PDA

View Full Version : World Series Ring on eBay

OzzieBall2004
05-15-2007, 05:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-WORLD-SERIES-CHAMP-CHICAGO-WHITE-SOX-DIAMOND-RING_W0QQitemZ300111863690QQihZ020QQcategoryZ60125 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow...

http://www.mwlguide.com/managers/thompson.html

What a hack. He gets the ring and hawks it 2 years later.

stl_sox_fan
05-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Man Soo Lee would never auction his ring!

jenn2080
05-15-2007, 06:02 PM
:rolleyes: Unbelieveable. :mad:

BanditJimmy
05-15-2007, 06:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-WORLD-SERIES-CHAMP-CHICAGO-WHITE-SOX-DIAMOND-RING_W0QQitemZ300111863690QQihZ020QQcategoryZ60125 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow...

http://www.mwlguide.com/managers/thompson.html

What a hack. He gets the ring and hawks it 2 years later.

What did this scrub do to deserve a ring?

Hokiesox
05-15-2007, 06:04 PM
He's in Fredneck? I sense a DC Sox fan road trip to go yell at this guy!

GlassSox
05-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Man Soo Lee would never auction his ring!

I agree, we miss Man Soo Lee. I'm glad that I got his autograph before he left.

DC Sox Fan
05-15-2007, 07:05 PM
He's in Fredneck? I sense a DC Sox fan road trip to go yell at this guy!

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/%7Evincentl/gifs/blue_brothers.jpg
We're on a mission from God...

chisoxfanatic
05-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Whomever would sell something that special (and something so hard to win) obviously does not appreciate winning the title--and that is just sad considering how meaningful winning that World Series was. He should be ashamed with himself.

Scottiehaswheels
05-15-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't blame him.. He's been an A ball bullpen catcher instructor. 7-8k for him is prolly a nice chunk of change....

cbotnyse
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
wow never thought I'd see this. I will keep this on my watch list for sure.

soltrain21
05-15-2007, 07:26 PM
I don't blame him.. He's been an A ball bullpen catcher instructor. 7-8k for him is prolly a nice chunk of change....

Some things transend money. Well, at least to people who don't let the world revolve around it.

DaveIsHere
05-15-2007, 07:31 PM
What a putz!!!

That OK, he will not be able to hawk a 2007 World Series ring from the South Side!!

Scottiehaswheels
05-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Some things transend money. Well, at least to people who don't let the world revolve around it.Who's to say his kid doesn't need an operation or something... I'm certainly not gonna judge the guy... I'd judge if he's a guy that played on the team certainly. because every single one of those guys is a friggin millionaire... but a low A ball bullpen catcher? Guy prolly makes 30-35k a year.... Also dunno if ya'll noticed but he's not a Sox guy anymore... They might not like him wearing the bling with the O's.

ondafarm
05-15-2007, 07:39 PM

I do. I've kept my championship rings in spite of them being considerably less important in the history of baseball. Japanese Industrial League, Junior Division which of course you have to read in Japanese anyways.

BainesHOF
05-15-2007, 07:55 PM
World Series rings eventually come into the market from all championship teams, including some owned by players. It's the way of the world. Some people aren't into trophies, rings, memorabilia, etc., and would rather have the cash. To each their own.

Vernam
05-15-2007, 08:08 PM
In the bottom photo of the ring, does anyone know what "PD" stands for? :dunno:

Vernam

ewokpelts
05-15-2007, 08:45 PM
In the bottom photo of the ring, does anyone know what "PD" stands for? :dunno:

Vernamplayer deveolpment

ewokpelts
05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
World Series rings eventually come into the market from all championship teams, including some owned by players. It's the way of the world. Some people aren't into trophies, rings, memorabilia, etc., and would rather have the cash. To each their own.some players have sold them for charity(ditka auctioned his 1975 nfc ring for former nfl players pensions) . but if a guy just up and sells it, that really aint kosher

Vernam
05-15-2007, 08:48 PM
player deveolpmentThx! I wonder what other abbreviations are on the rings . . . Like maybe AJ's says "PitA" on it. :redneck

Vernam

HotelWhiteSox
05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Doesn't he get 2 anyways? Or is that just for players?

Man if I had the cash to throw around I'd be all over that

SoxxoS
05-15-2007, 09:19 PM

Ditto - Just based on the fact it's never going to lose value, as there will ALWAYS be rabid Sox fans to snatch it up in the future. You just need to make sure you dont lose it and keep it in a case.

That thing is sweet.

Scottiehaswheels
05-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Ditto - Just based on the fact it's never going to lose valueHuh? what happens when we win the WS like 5-6 out of 10... Bet they won't be quite as valuable then.... :D:

ewokpelts
05-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Doesn't he get 2 anyways? Or is that just for players?

players get 2?

Oblong
05-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Was this guy an A ball bullpen catcher in 2005? Does he have any history with the Sox other than this? If I had that job with an organization that I have no history with, say the Toronto Blue Jays, and they won, I'd not be opposed to making some good money off of it. Did he do anything to contribute to winning it? Heck, I'd be embarassed to even wear it. I always laugh when I see broadcasters flashing their WS rings while holding the mike.

MrT27
05-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Who's to say his kid doesn't need an operation or something... I'm certainly not gonna judge the guy... I'd judge if he's a guy that played on the team certainly. because every single one of those guys is a friggin millionaire... but a low A ball bullpen catcher? Guy prolly makes 30-35k a year.... Also dunno if ya'll noticed but he's not a Sox guy anymore... They might not like him wearing the bling with the O's.Exactly. What if he needs the money to pay for some of his kids college education? Ya'll can't tell me if a situation like this happened that you wouldn't sell a piece of jewelry to do it. If it was a player thats one thing, they are well off to say the least. But being a minor league catching instructor, he most likely not making much at all.

Frontman
05-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Honestly, even if I had the money, I just don't think I'd feel right just buying it. I mean, that is something that's supposed to mean something to the person it was given to.

I got to hold one for a few minutes last year (Ed Farmer's) and I couldn't imagine had I worked for the Sox and was given one parting with it. Part of me hopes its for a cause, part of me doesn't (as that means he's in need of that type of money, which is never good.)

MetroPD
05-15-2007, 10:31 PM
World Series rings eventually come into the market from all championship teams, including some owned by players. It's the way of the world. Some people aren't into trophies, rings, memorabilia, etc., and would rather have the cash. To each their own.

+1. World Series rings don't pay the bills or other future endeavors.

HotelWhiteSox
05-15-2007, 10:34 PM
players get 2?

Well, one player (Rowand or Buehrle) said they get a free replacement, and said they'd probably take advantage of it, to have 1 to wear and 1 to save

SoxxoS
05-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Huh? what happens when we win the WS like 5-6 out of 10... Bet they won't be quite as valuable then.... :D:

There is such a small supply of rings for ANY championship it doesn't matter. It wont lose money

sox647
05-15-2007, 10:41 PM
what a ********, get a second job if you need the money

itsnotrequired
05-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Who's to say his kid doesn't need an operation or something... I'm certainly not gonna judge the guy... I'd judge if he's a guy that played on the team certainly. because every single one of those guys is a friggin millionaire... but a low A ball bullpen catcher? Guy prolly makes 30-35k a year.... Also dunno if ya'll noticed but he's not a Sox guy anymore... They might not like him wearing the bling with the O's.

What these guys said. It isn't like Buehrle is selling his ring. Who knows what situation he is in? I would like to believe he is in a spot tough enough to justify selling his ring. Or maybe the organization threw him to the curb and he just doesn't care anymore.

cbotnyse
05-16-2007, 12:30 AM
I really want to buy it.

chaerulez
05-16-2007, 03:12 AM
I do. I've kept my championship rings in spite of them being considerably less important in the history of baseball. Japanese Industrial League, Junior Division which of course you have to read in Japanese anyways.

Difference is no one is offering you thousands for yours. And you were a player, so it probably means more than someone who was just a A ball catching instructor who I doubt spent any time with the major league club. It was probably nice for him to see the organization he was a part of win it all, but it's not like he spent any time with the team and therefore would have any sort of emotional attachment to it. If he needs the money, then good for him.

IlliniSox4Life
05-16-2007, 03:42 AM
what a ********, get a second job if you need the money
How do you know he doesn't have a second job, or a third job for that matter?

ewokpelts
05-16-2007, 08:36 AM
Was this guy an A ball bullpen catcher in 2005? Does he have any history with the Sox other than this? If I had that job with an organization that I have no history with, say the Toronto Blue Jays, and they won, I'd not be opposed to making some good money off of it. Did he do anything to contribute to winning it? Heck, I'd be embarassed to even wear it. I always laugh when I see broadcasters flashing their WS rings while holding the mike.

:hawk

Kiss my ass oblong. It takes a lot of work enduring DJ.

rdwj
05-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Seriously, I don't get the anger. We're fans, so we care. For a good number of guys in baseball, this is just a job. I know that if my company gave me a ring that I could get 10k for, I'd sell it in a heartbeat.

mwc44
05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
:hawk

Kiss my ass oblong. It takes a lot of work enduring DJ.

:bandance: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :bandance:

Lukin13
05-16-2007, 10:08 AM
a few things:

A. If I were a bullpen catcher and never stepped on the field I don't think I would treasure the ring quite as much.... or even wear it. My track team won conference my freshman year; I redshirted and didn't step on the track but twice all season... I haven't worn the damn ring yet. I am kind of suprised this Sox ring shows as much wear as it does.

B. Maybe this guy needed the cash??? People sell family heirlooms all the time due to circumstance.

C. Odds are that a "Sox" fan will not end up with this ring; there is bunch of guys that collect ONLY sports championship rings (kind of a lame hobby).

BeeBeeRichard
05-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Man wait till the Cubs fans get ahold of this.

You don't see ex-Cubs putting their World Series rings on the market. :tongue:

INSox56
05-16-2007, 11:37 AM
What these guys said. It isn't like Buehrle is selling his ring. Who knows what situation he is in? I would like to believe he is in a spot tough enough to justify selling his ring. Or maybe the organization threw him to the curb and he just doesn't care anymore.

Agreed...I don't (and don't think you can) judge things like this till you know the whole story.

WS in 05
05-16-2007, 11:42 AM
player deveolpment

What did the players say on them? Or ozzies?

Fenway
05-16-2007, 11:48 AM
That is all the ring was appraised for?

with an appraisal value of $7,950.00

The Red Sox ring on E-Bay was appraised at $14100

but it a beautiful ring

INSox56
05-16-2007, 12:31 PM

The Red Sox ring on E-Bay was appraised at $14100

but it a beautiful ring

Sorry fens, this has been and may be the only time I'll do this to something you say...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

kevingrt
05-16-2007, 12:34 PM
A bunch of us could pool money here and each have it a couple of weeks. That would be cool.

jabrch
05-16-2007, 12:34 PM
If I only had an extra 10K...

Fenway
05-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Sorry fens, this has been and may be the only time I'll do this to something you say...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

seriously $7500 seems low for a World Series ring....did the white Sox have 2 tier rings like some teams where the players got everything and support staff not as much?

INSox56
05-16-2007, 01:02 PM
seriously $7500 seems low for a World Series ring....did the white Sox have 2 tier rings like some teams where the players got everything and support staff not as much? OH ok....I thought you were saying the Sawx's ring was somehow better and prettier....?

Fenway
05-16-2007, 01:17 PM
OH ok....I thought you were saying the Sawx's ring was somehow better and prettier....?

The White Sox ring is beautiful...... The Boston ring is a little too flashy ( look at me )
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:7j09bQNVykYZQM:http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i20/jenngarland/WorldSeriesRing04.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i20/jenngarland/WorldSeriesRing04.jpg&imgrefurl=http://mainstusa.blogspot.com/search/label/Red%2520Sawx&h=246&w=215&sz=34&hl=en&start=1&sig2=68X2dSYNWBbPYqZunlasOQ&tbnid=7j09bQNVykYZQM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=96&ei=QzxLRuXRLYG-hgSOw7T3Aw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dred%2Bsox%2Bworld%2Bseries%2Bring%26g bv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26newwindow%3D1%26sa fe%3Doff)http://www.southsidebaseball.com/files/images/rings.thumbnail.jpg

soxfan13
05-16-2007, 01:23 PM
seriously $7500 seems low for a World Series ring....did the white Sox have 2 tier rings like some teams where the players got everything and support staff not as much?

I think the staff got the same rings.

StillMissOzzie
05-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Man wait till the Cubs fans get ahold of this.

You don't see ex-Cubs putting their World Series rings on the market. :tongue:

Count on it... there's a blurb in the sports section from our friends in today's Cubune.

The Red Sox ring on E-Bay was appraised at $14,100

but it's a beautiful ring
Perhaps my memory is failing me already, but back when they did the ring raffle I thought that the value was a lot higher than that, too.

SMO
:?:

puckereduppiet
05-16-2007, 02:33 PM
who are these people...bidder1 and so forth? I know it's a ebay question.
last bid $9100.00 with 6 days to go. thanks for the heads up on this.:D:

chisox83
05-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Thx! I wonder what other abbreviations are on the rings . . .

Vernam

If I recall correctly, Cooper's says ALCS CG4.

bahn1225
05-16-2007, 10:27 PM
It's at $10,100 right now.

I'm going to get a car title loan, wait until the last minute and scoop this up.:rolling:

Jjav829
05-16-2007, 11:21 PM
I really want to buy it.

Ditto. Let's split it. You get to wear it on odd numbered months and I'll wear it on even numbered months. I have the $100. Can you come up with the $10,000? :smile:

Norberto7
05-17-2007, 12:13 AM

I'd say your example isn't really analogous for a couple of reasons. Unless I underestimate the demand for JILJD championship rings, you're not going to get $10k if you put it on eBay.

Also, I'm guessing you probably played a more instrumental role in earning your rings than a minor league catching instructor. You'd probably have to stretch pretty far to see how Thomas Thompson contributed in any tangible way to the 2005 championship, esp. as the only catcher the Sox had that year who was even in their minor league system was Raul Casanova.

Can't say if I was in the situation of being given a valuable, yet impractical, item to which you have no real claim to, and someone wanted to give me $10,000 for it, I wouldn't at least listen.

Soxfanspcu11
05-17-2007, 03:20 AM
If I recall correctly, Cooper's says ALCS CG4.

This is correct.

I don't know what the other players/personal have on their rings, but I do know that they were allowed to choose.

Like you said, Coop has the four complete game thing on his ring. Although, I don't think that it is that long. IIRC, the person who the ring is issued to can fill up only four spaces with whatever they want. Meaning, Coop's ring says something like, "4SCG", or "4 straight complete games". I could be wrong though.

But like I said, what I DO know is that everyone who was issued a ring got to pick what they wanted engraved, which I think is pretty cool.

I'm sure that everyone that has a ring had something engraved that meant a lot to them. Who knows though.

balke
05-17-2007, 09:37 AM
That's wierd, its got his name on the side of it. Whoever buys the ring will say I have the bullpen catcher instructor's ring from the 2005 World Series Champ White Sox. Doesn't sound that special. I mean, it would be cool to have one, but not as cool as earning one or having your own name on it.

CoreyJ
05-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Our Company can make them. We have the same Rhino Cad system that developed the design.

http://www.coreyj.com

Go White Sox's

CoreyJ

CoreyJ
05-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Let me rephrase that. Our company can make them but will not because of trademark restrictions.

I got excited about this when I saw the post. It is the same designing system we use :)

Have fun in the new season.

coreyJ

kruzer31
05-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Bid is now over $21,000

JK

Brian26
05-20-2007, 11:59 PM
who are these people...bidder1 and so forth? I know it's a ebay question.

Ebay started a system a few months back. Anytime an auction goes over $150 (it might be $200, I can't remember), they hide all of the usernames of the bidders and classify them as bidder1, bidder2, etc as each new person makes the bid.

They did this to try to cut down on fraud. Previously the bidder's username was still visible on high-end auctions. After the auctions ended, scam artists would try to contact the bidders who came in 2nd place and 3rd place and try to offer to sell them the same item for less money (circumventing Ebay fees and the entire feedback/buyer protection system). Sometimes they legitimately had the same item to sell, but other times they didn't, and they were just phishing for paypal money and would never deliver on the item. You can see how this could cause headaches.

A lot of buyers on Ebay are outraged by the new system though because they think it gives sellers a chance to shill-bid on their own items under anonymity. Previously when the bidders names were visible, you could keep track of different auctions and easily see when the same person was bidding up the same seller's auctions (a red flag to shill bidding). Now that everything is anonymous, this almost gives the dishonest sellers a free pass at shilling their own items if they really want to.

puckereduppiet
05-22-2007, 03:20 PM
thanks Brian26.

MRM
05-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Who really cares why the guy got rid of his W.S. ring (He's not the one auctioning it off, a jewelry liquidator already owns the ring.) Whether it was greed or need or he lost it in a poker game really makes no difference. IT WAS HIS PROPERTY to do with as he pleases. I'd imagine we'll see a few more hit the market after this auction, $26k (with an hour left in the auction) for a ring valued at less than $8k is a pretty good return and Reinsdorf gave those things to virtually anyone who had anything to do with the White Sox organization other than beer vendors and bat boys.

How much "sentimental value" would such a ring have to a former minor league catching instructor? Heck, the Sox catchers that year were AJ and Widger. Neither of which ever had anything to do with this guy. If my former employer gave me a ring for a company accomplishment I had no part in, I'd sell it too. Especially if I could get nearly 4 times it's actual value in return.

SoxxoS
05-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Who really cares why the guy got rid of his W.S. ring (He's not the one auctioning it off, a jewelry liquidator already owns the ring.) Whether it was greed or need or he lost it in a poker game really makes no difference. IT WAS HIS PROPERTY to do with as he pleases. I'd imagine we'll see a few more hit the market after this auction, $26k (with an hour left in the auction) for a ring valued at less than $8k is a pretty good return and Reinsdorf gave those things to virtually anyone who had anything to do with the White Sox organization other than beer vendors and bat boys.

How much "sentimental value" would such a ring have to a former minor league catching instructor? Heck, the Sox catchers that year were AJ and Widger. Neither of which ever had anything to do with this guy. If my former employer gave me a ring for a company accomplishment I had no part in, I'd sell it too. Especially if I could get nearly 4 times it's actual value in return.

Stop using logic in this thread :D:

Scottiehaswheels
05-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Winning bid for all interested... $28,100

MRM
05-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Winning bid for all interested... $28,100

Weren't there 3 fans who won authentic W.S. rings in a raffle as well? $28k has to be looking pretty good to them, right about now.

Really, it's a pretty cheaply made ring for an event so significant. The largest diamond is only 5/100ths of a carat taking 95 separate diamonds to equal slightly over 2 carats total. If one or two of those miniature stones fell out, nobody would even notice. Some of these guys have single stone earrings larger than 2 carats. And Black onyx is dirt cheap, though it makes sense for a Sox ring. I'd imagine the molds cost more than the materials actually used in the rings.

Oh, and that $7950 appraisal was an INSURANCE appraisal. IOW, what it would cost to replace one ring from scratch. Creating the mold, etc. The actual value of the ring (what Jerry paid for them) is probably closer to $2k, or less.