PDA

View Full Version : White Sox reinstate Toby Hall from disabled list

gosiu
05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070517&content_id=1970132&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

crazyozzie02
05-17-2007, 12:35 PM
wow! I didnt expect to see him back with the team so soon, but im not complaining. So i guess this means that Molina is on his way down.

DumpJerry
05-17-2007, 12:39 PM
wow! I didnt expect to see him back with the team so soon, but im not complaining. So i guess this means that Molina is on his way down.
We're on it. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87837)

jdm2662
05-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Good news. I just hope he can throw.

CHIsoxNation
05-17-2007, 12:40 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87837

I just hope that Hall is actually ready and isn't just getting too excited here. I don't want to see him go down and we are stuck with Molina for the next 4-5 months.

Gammons Peter
05-17-2007, 12:59 PM
I just hope that Hall is actually ready and isn't just getting too excited here. I don't want to see him go down and we are stuck with Molina for the next 4-5 months.

Hall can't throw, this is a desperation move to get his bat in the lineup and give AJ a rest. Give it a week or two (or until he allows 4 or 5 stolen bases in a game) and he'll have his surgery and be out for the year.

INSox56
05-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Hall can't throw, this is a desperation move to get his bat in the lineup and give AJ a rest. Give it a week or two (or until he allows 4 or 5 stolen bases in a game) and he'll have his surgery and be out for the year.I never took you for an optimist!

ondafarm
05-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Good. Hall is an actual backup for AJ and a decent right-handed bat. This replaces a gaping hole on the roster, IMHO.

BRDSR
05-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Hall can't throw, this is a desperation move to get his bat in the lineup and give AJ a rest. Give it a week or two (or until he allows 4 or 5 stolen bases in a game) and he'll have his surgery and be out for the year.

I am similarly pessimistic. Did I not just read an article where Guillen (or another source) said that Hall was not ready to be back? If opposing teams read that, would they not know that their Paul Konerko's can run rampant all over the White Sox? All we need right now is for every damn single to turn into a double except when Mark Buerhle is pitching.

UserNameBlank
05-17-2007, 01:35 PM
I am similarly pessimistic. Did I not just read an article where Guillen (or another source) said that Hall was not ready to be back? If opposing teams read that, would they not know that their Paul Konerko's can run rampant all over the White Sox? All we need right now is for every damn single to turn into a double except when Mark Buerhle is pitching.
Count me in as a pessimist too. I like Hall being back but I'd rather see Gustavo kept around to catch a game per week or so. Hall makes for a nice option as DH while Thome is out and when Thome does come back, he again makes for a nice option as DH against LHP.

IMO, one of the bullpen guys should go. Sisco would be my pick with Thornton turning it around. Not that I don't think Andy could have a somewhat decent year, but with Logan pitching well I'd like to see him starting in Charlotte. He needs to develop that submarine-style delivery that he's been showing as of late because I think if he can find his location from that angle he could become an effective starter.

soxfan13
05-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Good. Hall is an actual backup for AJ and a decent right-handed bat. This replaces a gaping hole on the roster, IMHO.

But if you cant throw anybody out all we have is Matt Lecroy Jr. I hope he is ready:smile:

russ99
05-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Count me in as a pessimist too. I like Hall being back but I'd rather see Gustavo kept around to catch a game per week or so. Hall makes for a nice option as DH while Thome is out and when Thome does come back, he again makes for a nice option as DH against LHP.

IMO, one of the bullpen guys should go. Sisco would be my pick with Thornton turning it around. Not that I don't think Andy could have a somewhat decent year, but with Logan pitching well I'd like to see him starting in Charlotte. He needs to develop that submarine-style delivery that he's been showing as of late because I think if he can find his location from that angle he could become an effective starter.

I'll take Hall for his hitting alone. If he can throw or contest stolen bases at all it will be a bonus.

Also, I'd also not send Sisco down, as you're letting last night cloud his overall performance. All relievers have bad days once in a while.

oeo
05-17-2007, 01:42 PM
But if you cant throw anybody out all we have is Matt Lecroy Jr. I hope he is ready:smile:

Or AJ Jr. We'll have two catchers that cannot throw anyone out.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-17-2007, 02:43 PM

it really won't change anything- we haven't been able to throw anybody out since olivo was back there

soxfan13
05-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Or AJ Jr. We'll have two catchers that cannot throw anyone out.

At least AJ has a fighting chance:redneck

Flight #24
05-17-2007, 04:34 PM

I saw that too. What was confusing was that the sentence was basically written like this: Toby Hall went 3-4 with an HR last night in AAA. Ozzie Guillen said "He's having some trouble".

It made me wonder if there was a typo or misquote, because they didn't explain WHY Guillen thought he was struggling and the facts they gave on his rehab stint were all pretty positive.:?:

UserNameBlank
05-17-2007, 04:37 PM
I'll take Hall for his hitting alone. If he can throw or contest stolen bases at all it will be a bonus.

Also, I'd also not send Sisco down, as you're letting last night cloud his overall performance. All relievers have bad days once in a while.

Last night's performance from Sisco didn't mean a whole lot to me. He's come in and gotten some key K's when we needed them and I think he will continue to come through when we need him this year. The thing with him though is that he is still young, has nasty stuff, and is most importantly left handed. I like this new delivery of his but you can tell he doesn't have a feel for it yet, and rightfully so since I think he's just picked it up this year. IMO, if he can gain control of that he could do what Adam Russell did this ST and shoot right up the list from tweener to legitimate starting prospect (even though Sisco isn't exactly a true "prospect" anymore). I think in the meantime Logan can handle what Sisco's role is and would be, and with the strength of the pen and the depth the Sox have in the minors, the Sox can afford to give him another shot at starting where he dominated before being picked up by the Royals.

If nothing else, Sisco dominating as a starter in Charlotte would really raise his value and at least give us another real option for next year. Can you imagine the Sox with Danks and Buehrle on the roster with Gio and Sisco pushing for roster sports next year? Holy lefthanded starting pitching depth, Batman!

With Day coming, and I don't know if there is anyone else who agrees with me but I really like Wassermann who is waiting in the wings too, we have the pieces in house to make up for Sisco's loss even if someone struggles.

chisoxmike
05-17-2007, 05:09 PM
I find it amazing that this guy is fully healed. We'll see...

thomas35forever
05-17-2007, 06:42 PM
It'll be nice to see A.J. finally get a decent amount of rest. Maybe he'll put up better offensive numbers now with more off days.

I'm very interested to see what Toby can do on both sides of the plate. Just pray he won't put up Widger-type numbers.

delben91
05-17-2007, 06:51 PM
I saw that too. What was confusing was that the sentence was basically written like this: Toby Hall went 3-4 with an HR last night in AAA. Ozzie Guillen said "He's having some trouble".

It made me wonder if there was a typo or misquote, because they didn't explain WHY Guillen thought he was struggling and the facts they gave on his rehab stint were all pretty positive.:?:

I was wondering the same thing. Here's a theory, mis-guided though it may be. Perhaps Ozzie was being sarcastic, and the way it was quoted, without any real context, it ended up not being portrayed as sarcastic in the article?

gobears1987
05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Hall can't throw, this is a desperation move to get his bat in the lineup and give AJ a rest. Give it a week or two (or until he allows 4 or 5 stolen bases in a game) and he'll have his surgery and be out for the year.Great analysis from a poster with a great user name.:rolleyes:

gobears1987
05-17-2007, 09:09 PM
It makes sense to use Hall tomorrow. Who cares if he can't throw runners out. I dare them to run on Buehrle. He'll just pick them off.

Buehrle wrote something for yahoo sports about three years ago saying 95% of holding a runner on and preventing steals is up to the pitcher. If you have to rely on your catcher to stop SBs, you've already lost. It all begins with the man on the mound. I think Buehrle has proven that time and time again.