PDA

View Full Version : Why you never leave a game early

Fenway
05-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Baltimore has a 5-0 lead with 1 out nobody on in the 9th. Guthrie is lights out. Then Crisp reaches on an error and Guthrie pulled....Boston wins 6-5.

MarySwiss
05-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Baltimore has a 5-0 lead with 1 out nobody on in the 9th. Guthrie is lights out. Then Crisp reaches on an error and Guthrie pulled....Boston wins 6-5.

Oh, shut up! :tongue:

Fenway
05-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh, shut up! :tongue:

Hi Mary not all good here however as Beckett left with an injury

MarySwiss
05-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi Mary not all good here however as Beckett left with an injury

Hi, Fens. If that is an attempt to make me feel better, it falls a bit short.

In case you were fortunate enough to not see today's Sox/KC game, but are feeling masochistic, check out my recap. I watched EVERY LAST PITCH and somehow managed to not kick in the TV screen or smash my banjo. (Yet.)

Fenway
05-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Hi, Fens. If that is an attempt to make me feel better, it falls a bit short.

In case you were fortunate enough to not see today's Sox/KC game, but are feeling masochistic, check out my recap. I watched EVERY LAST PITCH and somehow managed to not kick in the TV screen or smash my banjo. (Yet.)

I guess you will be rooting for Boston the next 4 days as the Kitties come to Fenway

DumpJerry
05-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Uh Fen, we're Chicago White Sox fans, not Los Angeles White Sox fans.

TDog
05-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Along the same lines, Joe Borowski came in to protect a 7-5 lead in Oakland today. After retiring the first two, he gave up a single, home run and two more singles before Cleveland decided it was time to yank the closer. Cabreara's second pitch was a game-ending home run.

I know Aardsma did something similar in Detroit, but Borowski is the go-to closer on the Indians' staff.

Not that we haven't been saying he had such explosive abilities in him.

QCIASOXFAN
05-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I guess you will be rooting for Boston the next 4 days as the Kitties come to FenwayI will be, then after the Tigers win the series it will make me dislike the Saux much more.:cool:

gobears1987
05-13-2007, 09:39 PM
I stayed for all 9 innings of today's 11-1 disaster. I never leave games early. I paid good money for the ticket so I'm going to get as much out of it was possible, even if it's painful to watch.

HotelWhiteSox
05-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Along the same lines, Joe Borowski came in to protect a 7-5 lead in Oakland today. After retiring the first two, he gave up a single, home run and two more singles before Cleveland decided it was time to yank the closer. Cabreara's second pitch was a game-ending home run.

Jack Cust is on fire

Fenway
05-14-2007, 08:55 AM
There are some rumblings out of Baltimore that this game could have cost Sam Perlozzo his job.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles14may14,0,4728061.story?coll=bal-sports-baseball

The Racehorse
05-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Just heard on The Herd's spanning the globe segment that some Boston guy is reporting that Beckett's finger injury isn't a blister, but an avulsion (http://www2.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwmednlm?book=Medical&va=avulsion) . I remember seeing somewhere before the start of the season that Beckett takes some kind of medication due to a skin condition.

I have no doubt that he'll miss time if only because I have him on my dynasty team that includes Pedro, Carpenter, Liriano & El Duque who are all on the DL. I wish it were just a blister.

EDIT: well, after reading the story below, they're relieved that it isn't a blister. I would've thought that an avulsion would be more serious. For Beckett's sake, I hope he can bounce back right away because he's having a great season so far.

Fenway
05-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Just heard on The Herd's spanning the globe segment that some Boston guy is reporting that Beckett's finger injury isn't a blister, but an avulsion (http://www2.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/mwmednlm?book=Medical&va=avulsion) . I remember seeing somewhere before the start of the season that Beckett takes some kind of medication due to a skin condition.

I have no doubt that he'll miss time if only because I have him on my dynasty team that includes Pedro, Carpenter, Liriano & El Duque who are all on the DL. I wish it were just a blister.

We were overdue for something bad to happen....

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/05/14/beckett_hopeful_he_wont_miss_start/

SBSoxFan
05-14-2007, 10:31 AM
We were overdue for something bad to happen....

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/05/14/beckett_hopeful_he_wont_miss_start/

Doesn't sound too bad. Did I miss something?

Fenway
05-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Doesn't sound too bad. Did I miss something?

The media here is suggesting the Red Sox are not telling us everything......

SBSoxFan
05-14-2007, 10:44 AM
The media here is suggesting the Red Sox are not telling us everything......

Oh. Concerning Beckett or Manny ... or Lester?

Fenway
05-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Oh. Concerning Beckett or Manny ... or Lester?

3 for 3 :tongue:

Giv20
05-14-2007, 11:10 AM
I was standing on the concourse by the gift shop during Buehrle's no-hitter and people were actually leaving after the Sox batted in the 8th. Morons.

TDog
05-14-2007, 03:26 PM
I was standing on the concourse by the gift shop during Buehrle's no-hitter and people were actually leaving after the Sox batted in the 8th. Morons.

I worked for a guy who always left early, even in close games. This was bad for me because we went to games together -- and he was my boss.

I never leave games early. I've been to a lot of baseball games, but no matter how many I go to, there is a chance I'll see something I've never seen before. A few years ago, I heard Art Kusnyer say he had seen a triple play without anybody hitting the ball. I couldn't conceive of such a thing, but a few months later, I read that it happened in a Phillies game.

Granted, with the Sox down by 10 with 2 out and none on in the bottom of the ninth, you aren't going to see a triple play. The Sox would have to a major league record -- which the 106-loss 1970 White Sox share -- to win it in 9. They would have to break a 106-year-old record set by the Indians just to tie the game in that situation. It's not going to happen. It didn't happen.

But if it did happen, I want to have been there.

The price is a little bit of my time. I've already made the investment of going to the ballpark.