PDA

View Full Version : Closer Mentality

kermittheefrog
03-28-2002, 03:54 PM
I think this display of cowardliness kills the idea of closer mentality.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0328/1359448.html

cheeses_h_rice
03-28-2002, 04:01 PM
I think he is of the Jose Lima / Flash Gordon / Livan Hernandez school of piss-off-your-opponent-even-more-after-they-strike-out-because-you're-celebrating thought. Should be an interesting little display that Flubbie closing squad puts on this year, especially after Flash comes back from the DL.

Sorry, I should have said "especially IF Flash comes back." My bad.

RichH55
03-28-2002, 06:51 PM
I loved the link on ESPN read that Closer runs from "the Demon"

czalgosz
03-28-2002, 11:38 PM
So it looks like the Marlins and Cubs swapped clubhouse cancers. This isn't a great deal for the Cubs, folks...

kermittheefrog
03-28-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
So it looks like the Marlins and Cubs swapped clubhouse cancers. This isn't a great deal for the Cubs, folks...

Sounds like the manager's son/wrestler is the clubhouse cancer.

RichH55
03-29-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Hey he weighted himself everyday after:)

baggio202
03-29-2002, 02:35 AM

i agree....what the hell is a pro wrestler ...who obviously has control issues if this story is true...doing in a major league clubhouse....what would have happen if he found alfonseca and body slammed him and injured his pitching shoulder???....imagine the lawsuits...lol

but just reading the story itself cracked me up...

RichH55
03-29-2002, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

i agree....what the hell is a pro wrestler ...who obviously has control issues if this story is true...doing in a major league clubhouse....what would have happen if he found alfonseca and body slammed him and injured his pitching shoulder???....imagine the lawsuits...lol

Well besides the blantant nepotism that got him the job, in theory it was to be a trainer(something like that), so I dont see why being a Pro Wrestler would disqualify him............and of course there is a fine line between threating to hurt someone and actually do it...I believe its the same line between assault and battery:)

kermittheefrog
03-29-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

Yeah I dunno about anyone else but if I was an owner I'd be pretty unhappy about a damn trainer chasing my players around threatening to kick their asses.

czalgosz
03-29-2002, 11:08 AM

I don't think this is the first time that Alfonseca's been a problem for the Marlins. It was pretty common knowledge that the Marlins were trying to get rid of him.

He's overrated anyway.

LongDistanceFan
03-29-2002, 11:26 AM
I think this display of cowardliness kills the idea of closer mentality.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0328/1359448.html LMAO

this is sooo funny and i am now happy the sCrubs got this guy.

but you do have a point about a trainer chasing a player......... the proper procedure should have been is to address this with the manager and the GM.

Mathew
03-29-2002, 02:17 PM
Two questions

Is this wrestler guy famous? My brothers watch WWF would they know him? Also who is to close games for the Marlins(out of curiosity and maybe some cheap fantasy baseball interest)?

kermittheefrog
03-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
Two questions

Is this wrestler guy famous? My brothers watch WWF would they know him? Also who is to close games for the Marlins(out of curiosity and maybe some cheap fantasy baseball interest)?

1) I dunno much about wrestling.

2) Vladimir Nunez and Braden Looper are going to share the closers job in Florida with Nunez getting the bulk of the work.

Jerry_Manuel
03-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
Is this wrestler guy famous? My brothers watch WWF would they know him?

No, the Kiss Demon was not famous by any means. He had a short stint with WCW in 2000 and parts of 2001.

This is what he looked like:
http://www.drbit.com.ru/~mail86/KissAsylum/1.see/1.photos/2.people/demon.jpg

Mathew
03-29-2002, 05:10 PM
That's Jeff torborg's kid.

Ha ha!