PDA

View Full Version : Carmona Beats Santana

spiffie
05-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Obviously it is just one game, and they still have a bullpen that is an AARP dream come true, but when you see results like this come in it makes it seem possible that Cleveland might not do their fade job this season.

Carmona moves to 5-1 with 2-0 shutout of Twins and Johan Santana. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=AmOdKSAnmq4ccljU1j9TPCMRvLYF?gid=270517 105&prov=ap) He wasn't much as a closer last year, but he seems to have the starting thing down pretty well so far.

Iwritecode
05-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Obviously it is just one game, and they still have a bullpen that is an AARP dream come true, but when you see results like this come in it makes it seem possible that Cleveland might not do their fade job this season.

Carmona moves to 5-1 with 2-0 shutout of Twins and Johan Santana. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=AmOdKSAnmq4ccljU1j9TPCMRvLYF?gid=270517 105&prov=ap) He wasn't much as a closer last year, but he seems to have the starting thing down pretty well so far.

Second time he's beaten Johan Santana who almost seems human this year.

TDog
05-17-2007, 04:35 PM
The Twins seem dead. They miss Mauer a lot. Santana isn't automatic, and the rest of the starting staff is questionable.

That might change, but right now the Twins are the team at risk of falling out of the race.

balke
05-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Santana gave up 2 runs, where was the support? 11 K's to 1 BB. I'd be angry if I were a twins fan.

JB98
05-17-2007, 06:16 PM
The Twins seem dead. They miss Mauer a lot. Santana isn't automatic, and the rest of the starting staff is questionable.

That might change, but right now the Twins are the team at risk of falling out of the race.

We were saying the same thing about them at this time last year. They finally wised up and cut fat-ass Ponson.

I know better than to write off the Twins.

TDog
05-17-2007, 06:28 PM
We were saying the same thing about them at this time last year. They finally wised up and cut fat-ass Ponson.

I know better than to write off the Twins.

I'm not writing off the Twins. Mauer's injury is a big part of the Twins' problems. They miss both his offense and defense, as could have been seen when the White Sox beat them 3-0. Two runs were set up on stolen bases, and the Twins failed to make a play at the plate.

This season the Twins don't have Liriano or Radke. And what is especially telling about the Twins is their poor home record. They don't have the pitching to fall far behind in the standings, and they don't have the starters to keep their bullpen fresh.

If you wrote off the Twins in 2005, you would have been making the right call. Things may turn out to be worse this year.

PeteWard
05-17-2007, 11:23 PM

I seem to remember a lot of this at this time last year when things were much worse for them. I'm not counting them out.

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Second time he's beaten Johan Santana who almost seems human this year.I hate to post in Twins threads, since I live in Minnesota and have a lot friends (and a son-in-law:o:) who are Twins fans, but come on. Santana had a very good outing. You don't win many games when your offense scores zero runs. Who scares you right now in the Twins' lineup? Morneau? Okay, pitch around him. No problem.

This may be to the Sox' benefit. I can't see Santana wanting to continue to pitch for a team that gives him absolutely no support.

balke
05-18-2007, 12:35 AM
They'd be really good if Hunter got to play on ESPN every night. I think Hunter is the kind of player who only wants to show up when he's gonna get special attention. I have him in Fantasy cause I think he'll have a Beltre-esque season since its a contract year. That my impression of him anyway.

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2007, 12:41 AM
They'd be really good if Hunter got to play on ESPN every night. I think Hunter is the kind of player who only wants to show up when he's gonna get special attention. I have him in Fantasy cause I think he'll have a Beltre-esque season since its a contract year. That my impression of him anyway.An interesting Hunter factoid is that he is giving the credit for his early hitting to Mauer. A veteran admits that he has been talking with the kid Mauer for advice, and that it has benefited him.

FedEx227
05-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Santana is notorious for starting off slow then going nuts in the final 3 months of the season. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

IndianWhiteSox
05-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Santana is notorious for starting off slow then going nuts in the final 3 months of the season. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

The stats don't lie, it's no coincidence that his winning streaks start in the summer.

ma-gaga
05-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Last year it was easy to be somewhat optimistic. their biggest anchors were Rondel, Castro, Batista, and a horrible pitching staff. But the Twins had 3 minor leaguers ready to step in, and Punto could switch over to 3rd full time and be an upgrade over Batista (excuse my spelling, I'm sitting at a stupid "public computer" (Dunn Bros. coffee) and this keyboard sucks...).

This year they have pitching in the minors, but the starting staff isn't the problem. for the most part, they are being kept in games by their pitching. their offense w/o Mauer has ground to a halt. But even with Mauer, they were having a hard time scoring runs consistantly. They are just having a hard time scoring runs. Moving bartltt from 9th to 2nd should help, as will keeping castillo healthy. but they need to score some runs if they wan't to get back into the race...

I guess we'll see if the team can heat up, but as hard as it is for me to believe, this offense looks worse than the one i saw the first third of last year. ...

maybe interleague will spark them. :cool:

infohawk
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM
This season the Twins don't have Liriano or Radke. And what is especially telling about the Twins is their poor home record. They don't have the pitching to fall far behind in the standings, and they don't have the starters to keep their bullpen fresh.
Also keep in mind that they have lost Jesse Crain to a torn labrum and, if I'm not mistaken, some other shoulder malady.

Iwritecode
05-18-2007, 10:14 AM
I hate to post in Twins threads, since I live in Minnesota and have a lot friends (and a son-in-law:o:) who are Twins fans, but come on. Santana had a very good outing. You don't win many games when your offense scores zero runs. Who scares you right now in the Twins' lineup? Morneau? Okay, pitch around him. No problem.

This may be to the Sox' benefit. I can't see Santana wanting to continue to pitch for a team that gives him absolutely no support.

Hey, I said "almost" human. :cool:

Comparing his current stats to last year's stats, they aren't quite as good. But when looking at his game log, it appears he started off fairly slow last year too.

So uh... here's to the offense continuing to give him zero run support. :gulp: