PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Sean Casey has a heart of gold

Fenway
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
wonderful story :smile:

When Sean Casey left following Monday night’s game against the Red Sox, the Detroit first baseman didn’t return to the team hotel with the rest of the Tigers. Instead, he caught a ride to Lawrence in anticipation of a 6 a.m. wake-up call to prepare to feed the hungry at Cor Unum Meal Center.
The center is run by the Labels Are For Jars organization (labelsareforjars.org) that Casey helped fund and found back in 2001 with his friend, the Rev. Paul O’Brien. The doors opened last autumn, but yesterday marked the first time Casey had been able to be in action and help feed, and then clean up after, more than 75 people.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=1001498&format=text

WhiteSox1983
05-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Sean Casey has always been a great person.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-16-2007, 06:24 PM
He was also voted the friendliest player in baseball in a players poll in SI. He received 46% of the votes. For what its worth, Thome came in 2nd followed by Mike Sweeney, Dave Roberts, and David Ortiz. The least friendly were Bonds, Jeff Kent, AJ, A-Rod, Randy Johnson.

Frontman
05-16-2007, 06:47 PM
He was also voted the friendliest player in baseball in a players poll in SI. He received 46% of the votes. For what its worth, Thome came in 2nd followed by Mike Sweeney, Dave Roberts, and David Ortiz.

Casey is in great company with guys like that. I'm glad you see this featured more and more with MLB. The NFL does an incredible job of marketing their efforts, MLB should do the same with their players.

"The least friendly were Bonds, Jeff Kent, AJ, A-Rod, Randy Johnson."

Ok, Kent, Bonds, and Johnson I can see them being unfriendly. I think A-Rod and AJ get the "worst" treatment due to who they are, versus anything they do or don't do.

BoysMom3
05-16-2007, 10:39 PM
That is a great story - thanks for sharing!

tstrike2000
05-17-2007, 12:53 PM
He used to do stuff like that when he played for the Reds which is why the Cincy community was sad to see him go.

MarySwiss
05-17-2007, 09:32 PM
Damn, I hate it when a guy who plays on an enemy team does something nice. This reminds me of how I felt when I heard that Reggie Miller does a lot of charity work.

If any of you know for a fact that a Twins player is a really nice, good-hearted guy, please keep it to yourselves. :redneck

Oblong
05-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Damn, I hate it when a guy who plays on an enemy team does something nice. This reminds me of how I felt when I heard that Reggie Miller does a lot of charity work.

If any of you know for a fact that a Twins player is a really nice, good-hearted guy, please keep it to yourselves. :redneck

He's on pace for 30 extra base hits this year. Yes. 30. All year. Maggs has like 29 already. I don't know how that's supposed to make you feel but it sure puts a dent in my positive feelings. He's a first baseman! I think neifi perez would do better.

cwsfannick
05-17-2007, 11:11 PM
He's on pace for 30 extra base hits this year. Yes. 30. All year. Maggs has like 29 already. I don't know how that's supposed to make you feel but it sure puts a dent in my positive feelings. He's a first baseman! I think neifi perez would do better.

I was wondering how long it was going to take you to respond to this thread.

He might be a good guy off the field, but I'm guessing if he doesn't start producing offensively, then DD will be going out to look for a replacement.

ewokpelts
05-18-2007, 09:18 AM

If any of you know for a fact that a Twins player is a really nice, good-hearted guy, please keep it to yourselves. :redneckTorrii Hunter is a founding member of the "Kick a Puppy" organ-I-zation. It's initials are KAP. So Torrii can always say he's popping a KAP.