PDA

View Full Version : Score just announced Molina going to Charlotte

SCarolina_Ron
05-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Score just announced Molina going to Charlotte as of tonight. Sox will say who comes up tomorrow. Obviously must be Hall.

whitesoxfan
05-17-2007, 12:17 AM
Good. No offense towards Molina, but he was a huge hole in the lineup whenever he would play. At least he was able to get a hit before he went back down to the minors.

Now just give us Thome and I think our offense will start to come back to life.

WhiteSox5187
05-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Good. No offense towards Molina, but he was a huge hole in the lineup whenever he would play. At least he was able to get a hit before he went back down to the minors.

I agree. Molina was a surprisingly solid defensive catcher and did a good job with the pitching staff, but he had no buisness in the majors. He just looked lost at the plate. I'm glad he got his hit, and I hope we hear from him again...just not this season.

PS: Take Sisco with you!

BanditJimmy
05-17-2007, 12:36 AM
PS: Take Sisco with you!

Never I though I would agree that Boone Logan appears to be a better fit right now than Sisco.

I guess the taller of two midgets (even though each guy is about 7 feet tall).

It's Dankerific
05-17-2007, 01:29 AM
But Molina was just getting going!!!

More of Ozzie craziness!!! lets have a stable roster OZ!!!

JB98
05-17-2007, 02:13 AM
But Molina was just getting going!!!

More of Ozzie craziness!!! lets have a stable roster OZ!!!

Teal? Hall is a big-league catcher, both offensively and defensively. It will be good to have him on the team, provided he can stay healthy.

Soxfanspcu11
05-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Teal? Hall is a big-league catcher, both offensively and defensively. It will be good to have him on the team, provided he can stay healthy.

Agreed. That is the whole reason that KW went out and got him during the off-season.

I loved Chris Widger, but he really just was not that good, Hall is.

When I heard about the Hall signing when it happened, I was very excited about it!

As you said, he is a "big-league catcher". And the fact that he will be able to spell AJ as well as be our guy when we face lefties is a huge plus.

You have to look at it this way, Hall is our replacement for Widger. A pretty good upgrade. Molina was our sub for Hall. But now that Hall appears to be healthy, the situation is unfolding the way that KW intended.

My hope is that Hall will bring some energy with him and help pump up the offense.

I know that it is a bit crazy to say and hope that Toby Hall will be the ignition for our offense, but I believe that that could be the case. Along with Thome coming back around the same time. It could be just what this team needs!

It's Dankerific
05-17-2007, 02:35 AM

I just don't think Molina can keep swinging the bat this bad. once he gets rolling, he could probably help us win 7-10 games in a row with the kind of pitching we've had. The law of averages means he can only start hitting better and better. Once we he is hitting on all cylinders (and he hasn't yet this whole year)...

MUsoxfan
05-17-2007, 02:43 AM
I just don't think Molina can keep swinging the bat this bad. once he gets rolling, he could probably help us win 7-10 games in a row with the kind of pitching we've had. The law of averages means he can only start hitting better and better. Once we he is hitting on all cylinders (and he hasn't yet this whole year)...

I believe he's a .244 career hitter in the minor leagues that's batting .056 in the majors. He's certainly expendable at this point of the season

EDIT: He's actually a .222 minor league hitter in 113 games

IlliniSox4Life
05-17-2007, 03:13 AM
Any chance that KW calls up a pitcher to pitch for Sunday, and waits till he sends him down to call up Hall?

Probably not, as if this were the case, he would wait until Saturday to make the move so we have a second catcher.

Frontman
05-17-2007, 05:59 AM
Any chance that KW calls up a pitcher to pitch for Sunday, and waits till he sends him down to call up Hall?

Probably not, as if this were the case, he would wait until Saturday to make the move so we have a second catcher.

He might be doing that, but that's a HUGE risk in case of injury mid-game. You need a backup catcher on staff.

As far as Molina, THANK GOD. He wasn't doing it with the bat, and his catching was so-so. I don't think he had the pitchers confidence, and it showed at times.

Man, I so want Hall, Thome, and Pods healthy.

anewman35
05-17-2007, 06:18 AM

If they were going to call up a pitcher for Sunday, it would make more sense to send down whoever Thome is replacing (Sweeney? Terrero?), add the pitcher for a day, and then send him down for Thome.

skobabe8
05-17-2007, 07:06 AM
I just hope Hall is ready. The last thing we need is for him to be on and off the DL all season long.

anewman35
05-17-2007, 07:13 AM
I just hope Hall is ready. The last thing we need is for him to be on and off the DL all season long.

I'd take that over "lost for the season" which looked possible at first.

DumpJerry
05-17-2007, 07:24 AM
I don't think we'll see a pitcher called up for Sunday. Ozzie pulled Danks yesterday after only 88 pitches and he was still going strong (got pulled after starting the inning with a KO).

In the old days, there were nothing but 4 man rotations who went on 3 days' rest. Nowadays with the advances in training, conditioning, etc. three days rest is nothing now and then. Also, those 4 man rotations went much, much deeper into the games (8-9 innings).

Koufax once went on two day's rest in the World Series and he had virtually no cartiledge left in his throwing elbow.:o:

Jaffar
05-17-2007, 08:10 AM
I don't think we'll see a pitcher called up for Sunday. Ozzie pulled Danks yesterday after only 88 pitches and he was still going strong (got pulled after starting the inning with a KO).

I knew the kid was pitching well but who did he knock out?

ondafarm
05-17-2007, 08:36 AM
I think Sunday it will be Danks. If you screw anybody up timing wise, you do it with the youngest arm, and besides it keeps the big four all still on track.

Mickster
05-17-2007, 08:43 AM

In the old days, there were nothing but 4 man rotations who went on 3 days' rest. Nowadays with the advances in training, conditioning, etc. three days rest is nothing now and then. Also, those 4 man rotations went much, much deeper into the games (8-9 innings).

Koufax once went on two day's rest in the World Series and he had virtually no cartiledge left in his throwing elbow.:o:

On the post-game press conference last night, Ozzie indicated that he was leaning toward Contreras making the Sunday start on short rest over Danks. I can't see how this could be considering Jose threw more pitches last night than Danks, but I digress.....

INSox56
05-17-2007, 09:23 AM
LOL The more I hear about him, the more I'm liking Hall a lot....from today's ST:

''Put it this way: Toby has called and/or sent me a text the last three days, three times a day,'' Williams said Wednesday. ''I told him as soon as [Charlotte manager] Marc Bombard gives him the thumbs up, then he gets to come back.
''To be honest, I halfway expected him to be here [Wednesday morning] because the last text he sent on Tuesday was, 'I'm getting on a plane, paying for it myself and getting there.'''

jenn2080
05-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Score just announced Molina going to Charlotte as of tonight. Sox will say who comes up tomorrow. Obviously must be Hall.

Good. He was not doing much for us anyway.

Chez
05-17-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm happy to get Hall's bat on the bench or in the lineup, but I'm concerned about his throwing. Teams like the Twins and Angels will run wild on him.

Gammons Peter
05-17-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm happy to get Hall's bat on the bench or in the lineup, but I'm concerned about his throwing. Teams like the Twins and Angels will run wild on him.

DH him until Thome gets back, then catch him only when Buehrle is pitching

D. TODD
05-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Damn, I just saw his 1st major league hit yesterday. I was hoping I could say that I was there for the first hit of the greatest Molina in MLB history.:D:

soxfan13
05-17-2007, 09:57 AM
I think Sunday it will be Danks. If you screw anybody up timing wise, you do it with the youngest arm, and besides it keeps the big four all still on track.

On the one pre-game show before the second game Ozzie already said it definately would not be Danks and that he was leaning towards a starting "committee".

Madvora
05-17-2007, 10:01 AM
DH him until Thome gets back, then catch him only when Buehrle is pitching
This is a highly unlikely scenario because he would be unavailable to catch if anything happened to Pierzynski. The DH cannot switch to another position, if he's out as DH, he's out of the game.

MisterB
05-17-2007, 10:03 AM
This is a highly unlikely scenario because he would be unavailable to catch if anything happened to Pierzynski. The DH cannot switch to another position, if he's out as DH, he's out of the game.

The DH can switch to the field, but then you lose the DH for the rest of the game (pitchers/pinch hitters have to bat).

kittle42
05-17-2007, 11:06 AM

This is one of the more asinine things I've seen in several years on the board. The guy is not a major leaguer, pure and simple. Hell, from those minor league stats, he's barely a minor leaguer!

Mickster
05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Score update (11:30a) was the first to officially say that Toby Hall has been called up - not that we assumed anything different.

DSpivack
05-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Damn, I just saw his 1st major league hit yesterday. I was hoping I could say that I was there for the first hit of the greatest Molina in MLB history.:D:

He's not related to the Brothers Molina at C, is he?

CHIsoxNation
05-17-2007, 11:44 AM
He's not related to the Brothers Molina at C, is he?

No. But he has said (jokingly) that he wishes he was.

TDog
05-17-2007, 12:03 PM

That wasn't the World Series game Koufax lost to the White Sox, which is irrelevant to the discussion. I just like pointing out that the White Sox Koufax in the World Series. In those October days when only two teams remain and winter looms, pitchers have been known to give everything they have, sometimes more than they may seem to have.

I remember the White Sox have going with a five-man rotation in 1976, when manager Paul Richards explained it was part of his philosophy. Many teams were still going with four starters. In the 1983 season, the Sox won 99 games with a fourth-starter issue, and LaMarr Hoyt started one out of every 4.5 games during the regular season. Their run was based on three strong starters. The 1969 Cubs had a fourth-starter issue from opening day and didn't go any deeper except in emergencies. Ferguson Jenkins routinely pitched complete games on three days rest in the midst of his string of 20-win seassons. He didn't win in September, but Tom Seaver did while essentially doing the same thing. So did Jerry Koosman. Indeed, these were great pitchers, but even rookie Gary Gentry started 35 games -- one game for every 4.6 games on the Mets' schedule. Now when a pitcher goes on three day's rest, ESPN makes it sound like a suicide mission. And somewhere in New England, Wilbur Wood laughs.

I have confidence that Ozzie Guillen's decision of who to start Sunday will be in what he believes is the best interests of the team. I won't have any problem if he decides to pitch Contreras.

oeo
05-17-2007, 12:40 PM

Everyone is a huge hole in the lineup right now. Good luck to Gustavo.

IlliniSox4Life
05-17-2007, 02:20 PM
LOL The more I hear about him, the more I'm liking Hall a lot....from today's ST:

''Put it this way: Toby has called and/or sent me a text the last three days, three times a day,'' Williams said Wednesday. ''I told him as soon as [Charlotte manager] Marc Bombard gives him the thumbs up, then he gets to come back.
''To be honest, I halfway expected him to be here [Wednesday morning] because the last text he sent on Tuesday was, 'I'm getting on a plane, paying for it myself and getting there.'''

That's awesome. Sounds like a guy I want on my team.

Frontman
05-17-2007, 04:28 PM

I love that type of attitude. That's someone who wants to do anything and everything to get into the game. From his pre-game interview today with the Ranger, I'm all set to see Toby Hall behind the plate on days AJ needs off.

Speaking of which, why is there talk that AJ needs tomorrow off? Is it that the Cubs are pitching a lefty tomorrow?

kittle42
05-17-2007, 04:46 PM
I love that type of attitude. That's someone who wants to do anything and everything to get into the game. From his pre-game interview today with the Ranger, I'm all set to see Toby Hall behind the plate on days AJ needs off.

Speaking of which, why is there talk that AJ needs tomorrow off? Is it that the Cubs are pitching a lefty tomorrow?

Yup, and Hall will be in there, batting sixth or seventh is my guess.

Frontman
05-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Yup, and Hall will be in there, batting sixth or seventh is my guess.

K thanks.

JB98
05-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Were you drunk when you made this post?

Tragg
05-17-2007, 05:26 PM
This is an expected, obvious and non controversial move, or am I missing something?

The only real decision will be which 2 of Sweeney, Taurero (sp) and a reliever goes back when Pods and Thome return.

Glad to have Hall back.

maurice
05-17-2007, 05:41 PM
This is an expected, obvious and non controversial move, or am I missing something?

You're not missing anything. The only thing remotely suprising about this is that Ozzie recently said that the reports on Hall were "not good."

Cuck_The_Fubs
05-17-2007, 06:02 PM
I see where you are getting this, but why exactly do you do it to the youngest arm? Is it because most of the veterans already have set customs/paths that they follow? I mean, Danks is on a roll at the moment, just like anyone else in our starting 5.

It's Dankerific
05-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Were you drunk when you made this post?

No. I can't stand how we're holding back Molina's progress. He's lights out. Calls a good game, and just got his hitting stroke down.

JB98
05-17-2007, 07:06 PM
No. I can't stand how we're holding back Molina's progress. He's lights out. Calls a good game, and just got his hitting stroke down.

You're the only person on earth who feels that way. Molina has been fine defensively, but he can't hit a lick. He's never been able to hit a lick. He's not even considered our best catching prospect. :?:

Vernam
05-17-2007, 07:16 PM
You're the only person on earth who feels that way. Molina has been fine defensively, but he can't hit a lick. He's never been able to hit a lick. He's not even considered our best catching prospect. :?:Before the game today, even DJ referred to Molina as "not a major leaguer."

Unless runners steal like mad on Hall, he'll be a nice addition. AJ hasn't exactly been throwing a lot of runners out, though he at least acts as a deterrent. When Hall catches, we should just pretend Garcia is pitching. IOW, no chance of catching anyone stealing. :cool:

Vernam