PDA

View Full Version : Willie Harris Article

DeadMoney
05-13-2007, 03:57 PM
When I was looking for something on Wickman's return, I came across an article about Willie Harris on the Braves website.

Link:
http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070513&content_id=1962178&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

The article basically just talks about his success so far, but mentions:

"Harris credits his offensive consistency with the wider batting stance that Braves Minor League hitting instructor Jack Maloof helped him develop in Spring Training. He's no longer striding during his swing or attempting to produce the power that his former American League employers sought."

:?:

I know he played for Boston in between the Sox and Atlanta, but Boston certainly didn't need his power (as they have enough IMO). So, is the author saying the Sox wanted him to be a power producer? And, can it be possible that Atlanta thinks the Sox wanted power out of him? Because, we all know WITHOUT a doubt, that the Sox did not seek him to produce power. It just kind of made me smirk this morning and I'm glad he's having success, but this just made me laugh.

QCIASOXFAN
05-13-2007, 04:20 PM
That is pretty funny, and stupid at the same time. Either the person who wrote it got him mixed up with somebody else or has no idea what hes talked about. He has 929 career AB's and 5 homers.:unsure:

tebman
05-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Either the person who wrote it got him mixed up with somebody else or has no idea what hes talked about.

Better check with Bafia -- she'll know!

delben91
05-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Better check with Bafia -- she'll know!

Exclamation points galore!

Where is bafia anyway? I miss her enthusiasm.

JGarlandrules20
05-13-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm glad to see him doing well!

I was reading an article about him earlier in the season and it said he felt that the Red Sox wanted him to become more of a power hitter? Lol.

DeadMoney
05-13-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm glad to see him doing well!

I was reading an article about him earlier in the season and it said he felt that the Red Sox wanted him to become more of a power hitter? Lol.

That's probably the reason for this to be brought up in the article, but it sounds more like an excuse to let him go on the Red Sox behalf. Kind of like, "well, we wanted you to be more of a power threat, but since that didn't pan out, we're going to let you go."

DickAllen72
05-13-2007, 08:54 PM
I wish Willie nothing but success (except if he's playing against the White Sox).

balke
05-13-2007, 11:06 PM
well, I can see a team wanting more doubles out of Willie. He's got speed, and very few extra base bits ever. His singles weren't THAT valuable because he wasn't a good base stealer. He was faster than lightning for the Sox though. Just 1st to third though.

I wish him well, if anyone can make a player out of him its Atlanta.

StillMissOzzie
05-14-2007, 01:01 AM
When I was looking for something on Wickman's return, I came across an article about Willie Harris on the Braves website.

Link:
http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070513&content_id=1962178&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

The article basically just talks about his success so far, but mentions:

"Harris credits his offensive consistency with the wider batting stance that Braves Minor League hitting instructor Jack Maloof helped him develop in Spring Training. He's no longer striding during his swing or attempting to produce the power that his former American League employers sought."

:?:

I know he played for Boston in between the Sox and Atlanta, but Boston certainly didn't need his power (as they have enough IMO). So, is the author saying the Sox wanted him to be a power producer? And, can it be possible that Atlanta thinks the Sox wanted power out of him? Because, we all know WITHOUT a doubt, that the Sox did not seek him to produce power. It just kind of made me smirk this morning and I'm glad he's having success, but this just made me laugh.

I think that the writer got him confused with Willie Mays Hayes, and his prior American League employer, the Cleveland Indians.

SMO
:gulp:

RadioheadRocks
05-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Going to DC this week and I have tickets to see the Nationals play the Braves on Wednesday night (only in RFK one more year, new park ready next season)... would be great to see Willie play again. :smile:

Nellie_Fox
05-14-2007, 01:31 AM
I'd be surprised if it was the Sox and Ozzie who wanted Willie going for more power. It's the ESPN Sawx who seem to want everyone going for the downs.

Irishsox1
05-14-2007, 09:40 AM
For as fast as Hollywood was, he was one of the worst base stealers.

MisterB
05-14-2007, 10:42 AM
For as fast as Hollywood was, he was one of the worst base stealers.

Yeah his 78% career success rate really sucks.

I know everyone expected Wee Willie to steal every time he was on base (which wasn't often enough), but a good chunk of stealing bases is picking your spots to give you the best chance at success. Guys that steal successfully and frequently don't exactly grow on trees.

D. TODD
05-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah his 78% career success rate really sucks.

I know everyone expected Wee Willie to steal every time he was on base (which wasn't often enough), but a good chunk of stealing bases is picking your spots to give you the best chance at success. Guys that steal successfully and frequently don't exactly grow on trees. People became frustrated because they had 50 plus steal expectations for him. Then the whole Willie is a terrible base stealer took on a life of it's own regardless if it had any truth to it. I hope Willie does great for the "Bravos", as his pinch hit and world series winning run in game 4 will always be a fond memory for me .:D: