PDA

View Full Version : Is Ichiro the true baseball messiah?

UserNameBlank
05-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Some little snippets from an article (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/mariners/2007-05-15-cover-ichiro_N.htm) on USA Today's website:

On moving to the mound in the future:
"Once I turn 40," he says, "I can become a pitcher. I'm kind of serious about it. But I'll have to learn to throw a knuckleball. Right now, I could be a 'normal' pitcher," who can top out at 95 mph with a fastball.

On his crazy training:
I train on a 'little' hill," he says. "Very few people can keep up with me because it's so difficult. My friends come with me. Some throw up. As a joke, I got a lawyer to draw up a document that said, 'Whoever tries this with me, if you die participating, I'm not responsible for your death.' Nobody has signed it."

On Pete Rose:
"No one can deny his 4,000-plus hits. The gambling thing is something different. ... On the front of his Hall of Fame plaque they should put all of his records and amazing feats. When you flip it over, it should say, 'He gambled on baseball.' But I would vote for him."

I love this guy. I don't love that $16mil+ price tag he'll be carrying next year, but hey, if he can play RF, hit .330, steal 50 bags, and throw a 95mph fastball with a freaking knuckleball every 5 days, I think he's worth twice that.

Madvora
05-17-2007, 10:30 AM
This guy is the greatest player I have ever seen and I would kill to have him on the Sox, but I would never expect it. Who knows where he'll end up next year.
I love seeing him in the outfield, but I'd love to watch him pitch a few times too. That would be awesome. 95mph!

D. TODD
05-17-2007, 10:40 AM
He's a BAD MAN! Apologizes to Muhammad Ali. My favorite player in the game right now is the mighty ICHIRO!!!!!!!!!!

Fenway
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
This guy is the greatest player I have ever seen and I would kill to have him on the Sox, but I would never expect it. Who knows where he'll end up next year.
I love seeing him in the outfield, but I'd love to watch him pitch a few times too. That would be awesome. 95mph!

He will wind up east of the Hudson River and get probably close to 18-20 million.

INSox56
05-17-2007, 11:19 AM
He will wind up east of the Hudson River and get probably close to 18-20 million.:praying: please no...anyone but them.

Fenway
05-17-2007, 11:25 AM
:praying: please no...anyone but them.

This will be an ugly Boston-NYY bidding war.

If the Yankees fail to make the playoffs George may spend $300 million to try and have a winner going into the new ballpark.

SoxxoS
05-17-2007, 11:44 AM
George better spend his money on pitching or else he isn't going to make it to see another Yankees world series.

Add to that the face that Mariano Rivera is 80 and is starting to actually look his age - If you dont have that guy closing games in the playoffs anymore - And your #2 starter is Ching Ming Wang, that doesn't scare a lot of teams.

But it said Ichiro can pitch so maybe it wouldnt be that bad of signing.

palehozenychicty
05-17-2007, 11:47 AM

If the Yankees fail to make the playoffs George may spend $300 million to try and have a winner going into the new ballpark.

He'll try to buy hitting, and fail again. :D:

Fenway
05-17-2007, 11:58 AM
He'll try to buy hitting, and fail again. :D:

It is pretty obvious that George is not in the best of health and I suspect he will do anything to try to win before he goes to the big ballpark in the sky.

Another factor enters into it.

The contracts between the cable companies and YES expire after this season. If the Mets wind up doing better they will demand more $$$ from cable and if the Yankees implode the cable companies will want a cheaper rate. Millions are involved here.

Plus Boston will bid high to try and keep him from going to NYY.

DSpivack
05-17-2007, 12:52 PM
It is pretty obvious that George is not in the best of health and I suspect he will do anything to try to win before he goes to the big ballpark in the sky.

Another factor enters into it.

The contracts between the cable companies and YES expire after this season. If the Mets wind up doing better they will demand more $$$ from cable and if the Yankees implode the cable companies will want a cheaper rate. Millions are involved here.

Plus Boston will bid high to try and keep him from going to NYY.

You said east of the Hudson; you think the Mets will be a factor?

INSox56
05-17-2007, 01:28 PM

If the Yankees fail to make the playoffs George may spend $300 million to try and have a winner going into the new ballpark.I dunno, I'm all for the guy going to a contender and all. I'm also sure this is redundant and preaching to the choir, but I'm absolutely sick of the good free agents EVERY YEAR just coming down to, "who'll get him, sawx or the yanks". I'm just sick of it. I'd like to see him go to a team like the dodgers or some **** if it's not us. I hate this.

UserNameBlank
05-17-2007, 04:51 PM
And your #2 starter is Ching Ming Wang, that doesn't scare a lot of teams.

Wang is a stud. He's a No. 2 on this team too, if he isn't the ace.

Carlos Zambrano, Mark Buehrle, Ichiro, Jermaine Dye, Andruw Jones and more.

Yeah, George will buy them all.

Nothing against you personally Fenway, but you Boston/New York types immediately think every good player is coming to your team. It's not going to happen.

BTW, if Boston gets Ichiro they will actually have one exciting player. New York has Cabrera and Cano, but other than that they are a plodding one-dimensional offense.

spiffie
05-17-2007, 04:53 PM
I could see the Giants making a huge play for him next year, with the huge Asian population of San Fran. And eventually they will free up the huge sums they keep spending on Bonds, so the cash could be there.

RKMeibalane
05-17-2007, 04:54 PM
I dunno, I'm all for the guy going to a contender and all. I'm also sure this is redundant and preaching to the choir, but I'm absolutely sick of the good free agents EVERY YEAR just coming down to, "who'll get him, sawx or the yanks". I'm just sick of it. I'd like to see him go to a team like the dodgers or some **** if it's not us. I hate this.

The Dodgers are an interesting possibility. They signed Juan Pierre to a long-term deal this past winter, and have Andre Ethier, a developing star, as their rightfielder, with Matt Kemp, another talented outfielder, playing at Triple-A. However, Luis Gonzalez has an option-year for 2008, so it's possible the Dodgers may not bring him back if they think they can make a run at Ichiro. An outfield of Ethier-Pierre-Ichiro would be fun to watch.

I agree with those of you who don't want him to play for New York or Boston. It's getting old seeing those two try to outbid each other for players.

Flight #24
05-17-2007, 05:03 PM
One thing IMO is that Ichiro will make his selection based on who will have the best chance of winning. And barring spending on a lot of pitching AND making him a big offer, that's not going to be the Spankees. Assuming they're willing to pony up, I think the White Sox have as good a shot as any team, in fact outside of Boston I can't think of a team that would come close to the $$$ that needs a leadoff hitter and has a better chance for him to get a ring.

INSox56
05-17-2007, 05:55 PM
One thing IMO is that Ichiro will make his selection based on who will have the best chance of winning. And barring spending on a lot of pitching AND making him a big offer, that's not going to be the Spankees. Assuming they're willing to pony up, I think the White Sox have as good a shot as any team, in fact outside of Boston I can't think of a team that would come close to the $$$ that needs a leadoff hitter and has a better chance for him to get a ring.I agree with that. All things being equal, I could see him coming here instead of Boston per se....I'd say if anything because it's not a damn circus here. I agree that there is no way he doesn't go for who could be considered a contender. That's the only reason he can't stand staying in Seattle, he never even gets close.

oeo
05-17-2007, 07:31 PM
One thing IMO is that Ichiro will make his selection based on who will have the best chance of winning. And barring spending on a lot of pitching AND making him a big offer, that's not going to be the Spankees. Assuming they're willing to pony up, I think the White Sox have as good a shot as any team, in fact outside of Boston I can't think of a team that would come close to the $$$ that needs a leadoff hitter and has a better chance for him to get a ring.

I really want to see the Yankees try to get rid of Matsui, Abreu, or Damon...all their contracts blow. Not to mention, when are they ever going to give Cabrera a starting job?

Like you said, I think only the Red Sox would be our main competitor. I hope Kenny does whatever it takes to bring Ichiro here.

champagne030
05-25-2007, 11:56 AM
You said east of the Hudson; you think the Mets will be a factor?

The Mets will need either Beltran or Ichiro to switch postions. Plus the Mets will be spending for pitching, pitching and more pitching.

One ESPN mediot's opinion......

Atlanta will need a center fielder, but under new ownership, the Braves aren't going to spend big dollars.

So here's some early speculation: There will be very heavy bidding on Cameron, because he's going to be the cheapest option, and in the end, he signs with Atlanta.

The Texas Rangers, looking for a long-term center-field solution, will sign Hunter, a Texas guy.

That will leave Jones and Ichiro. I'm guessing that Ichiro winds up with the White Sox -- he fits a lot of what they do, with their running and hitting and hitting-and-running -- and that leaves Jones ... in Seattle. We know the Mariners don't shy away from Scott Boras clients, like Jones; they offered a huge deal to Barry Zito last offseason.

We shall see.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2882327&name=olney_buster&CMP=ILC-INHEAD (insider required)

He also says the Yankees and Red Sawx will not be involved because the the Yanks are overloaded with old OF's in Damon and Mastsui and the Sawx have been saving a place for CF prospect Jacoby Ellsbury and have their own bloated salaries in Manny, Phatty and Drew.

05-25-2007, 12:05 PM
The Mets will need either Beltran or Ichiro to switch postions. Plus the Mets will be spending for pitching, pitching and more pitching.

The Mets are overloaded with young talent in the OF.

HotelWhiteSox
05-25-2007, 01:40 PM
I stood behind home watching him take BP one game, have to see to believe the HRs that little guy launched

munchman33
05-25-2007, 03:01 PM

One ESPN mediot's opinion......

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2882327&name=olney_buster&CMP=ILC-INHEAD (insider required)

He also says the Yankees and Red Sawx will not be involved because the the Yanks are overloaded with old OF's in Damon and Mastsui and the Sawx have been saving a place for CF prospect Jacoby Ellsbury and have their own bloated salaries in Manny, Phatty and Drew.

I read this article too. I had no idea how many great outfielders were free agents after this year, especially in CF. And all the high spenders are pretty set with high priced outfields. Should be an interesting market. I can see Kenny going out and getting Ichiro if he falls to $10-12 per year, which he certainly could given the likely lack of bidders on the market for starting outfielders.

hi im skot
05-25-2007, 05:24 PM
If the Sox managed to get Ichiro, I would imagine it'd be even easier to get Iguchi to re-sign...

JorgeFabregas
05-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey, remember when Barry Zito was a lock to go to the Yankees over the summer? Good times.

soltrain21
05-25-2007, 07:40 PM
If it comes down to resigning Mark or signing Ichiro, which one do you want?

I'm going with Ichiro.

hi im skot
05-25-2007, 11:49 PM
If it comes down to resigning Mark or signing Ichiro, which one do you want?

I'm going with Ichiro.

Hmmm...Buehrle. We've got Sweeney, Owens, and Anderson in our system to help us in the outfield. Mark is a proven stud, and to get anywhere, you've gotta have the pitching.

But man...Ichiro on the southside? :drool:

AngryCollins
05-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Imagine if he played on the trampoline in Minneapolis. He would hit .400.