PDA

View Full Version : After going through Spring Training...

HawkDJ
03-28-2002, 11:45 AM
...How have your thoughts changed about the Sox?

hold2dibber
03-28-2002, 12:30 PM
Before I ST I was very optimistic. After ST, I don't know what to think. The Sox were very good in the second half last year with a rotation of (mostly) Buehrle, Lowe, Garland, Wright, and Biddle (I think). They start this year with a rotation of Buehrle. Ritchie, Garland, Wright and Rauch. So, basically, Ritchie replaces Lowe and Rauch replaces Biddle. Seems like a bit of an improvement, especially if you factor in expected improvement by Garland and Wright. But the pitching was so remarkably horrible in ST, that I don' t know what to expect from any of these guys. That said, with Lofton at the top of the lineup and Big Frank back, Osuna and Barcelo back in the pen, and with Parque and (hopefully) Biddle back soon, the team should be significantly better than last year -- and, with the division as it now is, they probably only need 5-7 more wins than they had last year to make the post season. So I am guardedly optimistic, but I can't help but be worried by the ST performance of our pitchers.

And I have been extremely impressed with Willie Harris, Aaron Rowand, Jeff Liefer, Mike Porzio, Mario Valenzuala, Joe Borchard, and Jeff Liefer in spring training, which makes me feel pretty good about the team for the next few years.

Go Sox!

FarWestChicago
03-28-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
...How have your thoughts changed about the Sox? They haven't.

hold2dibber
03-28-2002, 12:35 PM
I forgot Hummel, him too.

czalgosz
03-28-2002, 12:50 PM
I don't feel much different about the Sox - I thought they would win the division mostly by default before ST, and I feel the same way now.

I am disappointed that of the pitchers who were injured last season, only Rauch, Barcelo and Osuna seem ready to start the season this year. I think the Sox will start the season slowly (though hopefully not as slowly as last year) and then turn it on as the season progresses and hopefully at least two of the Parque/Biddle/Howry/Wunsch quartet can return to form. If that happens, the Sox chances increase dramatically.

Ken Williams is not doing a lot to convince me that he knows how to turn this very good young core of talent into a championship ballclub. Right now, i'm in a "wait and see" mode - mostly just excited that real baseball is just around the corner.

RKMeibalane
03-28-2002, 12:53 PM
...will be a problem, I think. The Sox were able to finish last season strong, but they haven't been able to get anyone out this spring. I'm tired of seeing 11-5 scores, or whatever they keep losing by. I'd like to see a nice 5-3 or 5-2 game for once, one that has a fair amount of offense, but also some solid pitching and defense. Unfortunately, those two areas are where the Sox are weakest.

czalgosz
03-28-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
...will be a problem, I think. The Sox were able to finish last season strong, but they haven't been able to get anyone out this spring. I'm tired of seeing 11-5 scores, or whatever they keep losing by. I'd like to see a nice 5-3 or 5-2 game for once, one that has a fair amount of offense, but also some solid pitching and defense. Unfortunately, those two areas are where the Sox are weakest.

One thing that is good about the pitching this spring is that the Sox pitchers have been good with peripherals (K's, BBs, HRs). I have been paying pretty close attention, and opposing teams have been scoring a lot of runs with singles and doubles, which is at least as much a failure on the part of the defense as it is the pitching.

Not to say that that's any better (a run is a run, regardless of whether it's a failure on the part of the defense or the pitcher) but I think that guys like Garland and Wright are better pitchers than their spring #s show.

Jerry_Manuel
03-28-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
They haven't.

Same here.

Minnesota Twins = Central Champions.

I know, Jerry=:troll

cheeses_h_rice
03-28-2002, 01:30 PM
I am not nearly as confident as I was going into ST, but I still think the Sox will win the division by default.

Eff the Twinkies.