PDA

View Full Version : The Cell never looked better

Fenway
05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Because of the rainout in Boston last night a bunch of our crew decided to sit down and watch the YES HD feed of last nights Sox-NYY game.

NESN's director really was impressed at how good USCF now looks and he said the change from blue to green just makes the park look so much better on video. The addition of the Scout seats just makes the shot from the CF camera 1000% better as now you see fans instead of that big door.

With the improvements you can now see why HOK is using the USCF model for the new Yankee Stadium.

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/nyybpk01.jpg

skobabe8
05-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Because of the rainout in Boston last night a bunch of our crew decided to sit down and watch the YES HD feed of last nights Sox-NYY game.

NESN's director really was impressed at how good USCF now looks and he said the change from blue to green kust makes the park look so much better on video. The addition of the Scout seats just makes the shot from the CF camera 1000% better as now you see fans instead of that big door.

With the improvements you can now see why HOK is using the USCF model for the new Yankee Stadium.

I never thought I would hear that in my lifetime!

Luke
05-17-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm just glad to see a new stadium that's not creating any fake nooks and silly angles.

sox1970
05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm just glad to see a new stadium that's not creating any fake nooks and silly angles.

Amen. I'd say Houston is the biggest joke of a new stadium.

Mr.1Dog
05-17-2007, 10:53 AM
At the new Yankee stadium, are you going to be to walk around the entire lower level concourse like the Cell?

Fenway
05-17-2007, 10:55 AM

The dimensions at the new Stadium will be exactly the same as the old.

It will have the same kind of concourse as The Cell only wider. New Yorkers will be in heaven when you consider how narrow the concourse is in the old Stadium.

D. TODD
05-17-2007, 11:07 AM
The dimensions at the new Stadium will be exactly the same as the old.

It will have the same kind of concourse as The Cell only wider. New Yorkers will be in heaven when you consider how narrow the concourse is in the old Stadium.
Man, I can attest to that. I was at Yankee Stadium once and the concourse was beyond tiny. It felt like I was in a cramped alley or something, it was almost as dingy as an alley as well.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-17-2007, 11:19 AM
At the new Yankee stadium, are you going to be to walk around the entire lower level concourse like the Cell?

Once you pay the $7 section toll at each location.
4 sections, casual stroll around the park, one beer(@ $9) - #36 to walk around venerable Yankee Stadium.

Fenway
05-17-2007, 11:21 AM
I doubt they will let the bleacher crowd loose into the rest of the stadium.

jabrch
05-17-2007, 11:25 AM
I doubt they will let the bleacher crowd loose into the rest of the stadium.

They shouldn't even let most of that crowd loose into society.

Fenway
05-17-2007, 11:31 AM
They shouldn't even let most of that crowd loose into society.

Some idiot wore a Red Sox hat into the bleacher :tongue:

Mod edit: language and visuals warning.

TwBa3XA3Sl4

They are an interesting bunch

Sweet Caroline.. YANKEE STYLE (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-tDMjxCt3x0&mode=related&search=)

Don't wear a Met's Jersey to Yankee Stadium (http://youtube.com/watch?v=T7rWh654214)

russ99
05-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Amen. I'd say Houston is the biggest joke of a new stadium.

I like the Juice Box, it has some interesting character. The Crawford Boxes are also the way they are because of the street behind the stadium, just like the old parks. The only "tacked-on" part would be the fair-pole/hill in center and that's just too cool for words, IMO.

Better than the decaying Astrodome or playing outside in Houston humidity...

My money's on Miami/Tampa for the worst of the newer stadiums.

Also, referring to the Yankee Stadium drawing, I can't see George going for that "loge" area - the deck between the lower and upper ones. Something tells me that's going to be skyboxes.

oeo
05-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I like the Juice Box, it has some interesting character. The Crawford Boxes are also the way they are because of the street behind the stadium, just like the old parks. The only "tacked-on" part would be the fair-pole/hill in center and that's just too cool for words, IMO.

I hate that wall out there in which you can't tell whether close balls are homeruns or not. A lot of people probably forgot about this (but since everyone says the Sox caught every break, I like to bring it up)...WS Game 3 should have never went to extra innings. Jason Lane hit a homerun which was not...the reason? That ****ing wall...you can't tell where it hits in respect to the line.

TheVulture
05-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Some idiot wore a Red Sox hat into the bleacher :tongue:

Seems you'd have to be an idiot to wear a Yankees hat into the bleacher.

They were much worse on the Mets fan, BTW.

eriqjaffe
05-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I hate the Juice Box, it has too much forced "character." The most "tacked-on" part would be the fair-pole/hill in center and that's just too contrived for words, IMO. The only thing resembling organic ballpark design are the Crawford Boxes which are the way they are because of the street behind the stadium, just like the old parks.Fixed your quote to make it a true statement.

edit: oEo made the same point I did...

Luke
05-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Also, referring to the Yankee Stadium drawing, I can't see George going for that "loge" area - the deck between the lower and upper ones. Something tells me that's going to be skyboxes.

It's not because of the street. There's a big grassy area behind the stadium, and street is 160' from the back of the wall. It's like that because they liked the look of the old wall from the train depot. If they had wanted to, they could have built a stadium with a deeper left field.

DSpivack
05-17-2007, 02:40 PM

While both of those stadiums are awful, neither of them are really that new. Dolphin Stadium opened in 1987, while Tropicana (or the Florida Suncoast Dome, as it was known at the time) was completed in 1990.

Hitmen77
05-17-2007, 02:53 PM
I hate the Juice Box, it has too much forced "character." The most "tacked-on" part would be the fair-pole/hill in center and that's just too contrived for words, IMO. The only thing resembling organic ballpark design are the Crawford Boxes which are the way they are because of the street behind the stadium, just like the old parks.

Fixed your quote to make it a true statement.

edit: oEo made the same point I did...

Very well done. I completely agree.

eriqjaffe
05-17-2007, 03:15 PM
While both of those stadiums are awful, neither of them are really that new. Dolphin Stadium opened in 1987, while Tropicana (or the Florida Suncoast Dome, as it was known at the time) was completed in 1990.Yep. Both are older than the Cell.

Heck, Dolphin Stadium was designed to be a multi-purpose facility, which is usually bad news for baseball park aesthetics.

C-Dawg
05-17-2007, 04:40 PM
A lot of people probably forgot about this (but since everyone says the Sox caught every break, I like to bring it up)...WS Game 3 should have never went to extra innings. Jason Lane hit a homerun which was not....

I like to bring it up too.... Jon Garland would have won that game if not for the goofy wall and the umps call.

Frontman
05-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Minute Maid park is one of the silliest things I've ever seen. The only thing that makes it worth even talking about what this:

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2005/10/26/PH2005102600644.jpg

this was pretty cool too

http://en.epochtimes.com/news_images/2005-10-26-whitesox.jpg

and of course this

http://www3.turkishpress.com/i-u/SGE.UXG36.271005045658.photo00.quicklook.default-245x168.jpg

and this

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-10/28/xin_23100228090784427941.jpg

Besides that, it would make a neat amusement park. It even has a train already!

:D:

Frontman
05-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Back to the original point of the thread, I take a lot of pride in the fact that my brother got to work on the re-modelling at the park. With as much as we all love the "new look Cell" it makes me very happy to know he worked on it.

TheOldRoman
05-17-2007, 08:30 PM

NESN's director really was impressed at how good USCF now looks and he said the change from blue to green just makes the park look so much better on video. The addition of the Scout seats just makes the shot from the CF camera 1000% better as now you see fans instead of that big door.

I think that, just as much as the green seats, the park looks 1000x better because of the new walls (installed this year), and the new warning track. The park is truely picturesque. Seeing replays of plays near the wall remind me just how far the park has come. Look back to when the park opened. The warning track was bigger, and it was a nasty whitish/greyish/pinkish color that looked absolutely terrible.
As for the walls, they installed new ones this year. In 04, they painted the old walls green, and it was a dark, greyish green. This year the new pads are a nice, bright green that pops against the background of the grass and warning track.

DSpivack
05-17-2007, 10:06 PM
I think that, just as much as the green seats, the park looks 1000x better because of the new walls (installed this year), and the new warning track. The park is truely picturesque. Seeing replays of plays near the wall remind me just how far the park has come. Look back to when the park opened. The warning track was bigger, and it was a nasty whitish/greyish/pinkish color that looked absolutely terrible.
As for the walls, they installed new ones this year. In 04, they painted the old walls green, and it was a dark, greyish green. This year the new pads are a nice, bright green that pops against the background of the grass and warning track.

Gah, your description just makes me can't wait to get to USCF even more this summer.

MarySwiss
05-17-2007, 10:17 PM

Wow! Last year was my first year back since before the renovations, and I was impressed with how terrific the park looked. Now I can't wait to see it again next weekend!

cwsfannick
05-17-2007, 11:16 PM

Is it me or does it look like they have taken prime seating away in left and right center?

StillMissOzzie
05-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Is it me or does it look like they have taken prime seating away in left and right center?

I'm guessing that's where the bullpens are.

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2007, 12:42 AM
Man, I can attest to that. I was at Yankee Stadium once and the concourse was beyond tiny. It felt like I was in a cramped alley or something, it was almost as dingy as an alley as well.Sorta like old Comiskey? :tongue:

That was my guess too.

skobabe8
05-18-2007, 01:06 AM

You are absolutely 1000% correct. I noticed this, but didnt think there were too many people out there who as weird as me who noticed it too. The walls are a different and much nicer color green. The old warning track always looked bad before, but now its darker and looks great.

anewman35
05-18-2007, 07:39 AM

There's much clearer renderings on Yankees.com, and this area is the bullpens and the new Monument Park.

ewokpelts
05-18-2007, 09:08 AM
As for the walls, they installed new ones this year. In 04, they painted the old walls green, and it was a dark, greyish green. This year the new pads are a nice, bright green that pops against the background of the grass and warning track.the walls are the same. they still have the blue color on the backside. I know, because my bleacher seats are 4 rows from the wall in center.

TheOldRoman
05-18-2007, 01:36 PM
the walls are the same. they still have the blue color on the backside. I know, because my bleacher seats are 4 rows from the wall in center.I don't know why there would be blue, but I can promise you that the padding is new. It also has more of a leather look than the old wall, which had a flat finish.

Fenway
05-18-2007, 01:38 PM
I don't know why there would be blue, but I can promise you that the padding is new. It also has more of a leather look than the old wall, which had a flat finish.

padding was the first thing the NESN director noticed he loved it

USCF used to be a tough venue to televise out of, now it is one of the best

Hitmen77
05-19-2007, 12:18 AM

When I see a clip of Bo Jackson hitting a HR in the '93 AL West clincher, I'm amazed at how bad the outfield wall looked compared to now. Bright blue padding and then the concrete facade of the outfields seats set back a few feet. Yikes!

Now you see that green wall that seems to blend right in to the outfield seats. It's amazing how much of a lack of aesthetics the designers of the park had when it was built.