "In the meanwhile, you can see the different type of players. Hopefully, they play together one day." very optimistic.

PaulDrake
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Whatever Ozzie's sins were, and I posted on several occasions that I thought it was personal for him, BA played his way back to the minors. I hope he fights his way back, but I think he needs major work on his hitting before he has a chance to be successful.

ondafarm
05-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Whatever Ozzie's sins were, and I posted on several occasions that I thought it was personal for him, BA played his way back to the minors. I hope he fights his way back, but I think he needs major work on his hitting before he has a chance to be successful.

I think he could come up now to say, the Marlins and be productive. If he wants to take over the White Sox starting CF job next year, and my guess is there will be two vacancies (Dye and Pods) and Sweeney will take left, then I think BA needs to become a more complete hitter. The little things that make a guy able to get on when his timing is disrupted. The things that make situational hitting such a strategy duel. If he works on opposite field hitting and slap hitting and the occasional bunt for a hit and maybe even his base stealing, then he'll a) win the CF job and b) be a very productive player for the Sox in 2008. I still think capable of .300 with 70 rbis, 20 hr and 20 steals. Of course, if he does nothing but stew there (and reports indicate he's not) then he'll still be a .230 hitter.

maurice
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I think BA needs a chance to be successful before he has a chance to be successful. As KW pointed out, 17 ABs in a month against some of the best pitchers in baseball isn't a chance to be successful.

I don't know who "you guys" are, but I have consistently maintained that Ozzie thinks that the things he says are true and disagreed with the people on both sides who believe that Ozzie has ulterior motives. Therefore, I believe Ozzie when he says that BA "went to the game the right way" and that "[e]veryone should be like that." Given the way Ozzie has always acted during games, this is really easy to believe.

balke
05-21-2007, 12:04 PM
BA just needs to hit, period.

No more blame to Ozzie from the fans. No more comparisons. No more updates and expectations. Just hit the ball.

Randar68
05-22-2007, 01:45 PM

No more blame to Ozzie from the fans. No more comparisons. No more updates and expectations. Just hit the ball.

Then why does Ozzie continue to trot Rob Mackowiak out there? It's painfully obvious he is NOT an everyday player.

He's killing us on D and at the plate.

JorgeFabregas
05-22-2007, 05:44 PM

No more updates...on how he's hitting?

lostfan
05-23-2007, 11:26 AM
No more updates...on how he's hitting?
He was well over .300 for a while but he went on a cold streak and dropped into .270 territory. I'm not sure what his exact average is at the moment though.

Frontman
05-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Then why does Ozzie continue to trot Rob Mackowiak out there? It's painfully obvious he is NOT an everyday player.

:pods:
"Hi, I'm Scott Podsednik. Maybe you've heard, but I'm on the DL right now, and without anyone out there, the opposing teams could just keep ducksnorting the ball into left."

:mack:
"Yeah, it will be the same as if I'm playing out there......waitaminit."

This is where I don't understand major league baseball. Why not keep Sweeney up here and use him as an everyday left fielder, and have Mack come off the bench, where his pinch hitting/running is better than everyday play.

Justagirl
05-23-2007, 01:46 PM
While I agree that BA definitely needs to improve his hitting, defensively the only thing he can do that would impress me more is sprout wings and fly across the field.

JorgeFabregas
05-23-2007, 05:52 PM
He was well over .300 for a while but he went on a cold streak and dropped into .270 territory. I'm not sure what his exact average is at the moment though.
Right, I understand all that. However, the poster said:

No more blame to Ozzie from the fans. No more comparisons. No more updates and expectations. Just hit the ball.Implying that updates and expectations from the fans distract BA from the task at hand. I don't understand that notion at all. I think he's saying that he doesn't want to hear anything more about BA until he really starts hitting (something he's done reasonably well since being sent down).

lostfan
05-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Right, I understand all that. However, the poster said:

Implying that updates and expectations from the fans distract BA from the task at hand. I don't understand that notion at all. I think he's saying that he doesn't want to hear anything more about BA until he really starts hitting (something he's done reasonably well since being sent down).
Oh, gotcha. I thought you were asking for an update. :)

Randar68
05-24-2007, 10:41 AM
This is where I don't understand major league baseball. Why not keep Sweeney up here and use him as an everyday left fielder, and have Mack come off the bench, where his pinch hitting/running is better than everyday play.

This has nothing to do with major league baseball and everything to do with Ozzie.

Either Anderson or Sweeney can be no worse than Mack on an everyday basis, yet provide far better defense.

Frontman
05-24-2007, 10:44 AM
This has nothing to do with major league baseball and everything to do with Ozzie.

Either Anderson or Sweeney can be no worse than Mack on an everyday basis, yet provide far better defense.

Other teams do it as well. It isn't just an Ozzie thing. Hell, the Cubs the past few weeks could of left Pie up on the Major's roster, yet sent him down instead.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Maybe Ozzie doesn't believe in rewarding mediocrity simply because it is young and full of "potential" -- whatever that means.

Results count in The Show. I'm sure Brian Anderson will return to it with a different attitude than the first time he arrived... and if not he'll be pumping gas within 2 years.

:cool:

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Maybe Ozzie doesn't believe in rewarding mediocrity simply because it is young and full of "potential" -- whatever that means.

Fair enough. I don't think mediocrity should be rewarded, either.

So why does Ozzie continually reward mediocrity - and worse - from veterans? :?:

ondafarm
05-30-2007, 05:12 PM

So why does Ozzie continually reward mediocrity - and worse - from veterans? :?:

Which is my point, Ozzie is unable to motivate this team to play up to the level it is capable of. While he was great in 2005, he stinks this year.

Also, I have been accussed of not complaining about when Ozzie needed to yank the starting pitcher to prevent these late rallies which are killing us, like today. THAT IS NOT THE POINT. The question is not if I can determine when the starting pitcher should be yanked, it's that Ozzie Guillen seems incapable of doing so. I am not auditioning for manager of the White Sox. The question is Ozzie's suitability.

BoysMom3
05-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Let's all just hope that he and Sweeney are outfield partners in many pennant-contending Sox teams of the future.

Very well said - ITA.

BoysMom3
05-31-2007, 06:07 PM
While I agree that BA definitely needs to improve his hitting, defensively the only thing he can do that would impress me more is sprout wings and fly across the field.

Perfect - I so totally agree!

PaleHoseGeorge
06-03-2007, 11:41 PM

So why does Ozzie continually reward mediocrity - and worse - from veterans?

By definition, they're veterans. They can't become veterans unless SOMEBODY sees their produced value across an extended period. As veterans, they've produced for years... not months. In producing value, Anderson is whale **** by comparison.

You need to stop thinking "potential" is an ends all by itself. If guys like Mackowiak and Cintron don't produce, they'll be shown the door -- no trip to AAA for them... and it could come faster than any of us realize.

jabrch
06-04-2007, 10:12 AM
Which is my point, Ozzie is unable to motivate this team to play up to the level it is capable of. While he was great in 2005, he stinks this year.

Really? How about the PLAYERS have stunk this year, since they are the ones who pitch, hit and catch.

I'm surprised as a former player you'd spend so much time blaming a manager for veterans (Dye, PK, Crede, Iguchi) who are so far underperforming their expectations.

For crying out loud - Ozzie can't pick up a bat for these guys.

oeo
06-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Ozzie's saying all the right things now. But last year Brian was set up to fail. It wasn't fair to him and might have damaged his career. To me, he's been a "maybe he'll make it guy", because he has some swing flaws. BUT, he's a great outfielder, has good speed and tons of power. So, he might end up being very good. I hope he does. If he doesn't, I hope it's not from 2006's mishandling by Guillen and Kenny.

You keep believing those conspiracy theories. Everyone hates their farmhand, I mean, why wouldn't they set a young kid that they drafted up to fail? :rolleyes:

russ99
06-04-2007, 12:31 PM

Do you really want to go back to the "Kids can play" days? And do you want the 80-90 losses that go with that mentality?

Truth be told, I'm not especially pleased with Mackowiak this year either, but Anderson and Sweeney had their chances this year (last year in Anderson's case) and haven't proven that they can take over an everyday job. Despite Owens' good start, the jury's still out on him too.

What I don't understand is why the Sox refuse to go out and get another outfielder (and reliever for that matter) from outside the system. You can't just assume Pods and/or Erstad is going to come back at full strength. Look what the A's have done this season. You can't tell me one of those guys Oakland acquired couldn't help the Sox...

I'm quite ready for KW to make some kind of deal to shake up this stagnant team.

UserNameBlank
06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
What I don't understand is why the Sox refuse to go out and get another outfielder (and reliever for that matter) from outside the system. You can't just assume Pods and/or Erstad is going to come back at full strength. Look what the A's have done this season. You can't tell me one of those guys Oakland acquired couldn't help the Sox...

I'm quite ready for KW to make some kind of deal to shake up this stagnant team.
Hopefully they are looking for a more long term solution in the OF. They could probably get what they want right now but certainly not for a price they'd be willing to pay. I think KW would scrap half this team right now before he'd give up Gio or Fields, especially Fields. If Dontrelle is available, trading Gio becomes a different story however.

Randar68
06-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Results count in The Show. I'm sure Brian Anderson will return to it with a different attitude than the first time he arrived...

Then how do you explain people like Mackowiak and Royce Clayton starting on clubs? :rolleyes:

Anderson was one of the better hitters on the club the second half of last year and he had a very good spring. Yet, we get a proven "not an everyday player" playing every day...

Frater Perdurabo
06-05-2007, 08:05 PM
By definition, they're veterans. They can't become veterans unless SOMEBODY sees their produced value across an extended period. As veterans, they've produced for years... not months. In producing value, Anderson is whale **** by comparison.

You need to stop thinking "potential" is an ends all by itself. If guys like Mackowiak and Cintron don't produce, they'll be shown the door -- no trip to AAA for them... and it could come faster than any of us realize.

I don't think potential is an ends all by itself for a team that expects to contend. I understand the difference between a contending team like the Sox and a team that has no hope right now, like the Rockies, Nats or Rangers.

The point is that the veterans like Mackowiak and Cintron are not producing right now, yet Ozzie keeps trotting their sorry rear ends out there. And KW had to demote MacDougal, Aardsma and Sisco just to keep Ozzie from sending them out to give up walks, wild pitches and aarow-straight "Billy Koch" fastballs. If KW had not demoted them, Ozzie would still be sending them out to the mound.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2007, 09:03 PM

The point is that the veterans like Mackowiak and Cintron are not producing right now, yet Ozzie keeps trotting their sorry rear ends out there. .

Whoops, my mistake. I didn't realize the essential thrust of your argument (and Randar's, too) was simply to conduct a World's Tallest Midget contest on behalf of your favorite lilliputian. No sense arguing over such nonsense. Don't mind me... I'll be checking out now.

Enjoy this smelly little minor league thread Maurice created for all of you. When you get a chance, come visit us on the big team board. Rest assured you won't be talking about your favorite oompa loompa around there anytime soon.

Randar68
06-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Whoops, my mistake. I didn't realize the essential thrust of your argument (and Randar's, too) was simply to conduct a World's Tallest Midget contest on behalf of your favorite lilliputian. No sense arguing over such nonsense. Don't mind me... I'll be checking out now.

Enjoy this smelly little minor league thread Maurice created for all of you. When you get a chance, come visit us on the big team board. Rest assured you won't be talking about your favorite oompa loompa around there anytime soon.

You're right, I would be much more entertained talking about veteran prooven bench players looking like total buffoons on an everyday basis for the "big boy club"... and all the "intelligence" that resides on the main board that goes along with a 162 game season of schizophrenic teenagers.

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2007, 12:15 AM

This thread, and Minor Observations is general, is a welcome respite from the steaming pile of you-know-what that Ozzie's favorite POS veterans have been carelessly defecating on the field.

Part of the "fun" of talking about prospects is at least they give us some hope, unlike the dung that Ozzie keeps sending out there.

russ99
06-11-2007, 05:58 PM

Also, if this were a last-place club, I'm sure the Sox would have a lot more patience with younger players - but we're supposed to be a contending team.

Randar68
06-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Also, if this were a last-place club, I'm sure the Sox would have a lot more patience with younger players - but we're supposed to be a contending team.

Contending teams don't run Rob Mackowiak out there everyday... PERIOD.

jabrch
06-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Contending teams don't run Rob Mackowiak out there everyday... PERIOD.

Do contending teams not run Craig Monroe out there everyday?

How about Lew Ford and Jason Tyner?

And what would they do after losing their starting CF and starting LFs?

This team has problems - but Mackowiak isn't the biggest one.

Dye and Crede are hitting .216. Uribe is hitting .218. Konerko is on a tear - and up to .244. The only player we have in our lineup, who has been healthy all season, who is hitting over .244 is Iguchi who is on a tear and now hitting .257.

Mackowiak is far from this team's biggest problem.

Randar68
06-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Mackowiak is far from this team's biggest problem.

Mackowiak is entirely overmatched at the plate. More so than Ryan Sweeney was. Why are we running Mack out there everyday versus bringing up Anderson or Sweeney? That's the whole point! We already KNOW Mackowiak is not an everyday player. At some point you have to find that out about your prospects, but you need a manager who is going to stick to that plan of evaluating them, not have a knee-jerk reaction and throw Mackowiak out there just because he's older... He certainly is no better!

jabrch
06-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Mackowiak is entirely overmatched at the plate. More so than Ryan Sweeney was. Why are we running Mack out there everyday versus bringing up Anderson or Sweeney? That's the whole point! We already KNOW Mackowiak is not an everyday player. At some point you have to find that out about your prospects, but you need a manager who is going to stick to that plan of evaluating them, not have a knee-jerk reaction and throw Mackowiak out there just because he's older... He certainly is no better!

ok - I'll buy that...if we want to use those ABs for development at the major league level, than Sweeney or BA could be here. I guess they want to keep giving those guys ABs down on the farm.

California Sox
06-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Just to stand up for Craig Monroe for a second: Mack has a .311 OBP with a .315 SLG. That's Einar Diaz-like. Craig Monroe has 26 xbh and a .450 SLG. He doesn't get on base, but there is some production. And compared to Mack, he's Willie Mays.

Randar68
06-13-2007, 02:48 PM
ok - I'll buy that...if we want to use those ABs for development at the major league level, than Sweeney or BA could be here. I guess they want to keep giving those guys ABs down on the farm.

If they are going to play them twice a week up here, then I agree. I just don't see any reasonable point to throwing Mackowiak out there again and again versus showing that same level of dedication to allowing your young players to develop. If you are going to have Josh Fields, Ryan Sweeney, Anderson, ect up here at this point, then you need to play them everyday. For as little production as we are getting out of the veteran equivalents, I'd rather watch those guys hit .150 and learn on-the-job than to watch Mackowiak, Uribe, etc strand runner after runner and offer little upgrade in their place.

If your "present" sucks, you'd better be planning for the "future".