PDA

View Full Version : Where was Thome?

hula
05-13-2007, 09:23 PM
I read in the Sun Times that Thome was going to be rehabbing in Charlotte (Ft. Mill, SC) this weekend, so I got tix and drove there today (from Durham) and was sure excited to get a chance to see him! I was very disappointed to see he wasn't there, altough I was told he's feeling too sore to play yet, so he stayed with the Sox and was on their bench yesterday. Anyone know anymore info on this?

Yes, Toby did hit that lead off homer in the 1st. And Anderson fielded well, and had a nice double, but he seemed more sluggish that usual walking up to the plate and back to the dugout when coming out of center. He just seems really bummed out to me...

Just as a sideline, while Charlotte does not have the prettiest, most modern ballpark, it has a great concourse like the Cell where you can watch the game were all the concessions are. The fans really love the team and the people who work there are sooo nice! They have great grilled brats, dogs, and burgers using real charcoal at the BBQ pit. Also lots of other good concession stands, but no Pepsi! There's a nice restaurant in the upper deck that's open to anyone, no matter what seat/ticket you hold and they have various themed all-u-can-eat buffets Thursday-Saturday. Of course all the food stands and the tix have those great affordable minor league prices.

Go-Go Sox!

:sockem

whitesoxfan
05-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I also read an article where Thome was supposed to make his rehab assignment starting on Friday and then he would be ready for the Yankees series. Unfortunately, it looks like that won't be the case :(:

gobears1987
05-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I also read an article where Thome was supposed to make his rehab assignment starting on Friday and then he would be ready for the Yankees series. Unfortunately, it looks like that won't be the case :(:
All the reports I heard from the Sox said they will activate him for the scum laden A's series. Never heard anything about NY.

CHISOXFAN13
05-13-2007, 10:51 PM
They kept him here to hit BP and are waiting to send him to Charlotte starting this week. With the Cubs series, it made more sense for him to get a full week of AB's there and be activated in time for Oakland.

hula
05-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks for that update. Unfortunately it's a day game tomorrow in Charlotte and then they go on the road to Columbus. Guess I'll miss 'em for sure! Damn! :mad:

whitesoxfan
05-14-2007, 01:50 AM
All the reports I heard from the Sox said they will activate him for the scum laden A's series. Never heard anything about NY.

Hmm, I know I definitely read an article that said they were hoping he'd be back for the Yankees series. But I guess it does make sense to hold him another week seeing we'll be at Wrigley this coming weekend. Might as well give him the AB's he needs in Charlotte for a week.

ondafarm
05-14-2007, 09:02 AM
. . . And Anderson fielded well, and had a nice double, but he seemed more sluggish that usual walking up to the plate and back to the dugout when coming out of center. He just seems really bummed out to me...

I guess I can't blame him.

Foulke You
05-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Hmm, I know I definitely read an article that said they were hoping he'd be back for the Yankees series. But I guess it does make sense to hold him another week seeing we'll be at Wrigley this coming weekend. Might as well give him the AB's he needs in Charlotte for a week.
Frankly, I'm surprised they don't activate him for the Cubs series. Not because of the rivalry but because of his value as a pinch hitter in National League parks. If he is well enough to DH in AAA games in Charlotte, surely he is well enough to at least pinch hit for interleague play? Are they concerned about him not seeing enough live pitching yet?:?:

05-14-2007, 11:15 AM

Why? He should be grateful to be playing professional baseball.

Suck it up BA.

ondafarm
05-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Why? He should be grateful to be playing professional baseball.

Suck it up BA.

Release him and a whole lot of people will jump to sign him to a minor league contract immediately.

Mickster
05-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Release him and a whole lot of people will jump to sign him to a minor league contract immediately.

That is why we are keeping him. :wink:

hula
05-14-2007, 01:54 PM

I guess. At one point he was walking so slow up to the plate he tripped a little. Maybe he'd rather have a desk job than play a "game" for a living? I imagine the conversation goes something like this... (Ohhh, I have to go play baseball again today. What a bummer! Why can't I just be tied to a desk all day??? It's just not fair! What I really wanted to be was a garbageman, but no, I have to play baseball for the White Sox! Life really stinks!) I do wonder sometimes....

ondafarm
05-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I guess. At one point he was walking so slow up to the plate he tripped a little. Maybe he'd rather have a desk job than play a "game" for a living? I imagine the conversation goes something like this... (Ohhh, I have to go play baseball again today. What a bummer! Why can't I just be tied to a desk all day??? It's just not fair! What I really wanted to be was a garbageman, but no, I have to play baseball for the White Sox! Life really stinks!) I do wonder sometimes....

Gotta say I've been there. I got called up to the AAA squad once and the manager wouldn't let me even warm up the pitcher between innings when the catcher had just batted or catch in the bullpen. For awhile he wouldn't permit me to sit in the dugout, even on a back bench, but the team's chaplain interposed himself. Eventually, I was sent back down to AA and I had about a week of really dragging, hitting nothing and eventually, I called a mistake, which rocketed out of the stadium for a three run homer in the last of the eigth, turning a two run lead into a deficit. That was an epiphany for me and I raked a double on the first good pitch of our ninth, stole third and then scored on a sac fly to tie it up. Still, losing a win (it came out as a tie) was enough to remind me not to mope about, I went 4 for 5 the next day with three rbis and two plated as well in a 6-2 victory.

Perhaps I'm superimposing, but I presume he'll snap out of it.