PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Ensberg

Lukin13
05-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Ok, before you guys burn me at the stake for suggesting we trade for another guy hitting around the Mendoza line......

I hear ya!

BUT, I am trying to be realistic here and I think he could be a guy that could really help the Sox.

Yes, he is struggling and the 'Stros are having a hard time finding a spot for him in the lineup everday lately. I believe he is at the least arbitration eligible after '07 and I am not so sure Houston isn't going to deal him before the deadline.

Outside of his recent BA woes, this guy is the exact opposite of our power hitters. He is VERY patient (I think I remember seeing that he sees more pitches than anyone); The guy had over 100 walks in 127 games last year and the guy has 25+ home run power in Houston. Konerko, Dye, Crede and Uribe have terrible OBP compared to sluggers with like numbers.

Obviously, we could use Crawford, Baldelli, Andruw Jones and a host of other studs but I think Ensberg would be a great addition to the Sox... that won't break the bank. In the cell he could have 30+ power, and with Crede, Thome and all of our other DH options with at least slight health issues; he at worst would be a great insurance policy.

It would be nice to see a Sox player that takes a pitch that isn't named Thome; and when we are short a slugger it would be nice to see a DH that isn't name Ozuna or Mack. I love Pablo just as much as the next guy but I don't think you can win the AL Central with him as your DH for a few weeks at a time.

cbrownson13
05-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Problem is...where is he gonna play? Thome will be back soon. He is not an upgrade over Crede.

He is an aging player (31) who seems to be two years removed from his prime. It's not like his BA is a fluke this year...he hit .235 last year.

And what are we going to trade for him? I'm not sure I'd even be willing to give up a mid-level prospect for him.

UserNameBlank
05-15-2007, 02:54 AM
Morgan seems to be taking that Aubrey Huff/Mike Lowell career dive. Maybe he'll end up playing for the Orioles? It sounds like a good fit.

IndianWhiteSox
05-15-2007, 05:48 AM
Ok, before you guys burn me at the stake for suggesting we trade for another guy hitting around the Mendoza line......

I hear ya!

BUT, I am trying to be realistic here and I think he could be a guy that could really help the Sox.

Yes, he is struggling and the 'Stros are having a hard time finding a spot for him in the lineup everday lately. I believe he is at the least arbitration eligible after '07 and I am not so sure Houston isn't going to deal him before the deadline.

Outside of his recent BA woes, this guy is the exact opposite of our power hitters. He is VERY patient (I think I remember seeing that he sees more pitches than anyone); The guy had over 100 walks in 127 games last year and the guy has 25+ home run power in Houston. Konerko, Dye, Crede and Uribe have terrible OBP compared to sluggers with like numbers.

Obviously, we could use Crawford, Baldelli, Andruw Jones and a host of other studs but I think Ensberg would be a great addition to the Sox... that won't break the bank. In the cell he could have 30+ power, and with Crede, Thome and all of our other DH options with at least slight health issues; he at worst would be a great insurance policy.

It would be nice to see a Sox player that takes a pitch that isn't named Thome; and when we are short a slugger it would be nice to see a DH that isn't name Ozuna or Mack. I love Pablo just as much as the next guy but I don't think you can win the AL Central with him as your DH for a few weeks at a time.

Hey if Houston pays for his whole salary, while we give up nothing useful, and he can get sent down after Thome comes back then why not?

Otherwise, I'll pass.

Lukin13
05-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Problem is...where is he gonna play? Thome will be back soon. He is not an upgrade over Crede.

He is an aging player (31) who seems to be two years removed from his prime. It's not like his BA is a fluke this year...he hit .235 last year.

And what are we going to trade for him? I'm not sure I'd even be willing to give up a mid-level prospect for him.

If he was acquired today I bet he would start in 75% of the remaining games; just a hunch.

Even if Thome, Crede and Paulie start every game the rest of the way (which is a major stretch) he could still spell all three guys at least 1 out of 7 games.

In another month I am guessing he will be had for essentially picking up his bill (and a low level prospect for the 'stros to save face). Right now he has to be available for any reliever or mid level prospect.

SoxxoS
05-15-2007, 11:46 PM
I am a huge Ensberg fan (just b/c I picked him up 2 years ago and he basically led me to a fantasy champ.) but I think he is a player that definitely could be questioned using the "special" vitamins. Just speculation - but he had a tough year 3 years ago, then game out smoking the next year when many were questioning his power.