PDA

View Full Version : Ryan "The Riot" love fest

SoxxoS
05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I am just posting this b/c every Cub fan under the sun I deal with think Ryan "The Riot" is just a fantastic player. I wanted to post this now, as his OPS, BA and overall batting statistics begin a fast retreat to his career numbers.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/ryan-theriot.shtml

His OPS

2001 - 593
2002- 648
2003 671 in high A / 621 in AA
2004 - 709
2005 - 756
2006 - 445 w/ Cubs 746 in AAA (As a 26 year old)
2007 - 934

I think his slide back to sucking starts soon...I say tonight. He is going to be a 750 OPS type guy for his career. Maybe.

MUsoxfan
05-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I actually enjoy the way he plays ball and I think he can develop into quite a player.

getonbckthr
05-14-2007, 03:47 PM
The white Pablo Ozuna is what "The Riot" is. On a side note I happen to like Theriot. He is fun to watch.

FedEx227
05-14-2007, 03:49 PM
He's one Cub player I can actually support. He seems like a pretty good guy and he hasn't given in to this annoying Cubdom that seems to overcome all of their players.

With that being said, he's getting a raw deal playing SS, while DeRosa who's done nothing for the Cubs except for get a big contract, continues to play so Hendry can attempt to defend said contract.

SoxxoS
05-14-2007, 03:50 PM
I actually enjoy the way he plays ball and I think he can develop into quite a player.

His career history doesn't agree with you.

A white Pablo Ozuna - That is what he is. That is a perfect comparison.

wdelaney72
05-14-2007, 03:54 PM
I actually enjoy the way he plays ball and I think he can develop into quite a player.+1

The white Pablo Ozuna is what "The Riot" is. On a side note I happen to like Theriot. He is fun to watch. Well said.

MUsoxfan
05-14-2007, 03:57 PM
His career history doesn't agree with you.

A white Pablo Ozuna - That is what he is. That is a perfect comparison.

This is his first full year in the big leagues. Guys do have a tendency to improve. (ex. Podsednik, Scott)

credefan24
05-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but who are we talking about? Is he a rookie?

SoxxoS
05-14-2007, 04:24 PM
This is his first full year in the big leagues. Guys do have a tendency to improve. (ex. Podsednik, Scott)

First off, guys like Scott are a HUGE rarity.

Second, Scott is in the big leagues for one reason - his speed. Without his speed, he wouldn't sniff the bigs.

Theriot doesnt have Pods speed. And he is 27.

A white Pablo Ozuna is Ryan Theriot.

TheVulture
05-14-2007, 04:50 PM
I don't see what race has to do with it.

goon
05-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Because white people play baseball differently.

crazyozzie02
05-14-2007, 05:51 PM
i agree with most of you guys. i actually enjoy him and i like the way he plays very hard and not like all the other cubs slobs

JB98
05-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Because white people play baseball differently.

Actually, they don't play quite as well in warm weather. I expect Theriot to struggle as the temperature rises.

chaerulez
05-14-2007, 07:19 PM
I am just posting this b/c every Cub fan under the sun I deal with think Ryan "The Riot" is just a fantastic player. I wanted to post this now, as his OPS, BA and overall batting statistics begin a fast retreat to his career numbers.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/ryan-theriot.shtml

His OPS

2001 - 593
2002- 648
2003 671 in high A / 621 in AA
2004 - 709
2005 - 756
2006 - 445 w/ Cubs 746 in AAA (As a 26 year old)
2007 - 934

I think his slide back to sucking starts soon...I say tonight. He is going to be a 750 OPS type guy for his career. Maybe.

The Riot is the stupidest nickname ever. Stupid Mike Murphy. But you posted his stats wrong, he had the 746 in AAA and 934 with the Cubs in 2006. 756 in the minors and 445 with the Cubs in 2005.

itsnotrequired
05-14-2007, 07:43 PM
He's one Cub player I can actually support. He seems like a pretty good guy and he hasn't given in to this annoying Cubdom that seems to overcome all of their players.

With that being said, he's getting a raw deal playing SS, while DeRosa who's done nothing for the Cubs except for get a big contract, continues to play so Hendry can attempt to defend said contract.

:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
05-14-2007, 07:47 PM
He'll get traded. To the White Sox. Zell will make sure of it.

getonbckthr
05-14-2007, 08:11 PM
I simply said he is the same as Pablo except he is white. If Pablo was a white guy his name would be Ryan "The Riot" Theriot. I wasn't implying that either was better than the other based on race.

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2007, 01:26 AM
I think he's a good hitter, but he'd scare me in the field if I were a Cubs fan.

UserNameBlank
05-15-2007, 02:50 AM
I like the guy. I've been saying all along that the Cubs would be a much better team if they opened the season with about 19 mil shaved off the payroll and Angel Guzman, Matt Murton, Ryan Theriot, and Felix Pie all starting everyday instead of Jason Marquis, Cliff Floyd, Mark DeRosa, and Jacque Jones. Stupid Jim Hendry thinks either that a) his last place, 60-some win 2006 team did not need to rebuild or b) his team did need to rebuild, and the answer to a rebuilding effort is blocking cheap young players with expensive mediocre veterans. I only hope that whoever buys the Cubs keeps Hendry around because he is the reason the Cubs suck, and it has nothing to do with goats and curses and fans catching popups.

IndianWhiteSox
05-15-2007, 05:54 AM
He'll get traded. To the White Sox. Zell will make sure of it.

:?:

Why you want that to happen?

I really don't think he's that good.

soxfan13
05-15-2007, 10:17 AM
First off, guys like Scott are a HUGE rarity.

Second, Scott is in the big leagues for one reason - his speed. Without his speed, he wouldn't sniff the bigs.

Theriot doesnt have Pods speed. And he is 27.

A white Pablo Ozuna is Ryan Theriot.

That was also the same age Pods was in his first full year.

I like the guy. I've been saying all along that the Cubs would be a much better team if they opened the season with about 19 mil shaved off the payroll and Angel Guzman, Matt Murton, Ryan Theriot, and Felix Pie all starting everyday instead of Jason Marquis, Cliff Floyd, Mark DeRosa, and Jacque Jones. Stupid Jim Hendry thinks either that a) his last place, 60-some win 2006 team did not need to rebuild or b) his team did need to rebuild, and the answer to a rebuilding effort is blocking cheap young players with expensive mediocre veterans. I only hope that whoever buys the Cubs keeps Hendry around because he is the reason the Cubs suck, and it has nothing to do with goats and curses and fans catching popups.

Marquis is actually looking like a bargain. I definately agree Pie should be starting. This kid has nothing left to prove at the AAA level. He was batting .400 beforethe call up and is batting .400 plus since being sent down. Soriano, Pie and Murton/Jones (platoon) would be the perfect outfield for them.IMO

chaerulez
05-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Marquis is actually looking like a bargain. I definately agree Pie should be starting. This kid has nothing left to prove at the AAA level. He was batting .400 beforethe call up and is batting .400 plus since being sent down. Soriano, Pie and Murton/Jones (platoon) would be the perfect outfield for them.IMO

It's a shame that Murton is bad at defense otherwise he'd be an everday player by now (although with how the Cubs handle players, you never know). But the guy is a perfect #2 hitter, draws walks and hits for contact.

palehozenychicty
05-15-2007, 11:14 AM

Which is why signing Floyd may have been the stupidest of all the stupid moves that Hendry made. He already had Pagan as well, whose played decently. Now he needs to get rid of two of those players (Jones, Floyd) just to play Pie and Pagan. Well, they are the Cubs for a reason. :rolleyes:

soxfan13
05-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Which is why signing Floyd may have been the stupidest of all the stupid moves that Hendry made. He already had Pagan as well, whose played decently. Now he needs to get rid of two of those players (Jones, Floyd) just to play Pie and Pagan. Well, they are the Cubs for a reason. :rolleyes:

Yeah I didnt agree with the Floyd signing but If I recall correctly Hendry did try to trade Jones but had no takers. So now they have a log jam because of that signing.

TheVulture
05-15-2007, 03:36 PM
I simply said he is the same as Pablo except he is white. If Pablo was a white guy his name would be Ryan "The Riot" Theriot. I wasn't implying that either was better than the other based on race.
Let me rephrase your previous statement into its component parts:

Theriot and Ozuna are similar players. Theriot is white and Ozuna is not.

Which of the above statements is utterly irrelevant?

UserNameBlank
05-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Let me rephrase your previous statement into its component parts:

Theriot and Ozuna are similar players. Theriot is white and Ozuna is not.

Which of the above statements is utterly irrelevant?
It isn't racist to recognize what color of skin a person has. The poster was simply pointing out the only obvious difference he could see between the players.

Let

Go.

UserNameBlank
05-15-2007, 05:22 PM

He has been doing well but I think just about everyone in baseball is expecting him to fall back to earth anytime now. There is a reason the Cards opted to let him go and start Braden Looper and Kip Wells, and also a reason why the Cubs IIRC were the only ones to bid for him at that price.

IF, and this is a BIG IF, Marquis has finally turned into a solid pitcher, I don't think you could attribute it to some genious scouting by the Cubs. It would just be luck more than anything else. Kind of like how KW caught lightning in a bottle with Esteban Loaiza.

Risk
05-15-2007, 05:36 PM
IF, and this is a BIG IF, Marquis has finally turned into a solid pitcher, I don't think you could attribute it to some genious scouting by the Cubs. It would just be luck more than anything else. Kind of like how KW caught lightning in a bottle with Esteban Loaiza.

I have to agree with you here. I think he will eventually fall back down to earth, and if anything, I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden he goes to the Chicago National League Baseball Organization and becomes a good pitcher after he was garbage under two of the better pitching coaches in baseball (Mazzone and Duncan, respectively).

Risk

UserNameBlank
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
I have to agree with you here. I think he will eventually fall back down to earth, and if anything, I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden he goes to the Chicago National League Baseball Organization and becomes a good pitcher after he was garbage under two of the better pitching coaches in baseball (Mazzone and Duncan, respectively).

Risk
Exactly. They picked up Jeff Weaver, Suppan, Wells, Looper, Ponson, when no one else wanted them and have actually had quite a bit of success resurrecting careers. The fact that an organization puts more stock in pitchers of the ilk mentioned above than Marquis really says something bad. Also I remember Marquis' name being thrown around in trade rumors just about every year he was there. Once or twice is one thing and could just be some reporter talking our of his ass, but after being "on the verge of being traded" so many times, you'd have to think the Cards weren't exactly hoping he'd stick around.

TheVulture
05-15-2007, 08:12 PM
It isn't racist to recognize what color of skin a person has. The poster was simply pointing out the only obvious difference he could see between the players.

Let

Go.
I never said it was racist, I said it was irrelevant.

Fuller_Schettman
05-15-2007, 09:54 PM

Do you really think anyone is going to tell Piniella how to fill out his lineup card??

The over/under on that one is "no flinkin' way"...