PDA

View Full Version : Vasquez in the bullpen?

Boondock Saint
05-16-2007, 08:23 PM
I was at the game today, and after the Yankees hit a HR in the 8th, I checked to see if Jenks was warming up. What I saw was Vasquez up and throwing. My question is, is it common for pitchers not preparing to come into the game to throw in the bullpen, or was there some strange plan to throw him in there?

IlliniSox4Life
05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I was at the game today, and after the Yankees hit a HR in the 8th, I checked to see if Jenks was warming up. What I saw was Vasquez up and throwing. My question is, is it common for pitchers not preparing to come into the game to throw in the bullpen, or was there some strange plan to throw him in there?

I don't know for sure, but I do know pitchers throw a little bit on their off days to condition themselves and practice. Since there was a day game and little other time today to throw, if Vazquez was scheduled to throw today they might have just had him do it during the game.

sox1970
05-16-2007, 08:33 PM

It's his side day.

gosiu
05-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I've seen a few starters pitch an inning of relief on their side days (Wang and Pettite in New York, Bush in Milwaukee). I think pitchers should do it more often.

WhiteSox5187
05-17-2007, 12:34 AM
I think they were just trying to get his work in...I remember during Buerhle's no hitter Ozzie had Masset up in the sixth to get some work in.

BanditJimmy
05-17-2007, 12:38 AM
With the DH & rain, there was no way for Vasquez to get his side work in unless he would have arrived at the park at 9 AM.

eriqjaffe
05-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Farmer & Singleton mentioned that Vazquez was throwing, and Farmer quickly mentioned that it was just a regular side-day scheduled throwing session.

DSpivack
05-17-2007, 11:39 AM
And I thought the thread title was referring to Carlos Vasquez.