PDA

View Full Version : Peeling the Onion of Cubs Propaganda

jeffmcmahon
05-14-2007, 09:59 AM
George Bova has an article on the front page of WSI ("Peeling the Onion of Sox Fandom") arguing that the White Sox need all of Chicago behind them, not just Bridgeporters in green caps. The Tribune certainly realizes that about its Cubbies. I know the mods here aren't crazy about media-bias talk, but the Tribune's latest maneuver is just too outrageous. Sox fans need to know about it, for the reasons George cites. Here's what the Tribune has been up to in the Spanish-language media when they thought we weren't looking:

Hoy, the Tribune-owned Spanish-language daily in Chicago, recently launched an ongoing full-page feature called "Conoce a tus Cubs" — Know Your Cubs. Hoy has no such feature for the White Sox.

"Conoce a tus Cubs" is an obvious effort to counter the White Sox's advantage among Latino fans — an advantage built in part upon a history of great Latino players like Luis Aparicio, Minnie Minoso, Jorge Orta, and Ozzie Guillen.

In its campaign to capture Latino Chicago, Tribune lets no journalistic principle stand in its way. It blurs the lines between journalism and advertising and between reporter and subject:

Above the headline of Thursday's story in the paper edition of Hoy — an interview with Cub Ronny Cedeño — appears the Cubs logo, the URL of the Cubs' Spanish-language webpage, and an ad for Chevy, framed in ivy. Yet the feature is no advertisement: Hoy promotes it with a front-page puff box, a practice reserved for editorial content.

If we do happen to pay a visit to LosCubs.com, we also find "Conoce a tus Cubs" featured there as an integral part of the Cubs website. (There's a graphic at www.cubune.com (http://www.cubune.com/2007/05/tribune-uses-hoy-to-promote-cubs-only.html) showing the same content in Hoy and at Cubs.com) Try to imagine the Tribune running parts of the White Sox website in their editorial space, packaging it as news. Hard to imagine? That's exactly what Tribune-owned Hoy is doing for the Tribune-owned Cubs, and to the exclusion of the White Sox.

I know some of you don't care about this media bias stuff, but it does matter: the two teams are competing for a finite number of fans, their budgets depend on that competition, and it's as wrong as wrong gets for a newspaper to use its editorial space to try to influence the market to its own advantage.

itsnotrequired
05-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Hoy, the Tribune-owned Spanish-language daily in Chicago, recently launched an ongoing full-page feature called "Conoce a tus Cubs" — Know Your Cubs. Hoy has no such feature for the White Sox.

Do you know if they will be adding a White Sox feature in the future?

voodoochile
05-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Jeff... I realize the website is a major work of love for you, but it may be time to put it to bed. The Trib will soon no longer own the flubbies and that will mean the bias will be mitigated or even erased. At least the reasons for it will be erased.

Fenway
05-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Jeff... I realize the website is a major work of love for you, but it may be time to put it to bed. The Trib will soon no longer own the flubbies and that will mean the bias will be mitigated or even erased. At least the reasons for it will be erased.

Nothing will change for awhile especially if the Tribune keeps WGN Radio

Believe me the moving of the press box has upset the Knights of the Keyboard

jeffmcmahon
05-14-2007, 01:11 PM

I really hope so, Voodoo. I would love to put the Cubune Watch to bed and have the time back. In fact, I will put it to bed just as soon as some kind of enduring balance and fairness appears. I'm looking forward to that day. I hope Sam Zell cleans the place up, but even after the Cubs are sold, there's a Cubbie culture that's been nurtured inside that Tower for 25 years. That's got to change, too.

I can't imagine Hoy running the same feature on the White Sox and dupicating content from the Sox website. They're publicizing the Cubs on the Hoy mainpage which includes Hoy Los Angeles and Hoy New York. Are they going to publicize the Sox in LA and NY? It'll be notable if they do. We'll see.

BainesHOF
05-14-2007, 01:31 PM
In this instance, the Tribune Company couldn't be any more condescending toward its Hispanic readers of Hoy.

ewokpelts
05-16-2007, 09:00 AM
BTW, they just put out a presser on cubs.com explaing thier promotional alliance.