PDA

View Full Version : Favorite pitchers.

JermaineDye05
05-16-2007, 10:05 PM
So who are some of your favorite pitchers in the majors right now, these can be starters, relievers, closers, whatever.

I have to say I love Liriano, even though he's a Twinkie, he's stuff is just nasty and he has great composure on the mound.

I also love Jake Peavy, my favorite pitcher not in a White Sox uniform. He has great movement on his fastball and his overall stuff is just nasty, and he's not even 26 yet.

MUsoxfan
05-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Though my opinion isn't shared by many, David Wells and Curt Schilling are among my favorite players of all-time. I also enjoy the young Pirates staff...Gorzellany and Snell. Jake Peavy is fun to watch as well

Trav
05-16-2007, 11:13 PM
I like to watch Cole Hammels or however you spell it, ever since I saw him in AAA. He was absolutely dominate and I kept my eye out for him to see when he came up. Man, the Garcia trade got my hopes up before I learned who the minor league pitchers were.

Chisox003
05-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Homer pick, but John Danks is quickly becoming one of my favorite players at any position to watch. Far from having the best "stuff," but the way he attacks hitters and is flat out fearless on the mound is just fun to watch...and he just turned 22.

Thanks, KW. :gulp:

DSpivack
05-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Granted he's a Red Sox, but Wakefield. I just love watching the knuckleball.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Zito. I just love watching that huge 12-6 curve.

PKalltheway
05-17-2007, 12:57 AM
In all honesty...Johan Santana. I also like watching Bobby Jenks. I can't really think of anyone else I really enjoy watching (other than Sox pitchers).

If you asked me back in 2000 or 2001 when I was in middle school, I would EASILY say Randy Johnson. Watching him pitch back then was so much fun.

AnkleSox
05-17-2007, 02:31 AM
Chris Capauno

And obviously Danks. Throws quickly and aggressively like Buehrle, but I think in time his stuff may become nastier. I think he's got a great physical and mental makeup to be a consistently good big league starter.

Another homer pick I have is Aardsma. After more than 4 batters he seems to tire out, but his stuff for an inning is awesome.

Although he's not having his greatest year, I think Dontrelle Willis is also one of the most fun pitchers to watch. He's a competitor, he's got some crazy motion, he loves the game, and he can hit.

Soxfanspcu11
05-17-2007, 03:17 AM
I am going to have to go with Roy Halladay. An AMAZING pitcher who is always consistent. Despite injury, you can always count on him. And despite his enormous talent, he seems like a very chill, down to Earth guy.

And even though he is closely associated with the flubs, I would have to say Greg Maddux as well. IMHO, no other pitcher has done so much with so little. Meaning, there is really nothing "special" about Maddux. He is not over-powering, his stuff isin't as nasty as other pitchers, but he is very smart and very pinpoint. I mean, those seasons in the early 90's with Atlanta, when his ERA was around 2, are VERY impressive. Obviously, with age, he has fallen off in the past few years. But the fact that he has been in THE SHOW for 2 decades, despite possessing the best "stuff" is awesome in my book.

I would also include John Smoltz. Even after he was taken out of his starter roll and became a bullpen guy, he never complained or faltered. He went out there and did his job, and did it very effectively and helped his team win. You could expect a guy like him to perhaps get a big head and refuse to do what the Braves asked of him, but he didn't. You could tell that he was more concerned with the team winning. That was more important to him than his personal stats and pride. That is very commendable.

Of course, all of this being said, my fav pitchers will always be the ones who list 333 35th Street as their employment address! :bandance:

eastchicagosoxfan
05-17-2007, 05:07 AM
Because I see him a lot, Johan Santana. If he remains healthy, he has Cooperstown written all over him. He seems to bring his A-game everytime his toes the rubber.
El Duque is another guy. The angles, the motions, the 3/4, he reminds me of the extremely talented guy in high school, just showing off all the possibilities pitching has to offer.
Mark Buerhle is great to watch pitch. He's deliberate, throws strikes, and when he's on, throws pitches that look easy, but are hard to hit. He makes it look effortless.
Juan Marichal. He didn't care about the guy on first. He probably figured the guy was lucky to get there, and the next guy to bat won't be so lucky.

Frontman
05-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Johan Santana
CC Sabathia (how does one with that amount of weight around the middle keep throwing like that as a starter?)
Buehrle of course
Garland as he's so under-rated, it isn't even funny.

I know I'll probably be ridiculed for this, but Carlos Zambrano. That guy is just nuts to watch. I like that he's a gamer, he contributes both with his pitching and his hitting.

And you know it will eventually happen, but I'd love to see him just plow over a catcher with a close play at the plate.

soxfanatlanta
05-17-2007, 06:41 AM
John Smoltz: his post-season numbers speak for themselves. Soxfanspcu11: he didn't complain as much as he begged to get back into the rotation.
Johan Santana: 'nuff said.
Roy Oswalt: I love watching him throw his entire body into the pitch
Scott Shields: filthy
Buehrle: does not mess around on the mound

DSpivack
05-17-2007, 11:56 AM
After the nightcap ended last night, flipped on the end of Dodgers-Cardinals. Never had watched Takashi Saito before, but he has nasty out pitches and real live movement on his fastball and slider. Beat Pujols in a great at-bat, in a one-run game with a runner on.

palehozenychicty
05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I like to watch Cole Hammels or however you spell it, ever since I saw him in AAA. He was absolutely dominate and I kept my eye out for him to see when he came up. Man, the Garcia trade got my hopes up before I learned who the minor league pitchers were.

Cole Hamels is the real deal. That duo between him and Lincecum makes you love baseball all over again, despite the self-absorption of ESPN, Clemens, Bonds, Yanks-Red Sawx.